• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Umbrellas

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018 Camino Frances and March Coastal Portugues
I am wondering about buying an ultralight umbrella as sun protection. I’d appreciate recommendations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To take one or not, or a specific brand?
If you are walking in the sun, I'd say take one.
I reckon Brand is not that important.
I use a Euroschirm, but I'm sure a $5 umbrella would do basically the same job!.

You can buy simple clips to make it hands free. Like THESE

Last edited:
I love an umbrella winter or summer on the camino - but I have cheap ones. Even a cheap uv one for summer- it makes such a difference on hot days with sun beating down. I have worked out a way to rig it up to my rucksack.
There are fancy hiking umbrellas with proper systems to connect them to your pack.
But which ever way you go in choosing a fancy hiking umbrella or a cheap folding one, an umbrella is a great piece of kit!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a Euroschirm with clips. I’ve just finished the Ruta Teresiana from Avila to Salamanca and I’ve loved it. It’s worth the weight for me to keep the sun off.
I also have the Euroschirm. In fact I just bought a new one from @ivar when I was in Santiago in June. I bought the first one used, and got a lot of use out if it myself, but it was starting to show its age, so I took advantage not having to pay shipping on the new one.

They are available in the Forum store

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I too have the Euroschirm, but this year I didn't bring it as I think it is much too heavy. Instead i brought this one which is lightweight and packs very small. I didn't have much opportunity to use it though as i only had a few light showers during 34 days of walking :)

I’m currently using a Gossamer Gear with hands-free clips and love it. I sunburn easily and it’s extra protection. Definitely worth the 6 ounces.

I carried a relatively expensive sun umbrella on the CF this past spring. I was planning on just buying a cheap one along the way, but was given the expensive one as a gift. I used it 3 or 4 times for rain, and 2 or 3 times for sun. Whether cheap of expensive I'd recommend an umbrella.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am wondering about buying an ultralight umbrella as sun protection. I’d appreciate recommendations.
I used a very small one on the meseta and other places when it was very hot. I can’t tell you the exact make as I have a cat on my knee and can’t get up, it only weighs 8g though. I had a lot of people comment that they wished they’d thought of that, but then one day after it had drizzled a bit, I had two separate men shout at me in a language I couldn’t understand and the meaning was clear , that I should take the umbrella down. It was very sunny by then, they’ve obviously never heard of a parasol and seemed superstitious re it being up. Och weel , as my mother says.

I bring a cheap umbrella every year and it comes in handy occasionally, mostly in drizzle or light rain when I don't really need to bother getting out my rain jacket. I mostly walk in spring so rarely have needed it for sun.

Truck backlash has destroyed two of my umbrellas.

I now carry a Davek which is far more sturdy.

I like the look of the clips, but haven't used them myself yet. I secure the umbrella handle under the chest strap of my pack which has worked so far. I suspect the clips will be better.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also have the Euroschirm. In fact I just bought a new one from @ivar when I was in Santiago in June. I bought the first one used, and got a lot of use out if it myself, but it was starting to show its age, so I took advantage not having to pay shipping on the new one.

They are available in the Forum store

Hi Trecile, I bought the same Euroschirm telescoping umbrella for my upcoming April CF from SJPDP. However it's heavier than I thought - must've mixed up the weight with another model - it's close to 400 grams. Because of that I'm not sure if I'm going to take it or not. Can you share your experiences with it? Is it worth it for the weight? Thanks for any advice you can provide. 👍

Hi Trecile, I bought the same Euroschirm telescoping umbrella for my upcoming April CF from SJPDP. However it's heavier than I thought - must've mixed up the weight with another model - it's close to 400 grams. Because of that I'm not sure if I'm going to take it or not. Can you share your experiences with it? Is it worth it for the weight? Thanks for any advice you can provide. 👍
When I first got mine I thought that it might be too heavy, but for me, the weight is worth it, especially for the sun.
I know that many people use much lighter umbrellas, but I've never been able to rig one up to feel as secure and stable.
In fact I did take the lightest weight Euroschirm umbrella (less than half the weight of the hands free model), and two of the ribs snapped on a slightly windy day.

When I first got mine I thought that it might be too heavy, but for me, the weight is worth it, especially for the sun.
I know that many people use much lighter umbrellas, but I've never been able to rig one up to feel as secure and stable.
In fact I did take the lightest weight Euroschirm umbrella (less than half the weight of the hands free model), and two of the ribs snapped on a slightly windy day.
Hmmmm... I was thinking of using it as protection from sun as much as rain, but because I'm walking April/May I'm assuming I won't be subject to super hot days (yes, I know what they say about assuming things 😏😆). Would obviously be good for rain, but if it won't necessarily be multi-use I'm thinking maybe I'll just take good rain gear. If I was walking during the hottest part of the summer I think I'd be more likely to bring it...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmmmm... I was thinking of using it as protection from sun as much as rain, but because I'm walking April/May I'm assuming I won't be subject to super hot days (yes, I know what they say about assuming things 😏😆). Would obviously be good for rain, but if it won't necessarily be multi-use I'm thinking maybe I'll just take good rain gear. If I was walking during the hottest part of the summer I think I'd be more likely to bring it...
Don’t assume we were on the Frances in May and it was in the high 80s one day the next day it was in the 50s you never know.

I like to bring an umbrella ☂

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.