• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata - Sevilla, 14 Sept 2018

WildPlace

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2015
Via de la Plata 2022
After much contemplation i've now booked my flight from the UK to Madrid from where i'll get the train to Sevilla, arriving 12th September 2018.

I plan on starting the VdlP on the 14th September but plan on getting a taxi to Santiponce that morning as i'm kind of nervous about walking out of Sevilla on my own, then walking the rest of the way to Guillena. As i like to start off a camino in a relaxed, easy way i'm also considering getting a taxi over the first 16km of the Castilblanco de los Arroyos to Almadén de la Plata day - also for the reason that i'm aware that it is likely to be very hot at that time of year and don't want to overdo it!

This will be my third camino. I'm bit of a snail and intend on taking around 50 days to get to Santiago via the Sanabrés, with rest days in Zafra, Caceres, Salamanca and Puebla de Sanabria.

I'll be interested to hear from anyone else planning on doing the VdlP in September.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Vdlp Ia Such a special route to walk. Either Love it Or Hate it especially when weather unstable.

Anyway....buen camino. I Love it because I met the Love of my Life during the walk.

The walk out of Seville is lovely. I'm sorry you'll miss it. Please try to see Italica. You can get a bus from Sevilla several times a day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After much contemplation i've now booked my flight from the UK to Madrid from where i'll get the train to Sevilla, arriving 12th September 2018.

I plan on starting the VdlP on the 14th September but plan on getting a taxi to Santiponce that morning as i'm kind of nervous about walking out of Sevilla on my own, then walking the rest of the way to Guillena. As i like to start off a camino in a relaxed, easy way i'm also considering getting a taxi over the first 16km of the Castilblanco de los Arroyos to Almadén de la Plata day - also for the reason that i'm aware that it is likely to be very hot at that time of year and don't want to overdo it!

This will be my third camino. I'm bit of a snail and intend on taking around 50 days to get to Santiago via the Sanabrés, with rest days in Zafra, Caceres, Salamanca and Puebla de Sanabria.

I'll be interested to hear from anyone else planning on doing the VdlP in September.

Hi
I would highly recommend a rest day in Zamora as well.....

Hi
I will recommend a rest day in the beautiful city of Zamora as well...

Vdlp Ia Such a special route to walk. Either Love it Or Hate it especially when weather unstable.

Anyway....buen camino. I Love it because I met the Love of my Life during the walk.

Thanks for your reply. Sadly the Love of my Life doesn't like walking long distances especially if it involves carrying a backpack but you never know, i might persuade him

The walk out of Seville is lovely. I'm sorry you'll miss it. Please try to see Italica. You can get a bus from Sevilla several times a day.

Thanks Annie, i'll bear that in mind and reserve judgment on getting a taxi until last minute

Hi
I will recommend a rest day in the beautiful city of Zamora as well...

Thanks, i'll think about it, i like to stay pretty flexible while i'm walking and see how things go. My flight there is booked but nothing for the return to the UK yet - i don't like to walk under pressure to to a certain schedule.

Hello Wildplace.....I should be arriving in Seville on 13th Sept to start out the next day ,but i will be on a bike . The walk out of Seville is lovely along the river , and it can, i suppose, be a bit lonely , but there are lonelier places on the V dLP .
If you do walk along the river , and i see you, i will certainly push my bike with you until you feel safe enough to continue on your own.

What ever you decide i am sure you will love this camino .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The love of my life used to drive to the corner dairy so I was gobsmacked when he suggested walking the Camino. We managed to walk 5 different routes and Vdlp was our favourite, so don't give up hope. Also don't miss Italica, taxi there if you want to miss the slog out of town and then walk on to the alburgue. We always started walking in September and Vdlp was hot but still do able at that time of year. I'll be heading back that way myself this year, but will be a couple of weeks ahead of you.

Hello Wildplace.....I should be arriving in Seville on 13th Sept to start out the next day ,but i will be on a bike . The walk out of Seville is lovely along the river , and it can, i suppose, be a bit lonely , but there are lonelier places on the V dLP .
If you do walk along the river , and i see you, i will certainly push my bike with you until you feel safe enough to continue on your own.

What ever you decide i am sure you will love this camino .
Thanks for the very kind offer @jony jony :)

The love of my life used to drive to the corner dairy so I was gobsmacked when he suggested walking the Camino. We managed to walk 5 different routes and Vdlp was our favourite, so don't give up hope. Also don't miss Italica, taxi there if you want to miss the slog out of town and then walk on to the alburgue. We always started walking in September and Vdlp was hot but still do able at that time of year. I'll be heading back that way myself this year, but will be a couple of weeks ahead of you.
Thank you - i'm looking forward to walking the VdlP - i've driven that Seville to Salamanca stretch many times, including earlier this year - great countryside - so i'm really looking forward to taking it at a much slower pace :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Planning and organising is well underway and I now have my train from Madrid to Sevilla booked (the high speed train as was suggested on another thread) :)

I can't bear to overplan - on previous caminos (Frances) I didn't plan much, just walked, started slowly and easily and went as far in a day as I felt like. I feel with the VdlP though that I need to be a bit more organised so I now have a rough plan of how far I want to walk each day which may or may not work out but with there sometimes being large gaps between towns/villages and shops/cafes/bars i thought I should at least look at the information available.

So, I had some time this week to spend on planning as i've been laid up with a painful ankle - slept last night with a ziploc bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel and tied to my ankle with a scarf. Succumbed and took an Ibuprofen tablet earlier today (I try to avoid this usually as I have ulcerative colitis and don't tolerate them well). It feels much better already and I think another night of ankle peas and another tablet might fix it up.

I wouldn't actually mind the pain so much if i'd been really active and been doing long training walks but the most energetic thing i've done over the last three weeks is drive my computer! :D

Planning and organising is well underway and I now have my train from Madrid to Sevilla booked (the high speed train as was suggested on another thread) :)

I can't bear to overplan - on previous caminos (Frances) I didn't plan much, just walked, started slowly and easily and went as far in a day as I felt like. I feel with the VdlP though that I need to be a bit more organised so I now have a rough plan of how far I want to walk each day which may or may not work out but with there sometimes being large gaps between towns/villages and shops/cafes/bars i thought I should at least look at the information available.

So, I had some time this week to spend on planning as i've been laid up with a painful ankle - slept last night with a ziploc bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel and tied to my ankle with a scarf. Succumbed and took an Ibuprofen tablet earlier today (I try to avoid this usually as I have ulcerative colitis and don't tolerate them well). It feels much better already and I think another night of ankle peas and another tablet might fix it up.

I wouldn't actually mind the pain so much if i'd been really active and been doing long training walks but the most energetic thing i've done over the last three weeks is drive my computer! :D
I love your 'ankle peas'! I'm sure you're going to love the walk.
I have thought about doing the VdlP because I like the idea of doing a longer camino and also visiting a place not as 'commercial' as the Frances (which I've done twice in Feb and March - and also without any planning or bookings). But it came to me when talking with people considering their first camino that one of the greatest bonuses of walking a camino, for me, was meeting people. And I walk alone generally so I think I might find the VdlP a bit lonely. Don't mind my own company but prefer to meet and spend time with others (although not big crowds!). I look forward to seeing your thread about how you find it especially as it might need more planning than the Frances. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back