Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking from home!

sulu

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
a few since 2010
Tomorrow I start my version of the camino de Invierno, I will walk from home to Montefurado and start the camino proper from there. The weather is still pretty warm, I suspect the first 3 days will be a test of my abilities, but i am packed and ready to go. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen camino, sulu,

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. When I walked the Invierno two summers ago, the signage was new and perfect. Wondering how the maintenance has been. Did you manage to find the arrows when necessary? Your Invierno starts with the bang of three long days in a row after Quiroga. So much beauty though, I bet the vineyards on the Minho are gorgeous this time of year.

Enjoy! Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. When I walked the Invierno two summers ago, the signage was new and perfect. Wondering how the maintenance has been. Did you manage to find the arrows when necessary? Your Invierno starts with the bang of three long days in a row after Quiroga. So much beauty though, I bet the vineyards on the Minho are gorgeous this time of year.

Well I did it. The signage is pretty good. Over the next couple of days I will try to get my head together and make some sensible comments, at the moment I am just recovering. I have managed to post my ramblings on my blog, plus some photos http://notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com
Sue

Great blog, sulu.

I think I know exactly where you got lost in between Monforte and Chantada. My notes say that all was well untill Pineira -- I remember that place had a nice fountain/rest stop area. But from there to the hamlet of Camino Grande it was all brambles, muddy green tunnels and lots of criss-crossing paths. Somehow I lucked out and emerged on the Camino path.

Sorry you missed Diamondi, but I imagine getting back there is easy for you, unlike people like me who live thousands of miles away! I do think that they need to put a clearer sign at the bus stop where the descent to the Mino begins. Because the church is about a 1 1/2 minute walk straight on from that point. But as the arrows point you down, many won't know to go looking for it until it's obvious they've missed it and they are half way down on the Codos de Belesar.

I think we must have eaten in the same restaurant in Chantada, and I also was in an awful pension there! If you have updates for the CSJ guide (that is, if you used it), send them to me or Rebekah.

Those strange looking markers you photographed seem to be all along the Vdlp in the province of Ourense. Apparently they are the creation of a well-known local artist.

Anyway, thanks for the updates and for sharing your experience on the Invierno, and on the Vdlp. And now starting in Toulouse, lucky you. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have updates for the CSJ guide (that is, if you used it), send them to me or Rebekah.
I only walked 3 days of the Camino de Invierno but the signs looked new, all in good condition. I didn’t use the CSJ guide; I used a combination of your notes, Laurie, and those of Aida Menéndez.
From Montefurado to Quiroga was well signed, no problems.
Quiroga to Monforte - The hopitalero in Quiroga told me that there had been ‘discussions’, between the councils of San Clodio and Quiroga as to the correct route. San Clodio was the historic route but, because of the reservoir, there is no way back if you cross the bridge, so, rather than add extra kilometres to an already long stage the Xunta have come down in favour of Quiroga. All the signs go straight ahead from Quiroga.
At km 29, where the road crosses the LU933 crosses the N120 towards Nocedo, there are signs to take an underpass, I took it, but I wished I hadn’t, it is pretty grotty and unnecessary as the road I quiet and easy to cross. The ‘luscious’ grass shoulder after Nocedo was not in evidence. I think they may have put up a new crash barrier; I had to walk along the edge of the road, but only for a little bit. The rest was fine.
Monforte to Chantada – my problems were all around A Vide. I don’t know what the CSJ guide says. Aida says that the camino leaves the road after crossing the village, I took this literally and went into the village, which is what the ‘mojón’ seemed to indicate. Wrong, stay on the road. Then there is a narrow path to the right, very overgrown at this time of year, then across a narrow water channel, turn left, under a road and then under an aqueduct. The path then turns left, the mojón has been vandalised and what Aida calls ‘a wide earth path’ is now overgrown. This is where I got confused. From Piñeiro there were not many signs but it was clear which was the main path, it had been well used recently and there was no mud. The only mud was coming into Monforte.
I do think that they need to put a clearer sign at the bus stop where the descent to the Mino begins. Because the church is about a 1 1/2 minute walk straight on from that point. But as the arrows point you down, many won't know to go looking for it until it's obvious they've missed it and they are half way down on the Codos de Belesar.
That would be helpful, as you say I can get back easily and there are a couple of things I would like to have a better look at.
Sue

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...
Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back