• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata, Portuguese variant

Time of past OR future Camino
So many since 2003.
After completing a spring VdlP in 2008, I’m now well into planning an autumn VdlP from Sevilla this year (2014). I’m considering taking the Portuguese variant from Zamora - Braganza - Verin but am finding it difficult to obtain up to date info on potential stops and albergues/places to stay. (Note that I am waiting on Alison’s booklet to arrive).
I’d welcome any tips, info or advice from pilgrims who have anything to share on this route.
Many thanks, Grace

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After completing a spring VdlP in 2008, I’m now well into planning an autumn VdlP from Sevilla this year (2014). I’m considering taking the Portuguese variant from Zamora - Braganza - Verin but am finding it difficult to obtain up to date info on potential stops and albergues/places to stay. (Note that I am waiting on Alison’s booklet to arrive).
I’d welcome any tips, info or advice from pilgrims who have anything to share on this route.
Many thanks, Grace

Hi, Grace, you should PM Eze, who has been back on the forum recently. He walked that route a few years ago. Here are some threads that discuss this variant:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-portugues-de-la-prata.8982/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-portugues-de-la-via-de-la-plata.2135/

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/via-de-la-plata-de-portugal.16818/

I walked the first 24 km from Zamora to San Pedro de la Nave, just so I could see this amazing church, I believe it dates from the 7th or 8th century, so it's visigothic. Beautiful inside, really it is incredible. Buen camino, good luck with this little-traveled route, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks everyone, I’m slowly getting enough information together to feel a little more confident.
Laurie, I contacted Eze and have translated his wonderful account (from French) - very useful.
Cheers, Grace

Still gathering info (Alison’s book now arrived). My kit is permanently laid out on the table so I can do the daily ‘add’ and ‘subtract’ routine. As I don’t leave NZ until late August, I’m sure I’ll get over it soon enough. jajaja
I’d still be interested to hear from anyone who has any new info on the Portuguese variant (or indeed any part of VdlP as I’m starting in Sevilla)
Cheers Grace

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many thanks, Grace

Hi Grace, you have made me interested in this route. Can you give a little more information regarding 'Alison's booklet' please?
Many thanks, Maggie

Maggie - you can buy it from the CSJ (Confraternity of St James) site - Alison Raju has written a guide to the VdlP (or Camino Mozarabe) and a supplementary guidefor route C from Zamora-Braganza-Santiago. You can order it from their bookshop. The current one was written in 2005 and there are a update sheets. I hope to hear from someone who has walked either last year or this year with more current info.
Cheers Grace (PS - are you living in Sevilla? I will be staying there for a week before I depart)

(PS - are you living in Sevilla? I will be staying there for a week before I depart)

Thanks for that info Grace, I will take a look.
I live close to Málaga (about an hour to the east and north). I am thinking I might walk from my front door next time, perhaps as far as Merida, and then go back and walk from Merida to Santiago the following year. The Portuguese diversion interests me. Will you be writing a blog?
Buen camino / bom caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from Zamora to Braganca and then from Chaves to Verin last March i.e 2013. My blog is http://notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com and the appropriate bit would be Via de la plata part 2, week 3. I sent my comments to Alison Raju so they should be included in the updates. I got the bus from Braganca to Chaves because there seems to be little or no accommodation between Braganca and Verin. I was walking in March and not prepared to sleep on a church porch, neither did I want to have to get a taxi backwards in the afternoon in order to get a taxi again the next day, which is one of the suggestions.
I enjoyed changing to the route through Portugal, it made a change. I found people very friendly and helpful.
All the best with your plans.
Sue

Thanks for that info Grace, I will take a look.
Will you be writing a blog?
Buen camino / bom caminho!
Hi Margaret, I wrote a blog of my first VdlP in 2008 here http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/30699/ but this time around I think I will revert to pen and paper and no camera. My desire is to really relax and enjoy my journey without any pressure to have to communicate to my world back home. Feel free to read the last blog though - it will give you an idea of the main route. Cheers, Grace

I walked from Zamora to Braganca and then from Chaves to Verin last March i.e 2013. My blog is http://notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com and the appropriate bit would be Via de la plata part 2, week 3. I sent my comments to Alison Raju so they should be included in the updates. I got the bus from Braganca to Chaves because there seems to be little or no accommodation between Braganca and Verin. I was walking in March and not prepared to sleep on a church porch, neither did I want to have to get a taxi backwards in the afternoon in order to get a taxi again the next day, which is one of the suggestions.
I enjoyed changing to the route through Portugal, it made a change. I found people very friendly and helpful.
All the best with your plans.
Sue
Hi Sue - what a great blog. You had the worst of weather though. I hope that in October I have better luck. I like that I now have the Chaves option to think about too. Cheers Grace

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Grace, it wasn't particularly that I had bad weather but that the bad weather preceded me ! Certainly in October, even if it rains, the ground should be dry and able to soak up the water. It may even be warm enough to sleep on a church porch:) When I went back to finish, from Verin to Santiago, I walked to Laza and used the Sanabres and the albergues, it is easy to walk from Verin to Laza even though it is mostly on a road.
Bom caminho, Sue

When I went back to finish, from Verin to Santiago, I walked to Laza and used the Sanabres and the albergues, it is easy to walk from Verin to Laza even though it is mostly on a road.
Bom caminho, Sue
Hi Sue, I spent hours yesterday collating all my notes and I have several options now. I like the idea of doing Verin to Laza. I also understand why you detoured to Chaves. It still looks like there is nowhere to stay Edral/Sandi/Segirei area. As I suffer from the cold I won’t be sleeping under the stars alone. ;) Cheers Grace

Hi Sue, I spent hours yesterday collating all my notes and I have several options now. I like the idea of doing Verin to Laza. I also understand why you detoured to Chaves. It still looks like there is nowhere to stay Edral/Sandi/Segirei area. As I suffer from the cold I won’t be sleeping under the stars alone. ;) Cheers Grace
Hi Grace
If you were to detour to Chaves you could do it from Vinhais, which would mean not cutting off so much. The buses from Braganca go through Vinhais and it is quite a busy little town, it looked like it had a few small hotels. It is only Segirei that may not have anywhere to stay, I haven't seen a recent update on the state of play there now. Chaves is well worth a visit.
Sue

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Loved your blog @sulu - thanks so much for providing the link. You don't mention any foot problems - I would have thought you would have at least suffered from 'trench foot' with so much surface water to contend with. Absolutely full marks for keeping going in such conditions.

I have book marked your blog and am sure to refer to it many time before I embark on my hoped for camino Mozarabe from Málaga next year.

Loved your blog @sulu - thanks so much for providing the link. You don't mention any foot problems - I would have thought you would have at least suffered from 'trench foot' with so much surface water to contend with. Absolutely full marks for keeping going in such conditions.

I have book marked your blog and am sure to refer to it many time before I embark on my hoped for camino Mozarabe from Málaga next year.
Thanks Magwood.
I was also astonished that I didn't get 'trench foot' or something similar. I was very, very lucky that I got no problems, but it did teach me to check my boots each time. As I only walk in Spring and Autumn I often get wet and frequently dry my boots next to radiators and heaters, I hadn't realised that I had cracks on my boots, or that they would let in water, even from morning dew, now I will watch my boots, however I doubt that there will be many years when the cows stand in water up to their knees in Extremadura .. in Galicia maybe :)

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back