• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urgent advice on Camino needed ❤️🙏🤓

titta91

Time of past OR future Camino
Last 100km (9-16 Feb 2020)
Hello team! :)

I'll be starting a new demanding job soon, and just realized I'll have only the next week off, which I'd love to do the last 100km of the Camino (walking, by myself).

I have a very limited time, and would need to leave this Saturday (in 3 days!), so I would very much appreciate a quick reply from you all 🙂🙏

The time I have is (Feb 8-16), and I'd take these flights below:
- Saturday arrival 8 Feb at night
- return on Friday 16 Feb in the afternoon

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 11.57.19.png

I have read that it would be possible to make the last 100km of the French Way from Palacio del Rey.

My questions to you are:
- Is it a good idea to make the road in February? Will it be very cold?
- If it is not a good idea, could you recommend other hiking options in Spain?
- Will other pilgrims be there? And the hostels open?
- What would be the best path during this period of the year? I've heard Palacio del Rey is good
- What should I be booking (is there an agency or hostel I need to book)?
- What equipment would I have to take with me along the way?

Thank you so very much for your help.

Big hug to all the community,
Matteo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are not hoardes in February, but there will still be pilgrims. We have a few winter walking experts here, like @mspath. If she doesn't see your thread to reply, someone surely will.
I have no idea where you're asking about unless it's. Palas de Rei, which is too close; Sarria is a bit more than 100km from Santiago, and where most people start if they are walking that distance.
Buen camino, Matteo!

I'll be starting a new demanding job soon, and just realized I'll have only the next week off, which I'd love to do the last 100km of the Camino (walking, by myself).

I have a very limited time, and would need to leave this Saturday (in 3 days!), so I would very much appreciate a quick reply from you all 🙂🙏

The time I have is (Feb 8-16), and I'd take these flights below:
- Saturday arrival 8 Feb at night
- return on Friday 16 Feb in the afternoon

View attachment 69339

I have read that it would be possible to make the last 100km of the French Way from Palacio del Rey.

My questions to you are:
- Is it a good idea to make the road in February? Will it be very cold?
- If it is not a good idea, could you recommend other hiking options in Spain?
- What would be the best path during this period of the year? I've heard Palacio del Rey is good

Thank you so very much for your help.

Big hug to all the community,
Matteo

Hi Matteo,
Camino is always good idea :) But if you want to walk 100 km, you must start in Sarria, Palas de Rei is ca 70km from Santiago. I don't understand your flight printscreen, sorry :(
For this time you must take few more (warm) things, because there is cold too, and good goretex shoes. Galicia is known by rainy weather... Walking in february is about quiet path, with only few pilgrims, so if it is not problem to you, it will be great time! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Matteo,
Camino is always good idea :) But if you want to walk 100 km, you must start in Sarria, Palas de Rei is ca 70km from Santiago. I don't understand your flight printscreen, sorry :(
For this time you must take few more (warm) things, because there is cold too, and good goretex shoes. Galicia is known by rainy weather... Walking in february is about quiet path, with only few pilgrims, so if it is not problem to you, it will be great time! Buen Camino!

sounds like a plan, thanks so much for the heads up! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are not hoardes in February, but there will still be pilgrims. We have a few winter walking experts here, like @mspath. If she doesn't see your thread to reply, someone surely will.
I have no idea where you're asking about unless it's. Palas de Rei, which is too close; Sarria is a bit more than 100km from Santiago, and where most people start if they are walking that distance.
Buen camino, Matteo!
Thanks a lot - will have a look at starting from Sarria for sure ;)

To get to Sarria from SDC you take a bus to Lugo first. You should be able to get a compostela starting from Lugo (or a few km further back on the Primotivo). There likely won't be as much accommodation this time of year to Melide as Sarria to Melida.

It looks like your second flight ends in Lisbon.
Indeed - unless that is just an intermediate stop. Still very expensive though. Can I suggest a couple of alternatives leaving London on Feb 8 and returning on Feb 16 that might be cheaper and more convenient? Found using kayak.co.uk. LCG is the A Coruna airport - small and easily reached by train and bus from Santiago.
1580922190925.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Matteo,

Sarria to Santiago is 5 days walking. there are a number of alternatives you could take to get there. See attached. Buen Camino

Attachments

• for forum.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 16
Indeed - unless that is just an intermediate stop. Still very expensive though. Can I suggest a couple of alternatives leaving London on Feb 8 and returning on Feb 16 that might be cheaper and more convenient? Found using kayak.co.uk. LCG is the A Coruna airport - small and easily reached by train and bus from Santiago.
View attachment 69347
thanks for suggesting, you're really kind! I am heading towards Lisbon right after the camino ;)

Cool! I love spontaneous Caminos!
I was sitting at my kitchen table one wet Welsh autumn Sunday morning. Is there any other sort? Suddenly I decided I was fed up looking at rain on the window. I had flight, transport to the airport, insurance and my first night's accommodation booked inside an hour and I was in Jerez in time for lunch on Wednesday :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was sitting at my kitchen table one wet Welsh autumn Sunday morning. Is there any other sort? Suddenly I decided I was fed up looking at rain on the window. I had flight, transport to the airport, insurance and my first night's accommodation booked inside an hour and I was in Jerez in time for lunch on Wednesday :cool:
Such a great story! Would you do it in February with rain forecast? :)

I don't understand your flight printscreen, sorry :(
Although clearly esteemed members have already touched on it, just for the sake of clarity Matteo's schedule was from London Stanton to SdC and on return from SdC to Lisbon

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would have done. In fact I would be walking right now except my wife fell over and broke her wrist a couple of weeks ago. And today we learned it is not setting properly and needs surgery - probably next week. So that's my February screwed up :( But at least I have two working hands.

I would have done. In fact I would be walking right now except my wife fell over and broke her wrist a couple of weeks ago. And today we learned it is not setting properly and needs surgery - probably next week. So that's my February screwed up :( But at least I have two working hands.
hope she gets better! :)

I think you’ll find that most of us who lurk here daily would happily do it anytime.

You need warm layers and a good rain system.

From Sarria, there will be an albergue frequently enough. There may be little to no heat, so a sleeping bag is needed. Carry some snacks during the day in case cafes are closed.

Have fun.

€149,-

I did Sarria to Santiago 18-22 January and there was about 20 pilgrims doing it at the same time. Lots of bars and albergues closed and it was over 14km to the first coffee stop each day! Albergues were only open in large towns, important to ring as some listed as being open were not. The weather was perfect for walking, as low as 2 degrees Celsius in the morning to 10+ by mid afternoon. This part of the Camino is predominately through forests and rarely too muddy. My pack was less than 6kg and that included sleeping bag and enough food/water for 6-8 hours.
¡Buen Camino!

thanks for suggesting, you're really kind! I am heading towards Lisbon right after the camino ;)

Welcome to the Forum, @titta91 ! Just a note - if you're a Harry Potter fan, the world tour of the Harry Potter exhibit is currently in...Lisbon!! We went to see it recently and it was pretty neat; it contains props and costumes from the 8 Harry Potter movies. http://www.harrypotterexhibition.com/

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

Way to go Respect. I do the same: I go when I go.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know this might sound as an heresy in this group, but has anyone booked a package with an agency?

I'm currently talking with the following ones:
(1) Mundicamino
(2) Follow the camino - my favourite so far
(3) Tour radar

Do you recommend any of these ones or any other ones?

Thanks a lot team!

€149,-
I know this might sound as an heresy in this group, but has anyone booked a package with an agency?
Never used one myself. If you are happy staying in albergues rather than private rooms then an agency is probably not much use anyway. The Xunta albergues in Galicia are open all year round and do not take reservations - first come, first served. Unlikely to fill up in mid-February. There are enough of them in the last 100km to make it very straightforward.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back