• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visiting Santo Tomás de las Ollas

peregrina2000

Staff member
I know that @alansykes and @LTfit (and probably others) have visited this pre-Romanesque 10C church on their way into Ponferrada from the Olvidado. Though I've walked this way twice, I've missed it both times. :-(

This spring I hope to walk the Invierno again, and will hopefully have some time in Ponferrada to take a trip out to the church. Google maps tells me it's only 2 km from the albergue.

Does anyone know what the hours for visiting are? I know that there is a "señora con las llaves", that there is some information posted on the door, and that there is a bar next door that's helpful, but I wonder how early I could show up in the morning to visit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know that @alansykes and @LTfit (and probably others) have visited this pre-Romanesque 10C church on their way into Ponferrada from the Olvidado. Though I've walked this way twice, I've missed it both times. :-(

This spring I hope to walk the Invierno again, and will hopefully have some time in Ponferrada to take a trip out to the church. Google maps tells me it's only 2 km from the albergue.

Does anyone know what the hours for visiting are? I know that there is a "señora con las llaves", that there is some information posted on the door, and that there is a bar next door that's helpful, but I wonder how early I could show up in the morning to visit.
Laurie,

This current page from Google cites for Santo Tomás de las Ollas the times it is open and a current telephone number.

Laurie,

This current page from Google cites for Santo Tomás de las Ollas the times it is open and a current telephone number.
That’s very helpful, thanks. I wonder if the sign on the door encourages people to call at any reasonable time, in or out of “official visiting hours.” I would be surprised if either LT or Alan arrived there after 11, since they were walking a short stage from Congosto that probably got them there much earlier.

I know there’s a bar nearby, so maybe the thing to do is walk out early and hope it’s open, and if not, have breakfast and wait.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I definitely saw her mid morning! Walked into the square and she was sitting on the bench. I think the route I took from Congosto was only about 13 km. I am pretty sure I visited the church, went for coffee, stopped to buy groceries and still arrived at the hotel around 12:30!

Oh, I forgot that you had gone to the church, ML. I will plan to just get there early and see what happens. If I’m delayed, it won’t be that bad, because from the church to my next stop, the Monastery of San Pedro de Valdueza, it’s only about 22 kkm. So I should be fine.

That’s very helpful, thanks. I wonder if the sign on the door encourages people to call at any reasonable time, in or out of “official visiting hours.” I would be surprised if either LT or Alan arrived there after 11, since they were walking a short stage from Congosto that probably got them there much earlier.

I know there’s a bar nearby, so maybe the thing to do is walk out early and hope it’s open, and if not, have breakfast and wait.
I arrived quite early, around 8:00 or 9:00 I believe (I'm sure the exact time is in my 'live' thread). Since I was hesitant to knock on her door I lingered around for a bit when she opened her blinds and stuck her head out the window. She came out at once to open up and give me a guided tour.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think there is a note on the door of the church. If you arrive at the church through the square, the door is
on the left of the building. The person's house is on the street on the right side of the square (more or less directly across from the bench). That's her on the bench in the first picture. :)

Sign on the door in the second picture.

Behind the church there is a great view and a rose-lined path that made a great place to have a very early lunch.

43E06248-4B75-4A0E-901C-FA612480C259_1_105_c.jpeg

FBC5C1FE-0A3D-4F0E-A144-15F028D55C46_1_105_c.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back