• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata Feb/March More questions

viajero

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
I posted some questions earlier about walking in Feb./March and the replies were so favorable that I think I will probably do it. I feel a little less prepared than my previous caminos but will try to get in a lot of walking before late February when I hope to begin.
1) I'm assuming I can get a credencial at the Cathedral in Sevilla. Is that right?
2) I know this truly depends on the individual but...any general comments on how long it took to complete? My understanding is that some of the stages tend to be longer than on the Frances due to the way the accomodation is spread out. I averaged about 30 km/day on the Frances but of course, that being an average, walked a few 40km days and several shorter days. I have some time contraints but could always stop and continue at a later date but I'd like to do it in one go if possible.
3) Is the route fairly well marked? I don't yet have a guidebook but will try to pick one up of, at the very least, download some pages/maps from the internet
4) I plan to walk on the via de la plata and then pick up the sanabres route (as I have already walked the Frances and woudl prefer something different than repeating the route from Astorga). Any reason why I should not continue on the Sanabres...I haven't heard much about it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Sanabres is one of the loveliest and most interesting and varied routes I have walked. I am going to walk it for the second time this year. I chose it for the same reason you did - not to repeat Astorga-SDC.

You will love it - please let us know how you found it as I won't be walking until the fall.

Buen camino!

viajero said:
I plan to walk on the via de la plata and then pick up the sanabres route (as I have already walked the Frances and woudl prefer something different than repeating the route from Astorga). Any reason why I should not continue on the Sanabres...I haven't heard much about it.
Hi Viajero,

There is a pretty comprehensive daily blog plus photos on the Sanbres route on the following pages:

Salamanca to Tabara (Sanabres starts on Day 31)
Tabara to Lubian
Lubian to Laza
Laza to Ourense
Ourense to Santiago

I've walked the Southern Variant of the route from Verin and know that area of Galicia fairly well and it is very scenic. I don't think you would regret it!

Buen Camino
Mig

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Sanabres a couple of years ago at the end of the Levante. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. There will be some stuff on my blog, including stage reports and some reporting from the Camino, especially in the posts from September- November 2009

I hope you enjoy it,

Andy

Hola!
Answers:
1) When i was in Seville people from the tourist office told me there were no credenciales in the cathedral. But I could get one in hotel Simon, which is in a street opposite of the cathedral (C/ García de Vinuesa). I liked the hotel a lot, very pilgrim friendly, so i also stayed there - they let me stay for 27 euro a night which is quite a good price for a hotel like Simon.
2) I walked from Seville to Salamanca in 17 days, and the next year from Salamanca to Santiago in 18. So 35 alltogether. I do also about 30 km a day, sometimes a 40 plus day, but had quite some 'lazy' days (20 or less) as well.
3) I did not have much problems with the waymarking; got lost 2 or 3 times, but i do that on all the routes by not paying enough attention. I had quite a good book in spanish on the first 18 days by Paco Nadal (don't know whether it is translated in english; it has kind of very helpful maps that are not real maps), but i gave it away in Salamanca to a korean guy that left his book at home. Salmanca-Santiago (the year after) I did with the very thorough yellow german guide (not translated i guess). I think you can manage without a book and some internet info, but i like to have a 'book'.
4) I did Sanabres, because i did not want to frances. Was nice - green and hilly - but the part from Seville to Salamanca I enjoyed more than this part (but that had also something to do with my mood :))
Success & fun with preparing,
ria

Hi.

I can't remember where you're from, but if it's the U.S. you can easily get a credencial before you leave from AmericanPilgrims.com. It's quick and easy.

If you walked about 30km/day on the Frances, you can do the same on the VDLP. And yes, you'll walk longer some days and shorter on others, which I feel always helps your body cope.

I walked the entire route once, and the last 109km from Ourense twice, without any guidebooks or maps. It's generally well marked, but there are definitely (and regularly) spots that may make you pause, especially if you're solo and can't ask a comrade what they think is the most likely way to go. So yeah, a guidebook is nice. Check out my app if you have an Apple device.

The Sanabres is just lovely. You will thoroughly enjoy it!

Buen Camino!

Melanie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
ria said:
Hola!
2) I walked from Seville to Salamanca in 17 days, and the next year from Salamanca to Santiago in 18. So 35 alltogether. I do also about 30 km a day, sometimes a 40 plus day, but had quite some 'lazy' days (20 or less) as well.
ria

No wonder the Sanabres was easy for you Ria - if we are speaking of the same route, i.e. the left hand turn after Salamanca that takes the pilgrim into Portugal (the extreme NE tip) and back into Spain near Lalin! I considered doing it in 06 but was scared off by reading abt the many stretches >30km between accommodation - perhaps it is better now? (So us 'lazy-day' craving folk can get a guernsey too!! 8)

happy trails quand-meme
Peter

Thanks for all of your information and suggestions. I'll be starting from Sevilla in late February.

Hi Viajero,
I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear how your Camino goes, do you think you'll blog on your trip? Of particular interest would be the availability of accommodation, especially in the 4 towns mentioned that had the government/tourist albergues shut downs.

Thanks, Allison

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Viajero
Buen camino. Good luck I am sure evrything will go really well. We were in Seville last November and had a quick walk out on the vdlp and it was marked really well. Big yellow crosses marked the way not to go and it was marked clearer than when I walked in 2004.
Liz

@peter: i thought i did the Sanabres, but i did not go into portugal and Lalin (Salamanca, Zamora, Ourense, Santiago). But that is not Sanabres??? I walked with this italian guy that had this route in his book which was called Sanabres (thought the name had something to do with Puebla de Sanabria, a small town you pass)
ria

yes you did Ria - the Sanabres starts at Zamora and goes through the village Pueblo Sanabria - I was confused in my last post, thinking the 'side track' of the Via d/l Plata that takes people through NE Portugal (through Braga) was called Sanabres - can't put my finger on its' name now, but I read about it in '06 and was inforned that there were many long (>30km) etapas along it there - no place for 'lazy day' lovers like me !

happy trails
Peter

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm sure that's the one, John. It threw me off when I was in Zamora, because as you're heading out of the city there are arrows pointing you straight, but an official sign pointing left that says Camino Sanabres. I knew the VDLP became the Sanabres, so I started going left. But it didn't feel right, so I went back and headed straight. That took me on the main "non-detour-to-Portugal" Sanabres path, but it's quite confusing.

Melanie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola - I thought about taking that route when walking up from Valencia on the Camino Levante in the summer but the absence of infrastructure and the long etapas put me off. Instead I walked via Ourense as I had done previously on the Via de la Plata.

The original questions:

1 Credenciales (and sello) are indeed available in the hotel Simon. They are supplied by the Amigos in Seville who also provide credenciales, sellos and up to date information. Their office is on the route. They have an excellent website will all info including advertising a guide in English: http://www.viaplata.org/

2 I took 36 days walking from Sevilla to Santiago.

3 In 2006 the route was well waymarked and I understand waymarking has been upgraded since then.

Buen Camino

John

Hi Viajero,

Not sure if you have booked a place to stay in Sevilla already but just in case I have another suggestion: Triana Backpackers Hostel http://www.trianabackpackers.com/albergue-sevilla-hostel-seville. It was 12 euros including my credencial, breakfast, internet and airco! I even had a room all to myself but then again it was in July and the Via de la Plata was QUIET!

Had to abort my trip right after Zamora but I really enjoyed this Camino. I hope to finish through the Sanabrés one day.

Look forward to hearing about your journey!

Buen Camino en vaya con Diós!
LT

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,

A long time has passed since my last contribution to this excellent forum.
I have been kept away from the Camino since my wife broke her left ankle one year ago. Next week, she will "suffer" a last operation in order to remove the plates and screws from her ankle.
Our next (fourth) camino will be, when" everything" is repaired, the Caminho Portugues da Costa towards Santiago. (from Porto following the Atlantic coast)
I got into this conversation as some of you are refering to this Caminho portugues de prata.
My wife and i walked this Caminho two years ago (about) when we decided, once arrived in Zamora (from Sevilla), not to follow Camino de la Plata towards the Sanabrès, because we couldn't find any lodging bookable in advance. I must confess that we have never slept in any albergue.
So, we walked towards the portuguese border following Alison Raju guide (2005 edition). We crossed the border in Quintanilha. Stop in Bragança, and in Vinhais from where, expecting the lodging difficulties you already evocated, we went north following a very small road till Carvalhas where we walked till A Gudina, on the Sanabres path.
There we could easily find the pensiones and hostales we are used to attend.
This portuguese caminho is rather well marked. I have made a few photos of it that you will find on our internet site - Camino de la Plata tab - provided you can read french...

http://www.stjacques.fr

Francis
Ultreia y suseia !

The Camino Sanabres leaves the Via de la Plata at Granja de Moreruela , turning west into the locality of Sanabria. As you leave the plains it becomes more wooded and green , following the River Tera through the Carballeda to Puebla Sanabria. I live on this route, we have created an albergue in Villar de Farfon. Please do feel free to ask about this district , Buen camino, Craig Wallace.
http://www.pilgrimmission.org/

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back