• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VdlP in February?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016
Hi all, would love to hear comments about possibly doing the VdlP in Feb next year. I'd be interested to know whether Winter/Spring walkers found it difficult to find accommodation.

Also, I wrote to S.Yates a couple of years ago after she did the VdlP (again?) and asked whether it was possible to do it without doing 30km+ days. I seem to recall she said yes. I'm more a 18-25km/day walker. What are people's thoughts about this 2 years on?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all, would love to hear comments about possibly doing the VdlP in Feb next year. I'd be interested to know whether Winter/Spring walkers found it difficult to find accommodation.

Also, I wrote to S.Yates a couple of years ago after she did the VdlP (again?) and asked whether it was possible to do it without doing 30km+ days. I seem to recall she said yes. I'm more a 18-25km/day walker. What are people's thoughts about this 2 years on?

Hi Sue,

I did the VdlP last year. Although my daily distances are a bit longer than what you prefer, I took a quick look. It's possible to walk from Seville to Astorga (assuming you want to do the VdlP and not the Via Sanabres) in 37 days with a daily average of 20 km. As far as I can see, there would be 3 days of 25+ km: 2 of almost 29 km (from Castilblanco de los Arroyos to Almadén de la Plata & from Fuenterroble de Salvatierra to San Pedro de Rosados) and 1 of 33 km (from Carcaboso to Hostal Asturias). It also includes a couple of really short daily distances (11 km), to avoid longer ones.

Hope this helps. Although it's worth checking out some of the VdlP-apps: new albergues are being opened all the time.

Hello Sue,
I've no personal experience, but I did follow a blog two years ago of a couple in their early 60's who walked it February into early March. They seemed to manage quite well although it was rather chilly at times. I remember they were often wearing warm hats and puff coats in their photos. I recall they camped out a few times under a tarp, but don't recall why. That's all I know.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was on the VDLP in February/March of 2018 and I experienced some Albergue closures but if you have some extra euros you can usually find a hotel or B and B somewhere, just plan ahead. The real problem we had was extreme torrential rain which is apparently common at that time of year. It was simply raining all the time and everyone got soaked whether you had Gore-Tex head to toe or not. It was quite depressing and more than one person abandoned. If you go, I would opt for quick drying clothing and non-waterproof running shoes that drain well. Gore-Tex type membranes don't drain at all. And bring a dry set of clothing to sleep in at night.

I was on the VDLP in February/March of 2018 and I experienced some Albergue closures but if you have some extra euros you can usually find a hotel or B and B somewhere, just plan ahead. The real problem we had was extreme torrential rain which is apparently common at that time of year. It was simply raining all the time and everyone got soaked whether you had Gore-Tex head to toe or not. It was quite depressing and more than one person abandoned. If you go, I would opt for quick drying clothing and non-waterproof running shoes that drain well. Gore-Tex type membranes don't drain at all. And bring a dry set of clothing to sleep in at night.

I walked the Norte exactly that same time in 2018 and it rained 80% of the days vs this past spring was quite dry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started 1st March just gone and had more or less perfect weather. Think it is just the luck of the draw with the weather. I probably would have liked walking in February too as it was pretty hot in March this year.

It definitely got colder as I went north but not so much that it was unpleasant. Needed gloves in the morning and had some snow on the Sanabres but very good walking weather on the whole.
Megg

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's heartening to hear there has been varied weather. I don't mind rain but know how disheartening it can be when it is ALL the time. I'm also playing with the idea of walking the Camino Mozarabe (from either Granada, one of my fave places in Spain or from Almeira and either joining the VDLP or finishing when I reach it. So if anyone has great thoughts on that, happy to hear those as well.
Cheers.
Sue

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's heartening to hear there has been varied weather. I don't mind rain but know how disheartening it can be when it is ALL the time. I'm also playing with the idea of walking the Camino Mozarabe (from either Granada, one of my fave places in Spain or from Almeira and either joining the VDLP or finishing when I reach it. So if anyone has great thoughts on that, happy to hear those as well.
Cheers.
Sue

Take a look at these 2 websites for more information about the Mozárabe from either Almería or Granada:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take a look at these 2 websites for more information about the Mozárabe from either Almería or Granada:

Thank you so much! Much better info than I had otherwise found. Feeling happy now. Was about to toss it all in thinking it was all a bit hard for me to do solo next Feb. But maybe I will now! Muchas gracias!

We are walking the Via de la Plata January through March 2020. It's very hard to find definitive answers about albergue closures/openings or weather. We are grabbing bits and pieces of info from everywhere and are trying to make it into a cohesive picture of what it will be like. In other words...we are just going to do it. Buen Camino and good fortune in finding the info you need ! :D

I started 1st March just gone and had more or less perfect weather. Think it is just the luck of the draw with the weather. I probably would have liked walking in February too as it was pretty hot in March this year.

It definitely got colder as I went north but not so much that it was unpleasant. Needed gloves in the morning and had some snow on the Sanabres but very good walking weather on the whole.
Megg

Hi, I too started on the 1st March but in my case from Pamplona on the Frances.
Anyone want to buy a full length raincoat and overtrousers??? neither of which were worn for the entire Camino.
Day after day of perfect weather.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I too started on the 1st March but in my case from Pamplona on the Frances.
Anyone want to buy a full length raincoat and overtrousers??? neither of which were worn for the entire Camino.
Day after day of perfect weather.

I am interested in previous remarks ref "tarping". any leads on that? Thankee, the malingerer.

Buen Camino.

Hi @malingerer,

'Tarp' is an abbreviation for 'Tarpaulin' which is a waterproof material used in the UK (and elsewhere) as protection from the elements. Its usually associated with the haulage industry of old but has been superceded by modern transport methods and vehicles.
Tarps can be bought in many sizes starting at around 3 x 2 mtrs and with eyelets in the corners can be used, tied between say trees or even a wall to provide shelter out in the wilds.
Modern fabrics mean that a small tarp would weigh very little and could be a good thing to pack when journeying across country uninhabited by villages containing albergues.

Hope this helps.

I walked the Norte exactly that same time in 2018 and it rained 80% of the days vs this past spring was quite dry.
Was the Norte seriously windy too? I thought it might be damned miserable that time of year. Another question - were there other pilgrims doing it then too? I don't mind some solitude but find the company of other pilgrims a major part of the enjoyment of a camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back