• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VDLP

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Off from Sevilla on October 14. I know someone leaving the 16th. Maybe I will see one or two of you between Sevilla and Muxia. Should I bring my crappy old little sleeping bag or just bring a sleep sack and if it gets cold bundle up and then get a new little sleeping bag in Salamanca or Zamora??? Oh the plight of the modern pilgrim ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m cold in all of my clothes and sleeping bag rated for sleeping outdoors in snow. This is never a question for me 🙂

Off from Sevilla on October 14. I know someone leaving the 16th. Maybe I will see one or two of you between Sevilla and Muxia. Should I bring my crappy old little sleeping bag or just bring a sleep sack and if it gets cold bundle up and then get a new little sleeping bag in Salamanca or Zamora??? Oh the plight of the modern pilgrim ;)
Or: put hot water in a water bottle (or into your water bladder) and put it inside your sleep sack. I did that on my very very rainy and cold CP in 2019.
Field researchers often do this — boil the water, let it cool to a safe heat, put it in the bottle. Sleep with the bottle. Use the still warm contents in the morning to cook instant oats, or make tea, or brush teeth etc.
Very efficient, and much like having a personal radiator.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Or: put hot water in a water bottle (or into your water bladder) and put it inside your sleep sack. I did that on my very very rainy and cold CP in 2019.
Field researchers often do this — boil the water, let it cool to a safe heat, put it in the bottle. Sleep with the bottle. Use the still warm contents in the morning to cook instant oats, or make tea, or brush teeth etc.
Very efficient, and much like having a personal radiator.
I am going to try that when it is cold with my Nalgene plastic water bottle. ;) ;) ;)

I started 2 October. Lots of hot days to start with. After we went up onto the high plateau (after Banos, around 2 weeks in) the nights were really cold, often down around freezing. I'd say - in a normal year, and staying in municipals that I would definitely take a sleeping bag. But in this COVID year it looks like you'll have to stay in private places (almost?) exclusively - and they tend to want to look after their guests with things like heating. In which case you could justifiably leave home without the sleeping bag and review the situation when you get to Salamanca or Zamorra.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are starting the VDLP tomorrow morning. Have just walked the Via Augusta from Cádiz….very hot!!
I could never handle that heat day after day. Buen camino be careful, wear sun screen, have a hat, have lots of water and one of those special reflective umbrellas. But I guess you already know that better then I ever could! Have fun and be safe.

I am going to try that when it is cold with my Nalgene plastic water bottle. ;) ;) ;)
Just don’t *overheat* it… I have a colleague who gave herself a blistering burn on her forearm from clutching the overly hot bottle on an overly-cold night in Morocco one year. Nasty scar. Not fun to be dealing with in fieldwork (which is similar to a camino in some ways). Wrap your bottle in a t-shirt to protect against this problem if you are concerned.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The agony of decision (re sleeping bag) is too great for me, so I just bring it!
I walked the CF in September & October of 2011. While it was very hot in the beginning, I was happy to have it come October as it got cold. Not all alburgues offered blankets. I will be there in 2 days and I have my sleeping bag.

I walked VdlP without a sleepingbag but that was in May. I would never walk any camino without it in October! It will be cold when you get further north!

Oh my i walked the Via Augusta in early March and it was warm (and pretty boring). VDLP hopefully February 2022.
Hello! Are you still planning on vdlp in February 2022?
I’m wondering if I’m going to run into anyone else at all…
My plan currently is to begin in Salamanca.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! Are you still planning on vdlp in February 2022?
I’m wondering if I’m going to run into anyone else at all…
My plan currently is to begin in Salamanca.
Hi I’m not yet decided. Half way through the Portuguese (Lisbon start) tore my calf muscle before Porto so resting up to heal it hoping to to finish the portuguese and see what next.

Hi I’m not yet decided. Half way through the Portuguese (Lisbon start) tore my calf muscle before Porto so resting up to heal it hoping to to finish the portuguese and see what next.
Oh no! That sounds painful! Please take all the time to heal and rest. I hope you regain the muscle and strength to continue on soon! (I also hope you’re resting in a lovely town ;)
Thanks for the reply and I wish you the best. Feel free to message me if you do end up walking around that time. Im nervous!

Oh no! That sounds painful! Please take all the time to heal and rest. I hope you regain the muscle and strength to continue on soon! (I also hope you’re resting in a lovely town ;)
Thanks for the reply and I wish you the best. Feel free to message me if you do end up walking around that time. Im nervous!
Will do! I’d be starting February.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back