• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in a singlet

Nikkinee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2015
Hi there

I apologise if this question has already been asked but I've been searching & searching & can't find much info.

I'm starting the CF in Pamplona on June 1st 2015 & was wanting some advice on wearing singlets (sleeveless shirts) whilst walking.

Firstly, will the sun just be too strong? Keeping in mind, I'm Australian so I practically live in singlets & in the sun.

Secondly, does your pack rub on your shoulders when you don't have complete coverage?

Any advice would be appreciated, particularly from those who have walked in singlets.

Hayley

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome Hayley!

Sorry I don't have an answer to your questions.

Hi Hayley. If you are talking about the type of shirt in your photo ( we call them tank tops :) )
I prefer to have fabric between me and my pack straps. As much as possible. If I were going to wear something
sleeveless, I would make sure the shoulder top was covered. I hike a lot but haven't walked the Camino yet so
can't speak to the sun. But I hear it's HOT. :)

Buen Camino.
Laurel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess it all depends on your skin type.
I've seen younger male peregrinos walking shirtless.
Modern backpacks really are designed for comfort. I don't think they would chafe you to any degree, especially if you travel light.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carried a thin shemagh (middle eastern style scarf) with me, and on days of hot sun wore a singlet but put the shemagh over my shoulders so that the straps of my pack didn't rub. It worked well and the shemagh prevented sunburn while being cool and comfortable.

Haha. Of course this all makes sense now. Perhaps I should have been searching 'tank tops' and not 'singlets'. But yes, I mean tank tops, vests, sleeveless t-shirts... you get the idea. ;)

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think the shemagh/scarf is a great idea.

@Nikkinee as you can see from my avatar, I sometimes wear a tank top but the photo was actually taken on a shady day. When the sun is shining I prefer to wear a long sleeved light shirt because it is so much easier than having to wear sunscreen, and reapplying it. In June it can be really hot with a fierce sun. There is little if any shade along the path and you will be out in the sun for hours on end.

Hint- an umbrella is really useful.

As to the pack straps rubbing - go for some long - 12 km at least- walks in your gear (right down to undies) with fully loaded pack before you leave home. Hopefully if something is uncomfortable you can fix it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Nikkinee

I discovered that on hot days in May on the camino it was better to be protected from the sun with a long sleeved shirt. Sunscreen didn't last for long enough!

I'm also from Australia and found the heat in Spain not as humid as what we experience and, therefore, I was quite comfortable in long sleeves.

This year I'm walking in June/July so I will try the shemagh as well (but will still take my long sleeve shirt!)

buen camino

I'm starting the CF in Pamplona on June 1st 2015 & was wanting some advice on wearing singlets (sleeveless shirts) whilst walking.

Firstly, will the sun just be too strong? Keeping in mind, I'm Australian so I practically live in singlets & in the sun.

Secondly, does your pack rub on your shoulders when you don't have complete coverage?

Any advice would be appreciated, particularly from those who have walked in singlets.

I mostly wear merino singlets which I buy from

http://www.nznature.co.nz/

Have had no problems with pack straps, got sunburn once. I too live in Oz and usually have a tan undercoat at least when I get to Europe. You could always alternate between singlet and T to avoid burning. The sun is not as fierce as here.

I asked Google Images what a "singlet" is and my eyebrows lifted right off the top of my head. :-]

https://www.google.com/search?q=singlet&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=778&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X

(Who knows, maybe Google Images localizes "singlet" to something very tame in Australia.)

Buen Camino!

Don't be a prude Prentiss, we all wear those 1n Australia. I particularly like the ones that look like Borat's 'ManKini' ! :eek:

For Aussie singlet, think sleeveless undershirt or vest (UK)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did, check out my photo.

I did have a shirt to start the day, and as I warmed up removed it for comfort.

Buen Camino

Cheryl

Don't be a prude Prentiss, we all wear those 1n Australia. I particularly like the ones that look like Borat's 'ManKini' ! :eek:

For Aussie singlet, think sleeveless undershirt or vest (UK)

Is wrestling that common?

She means an A shirt. What used to be considered a summer undershirt.

Nikkinee You know your shoulders,your backpack and your comfort level. Personally I wouldn't because I'd expect things to rub over the course of days. But go out and try it at home a few days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There usually is a reason for attire. Do you have an answer to "why would a tank top be good hiking wear?" Note that most of the responses to your question were from men. The issue of being a prude even came up. Are covered shoulders just too hot and uncomfortable? The Spanish do not think they are appropriate in churches. I even saw a church sign or two saying they were not appropriate (sorry, no photo).

The Spanish do not think they are appropriate in churches. I even saw a church sign or two saying they were not appropriate (sorry, no photo).

Not just the Spaniards. You'll see the same limits in Italy,France,Greece and likely else where. But then shorts are also banned. Skirts above the knee. Men in hats.

Be careful.
At this time, in Spain is very hot and there are many hours of sunshine, even those who are used to walk a lot in the sun and we are swarthy we take precautions.
In Spain we say:"Más vale prevenir que curar" "Prevention is better than cure"
Take care and Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some even walk shirtless, so yes, you can :)

I'm reading a blog now, suggested by @katdavis , about a girl who walked the Pacific Crest Trail. She put pics on her blog of hikers walking butt naked.....except for their backpacks. That should really answer all your questions ;)

I think if your an Aussie, you know better then most how to protect yourself from the sun.

Slip, slop, slap and all...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
I'd have thought Australians would be more aware than most of the potential dangers of too much sun. Maybe save the singlet for the evenings?

Thanks to those of you who have commented so far. I appreciate it.

The reason I ask about wearing a singlet is because I thoroughly dislike wearing tshirts. I also find I get hotter in them.

I'm very aware of the dangers of the sun & I'm not silly enough to keep on walking in a singlet if the sun is too intense or when it's at its highest...but the reason I ask of its intensity is because it does vary from country to country. I've been to some countries where it's sunny but pleasant to walk around in all day & I've been to some where you can't stand under it for more than 5 minutes without wanting to cry.

Dutch. That blog sounds like an interesting read. Would you mind giving me the name of it please?

P.s I would always cover up in churches.

I have worn a top with a 3 inch "strap" - wider than the backpack straps, so a good buffer between them and the skin and appropriate in restaurant, churches (drape you fleece you on your shoulders on top to be even more appropriate) - see link below.

If you think you need to, apply sunscreen. In 4 caminos, only applied it once, making my way down to Molinaseca I believe (crazy hills, nothing to prevent you from tumbling in the precipice if you faint or stumble), but we each have different skins.

But really, go out, test your singlet with your backpack, and that will tell you much more than anyone of us.

http://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/clothes/tops/l417101p-white.html

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Though it was many years ago, I used to wear what you call a singlet. Ever since I started walking caminos, I've been covering up. But lo and behold, just yesterday my dermatologist told me she wanted to biopsy some spots on a couple of the places where those singlets left my skin uncovered. It seems that the damage takes decades to cause a problem. I agree with Kanga -- go in long sleeves and protect your skin.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Nikkinee, like you I'm an Aussie and I love singlet tops. I always wear them when I walk. I really dislike tee shirts. I've had no trouble with pack straps and I've walked a lot of long distance trails. Do a trail walk with your pack and make sure you have/use sunblock. Buen Camino.
Jacki.

Hi there

I apologise if this question has already been asked but I've been searching & searching & can't find much info.

Hayley

Hi Nikkinee.... I live in Cape Town, I tan quickly and am used to hi temps ... however, walking 6-8hrs in the blazing sun is very different. I also don't like shirts or sleeved t-shirts - so found cap sleeve (just covers the shoulder bones) IceBreaker t-shirts, bought cooling sport sleeves http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2UMDV2/?tag=casaivar02-20 which are great as you can put them on when it starts to heat up and remove when not that hot and used a very lightweight scarf wraped around my head to keep the direct heat off my shoulders and face (taken en route to Cacabellos at 10.15am and it was 30 degrees already), also great to dip into fountains etc and wrap around yourself wet which kept my head and shoulder cool - I'm definitely one for covering up ...

Attachments

• 10402846_10152132267855770_8467010451358085063_n.jpg
    10402846_10152132267855770_8467010451358085063_n.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 9
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
He Nikkinee.
You can walk with singlet, is very cool. But my advice is: you use an umbrella. I do it in the summer and is fantastic. It provides shade throughout the body and allows the passage of the breeze.
PD: Spanish lesson.
Paraguas (Stop waters): A umbrella for rain.
Sombrilla (Small shadow): A umbrella for Sun.

My experience tell me, you have to consider a couple of things.
Skin burns and head temperature.
I remember in my youth, when I did the Military Service in Western Sahara, the main thing was to keep cool in the shade head.
"Siroquera" Headdress above the cap (Sirocco the strong desert wind) you covered the entire head, leaving only the eyes free. It was wet with water very often, always had to wet.

Yikes Laurie!!! That sounds scary! Sending up prayers for you.

Thanks, Lise. I know the basal cell carcinoma drill very well now, so I am not overly concerned, but I know it has to be dealt with promptly. I said it more as a caution to those young-uns whose decisions so frequently fail to factor in the long term risks. Yes, I look like a dork walking in summer in long pants and long shirts but I guess that's my penance for having done stupid things like put baby oil on my body while "suntanning" with my dorm-mates and using tin foil to reflect the sun -- if you can believe that!

Buen camino, and cover up! Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the reasons I want to have some material between my skin and the backpack straps is that the t-shirt absorbs most of the sweat. Backpack straps cannot be easily washed, and they do start to stink after a while.
I protect myself from the sun with a large Aussie hat (see pic). I also put a large cotton cloth on my neck, soaking it in cold water at every opportunity.

On the Camino you right side pretty much gets blasted all day and you end up with a split tan anyways. You are walking East to West for 30 ish days.
@Lise T, on the Camino, when you're walking east to west, it's your left side that gets blasted all day.

......... You mentioned you're from New Zealand ......... Perhaps it's because you're turned upside down ....? :p:rolleyes:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Having lived in Spain for eight years, the month of June, in the sun, will mean walking in temperatures of 40degs C ++ and up to 46 degs.
You will burn.
Wear long sleeves.
I assume you'll also wear trousers?!?!? Make them long ones for the same reason.
Buen camino!

Thanks to those of you who have commented so far. I appreciate it.

The reason I ask about wearing a singlet is because I thoroughly dislike wearing tshirts. I also find I get hotter in them.

I'm very aware of the dangers of the sun & I'm not silly enough to keep on walking in a singlet if the sun is too intense or when it's at its highest...but the reason I ask of its intensity is because it does vary from country to country. I've been to some countries where it's sunny but pleasant to walk around in all day & I've been to some where you can't stand under it for more than 5 minutes without wanting to cry.

Dutch. That blog sounds like an interesting read. Would you mind giving me the name of it please?

P.s I would always cover up in churches.

Here you are. Enjoy. It is a good read :)

https://mexicotocanada2013.wordpress.com/

Well, I did it again. Not knowing what Hayley was speaking...I clicked on a link provided by Prentiss. First page was men:eek:...my daughter warned me not to click on unknown links:rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know it's "cool" to get a tan - and what an easy way to do it - 30plus days walking in the sun, however, apart from many wise replies here giving reasons why you should cover up, do remember that, as mentioned here, you are basically walking in one direction only, so your left side could end up very burnt after 7 hours daily walking, especially once you hit the Meseta where there isn't much shade. Let's face it, you are in the position to get a tan for most of the year, so why ruin your Pilgrimage by getting a dose of serious sunburn! Anne

For comfort my preference was to walk with a short-sleeved merino T-shirt (and Tilley hiking shorts, for those who insist on complete wardrobe information) but I found that, in Spain's strong sun, I was cooler with a long-sleeved shirt. One of my African-provenance colleagues, on hearing me wonder about this, told me that every fool knew that it was cooler walking in the strong sun with cloth to insulate one from the heat and that if my brain had not been frozen by a childhood in the north, I would know this. I sought verification from my hiking consultant who, training in our local militia regiment, had done many heavy-pack long marches, and she told me that she had been trained to hike in long sleeves as this was indeed the case. She confirmed my colleague's estimation that my brain had been frozen long ago, which I thought was an unnecessary comment.

You are from Aus, I live in Thailand, so we are used to the heat. Personally, I can't bear to have anything over my armpits when exercising, so I ONLY walked in vests (gym tops, tech fibre) when I did camino last year July/Aug. Other than getting a funny tan from the backpack straps, I was fine. Never burned once, as my skin is used to the sun. I only put on sunscreen at midday. Leaving at 6am, it only got 'hot' in my opinion at lunch time. I walked with 2 Aussie girls, and they too wore vests (singlets to you Aussies) but the Brits and Canadians I walked with all covered up, so it depends on where you are from and what you are used to I suppose. I also walked in shorts or 3/4 gym or running tech fibre pants. Couldn't do long pants!

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For comfort my preference was to walk with a short-sleeved merino T-shirt (and Tilley hiking shorts, for those who insist on complete wardrobe information) but I found that, in Spain's strong sun, I was cooler with a long-sleeved shirt. One of my African-provenance colleagues, on hearing me wonder about this, told me that every fool knew that it was cooler walking in the strong sun with cloth to insulate one from the heat and that if my brain had not been frozen by a childhood in the north, I would know this. I sought verification from my hiking consultant who, training in our local militia regiment, had done many heavy-pack long marches, and she told me that she had been trained to hike in long sleeves as this was indeed the case. She confirmed my colleague's estimation that my brain had been frozen long ago, which I thought was an unnecessary comment.
Thank you. Interesting info here. I just looked at my long-sleeved 'tech' shirt which I find too hot for summertime walking and see that it is a mixture of nylon and polyester, i.e. non-breathable. I guess one should seek out a natural fibre - cotton, linen, bamboo (several Forum members have been advocating bamboo). Rayon is also a natural fibre, but I find it shrinks terribly, and I often forget to wash it in cold water, admittedly not a problem on the Camino. Does anyone know if bamboo fabric shrinks also? ............Hmmmmm, just read that rayon is considered a semi-synthetic fibre - probably not the best for the Camino.

Are sleeveless shirts really called singlets in Europe?

In the US, a singlet refers to one of these :eek:

prld.xlg

Another thought: having lived several years in both Syria and Egypt, I quickly learnt that one stayed cooler when wearing long dresses which protected the body from the sun's strong rays and served as insulation.
Also here in Costa Rica, where I take a walk most days early morning ( ie before the sun is high), I still will never go out without protecting my skin with a #50 sun screen.
Maybe all the avocates of wearing scant clothing while walking so many hours a day, are still young. Wait to see what will have happened to your skin by the time you are my age( over 70), if you don't respect the sun!
We are blessed with both water and sun, but they are both elements that can wreck havoc! Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back