• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking sticks on the plane?

Darren John

Hiya,
I will be doing my Camino later this year and was wonder if I can take my walking stick on the plane? its a large wooden stick.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hiya,
I will be doing my Camino later this year and was wonder if I can take my walking stick on the plane? its a large wooden stick.
I don't think it's going to happen, Darren. Even with collapsible poles people had problems with certain air companies or on some airports (Santiago for return is one of them!!!), as an on board luggage that is. The other thing is if you can wrap it or put in your rucksack...

Some more on the topic you can find in "Camino Equipment" section of the forum.

DJ...I had to check my walking stick...it didn't made Madrid for five days.
I have Black Diamond collapsible walking sticks. No problems because they fit in my pack.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hiya,

Hello Darren John,

Do you mean walking stick as a disability aid or a walking staff?

Living in Wales it's most likely you will end up flying with, Ryanair or Easyjet from the UK or Ryanair from Dublin. Either way, you won't be allowed to take a walking staff on the plane as hand luggage.

As for a walking stick (disability aid), I would advise you contact them and ask. It seems their application of their on board security arrangements "fluctuate somewhat" depending on who you speak to when you call.

I asked the TSA agent at the airport here (in California) and he said "No problem. Call it a cane. We let them through all the time." But that's just here. Spain may be less flexible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's true about "what the eye can't see" for the actual airlines, but I find that it is airport security that gets me every time. Anyone who has got sticks on as cabin baggage at Santiago deserves a mention in the Hall of Fame!

You may be OK at some US airports to take a stick or poles on as cabin baggage, but NO WAY will they allow this at Santiago, as has been said. Last October my rucsac was pulled going through the scanner at SdC, and I had to unpack to show that in fact the scope had picked up the 4 20cm long pieces of wood which make up an embroidery frame!! (This was totally missed going through Stansted )
They really are on the ball at Santiago security - several posters on here have had their poles confiscated in the past. I suspect this is because at present Santiago is a large airport with relatively few departures; the staff are not so pressurised with lots of bags going through.

Last edited:
Hiya,
Hi Darren have seen your walking stick on the plane ? I did the Camino in 2010 and took my long walking stick on the plane at Stansted going
and on the plane back from Santiago how? I cut into two if you need to know how to, look at my blog in my content, scroll down onto page two
its Wooden walking sticks or Modern trekking poles posted on 6 August 2010 if you wrap it well round clothes etc it should work,and fit into your rucsac I am also going
back this July for my second trip,and will be taking my new cut down stick good luck with the walk and the making of the stick,,,freespirit

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Totally depends on airline and airport. I took a wooden walking staff with me two years ago on Easyjet from London (UK) to Biarritz. I first emailed EasyJet with a description of the staff to get a guarantee that I could take it on board and they confirmed I could, and it all worked fine (airport security just scanned it). However, I returned via Bilbao (Easyjet again) but the security there laughed at me that I thought I could take it on board. They said "No way Jose", in Spanish of course. I had to check it in and pay Euro40 or something. I contacted EasyJet on return and they refunded the cost.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.