• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umbrella or not?

C

Camino Chris

On my first Camino I only had 2 days of partial rain in 38 days. Since I prefer using a rain jacket, there were a few times when I had to decide if the drizzle I encountered was worth me removing my pack in order to put on my rain jacket or hope the rain would stop and do nothing about it. Sometimes I put the jacket on, only to remove it a few minutes later...annoying.
Last year I walked the Del Norte/Primitivo route knowing the likelihood of rain and decided to add an UMBRELLA. I was glad I did because I used it quite often in drizzle and didn't need to mess with my raingear. It also protected my pack from getting wet as well, so no need to put on the pack cover either at times.
I will be walking the Frances route again in mid April and pondering if I should bring an umbrella this time as it does add more weight. Sooo, I would like to ask those of you who have experience using umbrellas on the Camino for rain (not sun)...if it was it a good experience, and if so, would you take one again? Did you use a basic one, or purchase a special lightweight hiking umbrella?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I never used an umbrella, mainly because rain often comes with wind - making an umbrella useless. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I never used an umbrella, mainly because rain often comes with wind - making an umbrella useless. Buen Camino, SY
Thank you for the comment. That was my prior opinion, too. However, I encountered very little to no wind mostly, so it worked well for drizzle situations. A couple of times I did put it away if the rain became harsh. Loved it for the drizzle though and it saved me numerous times from donning the rain jacket!

I hesitated bringing my Euroschirm hands free umbrella, because of the extra weight, but it was soooo wonderful to carry my own shade, especially on the Meseta! Worked pretty good in the rain too. :p
It did turn inside out a couple of times in the wind, but I was able to quickly fix it.
I'll have to look that one up and compare the weight difference with mine. I never had to walk in heat, but I'm sure they are great for that, too. Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I always hike/backpack with an umbrella, so my vote is yes.

For me, it is a multipurpose item.

Rain: perfect for drizzles that don't call for pulling out the raincoat or poncho And also good for evening/site-seeing/travel days. I wear a Packa for hiking in serious rain, which has a built in packcover, and so is awkward to use without a pack.

Sun: Lowers temperature significantly. Also allows me to use less sunblock - a heavy item that feels gross, isn't very effective on me, and makes me hotter.

I use the Euroschirm Swing Liteflex. It is very lightweight, has solid simple construction that holds up very well to wind, and a silver reflective coating that seriously drops the temp underneath it.

In 2012 I walked most of the Meseta with my umbrella held sideways cos thats the way the rain was coming too
Hi Tincatinker, I'm new to the forum, but recognize you from the many informative and dry humor comments you give, such as this one! I had a good laugh.

Aw
I always hike/backpack with an umbrella, so my vote is yes.

For me, it is a multipurpose item.

Rain: perfect for drizzles that don't call for pulling out the raincoat or poncho And also good for evening/site-seeing/travel days. I wear a Packa for hiking in serious rain, which has a built in packcover, and so is awkward to use without a pack.

Sun: Lowers temperature significantly. Also allows me to use less sunblock - a heavy item that feels gross, isn't very effective on me, and makes me hotter.

I use the Euroschirm Swing Liteflex. It is very lightweight, has solid simple construction that holds up very well to wind, and a silver reflective coating that seriously drops the temp underneath it.
Thanks for all the great information that makes me lean towards bringing an umbrella this spring! I will def be looking into the Euroschirm brand as two of you have already recommended it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my first Camino I only had 2 days of partial rain in 38 days. Since I prefer using a rain jacket, there were a few times when I had to decide if the drizzle I encountered was worth me removing my pack in order to put on my rain jacket or hope the rain would stop and do nothing about it. Sometimes I put the jacket on, only to remove it a few minutes later...annoying.
Last year I walked the Del Norte/Primitivo route knowing the likelihood of rain and decided to add an UMBRELLA. I was glad I did because I used it quite often in drizzle and didn't need to mess with my raingear. It also protected my pack from getting wet as well, so no need to put on the pack cover either at times.
I will be walking the Frances route again in mid April and pondering if I should bring an umbrella this time as it does add more weight. Sooo, I would like to ask those of you who have experience using umbrellas on the Camino for rain (not sun)...if it was it a good experience, and if so, would you take one again? Did you use a basic one, or purchase a special lightweight hiking umbrella?
I loved my trekking umbrella, which weighs only 8 oz. and is well worth those few ounces, IMHO.
I used it against gale force winds crossing the Pyrenees and it is all plastic parts and resisted the wind beautifully, keeping much of the wind off of me. I used a cheap rain poncho and my trek umbrella for both rain and sun, and had better visibility that way.
Look for the Euroschirm Swing Light Flex, as other poster mentioned. (Go Lite sold the "Chrome Dome", same Euroschirm umbrella, but went out of business.)

For those of you that like the idea of taking an umbrella, @ivar sells one here in the forum shop: https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/collections/hiking-umbrella Not cheap, but hand free ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

Looks like he's just reselling one version of the Euroschirm. Going directly to the source (through Euroschirm, not a middleman) gives a lot more options.

Opinions vary on this of course, but I personally do not understand the appeal of handsfree. I hold my umbrella (I have the liteflex version) and am always intuitively adjusting for direction and angle of the sun (or rain). Handsfree, besides being 6-ish oz heavier, seems more cumbersome to use and less fine-tuned coverage?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sooo, I would like to ask those of you who have experience using umbrellas on the Camino for rain (not sun)...if it was it a good experience, and if so, would you take one again? Did you use a basic one, or purchase a special lightweight hiking umbrella?

These days most people get the weather forecast on their smartphones, so you know exactly which day it will probably start raining. So the next town you get to, before the rain starts, find a China Shop and buy an umbrella (but not the fold-up kind) for 5 or 6 euros. That has happened to me on two different caminos. And both times the umbrella was so unbelievably strong and sturdy (even in the wind) that I took it home with me. I would do the same again – purchase one if I needed to. It can hang on the side of your pack when not in use.
Jill

I would again DEFINATELY .... Took light weight umbrella on Frances 2016..... only silly thing I did was forget it was in the top of pack with rain gear on some scorching hot days with no shade .... kicked myself when I woke up and started using it against sun .... only had one day of rain ...
ultreia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

In two years and over 5000km on Caminos including from Geneva and walking back to SJPdP from Finisterre in winter (December) I have used a Euroschirm handsfree hiking brolly. It was never once defeated by the wind! It is designed for wind I think in its shape, plus you can angle it so the wind does not catch underneath. I must say this surprised me when I first started using it!

Davey

Opinions vary on this of course, but I personally do not understand the appeal of handsfree. I hold my umbrella (I have the liteflex version) and am always intuitively adjusting for direction and angle of the sun (or rain). Handsfree, besides being 6-ish oz heavier, seems more cumbersome to use and less fine-tuned coverage?[/QUOTE]
I like the hands free because I like to use two hiking poles. It's pretty easy to change the direction of my hands free umbrella, and the clips on the backpack straps keep it very stable. I don't think that I'd like to hold up an umbrella for hours on end.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Love my handsfree Euroschrimm silver top umbrella. Good against the sun, cover my eyeglasses from the rain and allows me to walk with my Altus only closed half way, so no condensation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like the hands free because I like to use two hiking poles. It's pretty easy to change the direction of my hands free umbrella, and the clips on the backpack straps keep it very stable. I don't think that I'd like to hold up an umbrella for hours on end.

Hmmm..... maybe I'll give this a second look. It just seemed to me like an umbrella attached to my body/pack would be more "jiggly", and also less adjustable. And the extra weight.....

I do wish giving one a try wasn't such an investment though! :confused: My lightflex was already more than I ever expected to spend on an umbrella (but no regrets!)

And ok, I'll regretfully admit (which I hate admitting, because really, I promise, I'm not a particularly vain person - which you would believe if you ever see me in my hiking get-up)...... but I have a bit of bias I guess about how dorky the handsfree umbrellas look. :oops: I don't need any help in the looking-dorky department.

I love that I don't have to wear a hat in the sun! Keeps my head so much cooler.

Agreed, forgot to mention that benefit! I recently, finally, just this year, found a great sun hat I can tolerate. But, still, better without. Like sunblock, hats just make me hotter. (and not in the good way)

Then you are obviously not using walking sticke ;-) Buen Camino, SY

No, I do actually. Swear by them. I just switch between 2 poles (& a hat) when really required due to terrain, and 1 pole and umbrella when really required by heat.

And ok, I'll regretfully admit (which I hate admitting, because really, I promise, I'm not a particularly vain person - which you would believe if you ever see me in my hiking get-up)...... but I have a bit of bias I guess about how dorky the handsfree umbrellas look. :oops: I don't need any help in the looking-dorky department.
I know what you mean, but after a few days with crazy hair and no makeup, a hands free umbrella wasn't a big deal. And I can tell you, on the Meseta, I could have made a fortune selling them!

These days most people get the weather forecast on their smartphones, so you know exactly which day it will probably start raining. So the next town you get to, before the rain starts, find a China Shop and buy an umbrella (but not the fold-up kind) for 5 or 6 euros. That has happened to me on two different caminos. And both times the umbrella was so unbelievably strong and sturdy (even in the wind) that I took it home with me. I would do the same again – purchase one if I needed to. It can hang on the side of your pack when not in use.
Jill
A smart alternative idea to also consider!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know what you mean, but after a few days with crazy hair and no makeup, a hands free umbrella wasn't a big deal. And I can tell you, on the Meseta, I could have made a fortune selling them!

Yeah, I gotta remember..... people stop laughing at you when they start getting jealous. :D

I live in a big city, so sometimes my training is just in city greenbelt parks when I don't have the time to disappear for primitive weekends in the woods. I see all those hipster 20-somethings, gym-rat dudes, and lululemon soccer moms giving me side-eye as they jog past me in my skirt and knee socks and loaded backpack and poles and sunhat or umbrella..... a big part of my camino training is giving them a big toothly smile and a good morning and not caring that they're laughing their butts off at me.

I've been hiking/backpacking/camping/camino-ing for 3 decades now. No matter what I do, I just cannot manage to look cool and hardcore doing it.

A smart alternative idea to also consider!

It is - if you only intend to use it for rain.

But if you have any intention of using an umbrella for sun protection, the silver reflective canopy of a trekking umbrella is seriously worth it. I do a lot of desert hiking, and there is a noticeable temperature drop underneath.

I never really minded carrying my umbrella last year either, as the stem rested nicely on my shoulder anyway, and as you mentioned, I too felt I had more control of the angle. Good point.

I never really minded carrying my umbrella last year either, as the stem rested nicely on my shoulder anyway, and as you mentioned, I too felt I had more control of the angle. Good point.
P.S. I forgot to mention I most always hike with only one of my poles, except in deep, muddy water or slick rocks, cuz I'm always taking pictures with my free hand, so holding the umbrella was never a problem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OK, I just took a closer look at the Handsfree Euroschirm.

It has 6" more canopy diameter than my Liteflex. That's a big plus. And it can be used as a regular umbrella too (not hands free). That's a plus also - more flexible.

I'm generally good with 1 pole + umbrella, and like Chris said, it's perfectly comfortable resting on my shoulder, and I've gotten very intuitive about manually adjusting it. But there are some times when I would really appreciate 2 poles and the umbrella at the same time. Or my hands more free for the camera or guidebook. Choice & flexibility are good to have.

Downside, besides more money, is about 6 oz more weight.

Last edited:
OK, I just took a closer look at the Handsfree Euroschirm.

It has 14" more canopy diameter than my Liteflex. That's a very big plus. And it can be used as a regular umbrella too (not hands free). That's a plus also - more flexible.

I'm generally good with 1 pole + umbrella, and like Chris said, it's perfectly comfortable resting on my shoulder, and I've gotten very intuitive about manually adjusting it. But there are some times when I would really appreciate 2 poles and the umbrella at the same time. Or my hands more free for the camera or guidebook. Choice & flexibility are good to have.

Downside, besides more money, is about 6 oz more weight.
Thanks for the details of your quick research and comparison!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the details of your quick research and comparison!

You're welcome! My motives may be selfish, however. The more umbrella converts I indoctrinate, the less dorky I look hiking in comparison.

I did just have to edit - it is a 14 cm (6"), not 14", bigger canopy. Still a plus.

The "handsfree" in the Euroschrimm comes from the fact that its shaft is so long that you can tie it to the backpack's hip belt and then on top at the height of the chest strap. It comes with plastic claps, but honestly, I just put it below the hip belt and chest strap and off we go. Very stable.

I like the idea of the umbrella, but did not want to carry it the whole way. I thought about having Ivar ship one to me general delivery for pickup at the Correos in Burgos before the meseta. I can then decide whether (no pun intended) want to carry it the rest of the way or donate it. Thoughts?

I like the idea of the umbrella, but did not want to carry it the whole way. I thought about having Ivar ship one to me general delivery for pickup at the Correos in Burgos before the meseta. I can then decide whether (no pun intended) want to carry it the rest of the way or donate it. Thoughts?
Do you have a crystal ball to know when it will rain? o_O

I used a Euroschirm umbrella, but not the hands free version. I improvised three shock cords on my shoulder strap to make it hands free. I considered it great for mobile shade while walking in the hot sun, using two poles. In addition, I used it while it rained.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd either take one the whole way or not bother at all as it sounds like a nuscience to go to all that trouble for a week or less, plus you'd most likely appreciate it in other situations if walking the whole 500 miles. My opinion is... all or nothing.

I love my handsfree umbrella (have the Euroshirm sold but Ivar). Handsfree because I use trekking poles. I wish, though, they would make it in lighter materials - my ideal is a cross vetween the Euroshirm handsfree and the Helinox trekking umbrella.

I would now never walk a Camino without an umbrella - I regard it as an essential bit of kit. If I did not have the Euroshirm I would still rig up a normal umbrella by pulling the handle down through the "handle" on the top of my backpack and across one shoulder and tie the strap through my waistband.

I was impressed by the Vietnamese fishing hat/umbrella @Tigger found online. Not sure how sturdy but it is certainly a great concept! @Tigger can you upload a photo?

...there were a few times when I had to decide if the drizzle I encountered was worth me removing my pack in order to put on my rain jacket or hope the rain would stop and do nothing about it. Sometimes I put the jacket on, only to remove it a few minutes later...annoying...

Hahaha! Story of my life - during motorcycle road trips. If I stop to put on rain gear, the rain stops after a couple of kilometers. If I continue, hoping that the drizzle fizzles after a few, it continues for the next 60 kilometers; heavier too.

Bring an umbrella. There are lightweight models in the market. Cheap (easy to dispose) too.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hahaha! Story of my life - during motorcycle road trips. If I stop to put on rain gear, the rain stops after a couple of kilometers. If I continue, hoping that the drizzle fizzles after a few, it continues for the next 60 kilometers; heavier too.

Bring an umbrella. There are lightweight models in the market. Cheap (easy to dispose) too.

Buen Camino
I appreciate all the comments and I think all those who responded said they love their umbrellas on the Camino would definately bring them a second time around....and that's what I'll do, too!

And has anyone mentioned that an added benefit of travelling with an umbrella is extra privacy for those occasional (hahaha) times between public toilets.
Hmmm, a very interesting concept that definately adds to their "multi use" functions!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the Euroschirm site, there is a telescoping hands-free umbrella, which appeals, but is soooo expensive. :(
I like the idea of its being made more compact, as length of the shaft could be an issue.
http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/te...ex.cgi?session=mgVpyGjJXh8sr&sprache_land=usa

I looked at that too. However, it is more expensive, a little heavier, and a little smaller canopy. Most problematic for me though is that I'm not confident that telescoping umbrellas, by their nature, are as sturdy against wind or as durable in general as fixed shaft umbrellas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the Euroschirm site, there is a telescoping hands-free umbrella, which appeals, but is soooo expensive. :(
I like the idea of its being made more compact, as length of the shaft could be an issue.
http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/te...ex.cgi?session=mgVpyGjJXh8sr&sprache_land=usa
I have the telescoping model, and haven't had a problem with it at all. It weighs less than an ounce more than the non telescoping one.
I think that the one that Ivar is selling is non telescoping.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I carried a silvered Euroshirm lightweight hiking umbrella on a combo C de Madrid/Levante/Sanabres last October/November. It was brilliant - great protection from the sun in the early stages, meant I could leave my hat off = cooler. Although the model I had wasn't designated 'hands-free', I was able to tuck the handle through a pack strap quite easily. Later on it was good for pouring rain through Galicia, provided extra protection yet meant I had a good clear field of vision. Well worth the extra 200+ gm for me. Unfortunately I somehow lost it in Rome during a later part of my holiday. I would definitely consider buying another one for a future camino.

I carried a silvered Euroshirm lightweight hiking umbrella on a combo C de Madrid/Levante/Sanabres last October/November. It was brilliant - great protection from the sun in the early stages, meant I could leave my hat off = cooler. Although the model I had wasn't designated 'hands-free', I was able to tuck the handle through a pack strap quite easily. Later on it was good for pouring rain through Galicia, provided extra protection yet meant I had a good clear field of vision. Well worth the extra 200+ gm for me. Unfortunately I somehow lost it in Rome during a later part of my holiday. I would definitely consider buying another one for a future camino.
I am finding many pilgrims have loved using an umbrella as much or even more than I did. I decided to definately take one again and may even upgrade my dollar store model to to the Euroschirm brand many have mentioned. Thank you for your input.

Because it will fit better on the back pack when not in use. I used the regular swing with a single shaft and it wasn't a big problem, but a longer one for hands-free might be more unwieldy.
I put mine in the backpack when not in use so I can't say I know how it sits outside of it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The handsfree with the longer handle is telescopic - no longer when folded up than the size of the canopy.

The handsfree with the longer handle is telescopic - no longer when folded up than the size of the canopy.

Oh I see the confusion now. Euroschirm has 2 hands-free models. The one you're referring to is the regular, original model. The Telescopic hands-free is newer, and its canopy folds up like a compact umbrella. So it has much shorter storage length when closed.

Yes I like my umbrella. It prevents the rain on my spectables and my head is not covered , so it is kept cool. I use a very light cheap aluminium one. I agree that they can not hold big wind. No problem, I buy a new one on the way.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used a helinox trekking umbrella - it was tested in a northerly gale here in Wellington before the Camino and while its plastic (?) ribs bent and turned inside out they didn't break and it popped back into shape easily. On the VDLP it was severely tested only once by wind - on the tops heading to Campobecerros. It folded but didn't break! And kept me mostly dry despite the driving rain. Nothing a night hanging up didn't cure. On the entire Camino I didn't ever use the poncho I'd packed - which I suspect might have turned me into a kite! And who cares if you look a bit dorky? No one knows you... - except other dorks on the Camino!

I love my handsfree umbrella (have the Euroshirm sold but Ivar). Handsfree because I use trekking poles. I wish, though, they would make it in lighter materials - my ideal is a cross vetween the Euroshirm handsfree and the Helinox trekking umbrella.

I would now never walk a Camino without an umbrella - I regard it as an essential bit of kit. If I did not have the Euroshirm I would still rig up a normal umbrella by pulling the handle down through the "handle" on the top of my backpack and across one shoulder and tie the strap through my waistband.

I was impressed by the Vietnamese fishing hat/umbrella @Tigger found online. Not sure how sturdy but it is certainly a great concept! @Tigger can you upload a photo?
You may all laugh ...now!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Newly-Um...rtable-Outdoor-Fishing-Umbrella-/272312588936

Not sure how to upload pics that are not on my computer...you may have to cut and paste link into your browser.

I met a guy that that had a similar umbrella hat. The only problem (other than looks) was that it bumped into his backpack.

I met a guy that that had a similar umbrella hat. The only problem (other than looks) was that it bumped into his backpack.
To be honest, I have yet to try it with my backpack (today's entertainment) but I have had some interesting incidents with narrow doorways!
Will get back to you on the backpack issue...seeing as how it cost me AUD$14,06 post free, I have already had my comedic value out of it!

Updated: Unless I do a head and neck bend back, my fetching 'stylish' Vietnamese fisherman's hat clears my small Aarn pack nicely. My husband just issued a challenge to walk around our Sydney beachside village on a hot Sunday morning wearing this outfit. Game on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To be honest, I have yet to try it with my backpack (today's entertainment) but I have had some interesting incidents with narrow doorways!
Will get back to you on the backpack issue...seeing as how it cost me AUD$14,06 post free, I have already had my comedic value out of it!

Oh my goodness, I didn't realize you'd actually ordered it! That's awesome.

I don't know you, but I already like you. :)

You may all laugh ...now!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Newly-Um...rtable-Outdoor-Fishing-Umbrella-/272312588936

Not sure how to upload pics that are not on my computer...you may have to cut and paste link into your browser.
Nothing to laugh at. Had one on my fist Camino and loved it. Took another for the Primitivo bit because my backpack (Tempest) has one of these bumps on top, it interfears with the canopy. Should have tried it on before leaving the country...

Also, consider a buff or sweat band of somesort as the elastic and whalebones in the umbrella can be irritating against the skin.

One of those personal decisions but for many years I carried a small umbrella in my side pocket and only ever used it when at my overnight destination. When you are showered and changed into clean, dry clothing it's a nice extra. But on the trail both hands are occupied with walking poles and most rain jackets come with a hood that have an elastic tie that will stop running under your chin and inside the from of your jacket. But even this is very unusual as horizontal rain isn't the norm. My two bobs worth, forget the brolly, less wait is better. Happy trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of those personal decisions but for many years I carried a small umbrella in my side pocket and only ever used it when at my overnight destination. When you are showered and changed into clean, dry clothing it's a nice extra. But on the trail both hands are occupied with walking poles and most rain jackets come with a hood that have an elastic tie that will stop running under your chin and inside the from of your jacket. But even this is very unusual as horizontal rain isn't the norm. My two bobs worth, forget the brolly, less wait is better. Happy trails

Should be less WEIGHT of course, auto correct is great, most times ... :)

Nothing to laugh at. Had one on my fist Camino and loved it. Took another for the Primitivo bit because my backpack (Tempest) has one of these bumps on top, it interfears with the canopy. Should have tried it on before leaving the country...

Also, consider a buff or sweat band of somesort as the elastic and whalebones in the umbrella can be irritating against the skin.
Mine is designed with a soft inner helmet made from light ribbons and the operative part is nowhere near my scalp. It only weighs 170 grams.

Should be less WEIGHT of course, auto correct is great, most times ... :)
Hi Tony, I walk with only one pole anyway, so appreciated my umbrella (oops, I mean brolly :)) in drizzle on the Norte in Spring. It saved me from donning my rain jacket quite a few times, so was worth it to me..

Hi Tigger, just noticed that you are a fellow Aussie in Sydney. Is there a local group of pre/post Camino walkers? If not, a great opportunity to put one together. Happy trails

Hi Tigger, just noticed that you are a fellow Aussie in Sydney. Is there a local group of pre/post Camino walkers? If not, a great opportunity to put one together. Happy trails
Hi Tony, I am a Camino virgin, preparing, however Kanga is the pro and goes to meetings in Sydney for all those interested in El Camino. At this late notice I will also advise you of a Camino festival in the Blue Mountains next weekend. Kanga will be presenting a wonderful talk. I am sure you would be very welcome...Kanga me and several others from here will be there as well as a wonderful programme of events.

http://www.visitnsw.com/destination...mba-area/blackheath/events/auscamino-festival

More specifically

http://auscamino.com.au/

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that we need a picture of you modeling it @Tigger :p
Fortunately, there is no such record.

I do however have a photo of my four year old grandson doing a sterling job (on my phone)!

He thought it was 'so cool' ( pun of a 4 year old) intended.

Looks like he's just reselling one version of the Euroschirm. Going directly to the source (through Euroschirm, not a middleman) gives a lot more options.

Opinions vary on this of course, but I personally do not understand the appeal of handsfree. I hold my umbrella (I have the liteflex version) and am always intuitively adjusting for direction and angle of the sun (or rain). Handsfree, besides being 6-ish oz heavier, seems more cumbersome to use and less fine-tuned coverage?
Hands free is handy if you like to use walking poles

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Brolly yes! Was tempted to go for a stout walking umbrella last year instead of a hiking pole (think Nicholas Crane) but the problems with air safety regulations put me off so I opted for a folding Senz in reflective silver

upload_2017-2-12_19-37-7.jpeg

SO glad I did when the temperature hit the mid 30s and there was no shade to be seen.

The Senz is tear drop shaped so you can twizzle the brolly around to get the maximum shade. Works in the rain too. The yellow arrow was an after market customisation.

Why on earth, not? If it does the job for both rain and sun( probably only in light or no wind) is cheap, and lightweight and hands free?

'twas a tongue in cheek remark - not to be taken seriously :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tony, I am a Camino virgin, preparing, however Kanga is the pro and goes to meetings in Sydney for all those interested in El Camino. At this late notice I will also advise you of a Camino festival in the Blue Mountains next weekend. Kanga will be presenting a wonderful talk. I am sure you would be very welcome...Kanga me and several others from here will be there as well as a wonderful programme of events.

http://www.visitnsw.com/destination...mba-area/blackheath/events/auscamino-festival

More specifically

http://auscamino.com.au/
Thanks for the info Tigger. Will book today and hopefully find a local place to stay. See you over the weekend. T

Hi Tony, I walk with only one pole anyway, so appreciated my umbrella (oops, I mean brolly :)) in drizzle on the Norte in Spring. It saved me from donning my rain jacket quite a few times, so was worth it to me..
Good point but as always, there are so many different circumstances. In summer when you have rain showers and sun, I simply keep walking. You may get a little wet but soon dry off from both the heat of exertion and the sun. Plus, it can be very refreshing to have cool rain in the face :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You may all laugh ...now! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Newly-Um...rtable-Outdoor-Fishing-Umbrella-/272312588936

Here you go.
s-l64.jpg

I would wear that if it will not be interfering with the backpack. I have worn worse (weightwise) a long time ago - literally a roof. :p
images

Last edited:
Yes..... The very first thing I pack. Easier than putting a poncho on and off. Plus instant shade.
You can get very lightweight ones just tuck it in the side pocket of your backpack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here you go.
s-l64.jpg

I would wear that if it will not be interfering with the backpack. I have worn worse (weightwise) a long time ago - literally a roof. :p
images
Hysterical! Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh! I wanna get to heaven, but not by way of that thing. On second thought...I'm gonna get one. :rolleyes:

In 2012 I walked most of the Meseta with my umbrella held sideways cos thats the way the rain was coming too

“We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin’ rain … and big ol’ fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath.”

Forrest Gump

(Forrest is my bud. We grew up in the same part of the country and shared more than a few experiences....)

Last edited:

I now carry an umbrella but instead of a poncho! (Same weight).
Mind you, on the Camino , it was mostly used to protect me from the sun, as I walk in the Summer.
One of those large hiking umbrellas Ivar now sells.
And yes, they work even if it is incredibly windy! I didn't expect that!
Protects you from heavy rain too, I tried it in England :) No poncho, no rain cover, just wearing a very light windproof jacket and Bob's your uncle ;). I just make sure everything in my backpack is in water proof bags, my clothes and especially my sleeping bag.. Works for me.

Last edited:
In two years and over 5000km on Caminos including from Geneva and walking back to SJPdP from Finisterre in winter (December) I have used a Euroschirm handsfree hiking brolly. It was never once defeated by the wind! It is designed for wind I think in its shape, plus you can angle it so the wind does not catch underneath. I must say this surprised me when I first started using it!

Davey

coucou Davey [we chatted last week re ur fab GR65 blog] am enjoying this thread and finding rather helpful ... which Euroschirm hands-free brolly do you have? and where did you get it? I am narrowing down my search to those most feted ... thanks in advance ...

I'm not Davey, but I have the Euroschrim Telescope Handsfree model. It does weigh a tiny bit more than the non telescoping version, but the size is nice when it's collapsed. I was lucky enough to buy mine used from another forum member.
And while it was the single heaviest thing in my pack, it was invaluable on the Meseta for the shade that it provided.

coucou Davey [we chatted last week re ur fab GR65 blog] am enjoying this thread and finding rather helpful ... which Euroschirm hands-free brolly do you have? and where did you get it? I am narrowing down my search to those most feted ... thanks in advance ...

Hi Black Rocker, the Euroschirm hands free hiking umbrella is sold from Ivar here on this site. He sells the silver coated one, which is the best one as it also gives UV protection too. I am now on my second one! Only one downfall of the brolly is (like all brollies) they don't like trees much!

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...la/products/swing-handsfree-trekking-umbrella

Davey

Bonjour Trecile! I have been reading many/most of your posts on trekking umbrellas and finding them very smart and very helpful ... it seems there are a good number of people who swear by them ... I want one for the Le Puy route in the northern autumn [starting out around 1 September] ... I have a poncho, which I like very much, but found that on rainy days, and in particular the windy, rainy days, the rain created probs with my glasses ... it was tiresome having to take them off all the time to clear the lenses ... am also interested in trying an umbrella for sun protection on those stinking-hot days when out on the path in exposed areas with no shade ... and a damn long way to the end of the stage ... buen camino 2017

Hi Black Rocker, the Euroschirm hands free hiking umbrella is sold from Ivar here on this site. He sells the silver coated one, which is the best one as it also gives UV protection too. I am now on my second one! Only one downfall of the brolly is (like all brollies) they don't like trees much!

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...la/products/swing-handsfree-trekking-umbrella

Davey
g’day Davey ... not planning on arguing with or climbing any trees ... if it comes to pass that one is in the way during a rainy spell, guess i will just shut the brolly down and take cover appreciate all the comments on this topic ... very helpful

g’day Davey ... not planning on arguing with or climbing any trees ... if it comes to pass that one is in the way during a rainy spell, guess i will just shut the brolly down and take cover appreciate all the comments on this topic ... very helpful

Lol! It is just that sometimes the track is very narrow and brolly wont fit between trees, if you forget then the brolly can get snagged and rip. My first one is covered in strips of gaffer tape because of this!

Davey.

!!! i know exactly what you are saying ... the path can be very narrow in places ... just have to walk mindfully I guess

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
!!! i know exactly what you are saying ... the path can be very narrow in places ... just have to walk mindfully I guess

Other problem. I have nearly taken out a few bicycles too. I hear the bike coming up from behind and turn around to see them. Guy on bike has already decided on which way to pass me. Brolly is attached to one side of my pack, but when I turn around it is now on the other side! Whoops!

Davey

I have nearly taken out a few bicycles too. I hear the bike coming up from behind and turn around to see them. Guy on bike has already decided on which way to pass me. Brolly is attached to one side of my pack, but when I turn around it is now on the other side! Whoops!

Davey
Double HAR!
haha!

I'd say not -- but that's really just for the weight concerns. Taking an umbrella just for the rain would be silly, but a combo parasol/umbrella version does have a certain elegance to it.

I'd say not -- but that's really just for the weight concerns. Taking an umbrella just for the rain would be silly, but a combo parasol/umbrella version does have a certain elegance to it.

Mine is UV too, and I would not walk without it.
Plus for rain, I can have lunch/break/rest/cigarette in a storm anywhere (I take a piece of bubble wrap to sit on when it is wet. Priceless!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.