• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visiting the Cueva Ermita San Bernabé on the Espinosa - Pedrosa Stage (how to)

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
Hello! Living in Bilbao has meant that I've been lucky enough to do several stages of the Camino Olvidado as day/weekend trips. This past weekend a friend and I walked 2 stages - Espinosa de los Monteros - Pedrosa de Valdeporres - Arija.

Having seen photos and mentions of the Cueva Ermita San Bernabé on this forum before, I really wanted to find a way to visit the site but not have to backtrack or spend 2 nights in the same place. Turns out there are loads of trails in the area and we ended up having a spectacular day walking from Espinosa to Pedrosa via the site, taking a tour of the cave/ermita, walking on the ridge above the valley, taking a little detour to see El Ventanón and then down into Pedrosa.

In total, this route was 26.15 kilometres - only slightly longer than the official stage - and 652m of elevation gain. I highly recommend this route!! The owner of the hotel I stayed in was also mentioning that it's a shame this isn't a better known option for those walking the Olvidado.

Here are our tracks for the day: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...pa-espinosa-de-los-monteros-pedrosa-126330449

We followed the official route (very well waymarked!) from Espinosa until Quisicedo de Sotoscueva. From there, we followed the PRC-BU 31 trail (marked with yellow and white markings). There was also good signage as it's to the popular tourist attraction.

After taking a ridiculous amount of photos of the site and the 45 minute tour (4.50 euros) we went up and joined the PRC-BU 32 trail (also well marked) to Villamartín de Sotoscueva. From there we followed the GR-1 (red and white markings) to Pedrosa. Interestingly, when we were walking out of Villamartín there were also yellow arrows pointing the way. I'm very curious about why they appeared here and if there was another marked way to that location that we didn't take. I've done a search on the forum but haven't solved this mystery yet. I have both the Wise Pilgrim Olvidado app and the Official (Orange coloured) app and neither have this alternate mapped.

If you look at our trail, we diverged from the GR-1 to see the rock bridge/window (El Ventanón). It's 1km in either direction but easy walking and on a marked trail. If you don't want to see that, it means that this route is actually shorter than the official trail.

The descent down into Pedrosa is quite long but wasn't as bad as I though it'd be when I first looked at the elevation map the evening before. It's basically a very long switchback but on a proper hiking trail. Having said that, if you have bad knees, do take this into consideration.

Here are some photos to tempt you :)

Buen Camino!
IMG_20230219_085829.jpgIMG_20230219_112959.jpgIMG_20230219_123327.jpgIMG_20230219_123536.jpgIMG_20230219_124935.jpgIMG_20230219_125036.jpgIMG_20230219_143327.jpgIMG_20230219_145743.jpgIMG_20230219_155554.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Thank you very much for your tracks. I am going to do Camino Olvidado Aug 15. I watched YouTube video of Caminando o pedaleando who did Camino Olvidado with bike detoured to Cueva Ermita San Bernie. I really want to go there and I thought that I was going to walk from Quisicedo round trip.Your Tracks send me to Pedrosa de Valdeporres directly. I am very excited to do Camino Olvidado. Thanks again.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back