• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Violence (nearly), due to snoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeninho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
So, I am/was in the middle of the C.P. I'd just walked from Fatima and my feet are ruined (see attached photos, which are of each foot). Anyway, arrived in Tomar, checked into the hostel, and met an Australian guy who was in the bunk below. Seemed really friendly. We chatted about the cricket, rugby (I'm English, if you know, you know) and the Camino. Anyway, got showered, etc and went out for some food. Whilst out, I met some other pilgrims and we stayed at a bar till about 1. I creeped back into the dorm and didn't wake anyone (this was confirmed by the 4 of the other pilgrims this morning) and went to sleep. I was awoken at about 3:30am, as in physically touched and shook, and told by this Australian to stop snoring and to sleep on my side and not my back. Now whether it was a combination of alcohol, painkillers, tiredness, the pain, the sheer disbelief of his actions or a combination of all of the above, I thought it must a dream, (but it most certainly wasn't), so I turned over and went back to sleep. When I woke at 7 this morning, to say I was, and still am angry, no, apoplectic with rage, is the understatement of the century. He had gone, so I didn't have chance to address the situation. But surely he knows about snoring on the Camino? Watched YouTube videos, etc. And he said he'd been in the army from our earlier conversation, so he must be used to communal sleeping. Anyway, I phoned my ex of 16 years and asked how loud, because I know I'm a snorer, but not one of those that is really loud. "Just normal man snoring" were her words. Either way, he's lucky I didn't break his jaw. My Camino is ruined. And that's without the bad feet. Anyway, I've come back to Fatima to chill in the free albergue (I'm on a VERY tight budget) for a couple of days and to let my feet heal, but I am seriously considering going home. Am I right to feel angry? Or do I embrace the "spirit of the Camino" and just let it go? Or was he in the right to wake me? And remember, he physically shook me to wake me up. Thoughts?

Addendum:- A non pilgrim guest, in addition to the other pilgrims in the room not only confirmed that I didn't wake him when I came back to the room, but that HE was actually awoken by the guy waking me up. You really couldn't make it up.

Attachments

• PXL_20230905_215608259~2.jpg
    PXL_20230905_215608259~2.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 4,925
  • PXL_20230905_215617214~2.jpg
    PXL_20230905_215617214~2.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If this is all it takes to ruin your Camino, you're in for a heck of a ride, imo.
Bear in mind HE was probably just as exhausted as you and was hoping for a good night's sleep.
Was he wrong to shake you?
I'd say yes,
and HE is also in for a heck of a ride, if he thinks albergues are quiet.

But pilgrims aren't always quiet or nice or "fill in the blank."
They are people.
I've seen fistfights in albergues, along with other bad behavior.

However, loud snoring is why I require people in my group trips to book a private room, instead of sharing.
It's also why when I walk alone and sleep in albergues, I wear really good earplugs.
You can also expect people talking on their phones late at night, earlybirds up and packing at 4:30 am, shaking bags and chatting, drunk singing, and more . . .

Honestly, I'd say get over it, and get back on the trail if you're willing to accept adversity.
(Realize the person writing this has said she "quit the Camino" more times than I can remember.)
But at least finish it first - I trust after a day or two of rest and some healing, you'll be read to walk again.

My thoughts? I can sympathize somewhat with your initial reaction, but I don't understand its extent. What he did may have been inappropriate, but it was not such a terrible terrible thing that merits this outrage. It is the disappointment of your feet, and your anger, that will end your Camino, not his act.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Totally agree, this guy was well out of order, we have all done noisy albergues, and although you try your best to not encrouch on others, snoring is part of the experience.

Pls don't feel it has ruined things, I had two instances in August that left me reeling, but that same day I had some locals really help me out.

Like it or not, there are some right sods on the way, simple as that, dont like them, just walk away from them and let them get on with their S*^^t...

Good luck to you, stick with it...

My thoughts are that I agree with the others. It is a known fact that sleeping on your side often reduces or eliminates snoring. Possibly the person who shook you to wake you up did not want to yell loudly; disturbing everyone else who was in a peaceful sleep in spite of your "white noise". I'm sure it was embarrassing to be singled out and possibly the root of your extreme anger.
I think you will only hurt yourself and probably have regrets if you go home early.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked Camino Frances 2 years ago there were a group of 3 drunk gentlemen that came into the dorm room at 11pm and proceeded to talk loudly, laugh, shine their headlamps around the room and into our eyes as they loudly unpacked their sleeping gear and finally settle in and shut up. Three hours later I was awoken by the loudest, most terrifying snoring I had ever heard. It honestly scared me awake.

Did I want to beat them to death? Yes. Did I do anything? No. I glared at them the next morning and left and decided that albergues were not for me. My sleep is too important for me.

If you're going to stay out until 1am drinking, get a private room. Yes people snore, but drunk snoring is somehow much louder than usual. I applaud the gentleman that shook you awake, I wish I had the courage to do that to the water buffaloes in my dorm.

So, I am/was in the middle of the C.P. I'd just walked from Fatima and my feet are ruined (see attached photos). Anyway, arrived in Tomar, checked into the hostel, and met an Australian guy who was in the bunk below. Seemed really friendly. we chatted about the cricket, rugby (I'm English, if you know, you know) and the Camino. Anyway, got showered, etc and went out for some food. Whilst out, met some other pilgrims and we stayed at a bar till about 1. Creeped back into the dorm and didn't wake anyone (this was confirmed by the 4 other pilgrims this morning) and went to sleep. I was awoken at about 3:30am, as in physically touched and shook, and told by this Australian to stop snoring and to sleep on my side and not my back. Now whether it was a combination of alcohol, painkillers, tiredness, the pain, the sheer disbelief of his actions or a combination of all of the above, I thought it must a dream, but it most certainly wasn't, but I turned over and went back to sleep. When I woke at 7 this morning, to say I was, and still am angry, no, apoplectic with rage is the understatement of the century. Surely he knows about snoring on the Camino? Watched YouTube videos, etc. And he said he'd been in the army from our earlier conversation. Anyway, I phoned my ex of 16 years and asked how loud, because I know I'm a snorer, but not one of those that is really loud. "Just normal man snoring" were her words. Either way, he's lucky I didn't break his jaw. My Camino is ruined. And that's without the bad feet. Anyway, I've come back to Fatima to chill in the free albergue (I'm on a VERY tight budget) for a couple of days and to let my feet heal, but I am seriously considering going home. Am I right to feel angry? Or do I embrace the "spirit of the Camino" and just let it go? Or was he in the right to wake me? And remember, he physically touched me to wake me up. Thoughts?
Sleep on it. Let it go. There is a story and yes, I am going to tell a version of it to you. Two religious brothers were walking along by a river and a damsel in distress needed to be taken over to the other side. One of the two men carried her over, and the two men then continued on their way. After a long time, the other guy said to the one who had carried the woman: Brother, I am unhappy about what you did... the one who carried her said: Brother, I carried her and left her there....
buen camino...

If this is all it takes to ruin your Camino, you're in for a heck of a ride, imo.
Bear in mind HE was probably just as exhausted as you and was hoping for a good night's sleep.
Was he wrong to shake you?
I'd say yes,
and HE is also in for a heck of a ride, if he thinks albergues are quiet.

But pilgrims aren't always quiet or nice or "fill in the blank."
They are people.
I've seen fistfights in albergues, along with other bad behavior.

However, loud snoring is why I require people in my group trips to book a private room, instead of sharing.
It's also why when I walk alone and sleep in albergues, I wear really good earplugs.
You can also expect people talking on their phones late at night, earlybirds up and packing at 4:30 am, shaking bags and chatting, drunk singing, and more . . .

Honestly, I'd say get over it, and get back on the trail if you're willing to accept adversity.
(Realize the person writing this has said she "quit the Camino" more times than I can remember.)
But at least finish it first - I trust after a day or two of rest and some healing, you'll be read to walk again.
A) This isn't my first Camino
B) This was a public hostel in Tomar, a busy thoroughfare on the C.P used by many pilgrims
C) There were other noisy, younger guests in the hostel
D) As I have previously stated, even my ex confirmed my snoring isn't loud

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, I am/was in the middle of the C.P. I'd just walked from Fatima and my feet are ruined (see attached photos, which are of each foot). Anyway, arrived in Tomar, checked into the hostel, and met an Australian guy who was in the bunk below. Seemed really friendly. we chatted about the cricket, rugby (I'm English, if you know, you know) and the Camino. Anyway, got showered, etc and went out for some food. Whilst out, met some other pilgrims and we stayed at a bar till about 1. Creeped back into the dorm and didn't wake anyone (this was confirmed by the 4 of the other pilgrims this morning) and went to sleep. I was awoken at about 3:30am, as in physically touched and shook, and told by this Australian to stop snoring and to sleep on my side and not my back. Now whether it was a combination of alcohol, painkillers, tiredness, the pain, the sheer disbelief of his actions or a combination of all of the above, I thought it must a dream, but it most certainly wasn't, but I turned over and went back to sleep. When I woke at 7 this morning, to say I was, and still am angry, no, apoplectic with rage is the understatement of the century. Surely he knows about snoring on the Camino? Watched YouTube videos, etc. And he said he'd been in the army from our earlier conversation. Anyway, I phoned my ex of 16 years and asked how loud, because I know I'm a snorer, but not one of those that is really loud. "Just normal man snoring" were her words. Either way, he's lucky I didn't break his jaw. My Camino is ruined. And that's without the bad feet. Anyway, I've come back to Fatima to chill in the free albergue for a couple of days and to let my feet heal, but I am seriously considering going home. Am I right to feel angry, or do I embrace the "spirit of the Camino" and just let it go. Or was he in the right to wake me. And remember, he physically touched me to wake me up. Thoughts?
I think possibly with drinking together he maybe thought you now had a familiarity that you did not share, but it also seems like a big overreaction, I say let it go, when you decide to sleep with strangers things are going to happen. 🙌

I used to snore, and I could give 2 advices:
- Try to be used to sleep on your belly rather than on your back.
- Do not drink too much nor eat too heavy on dinners.

This summer, on Primitivo, a fellow pilgrim who was going to share a room with me propose to lend me earplugs because he was a terrible snorer.
Hopefully, I had a pair.

I think possibly with drinking together he maybe thought you now had a familiarity that you did not share, but it also seems like a big overreaction, I say let it go, when you decide to sleep with strangers things are going to happen. 🙌
We weren't drinking together, the conversation was from when we met when I arrived at the hostel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We weren't drinking together

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I walked Camino Frances 2 years ago there were a group of 3 drunk gentlemen that came into the dorm room at 11pm and proceeded to talk loudly, laugh, shine their headlamps around the room and into our eyes as they loudly unpacked their sleeping gear and finally settle in and shut up. Three hours later I was awoken by the loudest, most terrifying snoring I had ever heard. It honestly scared me awake.

Did I want to beat them to death? Yes. Did I do anything? No. I glared at them the next morning and left and decided that albergues were not for me. My sleep is too important for me.

If you're going to stay out until 1am drinking, get a private room. Yes people snore, but drunk snoring is somehow much louder than usual. I applaud the gentleman that shook you awake, I wish I had the courage to do that to the water buffaloes in my dorm.
Unfortunately I can't afford private rooms. It's a pilgrimage, not a holiday.

Certainly no one has the right to physically touch you and to have someone do so while you are asleep can be disturbing. That was wrong.

Now please rethink your behavior for the future. I guarantee that you were not nearly as quiet as you thought as you returned to the hostel after drinking. Undressing in the dark and climbing into the top bunk with sore feet at 1am? I am sure your noise also ruined the experience for many other pilgrims who similarly thought of the joy of punching you in the jaw as retribution.

In short, we all exhibit poor behavior at times. We all have actions that should be forgiven. We all should tread lightly and curb our behavior when we know that they can negatively impact others. The Camino teaches many lessons.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I knew I'd get this reaction. I guess I'm the bad guy, eh?
Or likely neither you nor 'the Australian' are 'bad guys'. You told your side of the story and how you reacted and asked for opinions - which people are giving.

As I have previously stated, even my ex confirmed my snoring isn't loud
Just as an aside, your 'ex of 16 years' telling you your snoring isn't loud - 'just normal man snoring' really is not relevant to how you were snoring that night, after a day's walking and a night at the bar.

Hopefully you can put it behind you now. And enjoy the rest of your camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am seriously considering going home. Am I right to feel angry?
Seems a bit of an extreme reaction if you ask me, which you did.

People commonly complain about snorers, and I've certainly done my fair share of complaining. This is the first time I've heard of a snorer complaining that someone complained about their snoring...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, I am/was in the middle of the C.P. I'd just walked from Fatima and my feet are ruined (see attached photos, which are of each foot). Anyway, arrived in Tomar, checked into the hostel, and met an Australian guy who was in the bunk below. Seemed really friendly. We chatted about the cricket, rugby (I'm English, if you know, you know) and the Camino. Anyway, got showered, etc and went out for some food. Whilst out, I met some other pilgrims and we stayed at a bar till about 1. I creeped back into the dorm and didn't wake anyone (this was confirmed by the 4 of the other pilgrims this morning) and went to sleep. I was awoken at about 3:30am, as in physically touched and shook, and told by this Australian to stop snoring and to sleep on my side and not my back. Now whether it was a combination of alcohol, painkillers, tiredness, the pain, the sheer disbelief of his actions or a combination of all of the above, I thought it must a dream, (but it most certainly wasn't), so I turned over and went back to sleep. When I woke at 7 this morning, to say I was, and still am angry, no, apoplectic with rage, is the understatement of the century. He had gone, so I didn't have chance to address the situation. But surely he knows about snoring on the Camino? Watched YouTube videos, etc. And he said he'd been in the army from our earlier conversation, so he must be used to communal sleeping. Anyway, I phoned my ex of 16 years and asked how loud, because I know I'm a snorer, but not one of those that is really loud. "Just normal man snoring" were her words. Either way, he's lucky I didn't break his jaw. My Camino is ruined. And that's without the bad feet. Anyway, I've come back to Fatima to chill in the free albergue (I'm on a VERY tight budget) for a couple of days and to let my feet heal, but I am seriously considering going home. Am I right to feel angry? Or do I embrace the "spirit of the Camino" and just let it go? Or was he in the right to wake me? And remember, he physically shook me to wake me up. Thoughts?
Worse things can happen.

I was once in a tiny room on the VdlP without windows with 4 elderly men. I don't know what they had eaten for dinner, but the smell in that little room was horrible.

Getting in at 1AM after drinking is not a chess move, anyway, IMHO...

Yes. It's the Sanctuary at Fatima, and they insist on not taking donations. Google it if you want. I knew I'd get this reaction. I guess I'm the bad guy, eh?
I was unable to find anything on this free accomondation in Fatima.....can you post a link?
I had not been aware that it existed and could not find any other reference to it.
Thanks

" I was, and still am angry, no, apoplectic with rage.... Either way, he's lucky I didn't break his jaw.

And then later you say that your on pilgrimage, not a holiday. A pilgrimage is undertaken on religious grounds. Whatever happened to forgiveness ? To turning the other cheek?
Have you actually read what you've said, how aggressive you sound -whether meant or not ? I mean, seriously, suggesting you'd break his jaw for waking you? You woke him first.

Was he right to wake you? Debatable. Not what I'd do, but I imagine that in the army it's exactly what he'd do to a comrade, so maybe in his eyes it was reasonable.

My Camino is ruined."
Somewhat of an overreaction don't you think?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With your attitude, and level of anger, I do think going home is the right choice for you and more importantly for the Australian and fellow pilgrims. You've lost the spirit of the Camino, or, the spirit of the Camino is lost on you.

I was unable to find anything on this free accomondation in Fatima.....can you post a link?
I had not been aware that it existed and could not find any other reference to it.
Thanks
The only one I could find was this one:

It's free and people can stay for up to three nights, but they say:
"O acolhimento de peregrinos a pé é prestado aos peregrinos de forma gratuita, sendo cada peregrino convidado a, se assim desejar, contribuir com uma oferta para os apoios sociais e caritativos que este Santuário assegura."

It roughly translates to "it's free but pilgrims are invited to contribute"

You slept from 1 till 3.30 when he woke you and then you were able to sleep again till 7?
Well, that is more than some people manage on an average night in an albergue so kudos to you!

I agree what everyone else already wrote.You are taking this way too seriously.

Regarding a free albergue. There is no such thing. Someone has to pay for the upkeep of these donativo places. So if not able to contribute financially do ask them if you can help in a practical way while staying there.

Regarding those blisters : keep refreshing them with clean bandaids!

Chill! And maybe try drinking some soda or non alcoholic beverages for a couple of days. Might make you less edgy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

"O acolhimento de peregrinos a pé é prestado aos peregrinos de forma gratuita, sendo cada peregrino convidado a, se assim desejar, contribuir com uma oferta para os apoios sociais e caritativos que este Santuário assegura."

Thanks @JCLima.
That confirms what most of us suspected. They, of course, accept donations.
It is simply a "donativo" not a free albergue.

It really is sad that so many people convince themselves that the donativo albergues are free. I am sure they know better but use the "free" definition to excuse themselves.
They often have money to go out drinking until 1am...but not money to pay the albergue.
Truly sad.

Thanks @JCLima.
That confirms what most of us suspected. They, of course, accept donations.
It is simply a "donativo" not a free albergue.

It really is sad that so many people convince themselves that the donativo albergues are free. I am sure they know better but use the "free" definition to excuse themselves.
They often have money to go out drinking until 1am...but not money to pay the albergue.
Truly sad.
Maybe he can sleep outside under the stars which is truly free.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_161004731.jpg
    PXL_20230906_161004731.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 178
  • PXL_20230906_160952709.jpg
    PXL_20230906_160952709.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 220
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Addendum:- A non pilgrim guest, in addition to the other pilgrims in the room not only confirmed that I didn't wake him when I came back to the room, but that HE was actually awoken by the guy waking me up. You really couldn't make it up. And yes, I guess I am the bad guy. "Spirit of the Camino"? It really is a holiday to most of you people, isn't it? Some of us actually undertake this for religious reasons. Like I said earlier, this is the reaction I expected. And in the spirit of Christianity, I have forgiven the guy, and will carry on to Santiago. I have already just completed an actual pilgrimage anyway so far by coming to Fatima, twice now. Thanks for all your opinions though. Very insightful. God bless and Bom Caminho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Addendum:- A non pilgrim guest, in addition to the other pilgrims in the room not only confirmed that I didn't wake him when I came back to the room, but that HE was actually awoken by the guy waking me up. You really couldn't make it up. And yes, I guess I am the bad guy. "Spirit of the Camino"? It really is a holiday to most of you people, isn't it? Some of us actually undertake this for religious reasons. Like I said earlier, this is the reaction I expected. And in the spirit of Christianity, I have forgiven the guy, and will carry on to Santiago. I have already just completed an actual pilgrimage anyway so far by coming to Fatima, twice now. Thanks for all your opinions though. Very insightful. God bless and Bom Caminho.

To be fair I do not think you have forgiven him seeing you are still rambling about it here. Let it go!
To freely quote a former local politician : " Principles are like farts, if you can't hold them up , let them go quietly".

May you find peace and inner quietness. Enjoy, you are in a beautiful country with one of the nicest citizens I have ever met.

Both my husband and I used to snore (he very loud, me less loud) and we both now have CPAP machines so we don't snore any more and we sleep much better. This summer my husband did awaken a man and ask him to turn on his side. People were leaving the their beds in the bunk room to sleep outside in the hallway because his snoring was so loud. Phil asked him to turn on his side and sleep and the man said "Yes, I hope that helps." and turned on his side. It didn't really help. He had the dangerous apneic kind of snoring and I was concerned for his health. If you do snore even a little, you might want to discuss this with your provider when you return home. Tests for can now be done at home and not in a sleep lab. Hope the beauty of the Camino will return for you.

Last edited:
Right, so it's established that physically touching someone in their sleep is far less of a crime than snoring? Got it. Even though all the videos on YouTube by all the "experts" explicitly state that there will be people who snore and it's highly recommended that you bring earplugs. Also, I may have used the term "free", I did actually mean donativo and of course made said donation, but the assumption is that I didn't. Nice community you guys have. Great "spirit of the Camino".

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can afford to drink till 1am

Get over it, and yourself.

I was shaken violently awake in the Albergue in Samos by a woman shouting “Snoring, snoring”. I didn’t punch her in the nose but did point out that I was wide awake and the snoring continued

Last edited:
Also, I may have used the term "free", I did actually mean donativo and of course made said donation, but the assumption is that I didn't. Nice community you guys have. Great "spirit of the Camino".
I'm having a little trouble squaring this with:
It's the Sanctuary at Fatima, and they insist on not taking donations.
That's where we got the assumption you hadn't made a donation. The two seem to be contradictory but that is probably me being obtuse.

In terms of this community and the "spirit of the Camino" here, you came and appeared to ask for opinions and not just validation, opinions you seem to be unwilling to countenance when they are not validation. I think a key element of the "spirit of the Camino" is kindness. But kindness is not the same as niceness. It is looking for and trying to provide what is best for the other person. I think that is what everyone is doing by giving you their honest opinions (in response to your explicit request for opinions).

But that's just what I think. YMMV, if course.

I must say that the overreaction is not from the OP, it is some the responses. I certainly think that there could have been a better way for the gentleman to wake him. You never know how someone could react when being awaken by a stranger in a deep sleep. I am a light sleeper and have had many a sleepless nights on the camino, I never considering waking someone and tell them to turnover. Buen Camio to all!

I must say that the overreaction is not from the OP, it is some the responses. I certainly think that there could have been a better way for the gentleman to wake him. You never know how someone could react when being awaken by a stranger in a deep sleep
I have only read one response from someone who thought that it was a good idea to wake @Joeninho. I agree that it was completely inappropriate for the other pilgrim to have touched him in any way to wake him up.

It's these statements that I consider to be extreme overreaction:

When I woke at 7 this morning, to say I was, and still am angry, no, apoplectic with rage, is the understatement of the century.

Either way, he's lucky I didn't break his jaw. My Camino is ruined

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have seen other methods used to try to stop snorers. Throwing things is one. Shaking the bunk. Kicking the bunk from below was another. At least if someone wakes you, you know what the problem is. As hospitaleros we've had self professed snorers ask to be placed together in a dorm away from others. I have also had pilgrims tell me they were banished to the kitchen floor midway through the night because of their snoring. Asking someone to turn on his or her side does not seem that intrusive to me, but I am a nurse who wakes people up at night for assessments and vital signs, too.

There's no really good answers. Snoring is something the snorer can't always help. Private rooms are one solution. Ear plugs are another. Neither will alleviate the snoring though.

I must say that the overreaction is not from the OP, it is some the responses. I certainly think that there could have been a better way for the gentleman to wake him. You never know how someone could react when being awaken by a stranger in a deep sleep. I am a light sleeper and have had many a sleepless nights on the camino, I never considering waking someone and tell them to turnover. Buen Camio to all!
Finally, somebody who actually gets it. Thank you

You can afford to drink till 1am

Get over it, and yourself.

I was shaken violently awake in the Albergue in Samoa by a woman shouting “Snoring, snoring”. I didn’t punch her in the nose but did point out that I was wide awake and the snoring continued
The drinks were bought by someone else

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have only read one response from someone who thought that it was a good idea to wake @Joeninho. I agree that it was completely inappropriate for the other pilgrim to have touched him in any way to wake him up.

It's these statements that I consider to be extreme overreaction:
Okay, maybe I overreacted. But it was an extreme invasion of my personal space. And again, this wasn't an albergue, but a public hostel. He didn't go out to the communal space where people were talking and tell them to shut up.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Have stayed there and it is true- free, but IMO really a donativo. To be fair, there are many pilgrims that go to Fatima that are stretching their budgets just to travel to the shrine. I wasn't one of them so I left a donation.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To be touched while sleeping? By someone outside intimate trust? A primal fear. A deep mammalian instinct. Full stop. Sleep is when we are most vulnerable, so I understand why you felt angry, violated, and confused, OP.

However, you asked whether you should stay angry or forgive. I 100% say forgive. Your fellow pilgrim did not seem to be acting with ill intentions, not at all. Possibly it was frustration, possibly it was even the desire to help you sleep better. If it were me, I would walk through these feelings (after healing the feet, of course). Our responses can teach so much, anger included. You can’t really rush these realizations, which makes Camino perfect. No broken jaws, please, and there’s probably a great lesson or realization at the end of this. Take it easy and Buen Camino.

D) As I have previously stated, even my ex confirmed my snoring isn't loud
So one time, when I was much younger, and a bit heavier, and a drinker, I was told by a Perigrina one morning, "You know you snore, right?" "What?" I replied. It sort of devastated me. So after the trip I downloaded an app, I think it's called SnoreLab. You basically put it at your bedside and it records you over the night, and it rates your "loudness". At the time I had a beautiful black labrador retriever who slept in my room (on the floor). After the first night of recording, listening to the results, I turned to my dog and said, "Buddy! You snore".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
O! M! G!
Ok.... here is my couple of pennies...
Reading through all of this thread - there is NO QUESTION in my mind that pretty much EVERYONE agreed that they guy should not have done what he did. PERIOD! nobody denied that it very well could be upsetting at the least. Lets rejoice in that fact - we all AGREED...
Now... when one asks for opinions one should be prepared to get many (and we know THAT "old" saying, don't we? - For the record no disrespect meant to anyone who did express theirs; just as I am now hence firmly planting myself into the saying ;) )
...Now that said, I am sorry but you did come across as 'hostile', somewhat 'pompous' and your 'excuses' (at least that's what they looked like to me) were unraveling faster than one can produce a single snore! You have contradicted yourself more than once and continue to insist that "you are in-the right". That, IMMHO is "wrong".
Really?! A Catholic Church is literally one of the richest institutions in the world ? I take it you are non-Catholic and hence by default, somewhat projected the insulting image on all the rest of us non-Catholics (i.e. oh they ALL must think that way!) And that aside, its OK to 'take from the rich'? I was always told by my elders (and teach my kids the same) that no matter how poor you think you are, there is ALWAYS someone poorer than you. Perhaps a bit of thought on a Charity, Kindness (as many have pointed out in their ASKED FOR opinions) and a little Humility thrown in for a good measure may put your PILGRIMAGE Camino on a proper track.

..Better stop myself now, lest The Gods of Moderation will zap this post from its existence...

Please, chill, continue on your Camino, DO TAKE CARE of your FEET - that probably should be more of a priority than anything - buy a pair of earplugs and do not stay out late. Things will work itself out

Buen Camino! ☮️🕊️✌️

Last edited:

€46,-
And again, it's a pilgrimage, not a holiday
Then perhaps it's time you started talking and acting like a Christian. Stop making excuses , hanging out in bars, threatening language/ behaviour, try to be a bit more respectful of others, in both words and deeds.
Once your feet have healed, continue on your Camino, pray for forgiveness, and forgive others .
You could do worse than starting by reflecting on the Lord's prayer. If you truly are on pilgrimage, you will know what I mean, regardless of your particular secular beliefs.
I hope you find peace

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back