• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena vs Via Francesco

LtotheHill

Time of past OR future Camino
Fisherman's Trail, Portugal; Annapurna Curcuit
Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options. We plan to walk in November, and im guessing that the Via Francigena will be more moderate in temperatures and have more lodging options. Im concerned that it will also have more paved sections. Any help or additional information as we make our decision would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Starting from the Florence area for either walk. Will head there and then take transit to our official starting location. Everything is fairly flexible right now though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have only walked the Via Francigena 10/2022 from Lucca and absolutely loved it. There are quite a few ups and downs but they are more gentle because most of the route was on gravel paths and quaint paved lanes, which my feet don't mind and I do not worry about falling down on mountain streams embedded with a variety of jumbled rocks to navigate if it has rained.
Both @jungleboy and @Elle Bieling walked the Via Francesco at the same time as I was on the Francigena, so they possibly will respond here, or you could try a PM.

Starting from the Florence area for either walk. Will head there and then take transit to our official starting location. Everything is fairly flexible right now though.
My wife and I walked the Via Francesco from Dovadola, Italy(small village on south side of Bologna) to Rome, via Assisi. From Florence you would probably start the walk in La Verna. The route is hilly, but maybe 65% woodsy trails, 35% pavement. Assisi & Gubbio are the most popular towns on the route. We did it in September, and only met two other Pilgrims along the way, so we had the refuges to ourselves. Signage at times can be confusing. It was great to arrive in Assisi on Oct. 4th, the Feast Day of St. Francis.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, we just did the Via Francigena (Milan to Rome) and the St. Francis way (Rome to Assisi) last year. The St. Francis we did in late October to early November and were blessed with good weather, but I could see how that route in November might have some challenges :) I think you would have a better chance for good weather on the VF. But we loved both routes and you can have a wonderful time on whichever you choose.

Hi, we just did the Via Francigena (Milan to Rome) and the St. Francis way (Rome to Assisi) last year. The St. Francis we did in late October to early November and were blessed with good weather, but I could see how that route in November might have some challenges :) I think you would have a better chance for good weather on the VF. But we loved both routes and you can have a wonderful time on whichever you choose.
Thank you, this is very helpful!

My wife and I walked the Via Francesco from Dovadola, Italy(small village on south side of Bologna) to Rome, via Assisi. From Florence you would probably start the walk in La Verna. The route is hilly, but maybe 65% woodsy trails, 35% pavement. Assisi & Gubbio are the most popular towns on the route. We did it in September, and only met two other Pilgrims along the way, so we had the refuges to ourselves. Signage at times can be confusing. It was great to arrive in Assisi on Oct. 4th, the Feast Day of St. Francis.
This is very good intel. I did get the sense that Francesco was very remote, a good consideration in November.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have only walked the Via Francigena 10/2022 from Lucca and absolutely loved it. There are quite a few ups and downs but they are more gentle because most of the route was on gravel paths and quaint paved lanes, which my feet don't mind and I do not worry about falling down on mountain streams embedded with a variety of jumbled rocks to navigate if it has rained.
Both @jungleboy and @Elle Bieling walked the Via Francesco at the same time as I was on the Francigena, so they possibly will respond here, or you could try a PM.
Thank you! I'll DM them if they don't reply here directly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options. We plan to walk in November, and im guessing that the Via Francigena will be more moderate in temperatures and have more lodging options. Im concerned that it will also have more paved sections. Any help or additional information as we make our decision would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I just completed the last 500 km of the via Francigena from Sarzana to Rome March 29 to April 22). My first surprise was how quiet it was. On the trail I met nobody! Only at hostels did we (my 2 friends and I) meet a few people. The second remark is how few lodgings there were. We followed Sandy Brown guide book but some of the stages were very long and tough: few rest stops and few hostels. We had to use booking to help out. The last remark is that there is no luggage transport (except at exhibiting prices and hostels won’t accept luggage). Arriving in Rome we got stuck among all the tourists until we made our way to the guards and showed our credenziale and were able to jump the queue. On the positive side the scenery is magnificent, the people very friendly, and the trail very well marked. The coffee is wonderful and so are the pizzas!

Hi there, I have not walked the Via Francigena, but the Via di Francesco from La Verna to Assisi. We did this portion in 10 days. The summary of our walk with Nick can ve found here: https://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/way-of-st-francis.html. Nick will add links as well, including the onward route from Assisi to Rome. If is a gorgeous walk, but strenuous.

I am in Scotland, just having finished the West Highlànd Way! Happy decision making to you @LtotheHill!

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options.
I have not walked the Via Francigena but I have walked the Via di Francesco. The VdF has more elevation change; 1000m up/down in a single stage is not uncommon and IIRC from La Verna to Rome it is about 14-15,000m of ups and downs. Honestly, I think that would be the main difference/consideration.

Umbria (for the VdF) and Tuscany (for a shortened VF) are similar in terms of their rolling hill landscape, medieval towns etc. I had pretty great weather overall on the VdF in October but November does figure to be worse. If doing a ‘full’ camino is of any importance to you, the shorter VdF makes more sense (and this is honestly the reason I chose it). Overall I loved the VdF and would heartily recommend it if you’re OK with the elevation changes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Via di Francesco from Florence to La Verna to Assisi to a stage past Rieti. It was beautiful, but especially between Florence to several stages past La Verna you will be hiking on trails in mountainous areas. I don’t believe I would do it in November, as you would risk running into snow. Even when we did it in May, we were freezing until we got to Assisi. We saw very few other pilgrims (only 2 small groups) until after La Verna - and even then it wasn’t very busy until after Assisi.

We purposely pick the way of St Frances because we love hiking - and it delivered! Even after Assisi you will be doing some mountain crossings (we took the high path when leaving Assisi and it was one of the most difficult hikes I’ve ever done).

It is a beautiful Camino! I recommend it. But it is vastly different from the Spanish/Portuguese Camino’s.

I’ve walked both routes end to end during the past two years. If you are looking for a more challenging walk then Francis way is a good option. Umbria is lovely but in the mountains it might not be the best that late. The Via Francigena is wonderful! Neither will be busy at that time of year.

Most read last week in this forum

While walking on the Via Francigena last week in Italy, we discovered that Bags Free now offers day by day baggage transport on the section from Lucca to Rome, and -- like in Spain -- it can be...
Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give us some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...
Does anyone know if there’s a direct bus from Lucca to San Miniato? Or is the best option to take the train from Lucca to San Miniato Basso-Fucecchio via Pisa and then bus to San Miniato Alto? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back