Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

VDLP April 2017 - heat & shoes

Discussion in 'Via de la Plata' started by SioCamino, Apr 18, 2017.

1. SioCamino

SioCamino New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF April/May(2015), CF Sept (2015), CP June (2016), VDLP April/May (2017)
    Hi, I'm due to start walking from Sevilla this weekend. I was expecting that the weather would be pretty warm but it looks pretty hot just now. So I am seeking advice from pilgrims on the road just now or who have walked in similar temps regarding suitable footwear. I had planned on wearing my salomon hiking shoes but they are gore-tex - so I am worried that my feet will just cook in them. Appreciate any feedback on goretex shoes in such weather and also whether runners would be suitable for the terrain. Only walking to Caceres this time so only on the VDLP for 10-12 days or so. Many thanks in advance.

2. domigee

domigee Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    St J pd Port to SdC 2012, 2013, 2016
    Finisterre and Muxia 2012, 2016
    VdlP 2015 Mérida to SdC
    Home to Jerusalem 2014
    Home to Walsingham April 2017
    VF Besançon to Rome Summer 2017?
    Hi Siocamino,
    I walked from Merida to Santiago in June/July and it was pretty hot!
    I wore those shoes and I think they are Gore-tex...
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/meindl-womens-x-so-70-mid-gtx-boot-b2134117?id_colour=122
    I was absolutely fine but of course choice of shoes is very subjective....
    I also walked at other times in hot weather with a pair of Salomons, again, no probs....

The choice of socks also matters: a 'Summer weight' sock rather than thick Winter ones...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    FLEUR likes this.
  3. SioCamino

SioCamino New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks. Hopefully they'll be ok - i guess at worst I'll just have to take them off at every break! I bought some good summer socks for last year's camino and they were fab - make a huge difference. I think I'm probably just fretting as its getting closer .... :)

4. norelle

norelle Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
    I walked the Primitivo in June/July 2015 and some days were very warm! I was wearing Salomon gore-tex mid-boots (which had been great for a March camino!!).

My feet did get very warm but, like you just said - I took them off whenever I could and some days changed my socks halfway through. You are an experienced pilgrim so I'm sure you'll be ok as you know how important it is to look after your feet!

buen camino

SioCamino likes this.
  5. Anemone del Camino

Anemone del Camino Anemone

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    Just got home from VDLP, wearing my Gortex Salomons without any hint of an issue. I would be a lot more concerned about shade for the upper body. Could not have walked past 1pm without my silver umbrella.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    SioCamino, Donna Sch and norelle like this.
  6. Donna Sch

Donna Sch Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Via De La Plata - Sanabres - Finisterre ( June/July 2015); OTWPerth 2016
    Future Caminos? Zamora-Astorga-Camino Invierno - SDC (Feb 2019); CF (Summer 2020)
    Make sure you have plenty of socks if you have waterproof shoes. The trend towards waterproofing everything gets really annoying when you have to consider hiking in hot weather.

7. koknesis

koknesis Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances June/July 2014
    Camino Aragones August 2015
    Camino Sanabres (Ourense-SdC) August 2015
    VdlP 2017
    I believe it is pretty individual and depending on particular features of the body thermoregulation, and how long distances you plan to walk daily. however, the obvious choice for trekking in summer are non-waterproof boots, just because they will be more practical and deliver more comfort.
    the terrain on all Spanish caminos in summer does not require anything more than runners, imho. in relation with this my dilemma right now is which ones - trail or road runners. at the moment I start to lean more towards road running shoes, since it looks to me that the surface on VdlP pretty smooth and firm.
    and of course I will carry a pair of lightweight sandals for the super-hot days and in order to keep a proper style in the evening :)

SioCamino likes this.
  8. debi b

debi b New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francais 2007, 2013. Aragon 2013. Northern route (part) 2013. Goal: All!
    I began with heavy boots and bought Solomons inMerida and mailed my heavy boots forward to Santiago. However, walking shoes would be even better, and fine for the terrain. Keep in mind the weight of your pack and your body. The more pressure on your feet, the more support you will need. Pack light and give yourself some freedom!

9. Anemone del Camino

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances from 2006 to 2013. Camino del Norte from Donostia to Llanes - 2014. May 2015: Primitivo. May 2016: Portuguese central + variante espiritual. April 2017: half of VDLP.
    How are Salomons not walking shoes? I wear these and consider them walking shoes, or trail runners.

http://www.salomon.com/cafr/product/x-ultra-2-w.html?article=371641

10. SioCamino

SioCamino New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Packing light for sure as i think I will need to carry even more water than usual if it's that hot!

11. SioCamino

SioCamino New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks for all the replies and tips, much appreciated. Buen camino all.

12. Anemone del Camino

Camino(s) past & future:
    I carried 3 liters during the last 3 weeks. Lack of water sources makes VDLP challenging in hot temps. But it is so beautiful.

13. Donna Sch

Donna Sch Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Via De La Plata - Sanabres - Finisterre ( June/July 2015); OTWPerth 2016
    Future Caminos? Zamora-Astorga-Camino Invierno - SDC (Feb 2019); CF (Summer 2020)
    That Salomon model is technically a hiking shoe but it is probably the closest thing to a trailrunner in its class. These tend to be much more rigid in the sole made with sturdier uppers.
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Shoes-Reviews/Salomon-X-Ultra-Low-II-GTX . These weigh 950g where trail runners are MUCH lighter and have less protection and more sensitivity ie less cushioning. The popular ultrarunning Salomon is the Speedcross which is 285g. They are nowhere as durable.

14. Anemone del Camino

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thank you for explaining the difference. I always called Salomon Ultra 2 type shoes a trail runner.

15. Patrice Reed

Patrice Reed New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    April (2017)
    I am here on Camino now, its been hot. My feet were too hot in Merrills and wool socks. I bought new cooler summer trail shoes, thinner synthetic runners socks and air flow inserts. I also chucked the foot glide and using foot powder. All good now, but the heat on the Meseta is intense after 2pm.