• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the way with a 6year old

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
Hello to everyone... This summer we will walk the Way from Viana do Castelo to Santiago, with my husband and our 6year old son.
We have walked the camino two time already me and my husband and with our son when he was 2 years old in a carry on back pack....
We are searching for a way to carry, more like push Santiago (our son) the moments that he will get tired...
Any, suggestions?
We can't carry him he is like 20kg...so we need something that he can sit and we push when he gets tired.
Any, suggestion is welcome.
Buen Camino!!! Sempre!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
angéliki louk,

How nice it is to read once more of your plans.
If you do a search with the word "children" you see many posts some of which describe various ways of pushing young tots along the camino.
Good luck to all 3 of you in this new adventure.
Buen camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have walked the camino two time already me and my husband and with our son when he was 2 years old in a carry on back pack....
Great to see you here again. Wow, is little Santiago 6 years old already? Where did the time go??!!

Just want to wish all three of you a Bom Caminho.

angéliki louk,

How nice it is to read once more of your plans.
If youvdo a search with the word "children" you see see many posts some of will describe various ways of pushing young tots along the camino.
Good luck to all 3 of you in this new adventure.
Buen camino.
Thank you so much!! Yes I already started the searching!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like you, I'll be walking with a soon to be 6 year old this summer. I also walked with a 2 year old four years ago! We're walking the Ingles in a very manageable 9 days to allow for ample breaks and multiple short days. I thought about a longer Camino with a kid carrier option, but wasn't able to find anything that fit the bill.

Hello to everyone... This summer we will walk the Way from Viana do Castelo to Santiago, with my husband and our 6year old son.
We are searching for a way to carry, more like push Santiago (our son) the moments that he will get tired...
Any, suggestions?
We can't carry him he is like 20kg...so we need something that he can sit and we push when he gets tired.
HI Angeliki
From 29th May to 7th June, I will be walking Camino Frances from Morgade to Santiago with my granddaughters aged 10 and 7 along with my son-in-law. I have some reservations about keeping the younger one going but she is keen and we are training them at the moment. Here in England the school holidays for Easter are approaching and we aim to have them out walking most days in preparation for our trip. I know we are not walking quite as far as you but we are restricted by time and have had to negotiate time off school to do it. If you are going later in the year than us and would like to
link up by private message at some time, I may be able to give you some indication of how things go for us. I have done four Caminos under my belt but previously have always walked alone and being retired have been able to disappear for weeks at a time so this will be new to me. They want to walk because they met me one time in Santiago when I finished one of my Caminos and have a shell each from my walks.
Buen Camino
Vince

Well, your best bet would be a jogging stroller. That said - I would suggest instead of getting him a stroller or carrying him, you might just want to schedule your walk around his needs. Have him carry a SMALL pack. In it, put some things that will make him happy: snacks, a few toys/games. Perhaps even a small ipad or something similar (unless you are cleansing from technology). Then walk his speed and his distances. When he needs a break, take a break, give him a snack, let him rest or play a game. Then start again. Don't forget to stop at plenty of playgrounds when you pass them! Practice at home before you go! My boys were actually better hikers at ages 4-8 than they were as teenagers! They totally loved hiking when they were little - and we often took a bus 10 miles up the road and walked back home along a beach. As long as they got to rest or play when they needed to - they were fine!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, your best bet would be a jogging stroller. That said - I would suggest instead of getting him a stroller or carrying him, you might just want to schedule your walk around his needs. Have him carry a SMALL pack. In it, put some things that will make him happy: snacks, a few toys/games. Perhaps even a small ipad or something similar (unless you are cleansing from technology). Then walk his speed and his distances. When he needs a break, take a break, give him a snack, let him rest or play a game. Then start again. Don't forget to stop at plenty of playgrounds when you pass them! Practice at home before you go! My boys were actually better hikers at ages 4-8 than they were as teenagers! They totally loved hiking when they were little - and we often took a bus 10 miles up the road and walked back home along a beach. As long as they got to rest or play when they needed to - they were fine!
Thank you for the suggestions... That is how we have planned it in our minds :).. ..we just thought that something to push him also at some points would help... But we don't want a stroller..

Thank you for the suggestions... That is how we have planned it in our minds :).. ..we just thought that something to push him also at some points would help... But we don't want a stroller..
Unfortunately - even if you did want to bring a stroller - it is more work to push it when he isn't in it! Where are you coming from? There is always the option of getting him a bike if he knows how to ride - but then you have to try to keep up with him! And not everywhere is good for a kid on a bike.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Carrying a stroller or something like that would be a burden as great as schlepping the child himself. Knowing 6-yr-olds (I used to have three of them) they will walk when they want to and sometimes not. If and when the inevitable balking sets in make sure you have a card with the number of the local taxi service -- most hotels and albergues have them -- and a cell phone. Shortening the day's walk with a taxi ride is not the worst thing. The one thing you don't want to do is turn a fun family outing into an ordeal. You didn't mention how many days you planned for the walk, but I would think 10-12 km/day would be about the maximum for those little legs and attention span.

but I would think 10-12 km/day would be about the maximum for those little legs and attention span.
Mine did fine with 10 miles which is roughly 16km... but with built in rest and play and snacks/meals along the way. They were 4 & 6 when we started our long 10 mile walks. I wouldn't do more than that though. And less of course is always fine - again - planning around the child's needs and abilities. Agree with the suggestion to keep a taxi phone number - but don't let the child know that if s/he acts up you will call a taxi or you might end up always calling a taxi! Haha...

Any, suggestions?
Met a guy one time with twins about that age. He had a push chair, you know the type with the back seat. Over the three days we walked together, I never seen both twins in the chair at the same time. We walked from Carrion to Calzadilla where he got a taxi to a hostel where he could get a private room. Taxi back to Calzadilla next morning and carried on walking. He reckoned that albergues were not suitable for the twins so he was using establishments where he could get a private room. Don't know how far he went but it was working for him. Don't know if this kind of arrangement would suit you but it is doable. I commend your courage. My grandson who would love to go is 11 and afraid I would not have the guts to take him never mind a 6 year old. It will be a great experience for him as he probably remembers nothing of the time when he was just two. Buen camino, have a great time

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
HI Angeliki
From 29th May to 7th June, I will be walking Camino Frances from Morgade to Santiago with my granddaughters aged 10 and 7 along with my son-in-law. I have some reservations about keeping the younger one going but she is keen and we are training them at the moment. Here in England the school holidays for Easter are approaching and we aim to have them out walking most days in preparation for our trip. I know we are not walking quite as far as you but we are restricted by time and have had to negotiate time off school to do it. If you are going later in the year than us and would like to
link up by private message at some time, I may be able to give you some indication of how things go for us. I have done four Caminos under my belt but previously have always walked alone and being retired have been able to disappear for weeks at a time so this will be new to me. They want to walk because they met me one time in Santiago when I finished one of my Caminos and have a shell each from my walks.
Buen Camino
Vince
Yes we are going on the 25/7...i would be happy to hear how it went for you!! ! Have a great walk and enjoy every step with your granddaughters.... Buen camino!!!

Would you consider walking distances Santiago can manage? When we walked with our six year old we mostly kept the days doable for her - but she did have a ride on daddy’s shoulders a couple of times.
One hint: when the grizzle’s about being tired start you all stop for a rest - and you let the child determine when they are ready to move again. They will eventually want to move on! In my experience they don’t stop for long.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Would you consider walking distances Santiago can manage? When we walked with our six year old we mostly kept the days doable for her - but she did have a ride on daddy’s shoulders a couple of times.
One hint: when the grizzle’s about being tired start you all stop for a rest - and you let the child determine when they are ready to move again. They will eventually want to move on! In my experience they don’t stop for long.
For how long you walked with your daughter?

Angeliki I am sure Rachael (Kiwi-family) will respond in time, but from my memory her six year old walked from SJPDP to SDC, along with the rest of the family (I'm not sure if all of Rachel's 8 children were on that first Camino!) If you search her posts you will find a wealth of information, and she and some of her children have walked multiple times since, tackling the most challenging routes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Apologies- I have not been on the forum.
The first Camino (which we did with all eight children aged 6-17 and Grandpa), we just walked from Astorga and took over two weeks to do it if I remember correctly.
Subsequently, the same daughter walked over 1,500km on a number of routes cobbled together into one Camino when she was eight years old and did the Via de la Plata at ten and did the San Salvador/ Primitivo a second time at 12. At that time we hiked a lot as a family at home too.

Last edited:
How did the trip go?? I have a strong desire to take my daughter next spring just before her 7th birthday. I'd love to hear your experience!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back