• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trekking poles

KingDada1

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2023
Hello. Do you suggest I bring my trekking poles in check-in from the U.S.A. or buy them once I get to the Camino? Thanks for considering. Are the poles available at or near the Camino adjustable? --What is the price range?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello. Do you suggest I bring my trekking poles in check-in from the U.S.A. or buy them once I get to the Camino? Thanks for considering. Are the poles available at or near the Camino adjustable? --What is the price range?

If there is a significant price difference between fares including checked luggage and travelling with cabin-baggage only then it might be worth buying your poles in France or Spain. Big stores like Decathlon in Bayonne sell basic adjustable poles starting at €6 or so each. I find them good enough. Of course you can pay far more if you wish.

We bring our own collapsible z-poles along with our pocket knife and check it in a small collapsible bag that weighs 4 ounces. Many people get them in country though and donate them after.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have done both things. For our first Camino we flew a direct flight from London to Biaritz. We checked our packs with the collapsed polies inside the packs. We used one of those plastic wrapping thingys that they often have in European airports (I have never seen them in US airports) and wrapped our packs to protect them.

For our Camino Primitivo we flew from the US and had to make a connection in Boston so we didn't want to risk checking our packs. We decided not to take our poles and instead bought poles in Oviedo. I bought a pair of Black Diamonds and Tom bought Lekis. They were about half the price of comparable poles in the US.

We have made two other camino trips that were combined with additional travel. For those trips we took a larger suitcase and checked it. We were able to get the poles in but just barely. The had to go kitty-corner from the lower side of one end of the case to the opposite upper corner on the other end of the case. Even then it was quite tight and I was worried they might poke through the zipper. Plus it was a big pain to pack the suitcase around the poles. @Jwillhaus is right about Z-Poles -- I just bought a pair. They are small and light and will fit in a suitcase easily.

I have heard lots of stories about people getting through security with poles. But we have not wanted to chance it. Security will confiscate the poles if they see them and we haven't been willing to lose our poles.

LizB

Dear God, not again.

Check them in or buy new in Europe, or pack them in carry-on and be prepared to possibly lose them.

We have adjustable poles in Europe and a serviceable pair will be no more expensive than in the US, and often cheaper.

Everything good that you have in the US exists in Spain, but it’s usually in Spanish.

Buen camino.

Hi KingDada1!
Whether you bring them is your choice!
I will never take mine on Camino it's less hassle and will buy mine this May in SJPP.
But as I take my my backpack as carry on ; poles are not allowed in the cabin flying from the UK!
I want easy on easy off flights without having to wait for checked poles to arrive on the conveyer packed separately!
I brought a pair in Porto for 12 Euros they were very sturdy and well made.
The extra cost of buying poles is quite often sited as a reason for bringing poles: but 12 Euros as a percentage of your Camino is very small indeed.
I weigh 110 kilos and they didn't let me down.
Donated them in Santiago.
I will probably get flack for this comment. i know there are so many brands and variants of pole;but a stick ,is a stick, is a stick :)!
Dear God, not again.
Ha!ha! Yep and your pain will continue until you can bare no more;as newbies need answers!🤣
Woody
Edit: including me!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For each of our Camino treks, I bought a pole in Spain and left it at our final destination (if I managed not to lose it before then). In one instance, I was able to find a used pole in a shop in Castrojeriz. (I had foolishly assumed I wouldn't need one walking the Meseta.) As some people have said, you can send a lot or almost nothing on poles. I usually opt for one that is as cheap as possible while still being adjustable and comfortable. I really don't understand the TSA restriction on trekking poles. I can carry on knitting needles without any problem, even though they are sharply pointed sticks that would make dandy weapons. And I can bring a cane if I need it for mobility. How does that differ substantially from a trekking pole? Seems random.

like others said it’s a risk to carry them on. The cheapest pair will run you about 22 euro in SJPDP. I didn’t see any 5 euro ones at the two decathlons I went to. I did see the MT100 for 12 euro each at the decathlons, they’re much better than the base level ones you can get at SJPDP (foam handle vs hard plastic and softer wrist straps) so I would recommend those. Otherwise you can get 18 euro (each) ones that are equivalent (from the Pelegrín store) which I would recommend if you can’t make it to the decathlon. The Pelegrín store next to the pilgrim office, Maya sport had some slightly heavier ones (+10 grams each) for about the same price.

Dear God, not again.

Check them in or buy new in Europe, or pack them in carry-on and be prepared to possibly lose them.

We have adjustable poles in Europe and a serviceable pair will be no more expensive than in the US, and often cheaper.

Everything good that you have in the US exists in Spain, but it’s usually in Spanish.

Buen camino.
Ok, Henry, a new twist…what about those small plastic cat hole spades? Does TSA get heart burn over those in carry-on baggage? Asking for a friend.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok, Henry, a new twist…what about those small plastic cat hole spades? Does TSA get heart burn over those in carry-on baggage? Asking for a friend.
Plastic ones? I can’t speak for the TSA; but in the UK they may be classed as tools; which are prohibited - but I’d pack one if I thought one necessary.

I may be over cautious; but many years ago (pre 9/11) I had a favourite tiny Gerber knife which I’d had for donkeys years confiscated from my key-ring at security in Heathrow. I took my seat at the back of the plane and over my head was a full-size fire-axe in a ‘break class in case of emergency’ cabinet.

I’ve since stopped trying to apply logic to the rules, I just follow them.

The tag "poles" has been added at the top of this thread, under the title. If you click on that tag, you will be taken to a fulsome list of threads, including discussion of types, prices, availability, and transportability. For a summary of whether they can be carried on in your cabin bag, see this thread.

Hi KingDada1!
I will never take mine on Camino it's less hassle and will buy mine this May in SJPP.
But as I take my my backpack as carry on ; poles are not allowed in the cabin flying from the UK!
I want easy on easy off flights without having to wait for checked poles to arrive on the conveyer packed separately!
The extra cost of buying poles is quite often sited as a reason for bringing poles: but 12 Euros as a percentage of your Camino is very small indeed.
I will probably get flack for this comment. i know there are so many brands and variants of pole;but a stick ,is a stick, is a stick :)!

Ha!ha! Yep and your pain will continue until you can bare no more;as newbies need answers!🤣
Woody
As a pole … stick is a stick… I was thinking might bring an actual foldable walking stick. You can take those on planes no problem.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For most of my Camino’s I had a ”pack bag“ that would hold my pack and poles, then I checked the pack bag. I also brought a small carry on with a few things to wear or have upon completion of my Camino. Upon arrival in St. Jean I placed the extra items in the pack bag and sent this to Santiago. The shipping service is easy to find in St. Jean. This way upon arrival in Santiago I had my pack bag to use again and some fresh clothes and toiletries.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
foldable walking stick
Might be ok in the UK, but the US TSA rules on their website say no walking sticks in the cabin.
Many very reliable forum members report that they have openly carried, with permission, and without claiming disability, foldable walking sticks onto planes in the USA and Canada. However, there are no guarantees and we don't need to argue the point. Please see this thread and make your plans accordingly.

You can get a folding walking cane with the rubber end as a walking aid. So that’s what I was thinking
Yes, my husband has one he used from an injury several years ago but he thinks it would nearly useless on the Camino when compared to a good set of hiking poles.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can get a folding walking cane with the rubber end as a walking aid.
it would nearly useless on the Camino when compared to a good set of hiking poles.
I don't know what a "folding walking cane" really means. I have a very good set of lightweight foldable hiking sticks that I have used for 11 years now. Admittedly, I am not a large/heavy person and I do not need to lean heavily on them due to an injury. I find these sticks to be excellent, very helpful, and totally adequate for my distance walking.

I recently had to buy poles as I had carry on only and had to leave my great
had to buy poles in Leon and wanted foldable - my Leiki sticks were home due to baggage check. Similar (folding) cost $130 euro (only pair store in Leon had) -

I don't know what a "folding walking cane" really means. I have a very good set of lightweight foldable hiking sticks that I have used for 11 years now. Admittedly, I am not a large/heavy person and I do not need to lean heavily on them due to an injury. I find these sticks to be excellent, very helpful, and totally adequate for my distance walking.
20230416_125122.jpg

Here is the foldable walking stick/cane. He can take these in the cabin of the plane. Also here are our zpoles which fit in a backpack, but are not allowed in the cabin despite having rubber tips. Go figure.

20230416_125243.jpg20230416_125442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We bring our own collapsible z-poles along with our pocket knife and check it in a small collapsible bag that weighs 4 ounces. Many people get them in country though and donate them after.
Thanks. Regarding your pocket knife: I have a foldable knife with a 3 1/2" blade. I also have a Spyderco Penknife Non-Locking (Slip Joint) Knife with a 2.95" blade. The Spyderco is legal to carry in the UK, so I imagine it would be fine on the Camino. But would my other knife (with the 3 1/2" blade) be allowed on the Camino or in Spain/France in general? Of course, I would wrap it up in bubble plastic and put it on my checked luggage. Any restrictions on the 3 1/2"as far as you know? Thanks for considering.

Thanks. Regarding your pocket knife: I have a foldable knife with a 3 1/2" blade. I also have a Spyderco Penknife Non-Locking (Slip Joint) Knife with a 2.95" blade. The Spyderco is legal to carry in the UK, so I imagine it would be fine on the Camino. But would my other knife (with the 3 1/2" blade) be allowed on the Camino or in Spain/France in general? Of course, I would wrap it up in bubble plastic and put it on my checked luggage. Any restrictions on the 3 1/2"as far as you know? Thanks for considering.
What I have read is under 4 inches is ok. We have Swiss Army knife with corkscrew. Not sure how long the blade is, but we use it for bread, cheese, sandwiches, etc. We bought an Opinal with corkscrew on our first trip and left in an albergue kitchen in Muxia (2016). As long as we're checking a bag with poles, we just also check the pocketknife.

Up to you I brought my from Australia. They are cheaper in Europe. Buy them from a little shop next to the passport office in St Jean pied de Port

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe this is off topic, but is the blade restriction due to recent knife violence? We don't have those restrictions where I live.

I can't help thinking - what happens to all these poles left behind in Spain? - my mind boogles at the thought of thousands of poles discarded in Santiago de Compostella each year! Is there really such a huge market for second hand poles? Maybe someone in Santiago can let us know if they all find homes or end up in landfill. We live in such a disposable society where it is easy to buy and discard. I have paid to check mine in.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not a bad idea tho, pilgrim donate to pick them up, add to local funds
Nice idea, but the cost and time to organize and transport them is not appealing, especially when the new owners would be expecting a bargain on the used poles. It wouldn't add much to local funds, and the equipment suppliers in those towns might not be thrilled!

People could take their poles home and donate there, if they don't want them anymore. Of course, it might be slightly less convenient.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If there is a significant price difference between fares including checked luggage and travelling with cabin-baggage only then it might be worth buying your poles in France or Spain. Big stores like Decathlon in Bayonne sell basic adjustable poles starting at €6 or so each. I find them good enough. Of course you can pay far more if you wish.
I bought one pole in Pamplona for €6 as I lost one of my regular poles. Lasted all the way to Santiago where I gave them away. Btw, I always check in my backpack with poles inside. Justy preference

People could take their poles home and donate there, if they don't want them anymore. Of course, it might be slightly less convenient.
True. But if I am buying poles in Europe because I can't carry them on the plane, taking them home may be a challenge and when I donate them at home to another pilgrim they will have the same difficulties with carry on that led me to buy them in Europe in the first place.

This idea will certainly work for pilgrims living in common Camino starting points.

I can't help thinking - what happens to all these poles left behind in Spain? - my mind boogles at the thought of thousands of poles discarded in Santiago de Compostella each year! Is there really such a huge market for second hand poles? Maybe someone in Santiago can let us know if they all find homes or end up in landfill. We live in such a disposable society where it is easy to buy and discard. I have paid to check mine in.
Thank you! I would love to know if there is a place to buy second hand Poles in Sarria. I'll donate at the end of my camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I don't where you can buy second hand ones in Sarria but if you are transiting through Santiago it sounds like there will be plenty to choose from there - maybe try Pilgrim House.

You can buy Opinel knives all over Spain. Legal in Spain and great for hiking because they are so lightweight. I had a Size 7 on my last Camino, just 1.4 oz.

I'm going to assume that we could purchase poles in Porto. Any recommendations as to where and what type. I've never used them before. Would it be better to purchase them at home and practise with?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm going to assume that we could purchase poles in Porto. Any recommendations as to where and what type. I've never used them before. Would it be better to purchase them at home and practise with?
Thanks
Decathalon, and yes.

Have a look on YouTube for a ‘how to’ video. I often see people using them (in my opinion) set at the wrong length and gripping the handle rather than using the strap.

Hi KingDada1!

Woody
bare no more? Dear God this post just gets worse year by year! Wot next? A FULL MONTY OF PILGIES ? the mind and other bits boggle :) :)

Samarkand

Thanks
Hi Barb,
They are easy to use. You don't need an expensive set. If you are starting at St Pied De Port there is a trekking shop next to the Pilgrim passport office. They are pretty cheap. If you are not sure how to use them properly, the guy in the shop will demonstrate how to use it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Barb,
They are easy to use. You don't need an expensive set. If you are starting at St Pied De Port there is a trekking shop next to the Pilgrim passport office. They are pretty cheap. If you are not sure how to use them properly, the guy in the shop will demonstrate how to use it.
Did I hear correctly that it would be best to “reserve” or purchase online ahead of time?

There's no need to reserve or purchase online as you can buy them in St. Jean de Port next to the program passport office as they have plenty.

There's no need to reserve or purchase online as you can buy them in St. Jean de Port next to the program passport office as they have plenty.
Also, if you don't buy any of them, you can always ask along the way at some of the Albergue if there is any trekking poles available that have been left behind by other pilgrims. Might able to pick them up for a small donation at the Albergue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Barb,
When I read Barb's post you are replying to, I got the impression she was starting in Porto for the Camino Portugues, a fair ways away from SJPP. I could be wrong though. The folks in the Decathlon may be as helpful, but I wouldn't count on it and would check out some YouTube videos.
Thanks

When I read Barb's post you are replying to, I got the impression she was starting in Porto for the Camino Portugues, a fair ways away from SJPP. I could be wrong though. The folks in the Decathlon may be as helpful, but I wouldn't count on it and would check out some YouTube videos.
I'm actually starting in Vigo but spending a few days in Porto first.

Day 11: Puente Duero to Valladolid
23.6 km with all the tourism

We all got up about 6 today and had breakfast together, me, my fellow pilgrim from Madrid, and the Italian hospitalero who prepared the breakfast. Then it was gather our stuff and hit the road for 7 am. It was hard saying goodbye to her. You meet so few fellow pilgrims that you treasure the ones you come across, especially when you see them day after day after day. But she is on to Peñaflor de Hornija and I was heading to Valladolid. I will get to Peñaflor de Hornija the day after tomorrow.

The walk to Valladolid was first through pine forests alongside a highway and then through suburbs. I plotted the route through Organic Maps (the successor to Maps.me). There was a point where it diverged from the regular GPS tracks of the Camino de Madrid detour to Valladolid and then rejoined them, taking me through quieter streets farther from the highway.

Once in Valladolid I met a fellow Camino Forums regular (DoughnutANZ) for a coffee (actually, he had a coffee and I had a granizada). As it turned our, the place we sat down was right next to the Church of Santiago Apostol) so after our beverages, and after the church opened at 11:15, we went in and got our credentials stamped. After that we went our separate ways.

I headed up to drop off my bags where I was staying. Then I went to see the town. First stop was a bank Maxine because I am running short on the euros I withdrew in Madrid. Next stop was the Cervantes house/library/museum. After that I went to check out the tapas/pinchos festival that seems to be on this weekend, which also involves a companion. At the festival, they have booths where the winners from previous years offer up their prize-winning tapas. A €25 entrance fee gets you a souvenir goblet, a bag to hang from your neck to hold it, two beverage tickets, and five tapas tickets. I looked carefully through the offerings and picked which five I wanted. After enjoying the tapas, I decided to check out the cathedral, since check in time where I am staying isn't officially until 3 (although they let me drop off my backpack and gave me the keys earlier). But the cathedral is closed until 4:30 and the Sculpture museum doesn't open until 4:00, so it is back to the Air B&B for a bit of a rest.

The folks at the Air B&B were nice enough to do my laundry and it is out there drying. I hope it dries in time. In the meantime, I went to the sculpture museum. What an amazing museum, not least for the art and architecture and sculpture of the plateresque monastery in which it located. I took tons of photos and it is really something to see if you have an interest in 15th through 18th century art (they say 13th through 18th, but what was on display today really started with the 15th century. Anyways, I am back at the Air B&B and I think that's where I will stay. I had been thinking of going out for supper (a place was recommended that when I walked by looked fine) but I'm just not feeling it. I think I will lie down for a while. I will need to get an early start tomorrow because it will be a longer day than planned (although not longer than I expect the average to be for this Camino).

Photos below:
- Yet another walk through the pines (to Valladolid)
- Pilgrim shell in the pavement in Valladolid (even when you think you are off Camino you are on Camino)
- The kitchen in Cervantes' House (although they now think the cooking was more likely done in the courtyard)
- One of the fancy tapas/pinchos from the festival
- Valladolid street (leading to the Cathedral)
- One of the facades of the sculpture museum

20230616_073715.jpg 20230616_093843.jpg 20230616_125648.jpg 20230616_133059.jpg 20230616_140321.jpg 20230616_160442.jpg

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.