• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

UK Pilgrims - Merino wool Aldi Thursday 28th September

MikeyC

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
A heads up that Aldi here in the UK has a special on Thursday, 28th September to include short and long sleeved base layers, leggings, beanies, neck warmers, etc. Some items and sizes still available to pre-order on line. Base layers stated as 100% merino.
For a Antipodean take on a similar event in Australia search the equivalent thread from Kanga this year - it is brilliant!
(No, I don't work for Aldi)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Cheers for the heads up on this MikeyC. I just checked and they will be in the Irish stores as well on Thursday. We are starting Friday week so I am going to go in and get a few bits next Thursday for it.

I have never seen any garments sold in Aldi stores in the U.S. They carry limited household items occasionally.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A heads up that Aldi here in the UK has a special on Thursday, 28th September to include short and long sleeved base layers, leggings, beanies, neck warmers, etc. Some items and sizes still available to pre-order on line. Base layers stated as 100% merino.
For a Antipodean take on a similar event in Australia search the equivalent thread from Kanga this year - it is brilliant!
Thanks for the heads-up, MikeyC. With the usual price of merino products in mind, I'm getting in line as we speak.

I think I've heard that Gerard is on a flight to the UK to be first in line at the Aldi sale, elbowing his way down the aisles to get to the best stuff first. :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
100% merino wool, yes, but it's cheap and it's very coarse and scratchy. Be aware.

I bought several items last year, and found I can't wear them. I was able to return a couple of items, and have washed the others a good few times but still find them too itchy next to my skin.

I can wear more expensive brands of merino wool, so it's not just me.

100% merino wool, yes, but it's cheap and it's very coarse and scratchy. Be aware.

I bought several items last year, and found I can't wear them. I was able to return a couple of items, and have washed the others a good few times but still find them too itchy next to my skin.

Julia T I think you were in the wrong shopping aisle, I said to bring home merrino wool not wire wool :p:p:p

Sadly not all wool is created equally, and not everything that is labeled merino is actually pure merino. Scott resisted merinos for a long time as he had bad memories of old shearing singlets and scratchy wool, then he discovered my merinos and thereafter used to almost sew himself into them for the winter. Thankfully we can stock up when we pass the Icebreaker sales stores or see Macpac stuff discounted via their website, both these brands offer different weights of finely knitted merino garments, some are ultra light and smooth thanks to the way they are processed. Across the ditch Aldi is supposed to also be a reliable budget brand, but check your labels, sometimes it is only 30% merino.

The best thing about merino for camino use is its no-stink properties!

Ohh, my post above isn't supposed to be raising Trans Tasman rivalry. Aussie merino is great. And we have them to thank for the wonderful possum, which when not decimating our native bush makes and absolutely stunning fibre (especially when blended with merino)… perhaps not for thermals but for socks and scarves it is amazing.

In my local ALDI there is a 90 day, no questions asked return policy when you can show your receipt. Granted, the item I returned was a non-clothing item, but there was no problem at all.

All I can say is : be quick. Here in Oz Aldi have a reputation for having very limited stock on these specials (and in reference to clothes - unusual sizes - say 3 Small or even X-Small, 1 or no Medium - and then 5 XX-Large). For us going into summer we will have to wait until March or April for their next warm clothing sales. Thanks for the heads up - maybe a few Aussies visiting the UK will be able to take advantage. Cheers

Yipee- an Aldi day out, thanks for that. ( Though I often find the special offers aren't all in stock and seem to come home with chocolate and some new tool that I didn't realise I needed :))

Thanks v much MikeyC (and Aldi) for helping me to refresh my walking wardrobe!

Thanks v much MikeyC (and Aldi) for helping me to refresh my walking wardrobe!
Yup, thanks from me too. Managed to snaffle a couple of 100% merino t-shirts from the Carlisle branch. Not quite as high quality as Icebreaker, but about a third the price. Also a merino neck warmer for £5 which is a great improvement on my ageing and much more expensive one, and some waterproof socks por si acaso.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for letting us know. There's cycling clothing too if anyone's interested. I bought a Marino neck warmer and managed to come out with only a modest selection of unexpected extras .

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.