• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata - end of September or beginning of October

lunna

Time of past OR future Camino
frances; lisboa-muxia; norte+bayonne; vdlp; le puy; voie d'arles+aragones; geneva to ales
How will the weather be? I guess it may be rainy or chilly by the time I get up north, but I'm hoping it won't be too hot along the way.

One more question - what would be the best international airport to fly to, to get to Sevilla? Lisbon or Madrid or ... ?

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
what would be the best international airport to fly to, to get to Sevilla?

Sevilla airport is international. It all depends on where are you coming from. Madrid would be better than Lisbon if those are your only options.

How will the weather be? I guess it may be rainy or chilly by the time I get up north, but I'm hoping it won't be too hot along the way.

October can be rainy anywhere; not just in the North. However, it doesn't mean is going to rain every day as well as it doesn't (necessarily) mean is going to rain all the day although the later could happen.
October won't be too hot. It can be hot on the South if it happens to be a hot year but not too hot (you are unlikely to find temperatures over 35ºC even on isolated days). Otherwise, it's a good time of the year to walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sevilla airport is international. It all depends on where are you coming from. Madrid would be better than Lisbon if those are your only options.

October can be rainy anywhere; not just in the North. However, it doesn't mean is going to rain every day as well as it doesn't (necessarily) mean is going to rain all the day although the later could happen.
October won't be too hot. It can be hot on the South if it happens to be a hot year but not too hot (you are unlikely to find temperatures over 35ºC even on isolated days). Otherwise, it's a good time of the year to walk.
Good to hear - fingers crossed I won't get too much rain. I can handle the mid-30s, for a while, if need be (as it was when I started the Camino Portugues from Lisboa).... I can't wait- it's been both a great year and a difficult one for me, so I'm hoping for the camino 'cure.'
I flew to Sevilla via Barcelona. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks - I'm trying to use air miles from the U.S., so I may have to go through Madrid, but Lisboa looks a little bit closer ....

I'm trying to use air miles from the U.S., so I may have to go through Madrid, but Lisboa looks a little bit closer ....

Some days, Delta flies non-stop from JFK airport in New York to Málaga. I think the route is seasonal but they still make it in late September. It could be an option to research if you have miles with Delta or any other Skyteam member. Otherwise, Madrid has way better connections by public transport to Sevilla than Lisbon. Out of Madrid you can take either a train or a bus while out of Lisbon bus is the only direct option (train isn't direct and you would need to change trains and stations in Madrid; i.e.: a great detour) but there are way less buses from Lisbon to Sevilla than from Madrid to Sevilla so less choice of times. That's why I think Madrid is better (bus travel time from Madrid to Sevilla is similar to the one from Lisbon to Sevilla).

Last edited by a moderator:
Some days, Delta flies non-stop from JFK airport in New York to Málaga. I think the route is seasonal but they still make it in late September. It could be an option to research if you have miles with Delta or any other Skyteam member. Otherwise, Madrid has way better connections by public transport to Sevilla than Lisbon. Out of Madrid you can take either a train or a bus while out of Lisbon bus is the only direct option (train isn't direct and you would need to change trains and stations in Madrid; i.e.: a great detour) but there are way less buses from Lisbon to Sevilla than from Madrid to Sevilla so less choice of times. That's why I think Madrid is better (bus travel time from Madrid to Sevilla is similar to the one from Lisbon to Sevilla).

Thanks C - this is exactly the advice I needed. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey Lunna, are you starting mid Okt from Sevilla?

Hi Galuh - I'm probably going to start around the very end of Sept or the very beginning of October. (I'm going to Thailand for work and will be back in the U.S. around the 18th of September, so figure I'll need a week or two to get over the jet lag before getting over there). It was a toss-up between the Via de la Plata and the Le Puy to St. Jean hike.

Hi Lunna - 1 aug till 28 aug my wife, son and his girl friend vaccation in Ind. Lombok (Hiking the Mount Rinjani - http://rinjaninationalpark.com ) at the end West Java. Back in the Netherlands working for 3 weeks and maybe the camino shall be my next target at 18 sept till 2 okt, or starting later

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started the VdlP in middle of September last year. High eighties in Andalucía and Southern Extremadura. Some legs do not have watering opportunities between destinations and little shade so be prepared to haul all your water (3 liters is my recommendation). The north, cold, rainy and windy some days. You will need gloves and a watch cap. When you traverse the mountains in Galicia keep an eye on the weather as there are some stiff climbs you may not want to do in bad weather.

We flew into Madrid and took the AVE to Seville and walked to our hotel. The experience was good.

This may help-

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/via-de-la-plata-and-the-camino-sanabres.41690

Starting in 2nd half of September. Would it be correct to assume that (generally speaking) VdlP would be the warmest route at that time of year?

Off the top of my head I would think yes. But to validate you could look up Andalucía and Extremadura temperatures on the internet and compare it to whatever alternatives you are considering.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi folks - been away (in Africa for work) for a while - I'm flying to Madrid on October 1 and leaving myself a lot (I hope) of time to walk the Via de la Plata (I fly back to the U.S. on November 14). I read German, so that is a plus, as I have the OUTDOOR yellow guide to the Via de la Plata, although it is the August 2014 (6th edition). I also will be ordering the updated Gerald Kelly guide (I have the first edition from January 2015, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be very helpful.

So - my question is: What is the best, most up-to-date guide you all can recommend for the Via de la Plata - both in English and in German? (I plan on taking one of each along with me).

Thanks a bunch!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back