Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Barxa to Salcedo

Glenshiro

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SdC, Podiensis, Frances, Invierno 2012-23
I have booked a room at Hotel O Forno in Salcedo. (A story in itself!)
Wise Pilgrim notes that "If you prefer to walk there, you can follow a marked trail from Barxa de Lor"
Has anyone done this, and, if so, how well marked is the trail?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just looked this up out of curiosity on Mapy.cz as the name Salcedo didn't ring any bells. Looks like there are a couple of paths going up quite steeply from the river valley, but they both start about 1km before Barxa de Lor, at either O Xanelo or A Lama. Looks like both start out as small roads/tracks and then quickly become paths. Once you've climbed up to the ridge line and the plateau at Beiran, there appears to be a straight road/track of about 2.5km right into Salcedo. I'm sure @wisepilgrim will be along shortly to explain..

I just looked this up out of curiosity on Mapy.cz as the name Salcedo didn't ring any bells. Looks like there are a couple of paths going up quite steeply from the river valley, but they both start about 1km before Barxa de Lor, at either O Xanelo or A Lama. Looks like both start out as small roads/tracks and then quickly become paths. Once you've climbed up to the ridge line and the plateau at Beiran, there appears to be a straight road/track of about 2.5km right into Salcedo. I'm sure @wisepilgrim will be along shortly to explain..
Thanks, Tom. I'd had a look at those, too - quite a stiff climb!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wise Pilgrim notes that "If you prefer to walk there, you can follow a marked trail from Barxa de Lor"

There have been several forum discussions of how to get to Salcedo from the camino. You can find them searching with Barxa and Salcedo.

There is an off-road trail that turns off the camino soon after you cross the bridge at Barxa de Lor. I had thought that would be what I would try if I ever had to go to Salcedo. But @laineylainey had a difficult time of it.

This set of wikiloc tracks has a circular route, and the right side must be the trail that turns off the camino.

On another thread, we discussed these options, and my conclusion was:

I think the easiest way to get to Salcedo is to take the right turn on the road at Castroncelos, a few kms before A Pobra, and just walk there. That junction is right on the Camino. Salcedo is about 3 1/2 kms off the camino from Castroncelos, but Castroncelos is 2 kms before A Pobra. So walking to Salcedo adds 1.5 km to your day’ walk as compared to if you were walking into A Pobra. The next day you could just take the direct route into A Pobra from Salcedo, which is 5 km. Pobra to Monforte is less than 13, so that still would give you a very low mileage day. I think a lot of the people who have taken rides there didn’t really do the math to realize that it is not much of an added distance to just walk, and much more convenient than waiting for people to come get you.

I have written to the person who recorded the wikiloc tracks for info on the trail option, especially in light of @laineylainey ’s experience. I’ll report back.

Many thanks for your very helpful guidance. I'm considering Pension Pacita in Barxa instead.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back