• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

True Spirit.

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
When I met my wife in Santiago she asked me if I was a changed man after the Camino, I told her no, I was still the same cranky old sod that left five weeks earlier. I did not believe the Camino had changed me, I loved doing it, I loved meeting all the different people, some of whom I am still friends with, I hated the journey coming to an end. It was only much later that I saw the subtle changes the Camino had made on me, the Camino and indeed this forum and the people on it with whom I interact on a regular basis. It made me want to be a better person.

A while ago I met my doctor while out walking, he walks the same route as me, and he asked me the same question, did the Camino change you, this time I said yes, I realised that if I lost all my possessions, except for my walking gear and pack, I knew I would survive and that the possessions did not mean as much to me any more. He said that he thought that the Camino routine had started to reveal my “true spirit” and that this often happens when people strip everything back to the bare basics.

I have thought long and hard about this conversation in the last few weeks and I think he is right. Our true spirit begins to be covered or tarnished by consumerism and all the “must haves” we encounter in our lives and with what life throws at us sometimes. I think it starts even much earlier now, especially with children, sweets at the checkout counter that they must have, Christmas toys that are advertised as early as August/September that they must have, mobile phones, tablets and x boxes are burying their true spirits.

I came to the simplistic conclusion that our true spirits are like the headlights of a car, if you take care of the car the lights will shine brightly but if you take it off road and abuse it the lights will get coated in mud and grime and the lights will dim and will eventually be concealed.

Reb made a remark in a post a while back about the OP, saying " After all that trail-time, I bet you are scrubbed clean and pressed sharp on the inside!" and this remark hit the nail on the head for me, I think I had to strip away a lifetime of grime and try and let my true spirit shine again. I’m not there yet by any stretch of the imagination, but I will continue to try.

Thank you all for helping to clean my car. :)

Edit: Rebs actual remark.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great post, and one I'm sure many of us relate to. I was never in doubt that the Camino changed me, and some of it I'm still getting my head around. My Caminos have coincided with other changes in my life that have also made me see things differently, so it's difficult to isolate what is specifically the result of any single one. One example is like the cliché about 'waking up and smelling the coffee', except I do it literally. Where before I would just shove some instant in a cup and consume, now I make proper coffee and savour it. It might seem like the opposite of simplicity to shift to more expensive and time consuming coffee habits, but it feels like a simple thing done to the full. Does that make any sense? Maybe it's just living more in the moment.

There are other things in my life apart from coffee, but I can't think of any just now. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow thank you all for expressing in words some wonderful thoughts! If I were to try and express my agreement with you all,it would be inferior to your most able efforts. There is a real harmony in our opened spirits after camino to learn new things here on the forum as well as in our daily lives.

"A while ago I met my doctor while out walking, he walks the same route as me, and he asked me the same question, did the Camino change you, this time I said yes, I realised that if I lost all my possessions, except for my walking gear and pack, I knew I would survive and that the possessions did not mean as much to me any more. He said that he thought that the Camino routine had started to reveal my “true spirit” and that this often happens when people strip everything back to the bare basics."

I still live with all the grime stripped and burnt away by the trial, and the trail...
it is the gift of travel i received

Older slower and definitely comfortably worn, i can fit life in almost any situation
its easier to travel lightly
Like a tree,having learnt to bend in the wind
so i wouldn't break, the wind swept trees are most beautiful no?
or like the stones on the beach, you can fight day and night, against the storm and wrack of life, or just let the waters flow around you, over, under and around you, and enjoy the waters.

I am still learning to shed away the dross, so that my ultimate life can shine through.
Its a beautiful observation you've made!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My thoughts are with him, his family and friends and you. He has truly now stripped away the last layer ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am very sad to say that my friend and doctor that gave me this great insight to how the Camino changed me, sadly passed away yesterday. He was six months younger than me. He will be greatly missed.
RIP Eamon.

I'm sorry Wayfarer...it is hard to lose a wise and beloved friend. Thinking of you and of his family today.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
“The greatest privilege of a human life is to become midwife to the birth of the soul” Your Doctor friend lived such a life wayfarer and you recognised his wisdom. I pray may he rest in peace, thinking of you and your friend's family this evening.

Wayfarer
My condolences for the great loss.
But i think every now and then,youll here his gentle whisper,blow like a gentle breeze..crossing heart and soul and filling sail once again for the journeys as yet unfinished .

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back