• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wanted: excellent pedicure in Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
camino June/July 2013
Am planning my first Camino from St.JdP and will want a fabulous pedicure in Santiago - or Fisterra? Recommendations welcome.

Thanks much,
Judith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here's more about that fishy pedicure!

Attachments

• fish pedi.jpg
    fish pedi.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 438
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have heard about these skin-eating fish. As someone who has layers of calluses on many parts of both feet, I'm wondering if these guys would eat all of them away. It's pretty painful when a blister appears under a callus, and my impression is that un-callused feet blister less than feet like mine, is that right? But more to the point of this thread, has anyone ever had one of these fish pedicures?

peregrina2000 said:
I have heard about these skin-eating fish. As someone who has layers of calluses on many parts of both feet, I'm wondering if these guys would eat all of them away. It's pretty painful when a blister appears under a callus, and my impression is that un-callused feet blister less than feet like mine, is that right? But more to the point of this thread, has anyone ever had one of these fish pedicures?

My family and I lived in Japan for many years when the "skin-eating fish" pedicure because popular. Of course, we often took advantage of it and had fun, especially the children. Here are my suggestions. Do it. Go with a friend (or at least and acquaintance) - you want to share the experience with someone. Be prepared to giggle - it tickles!! Do not expect to have your feet transformed, which is what I think you are expecting. These fish are more like goldfish and less like piranha, LOL! - Kathy

Worth contemplating:
Experts' Shocking Warning: Don't Let Fish Chew on Your Feet
By Patrick Morgan | February 28, 2011 12:26 pm

The next time fish-pedicure enthusiasts dunk their feet in a vat of squirming, skin-nibbling, toothless carp, they may get more than they bargained for—especially if those fish just feasted on diseased skin. Health officials, fearing the spread of infections, have now launched a major investigation into this allegedly fishy beauty technique.

In the UK, fish pedicures are booming, which is great for beauty clinics because the procedure costs upwards of £50 ($81 U.S.). Visitors place their feet in a tank full of Garra rufa fish—a variety of Turkish toothless carp—and sit back while the fish eat away their dead skin. These foot-fetishistic fish have been nicknamed “doctor fish,” and though more and more UK citizens are dunking their feet, the UK’s Health Protection Agency (HPA) has a hunch that this procedure may be doing more harm than good.

Over the past six months, several environmental health officers have contacted the HPA about the dangers of fish pedicures, leading to the present investigation, which hopes to discover whether fish spa pedicures spread infections. Quoting an HPA agency member, BBC News reports:

“Alongside colleagues in environmental health, Health Protection Scotland and the Health and Safety Laboratory, the HPA will examine the most up to date evidence of any possible risks associated with Garra rufa fish pedicures and will publish guidelines that will be available UK-wide.”

If commercial fish pedicures are banned, the UK would be following the lead of 14 U.S. states that have already outlawed the procedure. In the U.S., the major concern was how spas reuse the fish on many customers—a practice they’re forced to do because Garra rufa fish are pricey.

But salons are defending their practices by pointing out that diseases don’t stand a chance in their UV-lit, filtered tanks. And their position is buffered by the little fact that there are as yet no known cases—at least to the HPA’s knowledge—of fish-spa-induced infections in the UK. Despite this fact, just the thought of dunking one’s feet in the same vat of fish as countless other people is enough to make them squeamish, according to the Daily Mail:

Customer Max Langton, from North London, said: ‘I had a pedicure from one of the new high street chains. I was put off when a man sitting opposite me said he had something wrong with his foot and hoped the fish were enjoying it.’ He added: ‘We were asked if we had any fungal infections, but no one checked.’

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, falcon,

Actually, I can't imagine letting a human being, much less a fish, mess with my feet! I have heard similar stories of infection about the fish-free pedicures, but I know they are very popular.

Thanks, all,for the info -- particularly about the fish nibbling pedicure! With it being questionable hygenically, will give that a miss.

Anyone had experience with excellent conventional pedicures in Santiago?

Thanks,
Judith

When I was in Santiago in May last year, we were surprised that you could NOT get a pedicure at the Parador. We were told that you will need to look for a salon just outside of the old town of Santiago. I would also make sure I had the pedicure in Santiago - I don't think you will find one in Finnisterre.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
peregrina2000 said:
...my impression is that un-callused feet blister less than feet like mine, is that right?
I have a friend who has walked 4 caminos now. She always takes a pumice stick and uses on her feet every night. (Uses it at home too.) She tells me she has never had a blister.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just a note on those tickle-y fish pedicures. We never had, nor heard of anyone having, a problem with them. I wonder if they are any less hygenic than those pools of water one walks through on the way to a public swimming pool. If I had never had a fish pedicure before (as previously mentioned, our family enjoyed them several times in Japan), I would go for it as long as the place looked like a reputable salon. Of course, wash your feet before and after.
I also like the idea of using a pumice stone during the Camino. Makes sense.

falcon269 said:
Many "beauty shops" offer pedicures. Look for a peluqueria. :D

I wish i'd thought of this whilst hiking! I would have happily payed for one every few days. At the albergue in Molinaseca I was given a foot massage by another pilgrim and I could have asked him to marry me right there, unfortunately he was a super fast walker and I never saw him again :D

In Santiago I use and highly recommend:

Clinica Podologica Galastur
Avendia de Lugo 5, Bajo
Santiago de Compostela

Tele: 881 959 183

The office is opposite the train station and they will also call at your hotel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back