• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Valcarlos>Roncesvalles - any off from the road?

Sarah80

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk july 15
Back in summer I walked this route and this stretch was 90% on a long winding upwards road. I've watched vlogs of others doing this path and I've seen them in woods so I'm guessing there are earlier paths that do hook up with the Napoleon route earlier than I did which was about 1km from Roncesvalles next to a big barn looking building on the left (ibaneta)?

Where can you come off on this road to walk in nature instead of along the road? I'll be there on Saturday walking this stretch and don't fancy the Tarmac again.

Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Sarah, just after Valcarlos the trail leaves the road on your left and plunges down to a ravine then back up again. This is to avoid a long turn in the road, if my memory serves me right this happens twice. The path can be very muddy and is hard going on the way back up. My advice for what its worth would be to stay on the main road, its a little longer but a lot easier.
Wishing you a Happy New Year and a safe and Buen Camino.

A good English description of the Valcarlos alternate is this in the Navarre website http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/p...on-practica/etapas/etapa-1-camino-frances.htm.

When in SJPdP pick up a free copy of the map sheet showing the alternate route with photos of the important turns into the woods

Once in Navarre the road N135 borders the alternate. In inclement weather ie rain, fog or snow it is much safer to walk on the left verges of the road than to follow the alternate path into the woods.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2010, I recall the major stretch of road was a stretch of the N135 after Valcarlos. I don't recall it all being on the road, but major parts of the stretch were. It is about six km from Valcarlos before the path leaves the road and you walk in forest for the rest of the time to Roncesvalles. When I walked, the way marking was pretty good for the point where the camino leaves the road (but that just means that it wasn't a marker that I missed seeing!).

The weather in Northern Spain seems to have just taken a tun for the worse with rain forecast for each of the first 6 days.

In this case, looks like the road is the best bet.

I hope that forecast is out, I had a couple of days rain in Galicia that were pretty miserable mostly because I could never get my clothes properly dry (dryers on the albergue never seem to get anything truly dry!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back