• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking stages on costal/senda litoral a bit confusing

Abigail Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
Hi all, I have not posted on here for a long time but have been checking in :) I have been doing my calculations or trying to on the stages from Porto to Santiago. Here is what I have come on with and wondering if this is doable? I am fit and do a lot of walking. I started again in the last month as I have been recovering from a fractured knee since July. I have 13 days to do the costal/senda L/ V Espiritual route which I want to do. Any suggestion really appreciated :)
Day 1. Skipping Porto???and start at Matosinhos as my flight gets in late .. Matosinhos-Vila Conde 30km?
Day 2. V Conde-Povoa de Varzim 25km or Esposende 26 km (is that right)? Day 3 Esposende-Viana do Castelo 23km. Day 4 Viana do C- Caminha 29km.... ferry.. Day 5 A Guarda - Baiona 35km ( might be to much) Day 6. Baiona-Vigo 26km or Redondela 36km ouch! Day 7. Redondela-Pontevedra 21km. From here I will do Variante Espiritual. Is the above to much.

Thank you so much everybody :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Matosinhos to Vila do Conde is 20 km
Vila do Conde to Povoa de Varzim is 6 kms
Povoa to Esposende 24 kms
Esposende to Viana do Castelo is 23 kms
Viana to Caminha 26 kms and from there by ferry and walking 3 kms to A Guarda
A Guarda to Baiona is is 34 a 35 kms you could stop in Santa Maria de Oia. Is Q6 kms of walk on 4 kms to an albergue
Baiona to Vigo 26 km or to redondela plus 12 kms !(so from Baiona to Redondela 38 kms Redondela to Pontevedra 21kms

Passa bem. Bom caminho

We broke up the stage between A Guarda and Baiona by staying in Oia. A Guarda to Oia is a short-ish walk, so we arrived in time for lunch. There is not a lot to do in Oia, but it is in a beautiful setting, and sitting out having lunch with a couple of glasses of wine overlooking the ocean was wonderful. We stayed at a nice small hotel in Oia by the name of Casa Puertas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A Guarda to Baiona is is 34 a 35 kms you could stop in Santa Maria de Oia. Is Q6 kms of walk on 4 kms to an albergue
Baiona to Vigo 26 km or to redondela plus 12 kms !(so from Baiona to Redondela 38 kms Redondela to Pontevedra 21kms

Passa bem. Bom caminho
Thank you Albertinho, I think Santa Maria de Oia is about 19km? is the albergue 4km after you get to Oia? :)

We broke up the stage between A Guarda and Baiona by staying in Oia. A Guarda to Oia is a short-ish walk, so we arrived in time for lunch. There is not a lot to do in Oia, but it is in a beautiful setting, and sitting out having lunch with a couple of glasses of wine overlooking the ocean was wonderful. We stayed at a nice small hotel in Oia by the name of Casa Puertas.
Thanks for that Doogman, I will check that out is there shops etc in Oia? I will also check out Casa Puertas :)

There was a nice restaurant where we had lunch, and a bar/cafe where we had dinner, but unfortunately I do not recall if there were shops. I seem to think there were, but I am not 100% on that. I recall Oia being about 14 kms from A Guarda.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a very good shop in Oia - sells everything - it's on the main road, a very steep climb up the hill from the village at the bottom.

I will also check out Casa Puertas

Hi, it's a very nice boutique guest house in Oia, but costs about 50 euros a night. For an albergue you will need to walk on a few more kms. The one in Mougas, about 6 or 7 kms after Oia, is OK at 10 euros.

There was a nice restaurant where we had lunch, and a bar/cafe where we had dinner, but unfortunately I do not recall if there were shops. I seem to think there were, but I am not 100% on that. I recall Oia being about 14 kms from A Guarda.
Doogman, which stops did you make after Oia? Did you go onto Baiona which I think is around 20km or brave it to Vigo which is about 29km :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a very good shop in Oia - sells everything - it's on the main road, a very steep climb up the hill from the village at the bottom.
Hi Jsalt, is the steep climb to the shop or on the camino route? Thank you :)

Hi Jsalt, is the steep climb to the shop or on the camino route? Thank you :)

It's just above the village, easy climb up the hill, will take you about 10 minutes up and 2 minutes down!

Day 4 Viana do C- Caminha 29km.... ferry.. Day 5 A Guarda - Baiona 35km

Make a note that the ferry does not run on Mondays and only at high tide, so if you miss the last one at high tide you will have to wait about 4 hours for the next one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Attachments

• OiaMap.pdf
    524.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi Abigail!
Although I think you can surely take the train out of Porto to skip the industrial area, please, do stay in the city for a day. Porto is a marvelous place (although very hilly) , with lots to see, eat and drink.

I think your stages are doable, you if you are a fit person.

Doogman, which stops did you make after Oia? Did you go onto Baiona which I think is around 20km or brave it to Vigo which is about 29km :)

We stopped in Baiona. It is quite a pretty place, and well worth a stop (in my opinion).

The route we took from Baiona to Vigo made for a long day. The post above from @Albertinho says Baiona-Vigo is 26 kms. It felt a lot longer than that when I walked it. Vigo is a large city, so we walked a long time (45-60 minutes) down one of the main streets to get to where we were staying. I would not have enjoyed walking all the way from Oia to Vigo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Make a note that the ferry does not run on Mondays and only at high tide, so if you miss the last one at high tide you will have to wait about 4 hours for the next one.
Thank you for that Jsalt made a note of it :)

Hi Abigail!
Although I think you can surely take the train out of Porto to skip the industrial area, please, do stay in the city for a day. Porto is a marvelous place (although very hilly) , with lots to see, eat and drink.

I think your stages are doable, you if you are a fit person.
I will more than likely return to Porto for a nights stay before I leave. The cheapest flight I can get back home leaves from there and not Santiago. That is ok tho as I have spent a few nights in Santiago before so look forward to trotting around Porto at the end :)

We stopped in Baiona. It is quite a pretty place, and well worth a stop (in my opinion).

The route we took from Baiona to Vigo made for a long day. The post above from @Albertinho says Baiona-Vigo is 26 kms. It felt a lot longer than that when I walked it. Vigo is a large city, so we walked a long time (45-60 minutes) down one of the main streets to get to where we were staying. I would not have enjoyed walking all the way from Oia to Vigo.
Hi Doogman, I was thinking that about Vigo been a large city. I really don't like large citys. I had a bad experience trying to get out of ACourna as it was such a large city and in the end at 9pm I gave up. I ended up booking into a hotel and going a different route the next day :-(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Albertinho, I think Santa Maria de Oia is about 19km? is the albergue 4km after you get to Oia? :)
Yes Abigail. By then -2015- we stayed in a hotel in St Maria de Oia and it was pouring with rain so the lady of the hotel brought us by car to the albergue . It was about 4 kms

On the route national in Oia was a small restaurant and as I do remember a small supermarket.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

It could be possible that it felt longer to Vigo
However once we left Baiona in the morning, rounding the beautifull bay , at a certain moment we ended up in Nigrán where the waymarkers led us to the albergue.
We stopped for a stamp and the hospitaleiro told us when we should walk back to the bridge we came from, we should face green ! waymarkers and he advised us to follow them all away to Vigo.
These green waymarkers led us along the coastline -partly we walked on the beach.
It ended up in Vigo where we found back the yellow markers around the busstation
This seemed to be the shortest way compared to the stage on higher level through the hills following the yellow markers from Nigrán

Thank you for that Jsalt made a note of it :)
If the ferry is not running there is a nice man who will take you across the river for 5 Euros each. There were 5 of us together.
We went to the dock in the morning looking lost and he found us. He even rescued my husbands hat that flew off.
It was one of the more memorable parts of our Caminos
989B2952-899A-4385-972C-FC5DDEEFA96F.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is alberge and Hostel in Moughas that is 6,5 km from Oia. Baiona is a nice place to hang around for a while and then walk to Nigran ( 5km) and sleep there in Alberga Hospideria.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here are the stages we chose. I highly suggest you walk the Senda Littoral along the river out of Porto! Check it out starting with our day fifteen.
Hi Elle, I had actually looked at your blog before you messaged on here :) I have a slight change of plan and will now start from the cathedral in Porto and continue on the Senda Littoral. I am also going to do the Spiritual way. Question Elle, it is 32km to Villa d Connde from Porto this feel like a lot of walking as it will be my first day. I am fit but at the same time need to keep an eye on my knee. I would think I would have no problem with it but since you have already done it I am throwing this question at you :rolleyes::) Thank you so much ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, I have not posted on here for a long time but have been checking in :) I have been doing my calculations or trying to on the stages from Porto to Santiago. Here is what I have come on with and wondering if this is doable? I am fit and do a lot of walking. I started again in the last month as I have been recovering from a fractured knee since July. I have 13 days to do the costal/senda L/ V Espiritual route which I want to do. Any suggestion really appreciated :)
Day 1. Skipping Porto???and start at Matosinhos as my flight gets in late .. Matosinhos-Vila Conde 30km?
Day 2. V Conde-Povoa de Varzim 25km or Esposende 26 km (is that right)? Day 3 Esposende-Viana do Castelo 23km. Day 4 Viana do C- Caminha 29km.... ferry.. Day 5 A Guarda - Baiona 35km ( might be to much) Day 6. Baiona-Vigo 26km or Redondela 36km ouch! Day 7. Redondela-Pontevedra 21km. From here I will do Variante Espiritual. Is the above to much.

Goodness me you are really pushing yourself with some of the distances here. I found anything over 27kms a real slog. I did walk in June and it was very hot and I'm in my sixties so it may be more possible for you...but you might want to try it out at home before you go.

I will be walking from Porto to Santiago late May and early June. I have walked the Camino Frances three time in autumn and late spring and have taken a Sleeping bag and poncho. I am thinking about not taking either this time and wonder if anyone has any ideas. It looks like the weather is warm and I have a liner for sleeping and a waterproof rain jacket with pack cover. Thanks Professor

I will be walking from Porto to Santiago late May and early June. I have walked the Camino Frances three time in autumn and late spring and have taken a Sleeping bag and poncho. I am thinking about not taking either this time and wonder if anyone has any ideas. It looks like the weather is warm and I have a liner for sleeping and a waterproof rain jacket with pack cover. Thanks Professor
Hi Professor, you will need to post this in the forums on this site under Portuguese Camino to get more of a response me thinks :) I was actually trying to decide myself if I would bring a sleeping bag, still thinking about that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Elle, I had actually looked at your blog before you messaged on here :) I have a slight change of plan and will now start from the cathedral in Porto and continue on the Senda Littoral. I am also going to do the Spiritual way. Question Elle, it is 32km to Villa d Connde from Porto this feel like a lot of walking as it will be my first day. I am fit but at the same time need to keep an eye on my knee. I would think I would have no problem with it but since you have already done it I am throwing this question at you :rolleyes::) Thank you so much ;)
Hi @Abigail Kelly. I had started in Lisbon, so this day did not feel like too much for me, after 14 days already on the trail. It is also essentially flat along the river and coast, so you may find it quite doable. However, it is always possible to shorten the day at the albergue in either Labruge or the Vila Cha, if you find yourself tiring! That would cut off 7-10 km or so!

If you happen to get there on a Monday and don't want to spend the night, there is a guy named Mario who will take you across by boat for 5€ pp. Ask at the tourist information office.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If the 32 km to Vila do Conde seems a bit far, you can always do what I did and stop a bit before in Vila Chã. There is a nice museum of the local fisheries attached to the albergue.

Met a girl last year who had begun her walk at the Porto airport. Landed at 2 pm and Walked to Laburge municipal Albergue . (Laburge is approx 1/2 way between Matosinhos and Vila de Conde)

Met a girl last year who had begun her walk at the Porto airport. Landed at 2 pm and Walked to Laburge municipal Albergue . (Laburge is approx 1/2 way between Matosinhos and Vila de Conde)
If the 32 km to Vila do Conde seems a bit far, you can always do what I did and stop a bit before in Vila Chã. There is a nice museum of the local fisheries attached to the albergue.
I was checking out Vila Cha there isnt any cheapish hotels there :-(

Hi @Abigail Kelly. I had started in Lisbon, so this day did not feel like too much for me, after 14 days already on the trail. It is also essentially flat along the river and coast, so you may find it quite doable. However, it is always possible to shorten the day at the albergue in either Labruge or the Vila Cha, if you find yourself tiring! That would cut off 7-10 km or so!
Hi, Elle I was thinking about how flat is will be so might make things a bit easier :)

For 5 Euros you can take a water taxi from Caminha to Aguarda, saved us waiting 4 hours for the ferry.
This "warertaxi" is the boat of a fisherman, called Pedro
Entering Caminha at the left is a yachting harbour , a hotel and a camping
Walk in the direction of the camping. After about 200 to 300 meters ther is a restaurant . Ask there for Pedro . They will call him . Soon he will appear with his boat . Pay him the 5€ and he will set you to the other bank of the river in a 5 to 6 minutes crossing. From there head to the left and soon you will walk on the boardwalk-ocean at your left to A Guarda which is 3 kms from the landingplace . Very pleasant walk. Just before AGuarda center you'll see some restaurants with a pavillion at the seaside. They serve excellent fishdishes.

This "warertaxi" is the boat of a fisherman, called Pedro
Entering Caminha at the left is a yachting harbour , a hotel and a camping
Walk in the direction of the camping. After about 200 to 300 meters ther is a restaurant . Ask there for Pedro . They will call him . Soon he will appear with his boat . Pay him the 5€ and he will set you to the other bank of the river in a 5 to 6 minutes crossing. From there head to the left and soon you will walk on the boardwalk-ocean at your left to A Guarda which is 3 kms from the landingplace . Very pleasant walk. Just before AGuarda center you'll see some restaurants with a pavillion at the seaside. They serve excellent fishdishes.
Thank you Albertinho, good info to have :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We arrived at the Porto airport early in the morning, did a bit of sightseeing and then walked to Matosinhos to stay overnight in the Little Fishtail House. Next day walked to Vila do Condo.

I can't do much more than 20km per day and am happy to keep it at 17-18km. Heading back this Sept. but we still aren't sure which route. If anyone has suggestions about which route has more stops that are only 20km apart, would be grateful.

I was checking out Vila Cha there isnt any cheapish hotels there :-(

Laburge (with it's municipal albergue - donativo - 30 plus beds) is about 4 km before Vila Chai. The albergue is an old school house - with huge rooms, but only about 10 people per room. No upper bunks. Much space between beds. The absolutely nicest municipal I have stayed in on three Caminos, at least as far as the sleeping situation.

It had a smallish kitchen, and when we were there they had had a water line break, so the shower area had a moldy smell.)

We arrived at the Porto airport early in the morning, did a bit of sightseeing and then walked to Matosinhos to stay overnight in the Little Fishtail House. Next day walked to Vila do Condo.

I can't do much more than 20km per day and am happy to keep it at 17-18km. Heading back this Sept. but we still aren't sure which route. If anyone has suggestions about which route has more stops that are only 20km apart, would be grateful.
Laburge (with it's municipal albergue - donativo - 30 plus beds) is about 4 km before Vila Chai. The albergue is an old school house - with huge rooms, but only about 10 people per room. No upper bunks. Much space between beds. The absolutely nicest municipal I have stayed in on three Caminos, at least as far as the sleeping situation.

It had a smallish kitchen, and when we were there they had had a water line break, so the shower area had a moldy smell.)
Hi Thundrla do you remember the name of the albergue?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David, do you know if the metro stops at Labruge or Vila Cha if I want to jump a stage such as Vila do Conde and go straight to Povoa de Varzim. Thank you

David, do you know if the metro stops at Labruge or Vila Cha if I want to jump a stage such as Vila do Conde and go straight to Povoa de Varzim. Thank you

Attachments

• PortoMetroMap.pdf
    981.1 KB · Views: 13
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I didn't go right into Labruge but walked past it. I didn't notice any Metro stops as I did, or in Vila Chã. But then again, I wasn't looking for them.

Passa bem. Bom caminho
Thank you Albertinho, I am on track with you regarding the stages up to A Guarda :) After that I think I will go with the universe and see where it takes me including Spiritual way :)

Hi Jodean, post this on the forum Portuguse as you will get more response :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I will be walking the coastal route from Porto to Caminha and then crossing over to Valença to do the central route and then continue on to the espiritual route. I am looking for sauna’s...
We would like to go up to Monte Santa Tregla to see the archiological site, church and view but I do not want to add the 7.2 rt KM to our day (and especially walk the downhill). Does anyone have...
Have just finished my first Camino from Porto (via A Guarda). Happy to answer any questions.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back