• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking on the Velodyssee

WaltHauck

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese, 2022
is it OK to walk the Vélodyssée. Is it permitted? Bordeaux to Irun

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi and welcome here.

Seeing La Vélodyssée is designed for cyclists you should be aware that as a walker you should be vigilant at all times for traffic.
If I would be you I would get into contact with the the organisation.

Last edited:
Yes but with caution. There has been advice after the forest fires in 2022 that the velodysee was to be used as parts of Voie Littoral were closed.
But it worth looking at Landes compostelle site for information on Voie Littoral

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't think it's a case that walking is prohibited, just that the route is predominantly designed for cyclists, and therefore vigilance is required.
Depending on when you are going, such routes are normally busiest at weekends and evenings.

Bordeaux isn't actually on the Veolodyssee and getting on to the route may be a tad tricky on foot.

Not all the Velodyssee is on bike path. Some of it is road, with and without a footpath.

The actual route can zig and zag in such a way that it is less practical to follow religiously on foot.

You may find this site helpful:
It is a bike route planning site. It is useful because you can click on Google Streetview (where available) for any point on the route and it favours quiet roads or bikepaths that should be suitable for walking.

I cycled the Velodysee several years ago and recall meeting pilgrims all along the length. Be warned that it can be very, very hot!

Most read last week in this forum

In about a week’s time I’ll be starting my fifth Camino from Le Puy en Velay, however, I’m interested to know if anyone in this forum has started their Camino from Paris ….. to Saint Jean Pied de...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back