• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Poles or Staff???

My shoulders, however, feel as though they'd like to reach up and punch me in the face
On a camino for which I prepared too little, I got to dinner the first night in Villadangos del Paramo and discovered that I could not hold a fork and knife without my hands cramping!! That was after using trekking poles for a decade. They can surprise you...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The poles were excellent - my knees feel as though they could take another 30km without discomfort. My shoulders, however, feel as though they'd like to reach up and punch me in the face if they had enough strength remaining. It is certainly a new type of movement, and changes your posture substantially. I'm sure as I become accustomed to them (and readjust my pack straps) I'll learn to love them, but as a newcomer to their use (and a simpleton with the ability to learn from his mistakes) I'd strongly recommend that you don't just start using them on a 30km hike with full gear when you're only facing more of the same the next day.
I does indicate that you are using them correctly, and not fairy tapping them! I find it takes a bit of adjustment to get the amount of force you use right - ease off if necessary to find a level that is comfortable, and gradually increase from there. I also find differences going up and down hill, compared to when I are on relatively flat terrain. Depending upon how steep it is, I will lengthen my poles by 5 - 10 cm going downhill so that I don't start bending too far forward. There are a couple of places on the CF where I needed to do that, but it is not common.

"not fairy tapping them!"

I'm curious about this. I've used poles, successfully I think, and I wouldn't do the camino without them. However, I'm wondering if I'm guilty of fairy-tapping. I am somewhat light on my feet and do not pound my poles. Although I have a bit of tiredness at the end of the day, I've never really had sore shoulders. Should I be more aggressive with my poles? (Obviously you can't really know without seeing me in action, but I'm interested in any generalizations on the topic.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Well, I'm not "just swinging the poles with occasional contact." I have very definitely rhythm and contact, exactly coinciding with my pace. It feels effective without being tiring. Maybe I have it just right!

"not fairy tapping them!"

I'm curious about this. I've used poles, successfully I think, and I wouldn't do the camino without them. However, I'm wondering if I'm guilty of fairy-tapping. I am somewhat light on my feet and do not pound my poles. Although I have a bit of tiredness at the end of the day, I've never really had sore shoulders. Should I be more aggressive with my poles? (Obviously you can't really know without seeing me in action, but I'm interested in any generalizations on the topic.)
I think of fairy tapping as any action where there is little or no pressure placed on the pole when the tip contacts the ground. This may give the user some increased sense of stability, but without gaining the benefit of reducing the weight carried on the lower joints - hips, knees and ankles.

For sprung poles, it is normally easy to tell if there is regular pressure, as the pole section with the spring will show signs of wear where the two poles sections rub together. The other way I notice is when walking on softer surfaces. There will be a definite impression left if there is any reasonable pressure on the pole. If the tip is bare, there will be some penetration of the ground surface.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have very definitely rhythm and contact
I think the one pole plant per step works best, but another rhythm is more a three-legged waltz -- a pole plant for every 1 1/2 steps. If you watch the Pacer Poles video they show one step, one pole. If you watch cross country skiing, it is one pole, one step. If you watch the trash pick up crew, it is one stab per piece of paper...

I'm sorry, but as I've said before, any benefits that trekking poles give you are cancelled out by just how awesome a real wooden walking stick is. I received many compliments from both locals and other pilgrims on my stick. "Now THAT'S a pilgrim staff!" a friendly man in Burgos told me. He was so impressed I think he wanted me to marry his niece. No, I'm not kidding.

So let's recap...

Trekking poles
Pros:
They help you walk or something, supposedly.
Cons:
They make you look like a dork
They are cold and soulless. (The Beatles never wrote a song called "Norwegian Lightweight Aluminum")
There are no statues of St. James using trekking poles, so you're probably excommunicated if you use them.

Wooden staff
Pros:
Makes you instantly identifiable as a pilgrim
They can be personalized and customized. (Good luck carving your name or a bible verse into aluminum. Hope your packed a Dremel!)
Good for fending off stray dogs and the hordes of potential mates your walking stick will attract.
Makes a perfect monopod for your camera.
Good for the environment. They literally grow on trees! Unlike aluminum which must be ripped from Mother Earth, smelted and processed, probably in some God-forsaken, carbon-spewing factory by a five year old that works for 2 cents a day with no bathroom break.
Cons:
None

So let's recap. Trekking poles, awful tools of Satan that promote child labor. Wooden staff, makes you the coolest pilgrim ever, doesn't pollute, and is personally endorsed by Moses, Aaron, St. James, and millions of pilgrims.

The choice is clear! ;)
To my neighbor to the east all I can say is I am glad you feel good packing your stick. But I much prefer my lightweight walking sticks especially in the mud. much more stable in the gumbo like what is everywere in N Dakota. Since one is in each hand the less you may get worn out on one side. But if looking purty & dressing for the part is the important thing to you then by golly somebody has to look good, even though the smell at times could run folks off. For myself they simply made the stroll much less painful. My only recommendation put your pole or poles away when going thru big cities in crowded areas. Little kids get poked when the user doesn't realize they get poked if they are behind you. I saw some angry parents following walkers because of it.

To my neighbor to the east all I can say is I am glad you feel good packing your stick. But I much prefer my lightweight walking sticks especially in the mud. much more stable in the gumbo like what is everywere in N Dakota. Since one is in each hand the less you may get worn out on one side. But if looking purty & dressing for the part is the important thing to you then by golly somebody has to look good, even though the smell at times could run folks off. For myself they simply made the stroll much less painful. My only recommendation put your pole or poles away when going thru big cities in crowded areas. Little kids get poked when the user doesn't realize they get poked if they are behind you. I saw some angry parents following walkers because of it.

I swapped sticks with a person for a few miles on the Camino. They had trekking poles. As much as I fiddled with them, trying to get the right height, they just didn't work for me. In fact, I met quite a few people who carried 2 poles, but only walked with one.

I never got worn out on one side, since I switched hands every 10 minutes or so.

When walking in crowds in cities, I always kept my stick out in front of me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back