• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visiting Madrid before Camino Ingles

LakbayCJG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles
I will be visiting the Royal Church of St James in Madrid before taking the train to Ferrol for my Camino Ingles. Is it possible to get my credencial and my first sello from the Royal Church in Madrid although I won't officially start my Camino until the next day in Ferrol ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a Camino church in Madrid you should definitely check out. They give stamps and the priest even gave me a blessing. I went to Madrid after my Camino.

LakbayCJG
or as it's called in Spain: Real Iglesia Parroquial de Santiago y San Juan Bautista https://www.santiagoysanjuan.org/

I went in there when the doors opened at 10am for my Credencial. I can't remember whether the woman actually asked me if I was starting in Madrid - but she gave me the church's stamp. Worse case scenario is you get the Credencial but not the stamp. Either way you should really get a stamp in Ferrol anyway, as that is the start point of your foot journey - and the Pilgrim's Office will be looking for 2 stamps a day...
Years ago when I walked the Ingles the place to get Credencial and stamp was the tourist kiosk on the waterfront. But others may suggest something else...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's the church I'm referring to. Will be arriving in Madrid Sunday afternoon from my Saturday flight from the US and that's where I'll hear Sunday Mass. I'm taking the morning train to Ferrol on Monday.

They show they also have hours 6-8 pm as well. That’s the time I’m going there next month before I start walking the next day.

I will be visiting the Royal Church of St James in Madrid before taking the train to Ferrol for my Camino Ingles. Is it possible to get my credencial and my first sello from the Royal Church in Madrid although I won't officially start my Camino until the next day in Ferrol ?Y
Yes; they’ll happily issue a credencial and stamp it. It will be assumed you’re starting from Madrid; but that doesn’t matter. Unless you’ve all the time in the world, I wouldn’t try to explain. Lovely people.

They’ll give you a selection of leaflets on accommodation - for the Camino de Madrid - you could save those for next time!

Do ensure you get a stamp in Ferrol before starting out. The source of your credencial isn’t a matter for the pilgrim office in Santiago, so long as it’s ‘approved’ which the Madrid one is.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back