• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking poles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trekking poles, properly used, reduced stress on knees and ankles and transfer some of your weight to your arms. I don't have much balance left, so they help me stay on the path! They don't weigh anything when they are on the ground, though you do have to lift their 9 ounce weight with each step. On descents, they provide stability that is useful in preventing falls, particularly when your legs have gotten a little rubbery. On ascents, they provide me with the extra boost to get my knee locked. For traversing the occasional stream, they help me to balance on rocks and logs. On slippery mud, they keep you from sliding backward a little bit. I think my poles have saved many twisted ankles; they add the strength to stop a rolling ankle before it rolls all the way.

I recommend trekking poles; the older you are, the more I recommend them. My informal statistic is that about half the pilgrims use them.

They weight what? Around 250 - 300 gs each? Many people find that tolerable compared to the benefits. But equally a lot of people don't use them or find them an irritant. Many people if they need a stick simply pick one up on the route. I keep one retractable pole in my rucksack and only use it on steep ascents.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We have a group of four leaving Le Puy for the first time on 6 Sep upcoming; here's the trekking pole story for us. One of us bought Pacer Poles, and loves them. The others have been trying them out. Another one liked them so much she bought Pacer Poles as well. A third tried the communal pair of Pacer Poles but decided to stick with her already-in-hand pair of Leki poles instead. The fourth (and eldest) is out of town so often on so many travels this summer I don't quite know what her pole situation is.

so, to add to Falcon 269....
you gotta use 2 poles
and you gotta use them proper like
if incorrectly used you will be more drained that without them
there are 2 aspects for use
1. the way you use the straps
2. the way you swing the poles
2 poles transfers some of the weight / stress from lower body to upper
they push you upright so youre not bent over
allow you to propel yourself forward - using the strength of your arms when your legs are flagging
theyre great for resting on when you cant sit down
when walking on uneven ground, theyre like kids trainer/ faerie wheels - they stop you stumbling
a great benefit ive discovered is they allow me to look up and sightsee when walking on uneven terrain - i can walk confidently knowing i can do a semi-trip without the danger of a real fall

I am one of the naysayers. I came to the conclusion that for every km I could have benefited from having poles I would have had to carry them at least 50 km and then try to keep track of them every time I stopped. Plus the hassle of having to transport them on planes, trains and buses. For those who need them they are great but unless you think you have a specific need don't feel as though you have to use them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use a stick when I need to navigate steep paths... there´s almost always one handy when I need it, and that is pretty rare. When I get back on the flat I return the stick to nature.

I get nasty tendinitis in my right shoulder when I over-do. My osteopath (the magical David de Sahagún, of Happe Kerkeling fame) told me using a walking stick long-term wears on that joint unnecessarily. I walked the Frances/Invierno this spring without a stick, and shoulders, knees, ankles, etc. did just fine. I didn´t miss it.

Rebekah

I use one collapsible Leki pole- but I only use it when it is steep and/or muddy. But unlike Johnny, it was the slippery descents (rather than ascents) I mostly used it on.

I guess it depends when you walk. I used the pole often in the springtime on the Le Puy route, which had quite a few steep and/or muddy, slippery sections. There were several times I am sure it helped save me from injury. And like Falcon, I find I am not as flexible or fast at times now I am a bit older. However, once I had reached Burgos- in June, when it was drier- I rarely used it again. But I never begrudged its 'weight' as I knew I had really needed it earlier. My pack had a loop that it was attached by, so I never had to worry about losing it.
Margaret

I recommend if you're going to use poles, use two to balance the body. And which pole? For me there is only one, the pacer poles. Check them out, they are fantastic! As someone on this forum said a few years back - he'd jumped out of airplanes, fought in Afghanistan, wrestled with a bear, but would never do something so dangerous as walk the camino without poles. I thought that was perfect! cheers, Jane

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OMG, my walking poles and my water bottle were my three best friends on my trek. Might be different if you're a spring chicken, but for this decidedly pudgie peregrina of advancing years they were a God send. Very helpful on the uphills but worth their weight in gold on the downhills. Never once did I slip or twist an ankle or knee going downhill. I would not do the Camino without them. I'm planning on going again next year, hopefully with my girth much diminished. But no matter how svelte I may get "Oh please make it so," the poles will go with me!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For the first time this Camino I have carried a walking pole. Just the one. I find it very useful for balance on steep downhill stretches and creek crossings. The weight is minimal. Wouldn't be without it.

Calling all Pacer Pole users - I need your advice please. We leave from Le Puy on 6 Sept. I had been intending to follow the general guidance to put my Pacer Poles poles in a mailing tube (along with the pocket knife), and check the tube while carrying-on the backpack. However, Pacer Poles need a 6-inch mailing tube, which as it turns out is impossible to find unless I order a case of them (maybe I should go into business!).

What's Plan B if I can't find a mailing tube that will fit? (Flying from Seattle, changing at Chicago, landing in Paris, on United) Thanks for any fresh thoughts.

I think a stick of some sort is good to have, either to navigate mud and steep hills, to take stress off the knees, or to feel like if you need to you can fend off dogs (the nearly-mythical dogs).

Having said that, I've done a Camino with a stick I bought along the way. It was fine. And I've done a CAmino with my pacer poles. It was fine. Neither way was really better than the other for me. I did enjoy the pacer poles because I have wrist issues and they were easier on my wrists than the plain poles, but when I go again, I probably will NOT take the pacer poles (I change my mind daily) b/c of having to "keep track of them" or "worry about them" being stolen (which unfortunately IS a problem occasionally).

As far as shipping them, I guess we were lucky. We found a large mailing tube in a dumpster. However, on returning, we simply found a heavy cardboard box and wrapped them up snugly and checked them. They break down very small, so finding a box shouldn't be a problem.

If you are young, strong, and don't generally use a stick to walk, then I think using a pole you buy in SJPP or along the way is the answer. They are strong as iron, beautifully made, and help support folks along the Way. They also make a nice and USEful momento.

Flip a coin?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not to worry - I did manage to find a suitable sized (6 inches x 6 inches x 24 inches) box at a small shipping office I passed this morning. The clerk says it seems no one is making the 6 inch tubes any more. One box looks like it would wold two pair of pacer poles; or one pair and some clothing.

I know we've talked about the carry-on vs. check-in dilemma with poles, but my walking companion took her poles apart and put them in her backpack and had absolutely no trouble getting them through security in San Francisco this past June. I, on the other hand, checked my poles in a tube, and they never arrived in Madrid. Luckily, I knew the address of the Barrabes store and was able to stop there to buy replacements before my departure to Sevilla from Atocha.

I am intrigued by the pacer poles and would love to hear your opinions during or after your Camino. I have been using Leki super malaku poles for years and love them.

But next time I am going to bring my poles with me on the plane! Laurie

The beauty of Pacer Poles compared to other styles is that your normal arm swing is not altered (or I should say - shouldn't be altered!) in any way. You actually use the arc of the swing to manipulate the poles, which in turn give you a boost / push off as you walk along. The other great advantage for me is that I NEVER have swollen fingers, a normal side affect of lengthy walks, when using pacer poles.
Cheers, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some personal, dated experience.

Ten years ago on my first (and only walk to date), bought a pole and forgot it at home before going to SJPDP. Bought another pole at SJPDP to replace the forgotten item.

Broke the pole shortly thereafter (because it was extended to far - I am tall). Discarded pole in dumpster.

Found a fallen branch and made a pole. Comforting and it provided support to the end. Got it customized with a drilled hole at a refugio, added a lanyard - I really liked it.

Left it at the pole scrum at the refugio at SJDC. My pole's affections got redirected (re-apporiated?)

Poles are fickle - don't get attached.

PS

I now have 2 el cheapos and they will join on my camino starting in Le Puy in early September. They do in fact help on balance going up or down.

Frood

I've just returned from walking Le Puy to Cahors. The route is very stony here with many steep segments (both steep ascents and steep descents). I cannot say enough good things about my Pacer Poles for this trip: they were invaluable going uphill, and saved a number of falls going downhill.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...
Hi! I'm new here and to the Camino, but trying to take advantage of a last minute opportunity to get off work for about 3 weeks including travel. I had hoped to do Le Puy to Cahors including the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back