• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Villafranca Montes de Oca - plans to reopen the municipal albergue

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
An article in the Diario de Burgos website reports that the new mayor of Villafranca Montes de Oca intends to reopen the municipal albergue which has been closed for a number of years. This is not likely to happen very soon as renovation work is planned. Eventually it is hoped that the albergue will be open all year round.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wonderful news indeed. Years past I often stayed there and loved the facts that:
upon arrival the front door was open.
in the entry was a pilgrim registry to sign with a simple welcome notice stating:
.....The dorm was up the stairs,
.....Choose a bunk upon arrival,
.....The hospitalera would stamp/collect later.

Last edited:
Great news !!

It's been hugely political apparently, but most local families have been starting to realise that fewer beds leads to less business ; at least that's what I gathered from conversations with some of them in 2021 and especially last year.

There's good will, among most of them anyway, and too many businesses -- bars and shops especially -- have suffered too much from the short-sighted greed of a few.

Good News!

If I understand correctly, they could open it soon, but prefer to repair the roof before? (that's what the browser translation suggests).

Anyway, for those who prefer non-private albergues, that's a really great additional option once it's reopened.

Hopefully the local business will be happy too. Even the self-catering pilgrims of a municipal will spend money in the tienda and bar.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I remember a big hotel? up on the hill there, seemingly the only place to stay/eat, except for a little private apartment I found, is that the place?
No. That one up the hill is the private San Anton Abad hotel and albergue. I have stayed there. The municipal is on the other side of the main road.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I recall in 2013 (and in subsequent years) that the locals wanted the municipal to be operational, and were quite angry with the closure of the muni, but in 2013 the big hotel had opened a new albergue and were charging the same £ amount as the muni, so pilgrims were heading to the new one. I recall being approached by a car on the trail a few km before town and handed a flyer for the new albergue and since private albergues usually have nicer space than munis the price would be attractive. (I didn’t stay there.) However, once pilgrims had checked in, they had to pay extra for things, but the damage was done and traffic diverted. The muni couldn’t compete … and summer income helped subsidize winter heat. So come winter, the hotel would shut down their albergue (heating costs) and force pilgrims into rooms, and with the muni forced out of business, there weren't many options.

With pilgrim traffic up, it may be sustainable to operate again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's not that the Municipal couldn't compete, it was that the most powerful local family forced it to shut down at the town hall.

At least one of the local tiendas was forced to close for similar reason AFAIK -- though some of the businesses went bust from covid instead.

It was clear to me, more hopefully, passing through in 2021 & 2022 on my last Camino that even that family had realised they'd shot themselves in the foot, including because many pilgrims would stay in another pueblo a few K prior, then just trudge through Villafranca and spend nothing in the place.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back