• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking at night

frasert

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances and Portuguese
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience of walking in the evening?
I am arriving into Burgos (where I finished last time ) in the early evening and am considering walking to Tardajos and arriving 8-9 pm. I will pre-book accommodation of course
I am wondering if it is safe walking out of Burgos at night and also if it is well "arrowed"

Thanks in advance

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Meseta veery early in the morning... Out of Burgos is perhaps not recommended in the dark. The picture below is shortly after Castrojeritz (2 days or so after Burgos, after climbing the hill called "The mule killer" and on the beginning of the real Meseta), where you can't go wrong. If I were you, I would relax in Burgos and go next morning. But by all means, if you feel for it; go. I am starting myself from Burgos in 6 days from now.

DSCN0012.JPG

Depending on the time of year, it may not be all that dark leaving Burgos! Check a weather site for sunset times for your date of arrival. The route to Tardajos is pretty straight forward.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Aah Sunset is 2040h so I should be fine
Just felt like getting a short walk in as I will have been sitting all day (travelling).
Depending on the time of year, it may not be all that dark leaving Burgos! Check a weather site for sunset times for your date of arrival. The route to Tardajos is pretty straight forward.

Meseta veery early in the morning... Out of Burgos is perhaps not recommended in the dark. The picture below is shortly after Castrojeritz (2 days or so after Burgos, after climbing the hill called "The mule killer" and on the beginning of the real Meseta), where you can't go wrong. If I were you, I would relax in Burgos and go next morning. But by all means, if you feel for it; go. I am starting myself from Burgos in 6 days from now.
Well I'll be leaving in 8-9 days and definitely won't catch up!

Most of the Camino is still in a semi-urban area for that stretch, except for the part that is torn up for construction of a highway, the marking were difficult to follow last year and the path is really convoluted to make room for the highway work. It was the same way 3 years ago when the path detour took a completely different route.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As Don notes the camino west from Burgos is quite a meander! At dusk it should be VERY atmospheric as you pass near the old penitentiary with its central dome/panopticon plan and cross many pastures bordering the 'current works' of unfinished highway overpasses which last November appeared almost dystopian. There are some yellow arrows but not many!

Since you plan to stop at Tardajos do consider staying at La Fabrica , an old flour mill recently re-purposed to be an albergue/hostal; it is a GREAT find. Each heated albergue dorm room holds 4 pilgrims with fresh linens on the bunks and a sleek toilet/shower adjacent. The price per bunk was 12 euros including breakfast. Regular tourist accommodation is also available. Reservations are possible. The busy ground floor bar/dining room was popular with locals as well as visiting hunters and the food was copious, tasty and good value.

Buen camino!

My favorite story about walking at night was in a conversation I had with a young German couple I shared dinner with one night in Sahagun. They asked me if I knew about the people who walk the Camino at night, I took the bait and said I had no idea there was such a group of pilgrims. They proceeded to tell me that when these pilgrims arrive in Santiago the Compostela they receive is a piece of black paper.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience of walking in the evening?
I am arriving into Burgos (where I finished last time ) in the early evening and am considering walking to Tardajos and arriving 8-9 pm. I will pre-book accommodation of course
I am wondering if it is safe walking out of Burgos at night and also if it is well "arrowed"

Thanks in advance
I would have no qualms about walking this stretch alone in the evening time. It should be bright for most, if not all of your walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked from Villafranca to Pintin in one 24 hour session.

Make sure you have your headlamp and extra batteries.

I've often walked until 9 and later on various caminos, though usually unintentionally I might add. On the more popular routes it can be a rare opportunity for solitude and engagement with one's surroundings. Unless staying in a hotel and paying up in advance you may not be sure of accommodation on arrival at such a time. This adds a certain frisson of chance to the evening arrival. Keep your wits about you in the dark, watch your step and make sure your phone is fully charged

Thanks for all the good advice and particularly re La Fabrica it looks perfect!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since you plan to stop at Tardajos do consider staying at La Fabrica , an old flour mill recently re-purposed to be an albergue/hostal; it is a GREAT find. Each heated albergue dorm room holds 4 pilgrims with fresh linens on the bunks and a sleek toilet/shower adjacent. The price per bunk was 12 euros including breakfast. Regular tourist accommodation is also available. Reservations are possible. The busy ground floor bar/dining room was popular with locals as well as visiting hunters and the food was copious, tasty and good value.

Buen camino!

Their website looks really nice. It looks like it is about 10 K past Burgos. Does that sound right?

Yes it does. However the camino late last year had a few extra turns and detours due to unfinished construction. Be prepared to loop the loop!

MM

Most of the Camino is still in a semi-urban area for that stretch, except for the part that is torn up for construction of a highway, the marking were difficult to follow last year and the path is really convoluted to make room for the highway work. It was the same way 3 years ago when the path detour took a completely different route.

We found the path out of Burgos very confusing because of construction in August 2014. And the large trucks working on the dry dirt road was awful. But we made it to La Fabrica...a very nice place. They have done a great job renovating and the food is good and the showers amazing. We were in room with 2 buck beds and a bathroom. And the family very friendly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cities are usually the hardest part to navigate - harder in diminishing light or with light in your eyes as you walk towards the sun. Also I'm sure you are aware that albergues lock up relatively early (for a country that dines so late).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.