• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

USB Camera Charging?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello I have a really off camino question... but...

I'm toying with the idea taking a camara with me on my next camino, in addition to my phone. I wonder if any techie folks out there can help me with a questions about charging?

I'm looking at either a Olympus TG-4 or a Panasonic Tough Lumix; both have a USB cable option.

Does this mean that I could use the USB cable to plug the camera into my phone whilst the phone was charging... and charge the camera battery at the same time as the phone? Or does this simply mean I can connect to the data on the camera?

Thanks in advance :oops:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a TG-4. I can connect to the phone, or to any standard AC/USB charger, but not to both at the same time. The phone is not capable of charging the camera, which I suspect is the case with the Lumix as well.

The only annoyance I have with the TG4 is that it uses a proprietary USB port on the camera, instead of a micro-USB, which means I have to carry one extra cable with me.

I too have the TG-4, which I am bringing. I find a camera phone clumsy. I debated taking my external battery charger, but decided on the cable instead to save weight. At least it will plug into my [/B], along with my phone or tablet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too have the TG-4, which I am bringing. I find a camera phone clumsy. I debated taking my external battery charger, but decided on the cable instead to save weight. At least it will plug into my [/B], along with my phone or tablet.

Hi Seabird, excuse my ignorance but do I need to buy an adaptor (to plug into the power point in Spain) to go with this charger ? All I am taking is my IPHONE and I need to purchase correct power socket/adaptor to be able to charge it.
Thank you !
Julie

Does this mean that I could use the USB cable to plug the camera into my phone whilst the phone was charging... and charge the camera battery at the same time as the phone? Or does this simply mean I can connect to the data on the camera?

I love to have the tail wag the dog. In the mode of keeping things simple (but not simpler) I've chosen a phone that uses the same micro-USB connector as my (Android) phone and (Android) tablet. End result: one generic cost effective charging system. (How to re-charge more than one device at a time, efficiently, via USB needs a doctoral thesis in electrical engineering, at least.)

Getting stuff (photos) off the computer is another black art altogether. For the incantations see:
caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/yes-you-need-another-cable-for-your-electronics-usb-otg-cable.38914/

Hi Seabird, excuse my ignorance but do I need to buy an adaptor (to plug into the power point in Spain) to go with this charger ? All I am taking is my IPHONE and I need to purchase correct power socket/adaptor to be able to charge it.
Thank you !
Julie

Get yourself a multi port EU USB charger on eBay, very inexpensive. More ports are better if there are a shortage of outlets and you can share the other ports with your fellow pilgrims.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5V-1-2-3...hash=item2eec51d892:m:mkn8Ot4aFGs-Pm5NqxWpA6w

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You fabulous pilgrims... Thank you! I knew someone (or 5) would bring me a solution. :D

Hello I have a really off camino question... but...

I'm toying with the idea taking a camara with me on my next camino, in addition to my phone. I wonder if any techie folks out there can help me with a questions about charging?

I'm looking at either a Olympus TG-4 or a Panasonic Tough Lumix; both have a USB cable option.

Does this mean that I could use the USB cable to plug the camera into my phone whilst the phone was charging... and charge the camera battery at the same time as the phone?Or does this simply mean I can connect to the data on the camera?

Thanks in advance :oops:

Don't automatically assume that your camera will charge by USB - the one I purchased few weeks ago (Fuji X100, Gen. 1) does not charge by its USB port, so have to bring external battery charger.

Janice

Get yourself a multi port EU USB charger on eBay, very inexpensive.

Inexpensive = True - Efficient = False

These USB chargers typically only allow 1 amp of current to be drawn.

While that will do most phones (who has more than one phone?) it will not do at all well for many cameras and only very slowly for 10" tablets.

The waiting around (for an hour or so) is OK if you have the time to be close to your gear.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don't automatically assume that your camera will charge by USB

@MaidinBham, at the risk of being thought churlishly curt (not my intention), asking about USB charging is just the same as asking about any other feature of the device that interests you.

I know this because I made the same mistake and overlooked asking about two features that were important to me. I only found out after I had got home that neither feature was actually present. And as it was a 20% off sale ....

I have just ordered one

May I ask a favour?

When you have this device; and when you have your tablet's battery, say, 70% full,
then put that and a phone or camera on charge at the same time.

Then please tell us all how long it took fully recharge the tablet.

And things such as the output per USB port and any thing else you think is relevant.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@MaidinBham, at the risk of being thought churlishly curt (not my intention), asking about USB charging is just the same as asking about any other feature of the device that interests you.

I know this because I made the same mistake and overlooked asking about two features that were important to me. I only found out after I had got home that neither feature was actually present. And as it was a 20% off sale ....

Yes, I know what you mean - ended up with a camera without wifi or internal charging. But I love my camera and also got a good price. Although I do suspect that often, added technology, can just cause more things to go wrong with the device. And now I have to go sort out my millions of cable's and charger's..............

Janice

Inexpensive = True - Efficient = False

These USB chargers typically only allow 1 amp of current to be drawn.

While that will do most phones (who has more than one phone?) it will not do at all well for many cameras and only very slowly for 10" tablets.

The waiting around (for an hour or so) is OK if you have the time to be close to your gear.

If you're trying to charge up a tablet, thats another story, get yourself something like the 10w or 12w iPad charger that charges at 2.1amps or higher

Thank you !
Julie
Hi Julie, I saw that @Bajaracer already answered your question. I am bringing an adapter to use with my dual USB port rather than getting a Euro-specific USB.

May I ask a favour?

When you have this device; and when you have your tablet's battery, say, 70% full,
then put that and a phone or camera on charge at the same time.

Then please tell us all how long it took fully recharge the tablet.

And things such as the output per USB port and any thing else you think is relevant.
@AlwynWellington -- I tried out both my phone and tablet on my dual USB, since I know two devices can slow down charging. I was really pleased with how quickly they charged . They were both under 50% when I started. I kept notes at the time but now longer have the specific numbers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.