• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Walking from L'Isle Jourdain

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan and Frances 04/24
I started hiking the Camino in L’Isle Jourdain on Monday. I’d like to post pictures but don’t know where without incapacitating the server of this forum.

The Pyrenees in the background.

Attachments

• 1407D6A4-2C6B-4C0C-8300-BEFEF2E6CF4D.jpeg
    1407D6A4-2C6B-4C0C-8300-BEFEF2E6CF4D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 70E42F69-34DD-4755-B4BC-77447082E736.jpeg
    70E42F69-34DD-4755-B4BC-77447082E736.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 31
  • E8206E8E-616A-4A12-A1A7-2E0F5BBEE6FF.jpeg
    E8206E8E-616A-4A12-A1A7-2E0F5BBEE6FF.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 6E15E038-C400-4008-8010-6E5876D03E3D.jpeg
    6E15E038-C400-4008-8010-6E5876D03E3D.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 05FCE197-F4A5-4694-97D2-0B1BAFCBA2C5.jpeg
    05FCE197-F4A5-4694-97D2-0B1BAFCBA2C5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 120
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have hiked and walked through AUCH, à rather difficult experience, 31 kms from Montégut. Barran was extremely interesting with its old village. Next day from Ile de Noe to Monlezun, short of Marciac with a broken back due to the additional weight of the CPAC machine and the guide Miam Miam Dodo that added over 2 kilos. I need to eliminate but what?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, @FireDragon for the posts. I have moved them from the local walks thread over here to the Voie de Arles forum, and added a LIVE from the Camino prefix. Do I have that correct? This way, you can add to the thread as you walk, and the thread will be available here for people searching in the future for information on this route..

Thanks, @FireDragon for the posts. I have moved them from the local walks thread over here to the Voie de Arles forum, and added a LIVE from the Camino prefix. Do I have that correct? This way, you can add to the thread as you walk, and the thread will be available here for people searching in the future for information on this route..
Thank you, @C clearly

When you get to Spain you may not need your Miami Miami Dodo. Maybe use an app like Buen Camino? There's only a few places to stay on the French Way through Aragon so no need for a big guide book on that stretch.

PS How is new CPAP working out?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
When you get to Spain you may not need your Miami Miami Dodo. Maybe use an app like Buen Camino? There's only a few places to stay on the French Way through Aragon so no need for a big guide book on that stretch.

PS How is new CPAP working out?
It is working fine although louder than the CPAP machine at home. I have separated the machine from the transformer and the mask. Trying to eliminate again some potential items before leaving for good on Tuesday.
I have used the Buen Camino app: I will write them so that they correct the area for walking around Auch and the road construction of the super highway from Auch to L’Isle Jourdain. Repacking at the moment.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh nice. P M me if you want a link to my guide to the Tours East variant

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is a long day of walking!
i left a pilgrim lady at the gîte who is going to Santiago. She walks with a cart on wheels. Left at 9 am and arrived in MORLAAS at 6pm. I do not know how she managed to reach ANOYE given the stretches of mud, hills in high grass. About one hour after leaving the gîte, I started to feel guilty not walking with her as she was alone. On the other hand, given her cart, would not have made it here tonight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I received a reply concerning accommodation at the Col du Somport -Aysa (Spain) as follows:
hola,lo sentimos,hasta mediados de mayo el albergue estarácerrado entre semana,solamente estaráabierto la noche del viernes y sábado.
Puede usted dirigirse a Canfranc donde dispone de varios alojamientos,albergues y hoteles…
Un saludo
Aysa

TRANSLATION
Hello, we are sorry, until mid-May the hostel will be closed during the week, it will only be open on Friday and Saturday night.

You can go to Canfranc where you have several accommodations, shelters and hotels...

Bye

Aysa

Last summer, many pilgrims were encouraged to take the bus on the French side before Somport Pass due to some kind of road construction. Signs were up saying it would be dangerous to walk the road. I will be interested to hear if that is still the case as you are walking.

Last summer, many pilgrims were encouraged to take the bus on the French side before Somport Pass due to some kind of road construction. Signs were up saying it would be dangerous to walk the road. I will be interested to hear if that is still the case as you are walking.
The weather predictions call for lots of rain for Saturday to Monday. We will see how things go..and act in accordance. Tomorrow, Lescar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lescar is a lovely place to stay. One of the nicest Albergues on the Arles route, and once the capital city, not Pau. There is a grocery store next door, too.

Lescar is a lovely place to stay. One of the nicest Albergues on the Arles route, and once the capital city, not Pau. There is a grocery store next door, too.
Arrived from Morlaas through the very serious Forêt de Bastard (Bastard Forest) and the backlash of 32 km yesterday gave in when asking for directions to a bus driver, accepted his offer to take his bus and follow his instructions to find the IBIS BUDGET HOTEL. Very kind bus chauffeur who wrote everything on a piece of paper. I am lying on my bed writing this post, and wondering what will I eat tonight as there is strictly no cafés or small bistrots or eatery’s around. There is a Truffaut across the street but have not learned to eat flowers or insects yet. Guess this morning’s white bread leftover from breakfast will have to do.
It is the first time that I enter a fully automatic hotel with check In that is automatic, entering one’s room similarly…
Tommorow 21 km staying at a gîte before the climb to OLORON Sainte-Marie.
I wonder how the VERDOUZE lady is doing climbing the steep hills from ANOYE today with her carriage and water backpack.

Arrived from Morlaas through the very serious Forêt de Bastard (Bastard Forest) and the backlash of 32 km yesterday gave in when asking for directions to a bus driver, accepted his offer to take his bus and follow his instructions to find the IBIS BUDGET HOTEL. Very kind bus chauffeur who wrote everything on a piece of paper. I am lying on my bed writing this post, and wondering what will I eat tonight as there is strictly no cafés or small bistrots or eatery’s around. There is a Truffaut across the street but have not learned to eat flowers or insects yet. Guess this morning’s white bread leftover from breakfast will have to do.
It is the first time that I enter a fully automatic hotel with check In that is automatic, entering one’s room similarly…
Tommorow 21 km staying at a gîte before the climb to OLORON Sainte-Marie.
I wonder how the VERDOUZE lady is doing climbing the steep hills from ANOYE today with her carriage and water backpack.
If you are at the Ibis Budget in Pau, looks like a couple of eateries showing up on Google not too far away?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just returned from exploring. No McDonalds,or KFC, just a sandwich this evening to keep sugar levels down. The heat is amazing out there with temperatures in the sun already over 30*C.

I wonder if my intuition is not starting to kick in, seriously. When leaving MORLAAS, the other day, I felt that something was awry. That feeling kept on gnawing at me until I reached Ibis hotel in LESCAR. I had forgotten the white Apple charger and cord on the white bedspread.
Yesterday, my intention was to walk from LESCAR to ESTIALESQ. Arrived in LA COMMNDE, talked to a pilgrim already there, refilled my water bottle and set off. Two minutes into the walk, the same weird feeling that something was not right started to pester me. I took off my rucksack and to my horror, saw that my blue CIMALP vest was no longer attached. Ran back and talked to the pilgrims there who informed me that there was a blue vest hung on a tree about 20 minutes away. Failure to find it meant a potential stop. I started to walk rapidly on the path that I had just walked down without really thinking, ( left passport, money and much more in my bag), scared and enraged of my stupidity and 8 minutes into the return trip, who comes with her cart? The pilgrim that I had met earlier in VIDOUZE! She looked at me and sweetly asked if there was a reason for my running. With a cheeky smile, she asked me whether by any chance, « I had lost something »? She had my vest neatly tied down on her cart!
I have never been happier to see her and my vest. The consequences of that was to stay in a real French dormitory last night. New experience and not particularly enthralling at this point in time.
I was grateful to walk from LA COMMANDe to OLORON SAINTE MARIE today.
I am feeling more confident in my walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
La Commande64F3F2D3-FDB0-463D-8C66-D476AA84774D.jpegFC55739D-1B55-443F-840D-D6EA60CCC4DC.jpeg19B707EC-B481-4527-ACA6-18684E786111.jpeg49E2D20F-B798-4296-BC86-81A9AD12BDB2.jpeg

Attachments

• B7BE1F4F-FB17-481C-8768-41AC56A4DA79.jpeg
    B7BE1F4F-FB17-481C-8768-41AC56A4DA79.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7D4F368D-E9A1-4380-BE4E-87DAC5B737CA.jpeg
    7D4F368D-E9A1-4380-BE4E-87DAC5B737CA.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 1
  • EA5B1FAB-D194-404F-BBB7-8FADCA9BFC4D.jpeg
    EA5B1FAB-D194-404F-BBB7-8FADCA9BFC4D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 95991958-3571-47D1-BEC1-91110A8718A3.jpeg
    95991958-3571-47D1-BEC1-91110A8718A3.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 6
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It happens. Phil and I left all our chargers the first night of our first Camino, each thinking the other had packed them. We walked from Orrison to Pamplona without chargers that year...bought one there. Phil left his charger in 2021 and had to buy a new one in Sahagun.

It happens. Phil and I left all our chargers the first night of our first Camino, each thinking the other had packed them. We walked from Orrison to Pamplona without chargers that year...bought one there. Phil left his charger in 2021 and had to buy a new one in Sahagun.
It is the intuition that needs to make one stop and think before trouble occurs.

After a while on the road, you will begin to put things in the same place every time and go through a mental checklist. I always consider everything in my pack "disposible" although some things less so than others (such as CPAP, Medications). I keep all my money, credential, and identification with me at all times so it is less easy to lose those.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I checked with the other 5 pilgrims at the dormitory this morning, and no one made any comment about my CPAP machine although it makes more noise than the one at home. Tonight, small hotel in OLORON unwilling to let me use their clothes drier for a scant 10 minutes. Small hotels in France still have a long way to go to reach German, Swiss, or US standards.

The US hotels usually won't let you use their clothes dryers either unless there is some kind of special laundromat for guests.

The gîtes are more ready to help out with drying clothes, methinks.

A fellow Dutch pilgrim and I met a couple who explained the notion of FAKE PILGRIMS, the reason that they no longer cater to pilgrims rather to booking customers. According to them, there are people without scruples who arrive in villages in this area, have a backpack ready and use municipal and pilgrim gites. It sounded preposterous and the lady with which we talked showed us articles as early as 2015 of those people

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, that is completely true. In Canfranc Pueblo we often had non-pilgrims who wanted to stay with us last summer. It is a popular tourism area and people want a cheap bed. Plus that albergue is nice and very new. One of the nicest one's I have every stayed or worked in on the Camino.

My Gosh…first experience in walking in a deluge. I was happy to leave OLORON-SAINTE-MARIE and hope it’s the last time that I go there. Walking from the SNCF railroad station to Sainte Croix located above OLORON-SAINTE-MARIE was interesting as after the steps leading to the other cathedral, it’s basically moderately uphill especially when the rain blows in your face.
Got lost and stopped to talk to various people, a lady at the dump, a man on a Club Cadet tractor mower and people in ESCOT.

The number of crosses in this area is impressive, especially the wooden ones. I have been wondering whether to talk about those crosses and the people who erected them however this is the type of post that could be misconstrued. The story is about « a lost people » who live here in Southwestern France and northern Spain, a people who were considered lepers and placed in leprosies under such names as Saint Christou, etc Such discrimination existed that these people were obliged to go to mass using doors that were made for them Usually located on the sides of the churches. The church of Lurbe Saint Christou placed here is typical. Let me say that these people were called « cagots » . The shame that these people had to endure by entire villages, is amazing. Such was the discrimination that intermarriage was the norm since the Middle Ages. More on this later if interested…

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The architecture of buildings and churches is extremely interesting and shows various influences. I am amazed at how house wallle are built with rounded stones. The church located at ESCOT that I have placed here reminds me of non French, non Béarnais, not Basque either and not Spanish architecture but of Germanic influences. 028993A9-7DBC-41D4-B39B-6C138FF207C9.jpegDCFDA558-1D03-4182-B3E5-D4234C204E0E.jpegAAA37BC5-77B2-4736-B851-B8A04804C033.jpeg2603B35E-36E6-4420-8F7F-6708F0D183ED.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for your posts @FireDragon. I'll be walking to Somport later this year and I'm interested in the status of the route/path during those final stages. Buen Camino~
You should be aware that from ESCOUT to SARANNCE today, the regular chemin became dangerous due to heavy rains. I will be leaving no later than 8 o’clock tomorrow to BEDOUS and to CETTE EYGUN to try to avoid the lightening and heavy rains predicted for 15:00.
I heard that there was very little heating n the Sarrance Monastery, so I would recommend that if you are planning a stop here to do so at Les Pas Sages as their rooms are comfortable and the Demi pension is great.
Thank you for your good wishes.

Stay safe! If it's that bad get the bus. Or take a rest day?
I will take the bus from BORCE, actually ETSAUT, and at the Col du Somport will walk down to Villanua. Let’s hope my lower back pain will lessen. Two nights after planned in Jaca.
Some pictures taken today…in a later post..

Last edited:
When you leave SARRANCE for the BORCE area, you have two choices, taking the chemin or the road N134. I took the road given the landslide and the real possibility of rain. I was blessed to receive a few drops of rain but otherwise nothing serious. The trouble is that there are areas of the road without curbs. This means that for several kilometres, you are walking on the tarmac against ongoing traffic. On a Sunday, that can be acceptableIMG_1537.jpegIMG_1538.jpegIMG_1541.jpegIMG_1543.jpegIMG_1545.jpegIMG_1547.jpegIMG_1539.jpeg but on week days, there are loads of trailer trucks barreling down and up the roads.IMG_1535.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could also stay at Canfranc Pueblo in the pilgrim albergue. It is only a short distance before Villanua. If you don't stay, be sure to stop in and get a stamp!

You could also stay at Canfranc Pueblo in the pilgrim albergue. It is only a short distance before Villanua. If you don't stay, be sure to stop in and get a stamp!
Great idea to show in addition that I have entered Spain. Am planning to visit both the monasteries of San Juan de la Peña by taking a bus.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have met pilgrims who have complained about lack of heat, dirty kitchen and less humourless stuff in a gîte in MARCIAC.
I NEED to KNOW if others have a similar experience in MARCIAC as this needs to be corrected. I am on a tourist board of this area.

Last edited:
Let me say that these people were called « cagots » . The shame that these people had to endure by entire villages, is amazing. Such was the discrimination that intermarriage was the norm since the Middle Ages
The Cagots were extant in South west France (you can still find Cagot doors in some rural churches) and Northern Spain. Their history is fascinating, a sobering example of the "othering" of perceived minorities, even though, in fact, they were genetically indistinguishable from the rest of the population. I've attached a short article for anyone who is interested.

Attachments

• Chimeras_that_degrade_humanity_the_cagot.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The Cagots were extant in South west France and Northern Spain. Their history is fascinating, a prime example of the "othering" of perceived minorities, even though, in fact, they were genetically indistinguishable from the rest of the population. I've attached a short article for anyone who is interested.
Because of intermarriage for generations, most Cagots were short and were allowed only the tradecraft dealing with wood or wool. These people were so ostracized that special side doors were built so they could attend mass. Looking at churches, the small side doors are for the cagots as they were forbidden to use central church doors.

I had just edited my post to include a reference to Cagot doors in churches, then I saw your post!

Last edited:
I had just edited my post to include a reference to Cagot doors in churches, then I saw your post!
I am trying to place your great article on my iPad as saved but cannot see how.When hiking in this area, this fascinating subject is still relevant. Recently joined a group of local residents being bused to visit the old town and wonderful cathedral of ALBI. In that group were historian aficionados who refused to acknowledge the existence of cagots. Their profession? Carpenters.

First experience staying in a hostal in Spain, precisely in VILLANUA. It’s very basic but does what it sets out to do, give a room witz a shower and bathroom. Next hostal, I will check that there are glasses. Fantastic meat last night in the local taverna, so tender: you don’t get that anywhere in France. A complete menu for 12€. Wow.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was decided to meet near the cathedral in JACA late this afternoon. For some pilgrims, this was time to say goodbye to others. That’s life.

I went out for dinner and while it was before 8pm and the kitchens were closed, I saw an American man rushing into the taverna saying, « « Gimme an orange juice » to the bartender. No please, no thank you…just an ugly person. I was ashamed. Situations like this still happen.

@FireDragon did you go see the old and new monasteries? The next few stages past Arres you will need to carry water. No potable fountains and the towns are not directly on the Camino to resupply.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@FireDragon did you go see the old and new monasteries? The next few stages past Arres you will need to carry water. No potable fountains and the towns are not directly on the Camino to resupply.
Indeed, the monasteries are absolutely beautiful. In the « new monastery » there is a fantastic exhibition of the monastery with figureheads. So you walk on see through planks and on the one hand you see old remaining walls including old bread furnaces, iron furnaces and the pharmacy that were partially recreated. You definitely get the idea the monks that lived there were not only recluse but were a city unto themselves.
The Monasterio viejo is wonderful as well in another way. To really understand it’s history, use the ticket obtained at the ticket office and obtain an an audio tour in whatever language you want. That monastery dates back to 1099 and the courtyard is impressive.

You should know that walking down from the old monastery is treacherous. I took a taxi from JACA that cost me 35€. I walked down to Santa Cruz de la Serós where I stayed the night. There are stretches where one should not have vertigo.

Indeed, the monasteries are absolutely beautiful. In the « new monastery » there is a fantastic exhibition of the monastery with figureheads. So you walk on see through planks and on the one hand you see old remaining walls including old bread furnaces, iron furnaces and the pharmacy that were partially recreated. You definitely get the idea the monks that lived there were not only recluse but were a city unto themselves.
The Monasterio viejo is wonderful as well in another way. To really understand it’s history, use the ticket obtained at the ticket office and obtain an an audio tour in whatever language you want. That monastery dates back to 1099 and the courtyard is impressive.

You should know that walking down from the old monastery is treacherous. I took a taxi from JACA that cost me 35€. I walked down to Santa Cruz de la Serós where I stayed the night. There are stretches where one should not have vertigo.
Yes, we also took a taxi up and walked the Camino down and agree with you that the route down is the WORST! We were told to take the road down, but didn't heed the advice and regretted it later. We also loved the monasteries.

I left ARAGON this morning and am now in NAVARRA. Was supposed to stay the night in SANGUESA but given the temperatures and the early afternoon, decided to stay in YESA. Tomorrow another monastery, this time a climb to LEYRE.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back