• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urban growth around the Santiago cathedral - detailed history

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Just came across an interesting article on the history of the cathedral and its surroundings. A detailed description of changes over time since the founding of the cathedral and how local conditions shaped the later plan of buildings and plazas.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This looks so interesting. I look forward to reading it, just as soon as I figure out how to work Google Translate.
I use Google Chrome as my browser. It handles translations automatically and usually does a decent job with Spanish and Galego. Not perfect but intelligible. Almost miraculous to watch it make passable English from a page of text in Japanese!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use Google Chrome as my browser. It handles translations automatically and usually does a decent job with Spanish and Galego. Not perfect but intelligible. Almost miraculous to watch it make passable English from a page of text in Japanese!
It worked! Thank you so much! Now I’ll have a good read; of that, and a bunch of other stuff. 😊😊

It worked! Thank you so much! Now I’ll have a good read; of that, and a bunch of other stuff. 😊😊
Glad to hear it :) It really is an extraordinarily powerful tool. I regularly read articles posted on Japanese websites, Spanish and Portuguese news articles, and the occasional exotic thing from places like Lithuania. The translations are not perfect - or at least they sometimes appear quite clunky in English to the ignorant monoglot reader like myself. But they are usually good enough to carry the meaning and that will do for me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another useful article from the same source today. This time focussed on the Romanesque period of the cathedral in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.