• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking Poles or Staff???

BevBeevers

Bevbee
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept. 2014
Starting my first Camino in Sept. and was planning on purchasing a staff in SJPdP as a walking aid (one hand free) and "souvenir"... having read so many comments on the successful use of trekking poles, also having a slightly dodgy knee, I´m having second thoughts about the staff... would poles be better?? what kind of poles??
Thank you Pilgrims for the advice and sharing your experiences..
One grateful future Peregrina..Xxx

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm in the pacer/trekking pole group too. I never used them before my Camino. Now I wouldn't dream of hiking anywhere without them.

My walking companion bought a staff and eventually regretted it; she found it a nuisance having to hold it constantly. With the straps on the pacer poles, if you don't want to remove your poles entirely, you can let them dangle from your wrists while having both hands free.

I know you can of course order online, but going into a shop that can allow you a better feel for the grip and height..
Another thought is depending on where you start your Camino check at local alberguies, hotels and the like.
They cannot be taken on a plane but only with checked baggage. There were plenty free ones near Bilbao.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
September is coming fast! If this your first Camino you might want to go on the safe side and use walking poles. Although I did see them all along the Camino for sale so if you start out with a staff and reckon it is not working you can easily get the poles. I found walking down hill that they were most useful. I didn't start using them until later on in the Camino and my next one I using them the entire way.

Buen Camino!

.......... walking down hill that they were most useful. I didn't start using them until later on in the Camino and my next one I using them the entire way.
:D That's funny. I was walking into Castrojeriz with my poles dangling from the nifty little gizmo on my pack when a total stranger tapped me on the shoulder and told me that I should be using my poles. I replied, "I do, on the downhills." He said I should use them all the time, that they take 30% of the weight off one's knees.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It takes longer to learn how to use a walking staff properly than poles, I think, and it is also a bit more complicated finding the staff that's both the right height (should reach from the ground up to your armpit) and exactly the right weight for your walking style, as well as the right thickness for your hand.

I do think a good staff that is exactly suited to one's own personal particulars is better than the poles, as it is far more versatile than just a simple hiking aid ; also, after you've hiked long and far enough with the right staff, it becomes like an extension of your body.

I've had my own staff for fourteen years, this year is its third pilgrimage, and I've also had to start using it daily at home since my knee problems started, and for me personally, switching to poles is simply unthinkable; my staff is strong and light and a very good friend.

I'm sorry, but as I've said before, any benefits that trekking poles give you are cancelled out by just how awesome a real wooden walking stick is. I received many compliments from both locals and other pilgrims on my stick. "Now THAT'S a pilgrim staff!" a friendly man in Burgos told me. He was so impressed I think he wanted me to marry his niece. No, I'm not kidding.

So let's recap...

Trekking poles
Pros:
They help you walk or something, supposedly.
Cons:
They make you look like a dork
They are cold and soulless. (The Beatles never wrote a song called "Norwegian Lightweight Aluminum")
There are no statues of St. James using trekking poles, so you're probably excommunicated if you use them.

Wooden staff
Pros:
Makes you instantly identifiable as a pilgrim
They can be personalized and customized. (Good luck carving your name or a bible verse into aluminum. Hope your packed a Dremel!)
Good for fending off stray dogs and the hordes of potential mates your walking stick will attract.
Makes a perfect monopod for your camera.
Good for the environment. They literally grow on trees! Unlike aluminum which must be ripped from Mother Earth, smelted and processed, probably in some God-forsaken, carbon-spewing factory by a five year old that works for 2 cents a day with no bathroom break.
Cons:
None

So let's recap. Trekking poles, awful tools of Satan that promote child labor. Wooden staff, makes you the coolest pilgrim ever, doesn't pollute, and is personally endorsed by Moses, Aaron, St. James, and millions of pilgrims.

The choice is clear! ;)

An old fashioned mechanical typewriter can type letters beautifully, and it looks good too. Same with a treadle sewing machine. They have soul. Wonderfully neither use that substance of the devil - electricity.

I agree that to do a medieval pilgrimage you should carry a pilgrim staff. Probably also a felted woollen clock, oilskin trousers, wooden clogs, a sack made of hessian and a bow and arrow to catch your victuals. It would be very romantic.

I want something that saves my knees and my hips and is lightweight - so I use two trekking poles....

It took me a bit to learn how to walk with my stick.
but Jeff... does the pilgrim wonder stick collapse so it can be carried onto the airplane ? or is it just the satan poles that offer this modern convenience ?? :p

No, you should mail it home, because those jerks at American Airlines will lose it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm sorry, but as I've said before, any benefits that trekking poles give you are cancelled out by just how awesome a real wooden walking stick is. I received many compliments from both locals and other pilgrims on my stick. "Now THAT'S a pilgrim staff!" a friendly man in Burgos told me. He was so impressed I think he wanted me to marry his niece. No, I'm not kidding.

So let's recap...

Trekking poles
Pros:
They help you walk or something, supposedly.
Cons:
They make you look like a dork
They are cold and soulless. (The Beatles never wrote a song called "Norwegian Lightweight Aluminum")
There are no statues of St. James using trekking poles, so you're probably excommunicated if you use them.

Wooden staff
Pros:
Makes you instantly identifiable as a pilgrim
They can be personalized and customized. (Good luck carving your name or a bible verse into aluminum. Hope your packed a Dremel!)
Good for fending off stray dogs and the hordes of potential mates your walking stick will attract.
Makes a perfect monopod for your camera.
Good for the environment. They literally grow on trees! Unlike aluminum which must be ripped from Mother Earth, smelted and processed, probably in some God-forsaken, carbon-spewing factory by a five year old that works for 2 cents a day with no bathroom break.
Cons:
None

So let's recap. Trekking poles, awful tools of Satan that promote child labor. Wooden staff, makes you the coolest pilgrim ever, doesn't pollute, and is personally endorsed by Moses, Aaron, St. James, and millions of pilgrims.

The choice is clear! ;)
Ha ha excellent!!! This was my original idea, a sturdy wooden staff, a lifelong friend and walking companion etc..
Just read so much (probably too much) about the advantages of poles, which I have never tried, for avoiding knee problems..
Thank you xxx

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
An old fashioned mechanical typewriter can type letters beautifully, and it looks good too. Same with a treadle sewing machine. They have soul. Wonderfully neither use that substance of the devil - electricity.

I agree that to do a medieval pilgrimage you should carry a pilgrim staff. Probably also a felted woollen clock, oilskin trousers, wooden clogs, a sack made of hessian and a bow and arrow to catch your victuals. It would be very romantic.

I want something that saves my knees and my hips and is lightweight - so I use two trekking poles....
And thanks Kanga... I´ve followed a lot of your sound advice from your many Caminos experience. Already changed the boots (never very comfy after almost 3 months of wearing in) for Asics Trail Runners.. suppose St. James didn´t have access to these beauties... I´m still not too sure about the poles though, read using a sturdy staff slightly taller than oneself was ideal, especially for the descents.. Running out of time, will have to try some poles, I have no flights to worry about packing so a staff wouldn´t be a problem, then again neither would poles... arghhh.. head does spin sometimes...
Hugs xxx

I *liked* Falcon's post, but please allow me to repeat it here.

Pacerpoles. They can even be used as a monopod;-)

On our latest walk we had two sets of pacerpoles and four cheap and nasty straight poles. We sent some of the cheap ones home with daddy when he left before us coz everyone just wanted to use the pacers. Then someone gave us an expensive straight pole and that was the cat's whiskers - until everyone had had a play for a day and then they went back to wanting the pacers. Then daughter picked up a discarded wooden staff somewhere. That lasted a few days but she didn't exactly cry when she left it behind. Occasionally one of the kids would pick up a stick from the forest and take that for a few days - but at the end of the day, if they were going to use poles, they wanted the pacerpoles. I used mine every day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I don't know anyone who doesn't like Pacer Poles. I can't justify the expenditure at the moment.

I used a pair of Black Diamond trekking poles. They were relatively pricy (roughly $120 a pair), but they were collapsible, very lightweight and strong. The collapsible plus lightweight meant I could attach them to the sides of my backpack and forget they were there. (I know some people advocate using them all the time, but I like having my hands free when I don't need the poles). The strong part allows you to have confidence in putting your weight on them on some tricky descents (probably more applicable to some hikes I have done than the camino, but there were a few spots...)

I have an ash staff cut from a hedge here at home. Idealistically I would walk the camino with it and myself dressed in a tweed Norfolk jacket, matching tweed plus fours with argyle socks and stout hob-nailed brogue shoes. In the evenings I would wear a dinner jacket or possibly a velvet smoking jacket with embroidered slippers on my feet. Accompanying me would, of course, be Jean Passepartout carrying my leather portmanteau.

I feel it incumbent on me at this time to discard the bystander nom-de-nym and reveal my true identity which is Phileas Fogg.

All future communications should be sent to my London address - The Reform Club, Pall Mall, St James, London.

Toodle-pip and bon voyage.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am an advocate of using trekking poles. If you are not already using poles, the single advantage of Pacer poles is that that are almost impossible to use incorrectly, but you pay a significant premium for that single benefit. Otherwise, you pay for what you get. I have used Komperdell, Black Diamond and Leki poles and found them good value - I cannot say the same for Fizan, Macpac and some of the other cheaper brands. I would completely avoid any of the no-name varieties. One set I bought in Villafranca at a $2 shop lasted all of two days before the springs collapsed. I know that is not a great sample, but then, other cheaper branded poles at least lasted for a couple of weeks of good solid use.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Starting my first Camino in Sept. and was planning on purchasing a staff in SJPdP as a walking aid (one hand free) and "souvenir"... having read so many comments on the successful use of trekking poles, also having a slightly dodgy knee, I´m having second thoughts about the staff... would poles be better?? what kind of poles??

Hello BeeBeevers,
I found two walking poles to be a great help during my Camino. If asked to choose between a staff and poles I would choose the later.
Buen Camino

I also had lightweight Leki poles which folded into 3 sections. Used them every step of the way. Even on the straight sections they add an element of propulsion when you walk. They fit right inside a backpack when folded.
I haven't tried a staff, but don't like the idea that I have to grip something all day long. Most walking poles have comfortable wrist straps which will allow them to dangle fairly loose in your hands without gripping tight, until you really need them for the ups and down bits.

I'm actually packing a cape this time, LOL, in addition to the "purist" staff ; though I doubt I'll make any much use of it except as a pillow/slash/extra blanket before the autumn ..
I too have thought of taking my cloak along with wearing my underpants on top of my red and blue onesee with my initial on the chest. My thinking is that if I do the Camino will simply fly by.

€149,-
I too have thought of taking my cloak along with wearing my underpants on top of my red and blue onesee with my initial on the chest. My thinking is that if I do the Camino will simply fly by.

Bravo !!!

ANY way to demonstrate that WE are better pilgrims than THEM needs to be grabbed with both hands !!! (but that's a bit tricky when you're carrying a staff hmmmmmmmm ... )

Used staff and left it as an offering it to Sun God at Finisterre--did not see any trekking poles being offered.

I would guess that during our hike we saw about 25% using wooden staffs; 25% carrying Aluminum trekking poles with majority being attached to packs; about 50% walking without poles/staffs. We had a theory, which is probably true, that those with trekking poles lashed to each side of pack were only using their poles to act as radio antennas to keep in touch with their Mother Ship. While some do appear to be generally humanoid, Jeffnd can attest that those carrying aluminum poles do appear to be a different breed than those carrying wood.

Walked with guy from Austria who had cut his staff in two and used screws to put it back together so that he could take it back home in pieces and then hang it on the wall.

Jabbapapa--we stopped in a store in Sarria that sells the entire Pilgrim "uniform"! It is on the Camino but I did not see anyone wearing one of their uniforms. They have them in different sizes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You will see what I like below (all made by me):

CaminodeSantiagoStaff.jpg

BuffaloonHazel_zps720803e5.jpg

ElmonFieldMaple_zps21439693.jpg

SpaltedBurrSycamoreonRoseHikingSticks_zps86aa2cd3.jpg

FaceonHazel_zpsf9793d00.jpg

Jabbapapa--we stopped in a store in Sarria that sells the entire Pilgrim "uniform"! It is on the Camino but I did not see anyone wearing one of their uniforms. They have them in different sizes.

Yeah well hmmmm the absolute "purist" "true pilgrim" garb is hand made to your own measurements for €600 or so ...

TBH mine is basically just a rain cloak made of wool rather than plastic hehehe

BTW the"pilgrim ponchos" sold here in Lourdes are laughably useless for ANY meaningful purpose at all

William--best looking staffs we saw were in Madrid and most had deer antlers for handles. Maybe I'll stop throwing antlers away and keep a set to make a staff handle. The ones in Madrid were made so the antler handle could be un-screwed from staff.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got my own staff from a simple peasant woodcutter in Italy. It's a piece of wood. But it's the exact right length, thickness, and weight for my walking. Sorry William, but just can't see the point of any kind of "special" pilgrim staff ...

Here are two I bought from a now deceased craftsman

HazelwithCowHornbyBobGoddard_zpsef07da0d.jpg

RamsHornonRosebyBobGoddard_zps723d1e12.jpg

I used the horn thumb stick on a local pilgrimage, the only other person with a staff was the Archbishop of Canterbury. His was a lot more blingy.

A simple deer antler thumb stick is very useful. The horn one in the first post was from buffalo horn, the beautiful curved tip is calves horn and the thumb stick is ram's horn.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had my "no corporative logos on me" period. So, in my first Camino I looked as my personal icon (well, sort of... :) ). As a hospitalero told me "wow, you look as pilgrims of yore" (but I am not sure if this was an admiring or teasing comment). Since then, as I grew younger (uh, I meant...older) I reluctanlty accepted that technology has its advantages, and for serious walking I use modern poles; they are good.
I still take my old wood staff to my Sunday walks in the woods, as a matter of nostalgy. It seems more like a part of myself, not just as another impersonal, disposable gadget.

Last edited:
Used a single stick for years after reading Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker in the early 1970s. He extolled the virtue of a stick which could turn an unstable biped into a much more stable triped.

My sister gave me a pair of Leki poles about five years ago and, after trying them once, I haven't touched my old stick. One stick - good. Two sticks - much better.

Haven't tried Pacer's - I'd love to, but I gather you can only mail order them and, although I believe they have a money back guaranty, the hassle of returning them has, so far, deterred me.

Karl

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Pilgrims for the input...Pacerpoles it is.. now whether to order the 2 section or 3 section... alloy or carbon???
Think it´s going to be the 3 section in case they need to be packed at some point... and the carbon is lighter...
Anyone have any preferences between alloy and carbon and why?? all input is gratefully received and well considered..
Must order a.s.a.p...
Muchas gracias de nuevo!!!..

Carbon does not save much weight. A metal pole will bend if stressed; a carbon pole will shatter. You can unbend the metal, and still have a usable pole. Damage is an unlikely event, but it can happen. Three section poles will fit inside most packs. I always check my pack, so I am most interested in a clean exterior that does not invite damage from baggage handling equipment. I have a nylon bag to cover my pack and its straps, and having the poles on the inside prevents any corners or snag points.

Carbon does not save much weight. A metal pole will bend if stressed; a carbon pole will shatter. You can unbend the metal, and still have a usable pole. Damage is an unlikely event, but it can happen. Three section poles will fit inside most packs. I always check my pack, so I am most interested in a clean exterior that does not invite damage from baggage handling equipment. I have a nylon bag to cover my pack and its straps, and having the poles on the inside prevents any corners or snag points.
Is that a 3 section alloy then???

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, besides the staffs sold in "pilgrim shops" (or given generously by don Pablito, from Azqueta), there is the option of acquiring a personalized one made by a "maître ébéniste" (I don't know how to translate that...) who offer staffs in SJPP. They are really unique and magnificent, but the idea of carrying such an artwork would give me pause...Anyway, they are nice to see, and I enjoyed the explanations about the symbolism of different woods. Sorry, only in French.
http://www.bourdon-pelerin.com/

I recommend a pair of poles, especially with bad knees. They will help you enormously on the hilly sections - especially down steep and rocky sections. I also recommend you consider buying them in SJPdP if you don't already have them. It's possible you'll get collapsible pole's through the airport security checks, but it's about a 50-50 chance. Mine were checked and lost by the airline so I bought a decent pair after arrival. You'll find them at the hiking store just down the street from the pilgrim office. They offered at least three different types which were about as inexpensive as Amazon. For me, cork handles are the most important feature because I don't like gloves. Why I left the way at Burgos, I donated them at an albergue. I will go back next year to continue from Burgos and try to ship the Carbon fiber pair I love again. Hopefully they'll make it this time.

I completed my Camino in mid July - all 780km of it. I started with two poles. I couldn't have managed the Pyrenees without them - particularly the downhill in the pouring rain and mid slime.....but after Pamplona I left carried them in my pack for a few days - just in case a - then discarded them. I have no knee problems and the 'taking 30%' of the load wasn't appealing to me as I wanted my body to do the work! But that's what I liked (pretty happy with my thigh definition post camino). But as I said I have no physical considerations and I guess this makes a difference ☀️

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've always been convinced that there is a difference in what pacer poles (for Nordic walking) provided, and trekking poles, but could not find any explanation for it. I've just found this and can now finally understand the difference. It's all there in the first sentence. http://www.nordicwalkingeastkent.co.../how-to-choose-the-right-nordic-walking-pole/
Thank you for sharing this, but be warned that there are inaccuracies and over simplifications in the first paragraphs and throughout the article.

The worst example is this statement
while trekking poles have flat rubber pads and ergonomically shaped handles with a loose, band-like strap which exists simply to prevent you dropping the pole.
neither part of which is correct. Experienced trekking pole users will know that the strap is an integral part of the design to generate the push on the pole, and NOT simply there to stop it falling. My observation is that many novice pole users don't use the strap effectively, but that is another matter. By design, it is used for exactly the same purpose as the glove on a Nordic walking pole - to generate the push on the pole. And of course it is possible to fit a rubber tip of any shape to a trekking pole just as one can do that to a Nordic walking pole - that is not a real point of discrimination between the two pole types.

I also reject the notion implied in the first sentence that trekking poles are not part of a useful exercise regime. That is just nonsense. If you are prepared to learn to use trekking poles properly, you will get significant upper body exercise with your walks, and for some of us that does great things for those tuck-shop arms.

I have no knee problems and the 'taking 30%' of the load wasn't appealing to me as I wanted my body to do the work! But that's what I liked (pretty happy with my thigh definition post camino). But as I said I have no physical considerations and I guess this makes a difference ☀️
@pjlopey, I'm glad your thigh definition improved - if you had used poles consistently, you could also have improved your upper body toning at the same time. Your body does the work one way or the other - poles move where some of the work is done from your lower limbs to your arms.

The 30% load reduction figure gets raised from time to time. I am not quite sure where it comes from, but my experience is that practical everyday use will not achieve anything like that level of support.

Last edited:
My husband has done both one pole and two and says two are much better (he had an injured shoulder on our first camino and could only use one). I can't imagine walking without trekking poles, on your first uphill you will thank them!
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

Thank you for sharing this, but be warned that there are inaccuracies and over simplifications in the first paragraphs and throughout the article.

The worst example is this statement neither part of which is correct. Experienced trekking pole users will know that the strap is an integral part of the design to generate the push on the pole, and NOT simply there to stop it falling. My observation is that many novice pole users don't use the strap effectively, but that is another matter. By design, it is used for exactly the same purpose as the glove on a Nordic walking pole - to generate the push on the pole. And of course it is possible to fit a rubber tip of any shape to a trekking pole just as one can do that to a Nordic walking pole - that is not a real point of discrimination between the two pole types.

I also reject the notion implied in the first sentence that trekking poles are not part of a useful exercise regime. That is just nonsense. If you are prepared to learn to use trekking poles properly, you will get significant upper body exercise with your walks, and for some of us that does great things for those tuck-shop arms.

Thank you, Doug, for your comments on this article. I must confess that I read only the first sentence, and can't endorse anything in the rest of the article. I was merely delighted finally to get some confirmation of something I had long suspected, which is that poles used for Nordic walking perform a somewhat different function than do trekking poles. If I had noticed the implication in that sentence that trekking poles are not part of a useful exercise regime, I overlooked it. You are correct that trekking poles, properly used, provide great upper body exercise. I know that from my own experience. The same goes for the effectiveness of the strap.:)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with Doug especialy about the straps, properly lengthened straps are very important for using the poles going downhill. Trekking poles were also recommended as part of an effective exercise regime while doing cardiac rehab.

I was told by some hikers that they lose feeling in their fingers if they do NOT use poles????? Guess they must elevate their hands for blood circulation?????

I was told by some hikers that they lose feeling in their fingers if they do NOT use poles????? Guess they must elevate their hands for blood circulation?????

When I or my husband walk for a long time (3 or more hours) not using trekking sticks, we get swollen hands. I don't know if it is the change in position or the muscles in the hand being used, but trekking sticks definitely prevents and cures that problem.

My hands swell when I walk a long time without poles too - it is a circulation thing - centrifugal force caused by the motion of your arms as you walk combined with the arms being down for a long period of time doesn't allow for good blood flow out of the hands and back up the arms. Singing and dancing to YMCA while you walk helps, but it can be rather annoying to others.

We had 2 poles each, but often used only 1 each when walking. My husband brought a long, soft, zippered tube that we have for carrying a 6-pack of soda to the beach, which happens to be the perfect size for storing 2 sets of poles. We stored our poles in this when en route to and from the Camino and also when we weren't using all of our poles. It worked great. He strapped the tube to the side of his pack and it kept the poles nice and contained.

My husband brought a long, soft, zippered tube that we have for carrying a 6-pack of soda to the beach, which happens to be the perfect size for storing 2 sets of poles. We stored our poles in this when en route to and from the Camino and also when we weren't using all of our poles. .

Great idea!

Considering that weight is our biggest enemy when walking, do you suppose if a person reduced the weight of their pack and reduced the weight of their shoes, would this not reduce the strain and maybe make the use of poles on relatively level surfaces unnecessary? Especially since it requires more energy to use poles than not?

There probably much more qualified people to respond to your post but I can share what I found in the last few hundred kms of my Camino. It's the constant impact on your knees and ankles/feet that seemed to be the stress. The poles transferred part of the weight to my hands arms and ultimately back and shoulders. It didn't seem like much pressure was transferred as you walked but at the end of the day I felt like I wasnt as sore when I used poles. Not exactly scientific but it made a believer out of me. Also it was really awkward at first walking with poles - but after an hour I had a really smooth rhythm. Keep in mind I am fat, uncoordinated middle aged man :)

Considering that weight is our biggest enemy when walking, do you suppose if a person reduced the weight of their pack and reduced the weight of their shoes, would this not reduce the strain and maybe make the use of poles on relatively level surfaces unnecessary? Especially since it requires more energy to use poles than not?
I am not sure what your thinking is here. Poles are a walking aid - they are beneficial, but not necessary (or essential). If you don't want to use them, don't, but you then forego the benefits.

The couple of studies I have seen in peer-reviewed journals conclude that there is no increase in energy consumption using trekking poles at self selected walking speeds on level surfaces. One study showed no increase in energy consumption both up- and down-hill, and the other identified some increase in energy consumption going downhill. Note that Nordic walking is different, and it appears there can be large increases in energy consumption there, but you would be unlikely to be Nordic walking on your camino.

So it would appear to me that you are contemplating foregoing the benefits of pole use for a reason that doesn't really exist!

Watch the youtube vid of the guy "dancing" the Camino. He twirls a staff most of the time. Don't think you can dance with poles. Also, ever see the people that walk backwards up hills? They claim it's easier on legs. Met several of them and wondered where they ever heard of doing that. Odd how many people won't walk straight down hills either but go back and forth across the trail!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just thought of something--why is the Camino littered with those round tips from aluminum poles? The ones that look like they should be used in snow, not the small rubber tips.

Bev,
Each to his/her own. For me, I used a pair of hiking poles for the entire CF. They were critical for me, especially on the uphill and downhill portions. I could not have completed the camino without my hiking poles!! I have never used poles before the camino - and watching some YouTube instructions helped a lot. I tried using one staff during my 10+-month pre-camino training and found it to be not of much help to me. For the sake of transparency, I should tell you that I am a polio survivor, with an artificial knee.

Walking backward up hills uses a different set of leg muscles, so if your forward-walking muscles are fatigued, you can rest them by walking backward and using different muscles for a while. It also helps prevent ankle soreness for the same reason.

For downhill, making your own switchbacks by walking side to side on a steep trail is common tactic - you ultimately walk farther, but your steps aren't as steep so it isn't as jarring to the joints - not as hard on the toes either if your toes are hitting the front of your boots.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much everyone for the input...
My "PacerPoles" are in the post..
After studying the how to use videos I´m looking forward to putting them to practise..
Thanks again..
Buen Camino (with poles) a todos!!!!!

Watch the youtube vid of the guy "dancing" the Camino. He twirls a staff most of the time. Don't think you can dance with poles. Also, ever see the people that walk backwards up hills? They claim it's easier on legs. Met several of them and wondered where they ever heard of doing that. Odd how many people won't walk straight down hills either but go back and forth across the trail!

Around Portomarin I walked for a while with a lovely young blonde Lithuanian girl who zig-zagged going down hills. I was sure she was a X_C skier as this is how we traversed steep downhill sections to try (usually in vain) to avoid falling over too much (trying to telemark on unstable Australian snow while carrying a 40lb pack didn't help much either). However she said she had never skied in her life. The technique had been recommended to her as a way of avoiding undue stress on her toes.

De colores

Bogong

Thank you so much everyone for the input...
My "PacerPoles" are in the post..
After studying the how to use videos I´m looking forward to putting them to practise..
Thanks again..
Buen Camino (with poles) a todos!!!!!

Awesome! Let us know how they work- Buen Camino !

Used pacerpoles last year. My old knees & legs will not let me walk without my reliable poles.

Poles have helped me immensely. I am overweight, but did not have troubles with my knees going downhill.

Also, while it may not seem obvious, even on horizontal surface, poles help stabilizing your walk. I noticed, that after 25-30km, walking without poles my tired body would begin to sway left/right on the camino, but with poles I was able to continue walking another 10km, which would not be possible otherwise. One day, on meseta, I tried walking without poles, and felt exhausted already after 15km.

Really a matter of personal preference.. I used a staff, I thought poles silly and cumbersom. Both my wife and mother used two walking poles each and swore by them--although, in fairness, they were trading off carrying a 25 pound 15 month old, so they needed extra stability

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why "silly"? There is a lot of evidence that they provide benefit. Appearance over utility? Gratuitous insult to those who use them? ???
Considering that my wife and mother used them, it certainly wasnt gratuitious insult. More just flippant attempt at humor not working in writing. I like the look of a single staff, that is subjective. I, personally, felt more comfortable and stable with a single staff, that isn't as subjective but it is person dependent. The overall point of my OP I think was fairly clear that it really depends on the person---and you should do what you feel most comfortable with. The word choice was a mistake, but truly just an attempt at being flip.

We plan on doing the Norte in the next decade, I'm pretty confident I'll use a staff then too. We plan on doing the Frances starting in Paris sometime in our 50s or early 60s. We'll see what mother time convinces me to take then.

I'll also be interested in seeing what my wife chooses when she doesn't have a baby on back. I'm pretty sure my mother would have done poles regardless of baby. My wife, I think poles, but will be curious to see.

I too thought trekking poles were silly and make you look stupid. Then I tried them, added about 20-30 distance without any new problems and wouldn't go anywhere without them. We (wife and I) even use them on flat surfaces just to keep a little wear and tear of the 60+ year old knees. Do you need poles, absolutely not. Does it make it easier, yep. Do you look cooler with a staff, yep. Choice of what your objective and desires are.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't use either...
In Puenta de Reina I bought a staff with the intention of using it and it sitting near my fireplace when I got home.
I think it was about four hours later that I chose to abandon it at a church :) It got in my way at every turn.
I couldn't even take a picture without having to manage where I put it.
I like free hands :)

I appreciated my poles (Black Diamond Ultra Distance) the most when climbing down (and up) the steps to the Roman Bridge ruins west of Cirauqui on the CF. Without them I would have probably done a header and broken something. I carefully/strategically planted each one before making my next step or two!!!

I appreciated my poles (Black Diamond Ultra Distance) the most when climbing down (and up) the steps to the Roman Bridge ruins west of Cirauqui on the CF. Without them I would have probably done a header and broken something. I carefully/strategically planted each one before making my next step or two!!!

Ha - one thing we can count on...there will be spirited debate about any equipment question! We have done several variations: my husband used one Leki with a spring when he had one arm in a sling, next camino he used two, and votes for two is better than one. I changed mine two in preparation our third camino because I had had a broken arm and was worried that the wrist strap would bother it - I went for pacerpoles for that reason - they are great (and didn't put any stress on my broken arm site), but I don't think they were so much better than sprung standard poles. The most important thing of all is to use whatever you have for maximum effect - I saw lots of people just flapping them around, tapping at the ground, which wastes a lot of the benefit. There is a technique to giving yourself a boost. The pacerpole instructions give useful info on this.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino- Amazon)

I am from the no poles camp unless you have a medical reason for using them. I have trekked most of the major long distance trails in Australia carrying a 20+ kg pack, trekked in Nepal three times and have walked the Camino Frances this year. All without trekking poles or walking sticks.

The constant click, click, click of trekking poles striking the ground or footpath or the sound of poles being dragged along cement paths or roads along the Camino just about drove me around the bend. Trekking shops are making money out of this modern trend that all walkers should use poles. People have been walking for millions of years with out walking sticks, but in the past decade walkers have been convinced that they must part with their hard earned cash and purchase designer poles. Do you use walking sticks when you are walking around in your own country? If your answer is NO, then you don't need them on the Camino. It's a con.

I don't train with poles until the last few days. Training, I want to do the extra work and improve my balance. Wouldn't dream of doing the Camino or any serious up and down hill walking without them, though.

Karl

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
People have been walking for millions of years with out walking sticks, but in the past decade walkers have been convinced that they must part with their hard earned cash and purchase designer poles. Do you use walking sticks when you are walking around in your own country? If your answer is NO, then you don't need them on the Camino. It's a con.
@marbuck, your understanding of human evolution appears about as sound as your understanding of the benefits of pole use. Modern humans have not been around for millions of year - 50,000 to 100,000 years perhaps, and on the basis of your argument wouldn't travel anywhere by car, train or aeroplane - they are also modern inventions designed to assist people travel. If you travel by any of these, you should probably avoid mocking those that use poles!!

Technical poles are not just medical aids. Used properly they provide a number of benefits, including increased stability on slopes, reducing the pressure on one's lower joints, exercising the upper body, etc. And whether people use them walking around at home is hardly a good test. Not many people I know set out to walk 20-30 km every day for a month. If people want to get good technical aids, like walking poles, to do that, it seems quite sensible to me.

I agree that they are not essential, but equally they are not a con.

I haven't walked any long distance trails in Oz, but have bushwalked and XC skied extensively mostly through trackless country. In bushwaking, poles or sticks would have been an absolute menace due to getting tangled up in bushes, scrub, sphagnum etc so I've never used them here. XC skiing I've always used stocks and it would have been virtually impossible without them. A typical day in both would have been 20 to 30 miles, carrying a pack of up to 30kg and sometimes over (couldn't even think about it now). On the Camino I walked without poles, and not too many used them. Actually, only one all way, but quite a few others used the sticks and seemed to go along the level quicker and more effortlessly than me. I usually managed to leave them behind up the hills, but the real difference was downhill where they slayed me dead. Coming down off Alto de Perdon was terrible for me, and down from Cruz de Ferro was a nightmare. In the latter case others took the road and from what I saw of it from odd glimpses from the path not a single vehicle either way all day.

I really wish I had had the sticks for these two bits. They certainly would have helped me retain balance better particularly in the uneven surface, loose shale, mud, running water and snowdrifts I had to slog through down from the Cruz. I fell over so many times and got so tired I couldn't even let fly with a good relieving curse! Also perhaps some other bits such as the short downhill stretch after the rise out of Castrojeriz. Otherwise I probably would have left them strapped to my pack.

De Colores

Bogong

@marbuck most mornings see me walking the suburban streets of Sydney and on the Great North Walk - with poles. So yes, I do use them all the time. Skiing injuries to both knees, age related arthritis in the hips and monocular vision. I could not manage the ups and particularly the downs of the Upper North Shore without them.

I agree that poles can be tricky when bushwalking - just as ponchos are not suitable - our bush is too prickly and poles get caught. But in open spaces or on wide paths or on streets - perfect.

I meet regularly with a group of friends my age. Out of nine of us, I and one other are the only ones who still walk for pleasure and or exercise. All the others have knee or hip or back problems which have stopped them. None use poles. I've tried to persuade a couple to try because I believe poles could give them back their mobility. Sometimes I feel a dork - and I am so sick of being told "no snow round here". But who cares, if they keep me striding along? And I really do power along.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@marbuck most mornings see me walking the suburban streets of Sydney and on the Great North Walk - with poles. So yes, I do use them all the time. Skiing injuries to both knees, age related arthritis in the hips and monocular vision. I could not manage the ups and particularly the downs of the Upper North Shore without them.

I agree that poles can be tricky when bushwalking - just as ponchos are not suitable - our bush is too prickly and poles get caught. But in open spaces or on wide paths or on streets - perfect.

I meet regularly with a group of friends my age. Out of nine of us, I and one other are the only ones who still walk for pleasure and or exercise. All the others have knee or hip or back problems which have stopped them. None use poles. I've tried to persuade a couple to try because I believe poles could give them back their mobility. Sometimes I feel a dork - and I am so sick of being told "no snow round here". But who cares, if they keep me striding along? And I really do power along.
@Kanga, great points. Here in Canberra there is still the occasional attempt at a humourous comment, but I find most people in my neighbourhood no longer give it a second thought. There are still only a handful of regular pole users around - many more people carry them than really use them. There are some nordic walking enthusiasts appearing, but I hear about them rather than see them when I am out walking.

When I or my husband walk for a long time (3 or more hours) not using trekking sticks, we get swollen hands. I don't know if it is the change in position or the muscles in the hand being used, but trekking sticks definitely prevents and cures that problem.
I used to walk in Chad, Central Africa, with a Mauritanian friend. As a child, he & his entire family would walk for days across their country with their herd of camel so the children could then attend school - returning back when school finished for the year. He explained to me about the need to keep the circulation going.
He didn't dance or sing 'YMCA' but certainly taught me to often change the position of my hands/ arms as well as breaking up my pace every now and then with maybe a little light jogging for a short period or some side stepping.
Since those days, I now use two poles; and I'm tempted to upgrade them to Pacer poles.
Suzanne

many more people carry them than really use them

How come these people even own them if they are not using them, perhaps they were talked into buying them.

I do retract my million years statement, In retrospect I should have said thousands. Thanks for picking me up on that Doug.

My wife has had major surgery on both her knees, she has half knees and uses one Leki walking stick for downhills. Drove her mad having to carry the stick on her pack for the rest of the Camino.(more weight)

I belong to a bushwalking club and the members who do have joint problem also use walking poles/sticks. I am not against walking poles, I am against healthy fit people being told that they need walking poles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am not against walking poles, I am against healthy fit people being told that they need walking poles.

Is the world going to end if a person uses or carries poles for any reason whether they need them or not??? Doubt it.

Is the world going to end if a person uses or carries poles for any reason whether they need them or not??? Doubt it.
Of course not. But I agree with @marbuck that it is a great pity that the stores that sell them (at least here in Australia) often do not have people with the skills to at least give elementary instruction on how to use them properly.

I walked SJPP to Santiago with two old twist lock hiking poles (purchased many years ago). I felt I needed them most of the way and got into an easy rhythm. I had surgery to my tibia in the recent past, needed the extra support (physical and mental) as I was fairly unfit at the start. I purchased spare rubber tips and ensured they were replaced as soon as a dreaded click clack started. By covering the metal tip with gaffer before putting on the new tip extended their life and I only needed two sets. My partner carried one hiking pole the whole way and only used it once... he regretted taking it but that did not stop him from purchasing a new set in Sarria to bring home (they were under half the Aussie price). He had hiked with poles on the Appalachian Trail and when hiking the Bibbulmun and Cape to Cape in Western Australia but they are usually used as a prickle bush mover or a snake defender. Only two snakes seen on the Camino - just before Roncesvalles - and they were happy to get out of our way

€149,-
Without the walking poles, I would not have made it to Santiago. By the time I made it up to La Faba, quite frankly I could hardly stand up without them let alone walk so I need them. Just a few hours before writing this another pilgrim told me about how she tried walking with a bordon and after two weeks she was in a lot of back pain. She went to a physio in Pallas de Rei who advised her to get rid of it. The advice was two walking poles or none

Actually, I quite like the idea of the Camino plus staff, but I'd want more than one. A porter, a laundress, a history teacher, a chef.....
I am VERY late to this conversation, but I've benefited immensely from everyone's knowledge and I just want to say that Kanga made me truly laugh out loud with this reply!

I still recall that most people I saw with hiking sticks did not use them , but always had them sticking up on the sides of their packs. When asked if the poles on the packs were really antennas so they could communicate with their Mothership, they never denied it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I still recall that most people I saw with hiking sticks did not use them , but always had them sticking up on the sides of their packs. When asked if the poles on the packs were really antennas so they could communicate with their Mothership, they never denied it.

I never walked a step, whether up, down, or flat, without using trekking poles, and I'm pleased to be out on the tail of the bell shaped curve on that issue. I too saw many with poles tucked in their packs. I also saw many using poles, but doing so ineffectively. I saw people with wooden staffs. I saw people barefoot. One of the wonderful things about the Camino for me was there were so many people with so many different ways of doing it and reasons for doing it, and we were all doing it together -- just a great mix of diversity and common purpose. If everybody did only what I thought best, that would be a dull, dull world!

I don't place much stock in the opinions of neophytes, which is why I've been reticent to post during my preparation. However, I can say one thing with certainty: if you get a pair of trekking poles, practice with them before you depart. I'd been reading this thread and was convinced to give trekking poles a try; picked up an inexpensive pair yesterday, adjusted them, watched a few youtube videos on proper use. Set out on one of my self-flagellating "preparatory" hikes (30 km with 15kg pack, current temps 5c, average pace 5.5km/hr) with the poles... feeling the burn in my upper arms/shoulders within the first 20 minutes.

The poles were excellent - my knees feel as though they could take another 30km without discomfort. My shoulders, however, feel as though they'd like to reach up and punch me in the face if they had enough strength remaining. It is certainly a new type of movement, and changes your posture substantially. I'm sure as I become accustomed to them (and readjust my pack straps) I'll learn to love them, but as a newcomer to their use (and a simpleton with the ability to learn from his mistakes) I'd strongly recommend that you don't just start using them on a 30km hike with full gear when you're only facing more of the same the next day.

Good God!! That's some practice walk!! I'm exhausted just reading about it. No doubt you will quickly learn what works for you, as you are willing to experiment and appear to be good at self evaluation.

€46,-
Yes, it's not just the shoulders but also the hands. I've suddenly taken the poles out of the cupboard and gone for a four hour walk and finished up with a blister on my hand.

I find it helps to do a few training walks wearing exactly the gear I plan to use on Camino. I build up a bit of tough skin on my feet, sort out what rubs, what is uncomfortable, what needs adjusting, what gear does not work, before I go. Nothing is ever perfect but it lessens the odds of problems.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back