• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking companion for VdlP april 2018

ellen.tess.genna

ellencamino
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Via de la Plata (2018)
Hi everyone, this is my first post (apologies if its in the wrong place) but im about to start the via de la plata in a few days; looking at april 12 to walk out of seville.

i walked the camino frances in 2015 and i suspect that was a very different experience due to the nature and exposure of that route.

im actually really nervous about starting vdlp after reading about some of the sections on here - even day one seville to guillena. im OK at navigation but relied quite heavily on the arrows on the frances (and having more frequent options to rest or sleep was such a luxury). i was also surprised by how much i enjoyed the company of fellow pilgrims in 2015 (being the introvert i am) i will be sorry if i dont see another soul for days this time around.

im wondering if anyone else is planning to depart seville on the 12th or 13th and maybe wouldn't mind a walking companion?

gracias,
Ellen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hopefully, someone will see this and you can get a companion for the first couple of days.
Your experience on the CF will get you through...and you will find other pilgrims. April is not a big month for the VdlP..but there are many there.
The VdlP sounds more daunting than it really is. There are some long days...but they can be broken if you do not insist on finding an albergue every night.
Keep us informed how you are doing. Let us know if you find others along the route.

thank you, your message gives me some confidence. im particularly nervous aboit day one as i said and day two through thr national park - if its not well marked i worry ill just be lost to it.

can you clarify as well what you mean by if i dont insist on albergues? are there hotels along the way? i dont have appropriate gear to camp outside.

im also surprised, i was under the impression april/may was a common time to walk this canino as its the beginning of spring. i canr believe i misread about that. i feel like im relying on my experince of the frances too much and have not adequately planned for the vdlp

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will find pensions and small hotels along the way. If you see a sign "Hostal it will be a pension type accomodatiion. Are you using a guide? They often list the alternative options. Bars very often have rooms to rent above. Ask the bartender.

Kanga...a long time experienced Peregrina (from Oz) is starting the VdlP very soon and will have some tips for you as I am sure she has done some recent research.

One tip I would pass on is to do not hesitate to taxi forward or back if you feel in the least bit uncomfortable with your surroundings or your ability to continue on any given day. If you are a purist (I tend to be) and are horrified by the thought of a taxi...just return to where you left off the day before.

Stay brave and enjoy your adventure.

Hi everyone, this is my first post (apologies if its in the wrong place) but im about to start the via de la plata in a few days; looking at april 12 to walk out of seville.

i walked the camino frances in 2015 and i suspect that was a very different experience due to the nature and exposure of that route.

im actually really nervous about starting vdlp after reading about some of the sections on here - even day one seville to guillena. im OK at navigation but relied quite heavily on the arrows on the frances (and having more frequent options to rest or sleep was such a luxury). i was also surprised by how much i enjoyed the company of fellow pilgrims in 2015 (being the introvert i am) i will be sorry if i dont see another soul for days this time around.

im wondering if anyone else is planning to depart seville on the 12th or 13th and maybe wouldn't mind a walking companion?

gracias,
Ellen
I am also doing the VDLP but am leaving Seville on June 3 or 4, too bad nevertheless you will enjoy this route. I did it in 2014, buen Camino

€46,-
Hi, ellen.tess.genna,

For most of us, no matter how many caminos we walk, there are always pre-departure nerves and jitters, so you should not be surprised to be feeling the way you do.

April is a very popular month on the Vdlp, so you are likely to have company. I have walked twice in spring, and the flowers are absolutely gorgeous. With all the rain that has fallen this year, you should have spectacular flowers and emerald green fields.

I am not sure what you are referring to about the stage from Sevilla to Guillena. You may have seen a lot of discussion from years ago about repeated robberies on a slightly lonely part of the stage after Italica. That problem ended with the arrest of the attackers. Or maybe you are talking about flooding, but you should be able to find out what the status of the arroyo is before you get there.

I've walked that stage through the national park twice now, and there was never any marking problem (and rest assured that if there were a marking problem, I would have known about it, because I am very good at getting lost with the least bit of provocation).

So, just to wish you well and to send the thought that I bet that these jitters will disappear when you take your first few steps from the Sevilla cathedral. Enjoy! buen camino, Laurie

@ellen.tess.genna hi! I’m arriving in Madrid on 25 April with the intention of walking the VdlP. I haven’t quite decided whether to start in Seville or Merida. If Merida we should be about the same stage, otherwise I’ll be close behind you. I’m like @peregrina2000 - always a bit nervous before I start, and the first day can be stressful (particularly if jet lagged) but once on the road and walking I settle down. My greatest triumphs are internal - coping with the unexpected and finding creative solutions. You’ll do the same. It can be very empowering! During the first few stages from Seville my only concern re the route is that I’ll be very unfit to start and so for the long stage out of Castilblanco - I’m planning to catch a taxi to the start of the park. Hopefully sharing with a few others.

2 Norwegians, one man and one female, is starting from Seville 11.04. Perhaps you will meet them on your way, Emmy and Bjørn from the north of Norway.
The day through the Natinal Park, day 3¿., is well marked. The trouble is if the two arroyos are too big to pass, but as I have seen they have closed the park this spring in heavy rain. My big issue on the VDLP was the two arroyos in the National Park. Bring croqs or things like that to wade the arroyos with, there are some of them along the way and in spring the water is mostly higher than your boots.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And buen camino! Most of us have bad feelings before a new camino, but work it out most times.

I’ll be in my sandals crossing creeks - or even barefoot.

Kanga...a long time experienced Peregrina (from Oz) is starting the VdlP very soon and will have some tips for you as I am sure she has done some recent research.

One tip I would pass on is to do not hesitate to taxi forward or back if you feel in the least bit uncomfortable with your surroundings or your ability to continue on any given day. If you are a purist (I tend to be) and are horrified by the thought of a taxi...just return to where you left off the day before.

Stay brave and enjoy your adventure.

i dont know much spanish aside from the bare minimal wprds i picked up on the frances (ive tried learning but languages dont reelly click for me). what is the best way to ask a bartender for a bed - my go to would be "albergue por favour?" and point ubove hopdully) and what is the best way to get a taxi - esp if its afternoon in a small town during siesta? is it best to just wait outside a bar until it opens to ask for help?

also is it common for drivers to stop and soeak to pilgrims when walking besidw thw road - it might sound irrational but with all the high way walking im a bit worried that someone (not a taxi) will offer a lift and not acceot no as an answer. has anyone ever encountered this on the vdlp or know anyone who has?

i meant to say yes i have a copy of gerald kellys guide, 2016. reading it is making me quiet nervous. i really liked brierlys frances guide book, wish he haf a vdlp one!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am also doing the VDLP but am leaving Seville on June 3 or 4, too bad nevertheless you will enjoy this route. I did it in 2014, buen Camino
it's a shame we error cross paths - ill be interested tp hear what similaritiesand differences you find between 2014 and 2018. buen camino.

Hi, ellen.tess.genna,

For most of us, no matter how many caminos we walk, there are always pre-departure nerves and jitters, so you should not be surprised to be feeling the way you do.

April is a very popular month on the Vdlp, so you are likely to have company. I have walked twice in spring, and the flowers are absolutely gorgeous. With all the rain that has fallen this year, you should have spectacular flowers and emerald green fields.

I am not sure what you are referring to about the stage from Sevilla to Guillena. You may have seen a lot of discussion from years ago about repeated robberies on a slightly lonely part of the stage after Italica. That problem ended with the arrest of the attackers. Or maybe you are talking about flooding, but you should be able to find out what the status of the arroyo is before you get there.

I've walked that stage through the national park twice now, and there was never any marking problem (and rest assured that if there were a marking problem, I would have known about it, because I am very good at getting lost with the least bit of provocation).

So, just to wish you well and to send the thought that I bet that these jitters will disappear when you take your first few steps from the Sevilla cathedral. Enjoy! buen camino, Laurie

im the same! some of my reading suggests the yellow arrows are easy to miss out if sevilla. thats my main concern. also would you recommend walking by the river or through camas? im leaning towards camas as i figure its easier to navigate but the idea od walking through industrial area is very unappealing.

2 Norwegians, one man and one female, is starting from Seville 11.04. Perhaps you will meet them on your way, Emmy and Bjørn from the north of Norway.
The day through the Natinal Park, day 3¿., is well marked. The trouble is if the two arroyos are too big to pass, but as I have seen they have closed the park this spring in heavy rain. My big issue on the VDLP was the two arroyos in the National Park. Bring croqs or things like that to wade the arroyos with, there are some of them along the way and in spring the water is mostly higher than your boots.

the albergue stagg in guillena shpuld be able ro tell me if the streams are too high to cross in the morning right? as i only have flip flops id havw ro cross them barefoot which seems a bit risky - maybe i will have ro taxi past this stage.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thank you all for your speedy replies. i have two more questions/ concerns ugg you wouldn't mind helping me out;
1. i dobt spwak spanish. languages have never stuck fir me. all i know are a few words i picked up on the French way: tienda, supermarkado, albergue, por favour, gracias, hola. very basic, im not heat at understanding is spoken either.
2. are the markets fairy constant and are they generally easy to spot? do they obly already at intersections/cross roads or do they pop up to assure you your I the right path even when there's no other option to walk (like in the frances)? i relied so heavily on them laat time the idea they might be scarce thus time is a bit intimidating - i havent been able to discern much from Gerald kellys guide re this.

i watched saras vlogs from earlier this year, it looked like there has bern some way mark tampering. heard of this?

thank you all again. very gratful fir your time spent responding

Hi @ellen.tess.genna
I've walked the VdlP/Sanabrés twice, the section from Sevilla to Mérida actually a third time and I never got lost. Arrows are not as ubiquitous as on the Francés but enough. You will need to train your eyes to look down as they seem to place many arrows on sidewalks at street level.

There is very little road walking on the Plata, except for the famous 16 km leaving Castilblanco before reaching the park so I don't suspect that you will be stop by passing cars. And on that stretch the locals are used to seeing pilgrims along the road. I actually didn't mind the walk although I was very pleased when I arrived at the entrance to the park.

One year I walked in February and had to traverse the arroyos but never took off my shoes and just wadded through. A fellow walker did but after seeing me decided to do the same! There has been a lot of rain this year but hopefully the arroyos will be much drier when you head out.

Just a heads-up - the municipal albergue in Almaden de la Plata is closed due to fire damage but there is a private Hostal (or 2) In town.

It will be a totally different experience than the Francés but you won't be alone. I've never walked in the spring but I hear that April/May is a popular month.

Ultreia!

Hi Ellen, my sister and I are walking the VDLP now so we won’t be seeing you, but I wanted to let you know of an absolutely wonderful alberque in Mombuey on the Sanabres if you choose to go that way instead of into Astorga. It’s called El Pajar near the church. The woman who runs it is a delight, there are towels and sheets, a washer and dryer and it’s just plain cozy and wonderful. It has 5 beds and was new this past July. Also, before Mombuey, in Villar de Farfón, Alberque Rehoboth is also a delightful alberque. We found Craig extremely interesting and friendly and the alberque is one of the best. It has 4 beds. Despite the unusually cold weather, we find the VDLP beautiful and interesting. We haven’t gotten lost on the trail despite the fact that we are directionally impaired. We have lost our way in villages, but people are friendly and point us in the right direction. You’ll love the experience. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

gracias,
Ellen
Hi Ellen, You will probably meet others but it certainly is the path less walked. We walked in step/oct and met only about 20 other pilgrims. We followed the blog of another person walking ahead of us as the Guidebook was not the best. You can read my blog if you like. It might help...www.margaretcaffyn.com.au
I absolutely loved the VDLP. It is rugged and so varied. Make sure you have plenty of water and some snacks. There are hardly any cafes or supermarkets. It’s nothing like the Frances
Buen Camino! You will love it!

Heading off in a week to start from Salamanca. Hoping to get credentials there. I am hoping to meet a few other English speakers in the evenings at least. Otherwise I might have to hightail it over to the Portuguese

@cindyjo thank you for your recommendations and @maggiec and everyone for taking the time to reply, i really do appreciate it and it's eased my mind more than i can explain.

what is the best way to share updates - to start a thread or blog elsewhere (if blog, any mobile friendly recs)?

buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking forward to hearing about your trip as I am looking at the VdlP as one of my options for next April 2019. One poster on this thread said April is not a popular time to start from Sevilla, but others said it was. In what month do the most pilgrims leave Sevilla on the VdlP?

Oh, and re. routefinding... is there not a mobile app for the VdlP like WisePilgrim for other routes?

Heading off in a week to start from Salamanca. Hoping to get credentials there. I am hoping to meet a few other English speakers in the evenings at least. Otherwise I might have to hightail it over to the Portuguese

Wish you luck with other English speakers. When I walked in July (2x) I was the only native English speaker and was very happy that I spoke Spanish. But who knows that Santiago has in store for you:)

@JillGat from my talks with hospitaleros along the Plata I have always heard that April/May and September are the busiest months. Apparently in May the albergues can fill up. On all my Plata walks I have never been with more than a handful or two of pilgrims in an albergue but then again I have never walked during these months.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wish you luck with other English speakers. When I walked in July (2x) I was the only native English speaker and was very happy that I spoke Spanish. But who knows that Santiago has in store for you:)

@JillGat from my talks with hospitaleros along the Plata I have always heard that April/May and September are the busiest months. Apparently in May the albergues can fill up. On all my Plata walks I have never been with more than a handful or two of pilgrims in an albergue but then again I have never walked during these months.

There was no problem. Plenty of English speakers tho not many English. Best part of this walk is that you get to know pretty much everyone else walking as really so few compared to other routes.

I am using paid apps, Via de la plata Premium updated in 2017 and Sanabres Way Premium updated in 2017 currently.

I am using paid apps, Via de la plata Premium updated in 2017 and Sanabres Way Premium updated in 2017 currently.
I just used the free maps.me with the GPS route I got from a thread on here and the gronze site. Gronze is in Spanish but the browser on my phone translated it into good English automatically.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking the last 100 km from Ourense this month. Any recommendations on apps that can guide us?

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back