• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sweat/jogging pants, and electric toothbrushes

TheNerdAbides

Time of past OR future Camino
September '23
Hi folks, I've been loving reading through so many posts on here! I'm getting ready to do the CF starting in late September, and two questions have come to mind.

- I'm thinking of taking one traditional pair of hiking pants for the hiking, and a pair of glorified, obscenely expensive sweat/jogging pants for evening wear (and possibly for some daytime hiking). Any thoughts on that? Would sweat pants be too informal for restaurants?

- I'm still working on my pack weight, but it's likely I'm going to want to pack my electric toothbrush; the hygienic value is just far too vast to go a full month of old school manual brushing. But I don't want to be waking people up in the mornings. Are bathrooms typically far enough away that the noise wouldn't be a concern?

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are the pants quick drying? Will you be sad if they are destroyed by the end of the trip? Those are things to consider before packing anything for caminos. Restaurants are used to pilgrims I all sorts of attires, you may be refused entry in a fine dining place but all else may be fine.

About the toothbrush... what about the weight? And if it's that noisy that it would be a concern waking up people, then maybe it is an issue? But that said, bathroom location varies a lot and albergues are more noisy when people are waking up. Carry what works for you and adapt if needed there.

When talking sweatpants i think of the cotton type. Which means they are rather heavy and dry slowly. So i personally would not take them, but if they give you more comfort than the downsides, why not.
From a fashion point, don't worry.

Same with the toothbrush. I would not dream of carrying such a heavy item. But i would not be worried about THAt being the thing that wakes up other pilgrims in the morning.

As for managing weight: With every single (!!) item that goes into your pack, always ask yourself if the benefit of that item is worth carrying its weight 800km on your back. If the answer is "yes", go for it. If the answer is "maybe", leave it at home.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi folks, I've been loving reading through so many posts on here! I'm getting ready to do the CF starting in late September, and two questions have come to mind.

- I'm thinking of taking one traditional pair of hiking pants for the hiking, and a pair of glorified, obscenely expensive sweat/jogging pants for evening wear (and possibly for some daytime hiking). Any thoughts on that? Would sweat pants be too informal for restaurants?

- I'm still working on my pack weight, but it's likely I'm going to want to pack my electric toothbrush; the hygienic value is just far too vast to go a full month of old school manual brushing. But I don't want to be waking people up in the mornings. Are bathrooms typically far enough away that the noise wouldn't be a concern?

Thanks!
For me an electric toothbrush is a ‘must’ from a hygienic standpoint!! Didn’t know ‘manual’ toothbrushes were still used much?!! I am guessing that walking in rural environments probably is not great for teeth (dust, etc) so even more important. They are very light anyway!!!

Sure noise can be managed. Can’t be noisier than a flushing toilet!! You can always walk outside and brush!

Last edited:
We carry electric toothbrushes now. They are light and clean better. As far as your evening wear. I agree it should be quick drying and multipurpose.

Last edited:
I love my electric toothbrush at home/in real life but I've never manage to justify bringing it and its charger for a camino - just more stuff and it's simpler to use a bamboo toothbrush - easy and cheap to replace too if you mislay it.
Absolutely the electric cleans much better but really will a few weeks/months make that much difference... And you could use it as an opportunity to "mindfully" brush your teeth, ensuring you brush for min 2 minutes etc etc

Thanks!
Because of the extra weight, I did not take my electric toothbrush either time and it is the one thing I missed the most.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks!
I’m prioritising taking my electric toothbrush. But I’d recommend taking a 2nd pair of hiking trousers (or shorts) rather than sweatpants. I’m walking around the same time as you and given the time of the year I’m not confident that thicker material eg sweatpants, is going to dry overnight all of the time

When talking sweatpants i think of the cotton type. Which means they are rather heavy and dry slowly.
These are polyester sweat pants, but yes they're still relatively heavy and I expect won't dry super fast -- but I also don't anticipate them getting wet too often, and I wouldn't expect to need to wash them that frequently. Still, very valid concerns, the jury is still out on them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Electric toothbrush, is it 110, 220 or battery operated?
I think all electric toothbrushes themselves are battery operated, don't think many people to be putting a 110 or 220 device straight into their mouths ;) But the charger (yet more space and weight) would be electric. My toothbrush lasts about 3ish weeks on a charge, so unfortunately I would need to charge at least once on the trip.

Because of the extra weight, I did not take my electric toothbrush either time and it is the one thing I missed the most.
Sooo actually! I just discovered -- my regular electric tooth brush tops in at a little over 2lbs (34 oz), PLUS the charger. No bueno... BUT, the Quip toothbrushes are somewhere in the 7oz to 12oz range, depending who you believe on the internet. Plus a 0.5oz AAA battery that lasts three months, so no need for a charger. To me that makes it a no-brainer, I'm definitely bringing one along.

Edit: Apparently my sense of weight is waaaay off. Also I guess the weights above were shipping weights. I finally found my scale: Sonicare is 4.5oz without any case or charger. Quip is 1.5oz including the covering case, which I will bring, and it doesn't need a charger.

Last edited:

Thanks!
I did terribly miss my electric tooth brush, but, I'd leave it at home (again).

I plan to bring my Oral-B battery operated toothbrush on my planned April Camino. Weight is 2.4 Oz per website (I assume plus weight of a AA battery).

I brought my Gleem battery powered toothbrush this year. It weighs 1.2 oz/35 gm (including battery, but without its case which I don't bring). I recently started using an OralB electric toothbrush, which does a better job, but I would never bring it on the Camino. My old manual toothbrush weighs 0.5 oz/14 gm, so it's not a huge amount of extra weight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks!
Do NOT take an electric toothbrush. You will live without it and you will regret the extra weight. Almost all restaurants along the way expect to see pilgrims in pilgrim wear.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just bring a plain old toothbrush. I'm 71 and have managed to keep all my teeth so far. My grandmothers all died pretty close to 100 and all but one had all their teeth and didn't use an electric so :🤷:

It's 6 weeks. But do what makes your heart happy.

I wouldn't take regular sweat pants for two reasons, weight and they'd never get dry unless you're walking in summer in which case, why take sweat pants?

Do I sound tired and cranky? ::😆::

I just bring a plain old toothbrush. I'm 71 and have managed to keep all my teeth so far. My grandmothers all died pretty close to 100 and all but one had all their teeth and didn't use an electric so :🤷:

It's 6 weeks. But do what makes your heart happy.

I wouldn't take regular sweat pants for two reasons, weight and they'd never get dry unless you're walking in summer in which case, why take sweat pants?

Do I sound tired and cranky? ::😆::
No, Annie, you sound very practical to me! 👍

My electric toothbrush has served me for a 5-week Camino without a recharge. As a dental implant is worth about 80% of a Camino expense, I'll continue to work with the electric. For my nether regions, a pair of Tilley hiking shorts and a pair of Tilley's old technical hiking pants, generally used in the evenings.

These are polyester sweat pants, but yes they're still relatively heavy and I expect won't dry super fast -- but I also don't anticipate them getting wet too often, and I wouldn't expect to need to wash them that frequently. Still, very valid concerns, the jury is still out on them.
So, get them soaking wet, wring them out by hand, and hang them out to dry draped over a line, inside, in an unheated room.
Still wet/ damp in the morning? Leave them at home!!

Sooo actually! I just discovered -- my regular electric tooth brush tops in at a little over 2lbs (34 oz), PLUS the charger. No bueno... BUT, the Quip toothbrushes are somewhere in the 7oz to 12oz range, depending who you believe on the internet. Plus a 0.5oz AAA battery that lasts three months, so no need for a charger. To me that makes it a no-brainer, I'm definitely bringing one along.

Edit: Apparently my sense of weight is waaaay off. Also I guess the weights above were shipping weights. I finally found my scale: Sonicare is 4.5oz without any case or charger. Quip is 1.5oz including the covering case, which I will bring, and it doesn't need a charger.
I have a Phillips Sonicare toothbrush. Toothbrush and case plus charger comes in at 12oz. Worth it to me.

I’m sure this agonising over toothbrushes seems crazy to many on this thread :)

But, damn it, implants in particular are expensively demanding little beasts when it comes to ongoing maintenance over a multi-week trip…

So, get them soaking wet, wring them out by hand, and hang them out to dry draped over a line, inside, in an unheated room.
Still wet/ damp in the morning? Leave them at home!!
I think I will try that test! One surprise already - the sweat pants weigh less than the hiking pants. 15oz for the hiking pants, 14oz for the sweat pants.

Thanks!
Philips makes a lightweight 1 AAA battery electric travel toothbrush. It's not as aggressively powered as the heavy spinning head types but if you like some added cleaning over a manual I recommend it. It's also not as noisy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think all electric toothbrushes themselves are battery operated, don't think many people to be putting a 110 or 220 device straight into their mouths ;) But the charger (yet more space and weight) would be electric. My toothbrush lasts about 3ish weeks on a charge, so unfortunately I would need to charge at least once on the trip.
I carry a Phillips One- it is rechargeable on a USB cord, and I have found that the charge lasts longer than the instructions say. If you don't carry the case it come in it will be lighter, but even with case it is not heavy.

I carry a Phillips One- it is rechargeable on a USB cord, and I have found that the charge lasts longer than the instructions say. If you don't carry the case it come in it will be lighter, but even with case it is not heavy.
I tried the Quip, it's not quite as aggressive as I would prefer... I like the idea of not needing a separate charger, I'll take a look, thanks!

A word of warning though, for those who are concerned that their electric toothbrush may be too heavy. You may read posts on this forum with weight saving tips where they advise sawing your toothbrush in half or drilling holes in the handle to save weight. This is not advisable for electric toothbrushes.

A word of warning though, for those who are concerned that their electric toothbrush may be too heavy. You may read posts on this forum with weight saving tips where they advise sawing your toothbrush in half or drilling holes in the handle to save weight. This is not advisable for electric toothbrushes.
No no, see, if you have a removable battery then you take the battery out, carefully drill out plastic holes leaving only enough for it to be structurally sound, then put the battery back in. With the battery in place, the remaining plastic shouldn't break in half. Hopefully...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But is the charger 220 or 110 volts?
For Spain and Europe in general you need 220 volt devices.
Mine uses a charging cord that plugs into a USB port- it is not 110 or 220. It is the same cord that my Ipad uses to charge.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.