• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two Passports?

L Squared

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2021)
Camino Frances (April 17, - May, 15, 2015)
I am a US citizen with a US passport. I just recently have received Irish citizenship through foreign birth registration, my grandmother was born in Ireland, and now I have applied for and received my Irish passport. I was planning on bringing both passports for my camino. But I really don't know if this is necessary or desirable. I'm only staying in Spain 7 weeks, so I can do that as a US citizen with no problems. I'm assuming there may be times where having an Irish passport may be an advantage. Does anyone have any experience traveling in Spain as a US versus Irish citizen?
Should I bring both passports or one? If one, then which one?
Laura

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am a US citizen with a US passport. I just recently have received Irish citizenship through foreign birth registration, my grandmother was born in Ireland, and now I have applied for and received my Irish passport. I was planning on bringing both passports for my camino. But I really don't know if this is necessary or desirable. I'm only staying in Spain 7 weeks, so I can do that as a US citizen with no problems. I'm assuming there may be times where having an Irish passport may be an advantage. Does anyone have any experience traveling in Spain as a US versus Irish citizen?
Laura

For that length of time it should not really matter.

Just bring one, ( why risk both) neither are likely to bestow or deny any particular advantage.

Given you have recently received your Irish passport why not take it for a run out? It would be interesting to hear what your experience was. (Did they include the instructions for the special handshake?)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take both: the Irish one to go into Spain, the US to get back home. Having the Irish one will allow you to basically skip customs and get out of the airport faster.

"Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter that country."

http://canada.usembassy.gov/consular_services/dual-citizenship.html

Thanks Anemone del Camino, I'll bring both.
Kevin_A - I'll hide the US one away for the entire Camino until I return to the US and just use the Irish passport while in Spain. I'll give that Irish passport a test drive per your suggestion.
I was hoping to save some pack weight but since I'll need both I'll bring them both.
Laura

Laura
i've got an US and a euro passport - use the euro passport when entering europe and while traveling there & crossing borders
(shorter entry lines / less hassle) - and am using the US passport when entering the US (same reason: shorter entry lines / less hassle)
plus i also took paper copies of both passport plus took photo images on the iPad for record keeping in case of loss or other hic-ups related to passport matters.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you were issued with a PPS number when you got your passport then you can apply for the E111 card. This is a very important card to have while traveling in Europe as it qualifies you for free medical care in any public hospital and some regional private hospitals. I had a stent fitted in a private hospital in Bayonne in 2014 at the start of my Camino and the cost to me was €70. That was just the admin fee. Well worth getting.

Laura

Laura
Doesn't make a difference as long as you do not overstay with your American one. Unless you are under 26 and for some museums etc, being Irish will not be an advantage

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some museum access etc is free, or cheaper , to EU citizens so the Irish passport could be useful for that. You might need to apply on-line for the EU health card before leaving home. They take a couple of weeks to arrive here in the UK and probably longer to the states.

Last edited:
Bring both, you might qualify for an EHIC card for medical care while in the EU due to holding an Irish Passport.
http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/

Important caveat re the EHIC card - my understanding is that you can only apply for this if you are ordinarily resident in Ireland (which usually means for 180 days in a year). Useful faq page here: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/faqs/FAQs.html#Can anyone get a European Health Insurance Card?

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks everyone for your reply's! Since I don't pay taxes in Ireland, nor live there 180 days a year, I'm sure I don't qualify for the medical card. Which is OK as I have US medical insurance which covers me for emergency care while traveling as well as I have purchased an additional travel medical policy.

I do hope to reap the benefits of being an Irish citizen for reduced museum admissions for EU passport holders. :D

Last edited:
I worked in Europe for a long time and some of my colleagues had USA passports. It always took them an hour or so longer to get through immigration so like someone above said it better to be selective where you use the Irish one.

I worked in Europe for a long time and some of my colleagues had USA passports. It always took them an hour or so longer to get through immigration so like someone above said it better to be selective where you use the Irish one.

I'll definitely be using my Irish passport when I arrive in Madrid. I don't want to miss my train to Pamplona! (Although I have four hours to make the train).
Laura

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm supprised that being an Irish citizen enables you to have reduced or free museum admissions in Spain (for what reason ?)
What's sure is that being a "peregrino", via your credentiel, often enables reduced or free entrances to museums or monuments in Spain and in France ;)

Important caveat re the EHIC card - my understanding is that you can only apply for this if your are ordinarily resident in Ireland (which usually means for 180 days in a year). Useful faq page here: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/faqs/FAQs.html#Can anyone get a European Health Insurance Card?
Absolutely, these advantages are only for those who have paid taxes in the country. In Quebec for example, if you are a local who decides to spend 50% plus 1 day outside of the country (not paying taxes) you do not get health benefits.

I'm supprised that being an Irish citizen enables you to have reduced or free museum admissions in Spain (for what reason ?)
What's sure is that being a "peregrino", via your credentiel, often enables reduced or free entrances to museums or monuments in Spain and in France ;)

There is a convention among EU member nations on this--- if memory serves me well (and it might not), at the Valle de los Caidos, it operated for one day a week to get free entry. The pilgrim's credential is not as useful as it was a few years ago for free or reduced entrance. I found that it is best in some local museums (as in Balaguer), but it was of no use at the Monastery of Las Huelgas in Burgos. Still, it can't hurt to try.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a convention among EU member nations on this--- if memory serves me well (and it might not), at the Valle de los Caidos, it operated for one day a week to get free entry. The pilgrim's credential is not as useful as it was a few years ago for free or reduced entrance. I found that it is best in some local museums (as in Balaguer), but it was of no use at the Monastery of Las Huelgas in Burgos. Still, it can't hurt to try.
And honestly, for those who can afford it, why take advantage of these rebates? You opt to stay in a pension, hostel, parader, have enough integrity to pay your way in "donativos' and other 'discount places'.

The museum entry is part of an agreement, I believe, when receiving EU funding for the museum etc. We received free entry to one of the caves (not Altamira) and a Spanish citizen who had accidentally left his ID behind had to pay. It isn't 'taking advantage' in a negative sense, and it seems to be fair to EU citizens as our taxes will have contributed to the funding. :) Then we can support the local economy with a cafe con leche etc....
The credencial is usually only used for reduced/free rates for pilgrim related museums etc -eg the Camara Santa in Oviedo is free, but not the related museum.

Its not being Irish that gets you reduced or free admission, its being European as in being members of the EU, as Tia said we all pay the taxes for these facilities so why not get some benefits.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Regarding free entry into museums: I was surprised when I was asked if I was a member of the EU when visiting Italica in Santiponce along the Vía de la Plata. I assumed that it was for their statistics but they waved me through when I said that I lived in The Netherlands.
Within Europe I always travel with my Dutch passport and as others have mentioned use my US one only when entering and leaving the US. Believe it or not, it was an immigration officer at Houston airport that told me to do this!

Thanks everyone for your reply's! Since I don't pay taxes in Ireland, nor live there 180 days a year, I'm sure I don't qualify for the medical card. Which is OK as I have US medical insurance which covers me for emergency care while traveling as well as I have purchased an additional travel medical policy.

I do hope to reap the benefits of being an Irish citizen for reduced museum admissions for EU passport holders. :D
unfortunately these reduced admissions usually only happen at state run places (such as the prado museum) and only for 'younger' EU citizens (age requirements change).

us spanish 'older' adults pay full fare, which really annoys me as i am already paying through my taxes for these places. c'est la vie.

As for myself, I am Irish born. I spent 30% of my earlier years fishing on the quay in Dingle , my family being of the the Brandon Creek area. I traveled the majority of my 62 years on an Irish passport, and proud of my heritage indeed. Having spent most of my life here (in the USA) I considered myself an American citizen . As we all the remember the terrors of 2011...I chose to keep my Irish heritage close to my soul. When it was time to renew my passport I thought it was only right to support and defend this wonderful nation. I am Irish, I am a property owner in Ireland and I wish to take my last breath in Kerry
......I walk the Camino as an American, proud and knowing that my my family fought for a free Ireland and my children fought for peace in this world in the US military.

God bless the home of my birth and God bless the nation I now live.

I chose to proudly enter the EU and walk another Camino as an American citizen.

Sitting here looking at five Irish passports I remember my mother and father who came here for a better life....

God, I love Ireland
But I understand we/ I am now American.

Laura

I have an Australian passport and a British passport. I live in Australia but I was born in England. I used the British passport to enter the European Union (I started the Camino in France) as it's easier - you don't have to fill out an immigration card and queue up to get an entry stamp. And it means you can stay as long as you want - I know in terms of your timeframe that's not an issue but if something goes wrong at least you won't have to worry about extending your stay. I would use the European Union passport (i.e. your Irish one) to enter Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back