• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking alone May 2009

Florida girl

I am new to the forum. I plan to walk from Roncesvalles to Camino de Santiago mid May 2009. Is it safe for a female to walk alone?

How do I find other people who may be walking at that time of the year?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Maria

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is quite safe. Search the forum as there are many threads about this very subject. And, in May, you will meet many other walkers such as yourself. In fact, directly you shall likely become part of a very large "family" of them, that you will continue to see, walk off and on with, spend time in albergues with, share meals with.

Good luck and Buen Camino! (from Florida too)

here is one thread that just appeared above yours when I looked for "new topics":

camino-crime-watch/topic4204.html

I (male) have walked the Camino Frances and 1/2 the VdlP and have yet to hear of anyone being mistreated in any way. In fact, I found it quite the reverse. Perhaps another female on the forum could jump in and give you a little more insight from that gender's perspective.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As a single female, I walked from Le Puy to Santiago this year, and felt very safe the whole way. And as John says, you will soon meet a 'family' of walkers. Some you will meet only once, and others you will meet repeatedly. There are quite a few women walking alone, though it is not always that obvious, as they may be walking 'with' others for a longer or shorter time. Enjoy the walk!
Margaret

I'm female and walk the Camino Frances alone and have never had any problems. You will meet many pilgrims in Roncesvalles, and your paths will cross all the way to Santiago de Compostela. You will never be alone on the Camino unless you choose to be. It is probably one of the safest places for a woman to be as pilgrims take care of each other.

Hi Maria, like Trudy and Margaret, I have walked "alone" - twice. I am a very nervous traveller, as apart from travelling to NZ (which is really just like home - sorry Margaret) - I have never really travelled. The first time I travelled to Europe I caught the train to Toulouse and began my first Camino. Within 2 days I had made a special friend who I walked "with" for a few weeks, and by the time I got to Spain I had a "family" of about 20 people that I walked down the Aragon with, which expanded even further when I got to Puente Le Reina. I couldn't have felt safer - both the local people were only too willing to help and advise, as were my fellow pilgrims. Yes, I was on my own, but never alone - only if I chose to be. I think the feeling of safety I have when walking is one of the special attractions of the Camino. Walk and enjoy - there will be many looking out for you along the way. Buen Camino, Janet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I may be in that family of walkers! I will walk in early to mid-May 2009 from around Pamplona. I am eager to begin all the planning and so on, but it is a bit premature (for me) to get into the weeds and seeds of preparations so soon. The waiting is like waiting to have a baby! :cool:

Life is so good...

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

Ginn..... go for it!! Just be careful about when you start though. 1 May is a major holiday in Europe, and lots of people start walking then.... if you start a bit later you will avoid the bulge.
Margaret

I've walked the Camino Frances (parts of it) twice & have felt safe. Like the others have said, you quickly meet others who you will meet up with again & again, making a Camino "family", so there's always someone looking out for you on the Camino! :) Just use your common sense & you should be fine.

Buen Camino!
Kelly

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I presume you live in Florida,if so here are some recent stats for Florida for 2006:
murder 1129,rape 6475, aggravated assault 87044, violent crime 128795 etc
These figures are significantly higher than Spain-and many other countries-I'm surprised you feel safe in the US!

omar504 said:
I presume you live in Florida,if so here are some recent stats for Florida for 2006:
murder 1129,rape 6475, aggravated assault 87044, violent crime 128795 etc
These figures are significantly higher than Spain-and many other countries-I'm surprised you feel safe in the US!

Do you feel safe in Australia? Regrettably, you are not without crime in your beautiful country either!

Australia statistics, same year, 2006:

Homicide 295
Assault 166,499
Sexual Assault 18,172
Robbery 16,787
Kidnapping 730
http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/fact ... s_2006.pdf

A brief comparison of the stats indicate one is 3 times as likely to be sexually assaulted in Australia and twice as likely to be assaulted and beaten although not as likely to be killed. The populations of the two seem to be similar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
John
Of course there is crime here but I was trying to reassure Florida girl that the camino was safe. I'm sometimes surprised that Americans are apprehensive about travelling in foreign countries due to safety concerns when the US has some unfortunate crime statistics. I was interested to see the comparison of murder in Florida compared to Australia-400% higher so where would you feel safer?

You can read more about crime by country at this website:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_t ... tal-crimes

South Africa is way up there at No.7 - and at No.1 for murder with firearms, No.4 for murders, No.2 for rapes, No.2 for kidnapping, No 3 for assualts .... so I always feel soooo... safe in Spain. (But, we are No.9 for car thefts - behind Spain this time!) :(

I recall reading a report once on the number of times the police had fired their firearms in Galicia. It was 7 times in one year - 5 times to chase cattle off a main highway! Perhaps we should all move to Galicia! :lol:

omar504 said:
John
Of course there is crime here but I was trying to reassure Florida girl that the camino was safe. I'm sometimes surprised that Americans are apprehensive about travelling in foreign countries due to safety concerns when the US has some unfortunate crime statistics. I was interested to see the comparison of murder in Florida compared to Australia-400% higher so where would you feel safer?
As for the first two sentences above, it is quite common for a female to inquire as to the relative safety of an area she might visit, no matter where she might be from. That specific question is repeated frequently and seems to occupy a lot of space on the Camino forums. The answer, of course, is that the Caminos are quite safe for anyone, male or female.

But to answer your last, I would have to say Florida. I am not able to imply much faith to another's cold statistics but would rather rely instead upon my experience. For instance, I have lived in Florida most of my life and have never been a part of those quoted statistics nor am I familiar with anyone else who has been a part of them either.

I frequently travel to Melbourne, Florida and I don't recall anyplace there where i would feel uncomfortable going, something that all residents of Melbourne, Australia just might not be able share. Of course, the population densities are quite different.

I believe there is a general misconception, perhaps brought on by the violence of television, so many programs of which are from my country, that it is quite unsafe here, when actually, quite the opposite is usually true.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am 54 and have walked the Camino twice "alone" - but as frequently stated here - you're only as "alone" as you want to be and for as long as you want to be. I was never ever frightened in any way - with the notable exception of the River mentioned in another post and that had nothing to do with crime or other pilgrims on the Way. So I would tell all the other women out there who are thinking of walking, go for it! You will not be disappointed and it is perfectly safe and incredibly rewarding.

Buen Camino,

Hi!
I am a 25 year old female who is planning to walk for the first time in 2009 ( possibly in May,dont know from where yet).
I dont really want to walk alone, but unfortuantelly most of my career friends think that I am a bit crazy :D and can not join me!
So I am not looking for someone to walk with. I guess it would be more like "keeping an eye" on each other, more then actually walking together.
If you are interested let me know!
regards,
Katerina

Hello Katerina, If you are walking the Camino Frances, beleive me you will find plenty of people to befriend and be befriended by. It has been my experience that along the way people will keep an eye out for each other, and so don't worry too much about whether you connect up with someone before you go as I am sure it will happen on the way. regards, Janet

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Katerina, Janet is right. There will be pilgrims more nervous, more lonely, slower than you. Befriend them and, if necessary, slow your pace to theirs for a day or two just to help them along the way.

And I THIRD that! You will have no problem finding friends to walk with. And the nice thing about the Camino is that when you WANT to walk alone (and there may be times you do) it's simple to tell people and generally, they understand. Each walks at their own pace... then you pass them 3 days later and it's like meeting old friends!

Don't be afraid to start alone.
Take the first step.
You'll never regret it!

Hi, my name is Gitti and I walked alone from Roncesvalles to Santiago in May 2006. It was fabulous and I felt safe all the way. I was 52 then. The only uncomfortable moment was approaching Estella, where there was a guy washing a van and another guy driving a Citroen with door open and stones flying too close for comfort. Apparently he offered a ride to another female pilgrim saying " I will take you amywhere". She caught up with me and we walked together. That was the only incident and could have happened anywhere. The rest of the time, was absolutely fine. There are so many pilgrims, you never really feel alone in that sense and I have since walked the Austrian route, which was infinetely more solitary. I would do the Camino Frances again any time on my own. It is a very exhilarating and liberating experience. Gitti

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seems that there are several of us solo females starting the Camino early May. I´m walking alone also, but not concerned about it - I live in São Paulo, Brazil, ´nuff said. It will be great fun if our paths cross from time to time. I´m leaving from Roncesvalles probably around the middle of the first or second week in order to miss the 1st of May and weekend bulges. I shall have a Camino badge sewn on my pack, so say "Hi" if you spot me :) .

Hi Katerina! :D I'm a 30-year-old female and will be doing the camino for the first time and alone too. Excited as I am, I can't deny there's butterflies in my tummy. So I was really reassured by fellow pilgrims on the forum who have told me that it's generally quite safe. I think I'll probably face more danger form bed bugs!! :shock: :lol:
I'll be starting from SJPP around 28 Apr, so I'm sure I'll be seeing you along the way!

Bueno camino!
Kerry

Hi I'll also be walking alone this Spring, though I'll be starting from Le Puy in late April so I may not catch up with you lone females who are starting from Spain in late April or May.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

I'm also going to be walking alone this May - from LeĂłn to Santiago. I would love someone to walk with. Katerina, maybe I will see you there :D

Sarah from Canada

Sarah from Canada - you should read your countryman's book (Robert Ward) All The Good Pilgrims. He met so many pilgrims along the way that he came to rely on being with someone most of the time! You won't ever need to be lonely if you don't want to be. Just look out for someone more nervous, more alone than you are and offer to stay with them for a while!

I thought I was going to be walking alone, but my niece, who has the same name as me, will be walking the first 2 weeks with me in May along the Camino del Norte. This is her first camino. After that I will be alone as I was on the Frances, where I would occasionally walk with someone and on the Via, where half of it was with my son. I loved being alone and I loved being in company. That is what's nice.... you can choose.
Oh yeah, I finally decided which route and settled on del Norte. Can't wait!!
Lillian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sillydoll: thank you for your reply - I will look up that book. I guess I am just a bit nervous to be travelling internationally by myself for the first time. I've been told a million times that it is very safe etc, but it is still a bit intimidating in the sense that it will be a new experience. Right now I am planning my journey to LĂ©on - I am hoping to meet up with some other pilgrims right away, before I set off. I agree with Katerina about just wanting to have other people nearby.

Hello Jane of Norwuch, you will see many beautiful things along the Le Puy path. I walked it in August '07 and loved every minute of it. For us Australians seeing green grass in the middle of summer (when it was quite hot on some days) is quite a novelty! You will enjoy the views as you stride along the Aubrac plateau and the villages are a delight. Make sure you look up kiwinomads blog - she walked about the same time as you. Enjoy! Janet

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone!

I'll be starting the 16th of May from SJPP and this what I'm most worried about: 1) how the weather will be 2) the 1st day' s climb up the Pyrenees 3) the 2nd days climb down the Pyrenees 4) how many blisters will I have by this time the 3rd day of my camino,,,

annie

I am being way too simplistic here, but do not worry about the things you cannot change -- weather, terrain, etc.

Allay your worries about blisters by being prepared to prevent them and treat them. Prevent them with proper, well-worn shoes; a silicone foot ointment; stopping at the first sign of a "hot spot"; covering the hot spot with moleskin or Compeed; and using polypro liner socks with good wool or wool blend socks.

Treat them with Compeed and/or a sterile needle and thread (which you leave in the blister to help wick out the moisture). Unbroken blisters are less susceptible to infection, but hurt more, and eventually will break if you continue walking. So lance them, drain them, and cover them. Figure out where the friction came from and fix it.

jl said:
Hi Maria, like Trudy and Margaret, I have walked "alone" - twice. I am a very nervous traveller, as apart from travelling to NZ (which is really just like home - sorry Margaret) - I have never really travelled. The first time I travelled to Europe I caught the train to Toulouse and began my first Camino. Within 2 days I had made a special friend who I walked "with" for a few weeks, and by the time I got to Spain I had a "family" of about 20 people that I walked down the Aragon with, which expanded even further when I got to Puente Le Reina. I couldn't have felt safer - both the local people were only too willing to help and advise, as were my fellow pilgrims. Yes, I was on my own, but never alone - only if I chose to be. I think the feeling of safety I have when walking is one of the special attractions of the Camino. Walk and enjoy - there will be many looking out for you along the way. Buen Camino, Janet
:D Thanks Janet. That's really reassuring to hear as I'm going to be walking about 8 days of the walk in france from Sep 22-30th and another "leg" from 5th to 9th October before returning to NZ. It's good to know that i can feel safe walking on my own, and that i am highly likely to meet other walkers on route-i was hoping that this would be the case.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i,m walking alone in may too and awee bit nervous but the thing that scares me, is reading about the bed bugs and snorers .... this is the first time i,v been away from my kids who are not young , but not self sufficient and hope there o. k ,while i,m away ...guilt trip .. just want time to reflect on my life in christ ...hope that does,nt sound to heavy ....or scary ,,,hope weather is good though and spanish vino only ever had rojha how do you spell that i,m too lazy too look it up
buen camino
stevie from scotland

Hi Stevie,

That would be 'rioja'. :wink: Don't worry, you'lll learn how to spell it and say it and drink it! haha. And also maybe tempranillo, albariño, orujo, and patxarán!

Don't worry, you're family will get along just fine...and you deserve time for yourself. The Camino is a wonderful place to get in touch spiritually. I found the presence of God in all things on the Camino - particularly in unexpected places. Just relax and as falcon mentioned, don't worry about the things you can't control. Just consider it all to be a part of the gift that is the Camino.

Buen Camino,

Greetings to all the solo females traveling the Camino. I, too, will be journeying around the same time (mid-May) and the same route, starting point from Pamplona. I look forward to a pleasant encounter with any of you, and i am not too shy to say hello and join you for a quiet walk together. I wish you all a wonderful and peaceful camino and hopefully we shall cross paths.

Buen camino,

Adele

Deirdre thanks for that ..i,v just ordered a book by joyce rupp { walk in a relaxed manner} about her time on the camino have you read it? shes from across The pond too... p.s its amazing how loads of people ask you loads questions when you tell them your going to do the camino..and i,m looking forward to testing all the vinos i cant pronounce.....

A.M.D.G STEVIE

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.