• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two queries re biking on Portuguese Camino from Lisbon

GDRD

Time of past OR future Camino
France/Spain biking 1050km
1 - Is a mountain bike with front suspension essential for this Camino?
2 - Can anyone suggest a place to stay about 70 km from Lisbon (in-beween the stage from Vila Franca de Xira to Santarem? Or is Vila Franca de Xira an essential stop (it is only 40 km flat biking from Lisbon).
Thanks again, Robyn.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
2 - Can anyone suggest a place to stay about 70 km from Lisbon (in-beween the stage from Vila Franca de Xira to Santarem? Or is Vila Franca de Xira an essential stop (it is only 40 km flat biking from Lisbon).
Thanks again, Robyn.
Hi, Robyn,

Azambuja is an obvious place, about 18 km north of Vila Franca. Cartaxo is another, about 15 km further north of Vila Franca, I think. Both have accommodation options. I can’t imagine what would be essential about stopping in Vila Franca!

Sorry I can’t help with the bike question, having only walked. Buen camino, Laurie

"1 - Is a mountain bike with front suspension essential for this Camino?"

Strictly speaking, no, but as with so many things it depends; age, ability, experience, preferences, amount of gear being carried, strictly camino or some road as well, etc. It's a wide ranging question and little point getting into detail here, you should know from your own riding ability & experience your preferences. In my case, early 70s, I have progressed(?) from a hybrid touring bike to a hard-tail touring bike but would prefer to tour on a full-sus now as they are so much more comfortable. Maybe you should ask yourself "do you enjoy riding downhill on trails as fast as possible?, if so take a hard-tail, if not a hybrid / touring bike will suffice.

Hope this helps to set you thinking.

Buen camino whichever bike you choose. Richard.

PS Maybe wider tyres are better but again not essential.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
2 - Can anyone suggest a place to stay about 70 km from Lisbon (in-beween the stage from Vila Franca de Xira to Santarem?
I am not a cyclist, but knowing that the albergue at Porto de Muge had closed following the death of the hospitalero, I contemplated crossing the Rio Tejo and walking to Muge. It is on one of the southern routes to Fatima. While I wouldn't expect the section Porto de Muge to Muge to be waymarked, it doesn't look like it would present any navigational challenges. In the end I didn't cross the river from Porto de Muge, but took a bus and then the a train from there to Santarem, returning to Muge by bus the following day and walking to Santarem. The route is well marked and off the main roads except at the very end from Tapada, where it is on a major road as it (re-)crosses the Rio Tejo.

The people with the best idea of which type is the most suitable would be the bike hire companies. They have to service / fix them when returned so would know which are suited and which give less reason for complaint from customers.

As you are flying in from The Shire, would assume you'll be hiring.

Thanks again, Robyn.
I’ve just cycled from Lisbon to Coimbra in September. I used the Buen Camino app to help me with planning stages and finding accommodation. I stayed at Vila F, but could have gone further. I used a front suspension bike and was glad of it. The terrain is very variable, tarmac, gravel, forest and unsealed farm roads, and cobbles! … so maybe not essential, but there were enough rocky, bumpy downhills that I was glad I had suspension. I hired from Bike Iberia in Lisbon…have used them several times, always good 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I highly recommend a bike with front suspension as you will see a lot of cobblestone roman roads and they will knock your fillings out ;) plus you will see forest tracks and trails so the suspension is a big help . Enjoy its a great trip .

I am not a cyclist, but knowing that the albergue at Porto de Muge had closed following the death of the hospitalero, I contemplated crossing the Rio Tejo and walking to Muge. It is on one of the southern routes to Fatima. While I wouldn't expect the section Porto de Muge to Muge to be waymarked, it doesn't look like it would present any navigational challenges. In the end I didn't cross the river from Porto de Muge, but took a bus and then the a train from there to Santarem, returning to Muge by bus the following day and walking to Santarem. The route is well marked and off the main roads except at the very end from Tapada, where it is on a major road as it (re-)crosses the Rio Tejo.
Just a side question, the albergue that you said was closed is it Quinta da Burra ? And that the hospitalero who died is Paula ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back