• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Veggie options on Camino Inglés

dcas

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Hi!

I'm David and I'll be walking the Camino Inglés in a few weeks time. I just wanted some feedback from vegetarians as to how easy/ hard it is to eat in cafes and restaurants whilst avoiding meat

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!

I'm David and I'll be walking the Camino Ingles in a few weeks time. I just wanted some feedback from vegetarians as to how easy/ hard it is to eat in cafes and restaurants whilst avoiding meat
Hello, I’m David as well!

I’m not veggie, but I don’t eat a great deal of meat.

Life for vegetarians and vegans in Spain and Portugal has (IMHO) improved significantly in the last decade. Whilst sometimes the vegetarian option might be ‘the only option, but without the meat’ you’ll often find a range of suitable choices.
Last year in Spain and more recently in Portugal I was struck by the number of places offering vegan alternatives; so you can double that for veggie.

The only word of caution I’d add is that ‘una ensalada mixta’ will often come with a sprinkling of tuna (more as a seasoning than anything else) - so ‘ ensalada mixta sin atún’ is a phrase to memorise.

(I used to have a factory in Scotland where, on eating in the canteen the ‘menu del dia’ was often a ‘mince round’ (a plate pie of minced something). On asking for the veggie alternative and after some consultation with the cook I was told that ‘we can cut one in half if you like’. )

Thanks David
I have had meat when the alternative is to go hungry so i might tolerate the odd bit tuna

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!

I'm David and I'll be walking the Camino Inglés in a few weeks time. I just wanted some feedback from vegetarians as to how easy/ hard it is to eat in cafes and restaurants whilst avoiding meat
Hi David yes I’m off on another camino later in April and usually vegan but I eat eggs on the camino to make life easier.I’m also unable to eat lactose . So I eat the omlette with potato and chips and salad. I 90 per cent buy in shops, so fruit, boxed salads, olives, bread some microwave meals…. Spaghetti tomatoes etc

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There should be options available, tortilla is usually fine although I have heard that some people use lard in the making so I would check first. Many cafes will have the standard bocadillo on offer, if you ask most will have pan con tomate (bread with tomato) available as well. As others have mentioned, eggs are often available on lunch menus.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.