• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wanted To Say Hello & Have A Few Questions!

Srg.Gnz

"Hello!"
My name is Sergio and I just purchased my airline ticket for July 25th to Paris and return to Los Angeles from Madrid on Aug 28th (I'm hoping this gives me enough time).

As you could imagine, I have a ton of questions, but I'm sure I'll find them out as I surf the site more... or on the Camino itself! (HA!)

Here's a couple:
1) Judging from the days I have set for this trip, if I arrive in Paris at 9am, should I immediately hop on the train to Bayonne, or can I enjoy a couple of hours in Paris 1st (I'm asking because I've never been to Paris and wondering if I'd be Ok time-wise).

2) Is it possible to mail myself things from the US to certain stops along the way (extra set of clothes, protein bars, etc). If so, what's the easiest way to make this happen?

3) I have an Osprey Atmos 65 from climbing My Whitney. Is the general consensus that a 65L is too big, or is it still Ok if it's 1/3 empty? (trying not to purchase a med sized pack that I might not use again).

4) Vibram Five Fingers - I LOVE mine. I have 3 pairs for different activities. What's the thought of these on the Camino?

5) Gracias a todos por su ayuda! / Thanks to all for your help with these!

OH! & if you know of anyone also on El Camino during when I'll be there, feel free to connect us!

Thanks again!

Sergio G.
https://www.facebook.com/superserg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sergio: I can answer your question re Paris as I stayed a couple of days in Paris before I left for SJPDP. I would stay at least one night if I were you. If I remember correctly my train to Bayonne left at 8:30 am anyway so you might be too late arriving at 9 am. What I would do is find a cheap hotel for the night, pre book it, drop of your knapsack at the hotel and buy a ticket for the hop on hop off bus. This way you will see it all quickly. It is about 2 hours. There is also a river boat cruise if you buy a ticket for the right tour. My travel agent arranged it all before I left andI had them in my hand when I arrived in Paris. Also get your travel agent to book your train ticket too. It doesn't cost any extra for them to book. You will change at Bayonne and depending on the day take a train or bus to SJPDP. I just came back on June 10th so my trip is pretty recent so this is why I know you can do it. You will be cutting it close July 25th to August 28th, but it can be done. when I walked I allowed 5 weeks and just meandered averaging 20 km a day. If you find you are pressed for time, you can always take the bus through the big cities such as Leon and Burgos or at least through the industrial areas on the outskirts of these cities. Just plan well. Don't over do it and you will avoid injury. Doing too much too soon is deadly, it's not a race it's a pilgrimage and don't forget the vaseline on your feet, liners and merino wool socks. Buen Camino.

Srg.Gnz said:
2) Is it possible to mail myself things from the US to certain stops along the way (extra set of clothes, protein bars, etc). If so, what's the easiest way to make this happen?

Maybe, but why? Why would you need to switch out clothes part way unless you'll be doing non-camino travel afterwards (which you aren't)? You can buy protein bars/food in Spain.

3) I have an Osprey Atmos 65 from climbing My Whitney. Is the general consensus that a 65L is too big, or is it still Ok if it's 1/3 empty? (trying not to purchase a med sized pack that I might not use again).

Test it with the kit you plan on taking. I have a 33l Osprey Talon that I traveled with last weekend and with pretty much my full kit it was less than 1/2 full and it just didn't feel good carrying it. But, that's because of the no-frame thing. I imagine your 65l has a frame. But still, it may impact how it carries to test it and make sure you're not tempted to fill it the rest of the way (which was the first solution that popped into my head as more volume would have made my pack carry just fine).

4) Vibram Five Fingers - I LOVE mine. I have 3 pairs for different activities. What's the thought of these on the Camino?

There has been discussion about this so I'd do a search. For me, I doubt they would work as they would not provide any protection from the rocky ground. But if you're ok for that and your feet are conditioned for it, go for it. Some people walk bare foot. Just make sure you train using them on varied terrain so you know what to expect.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sergio,
Just a couple of ideas from an older pilgrim who walks much more slowly than you are planning. Your plan is very ambitious but can be done however you will rush breathlessly through some beautiful scenery, past wonderful monuments, have time to only glance at some of the most amazing medieval architecture and religious art, all with no days off , you will be tired from your efforts since it will be very hot not to mention the possibility of blisters, sprained ankles, wacked out knees, back pain, sunstroke, respiratory aliments from close living in the albergues, all easily obtained along the way not to mention that opportunities for camaraderie with fellow pilgrims or pilgrimesses will be less if you are rushing about and fall behind on your timeline. If this is just a trial run for future pilgrimages go ahead and marathon it rush right through, if you are not sure about future visits why you will be missing quite a lot. The time span is a bit stifling, if you can change the dates, give yourself another week and should you arrive early in Santiago go on to Finistera or enjoy Paris another day or two. A 65 liter pack??? Spain is a civilized modern country anything you could possibly want or need is available, more clothes mean more laundry and synthetic cloth even when washed daily quickly becomes unpleasant to the skin and to the nose. The few articles not easily obtainable in Spain are 180 cnt bootlaces and possibly your Vibram Five Fingers so bring some spares. Any - Correos – post office - along the way will offer boxes and shipping to anywhere in the world have patience it takes a while. Do not turn yourself into a sweaty camel, I use a 35 liter Vaude more than enough. You stand before a great adventure and great joy, slow down and enjoy the ride!

Scruffy

first of all...have a wonderfull camino...i start on the !st august and have the whole month.
It is YOUR camino...if it is your first time in europe take an extra day in paris and get over the jet lag...there is no rule that says you have to do every one of the 1200000 steps to santiago...the first week id stunning...not to be missed....but you may consider bussing the Maeseta and doing 2 half caminos.

the pack seems rather large for what is essentially 33 day hikes back to back.If funds are avaliable grab a smaller one.

my friend loves his five finger shoes...and the old saying goes....a kilo on the feet equates to five kilos on your back. if you are used to walking in them you probably have already got that in built "avoid the rocks" mentality whilst walking.Go for it...worst case scenario...you hate it and buy a pair of running shoes in pamplona

I can only agree with nat2han, the exuberance of that first week, the pack size already mentioned, and while I love the maeseta, I walk it in the Spring when its green and flowers and cool, when there are incredible cloud formations, and you don't fear to die from sunstroke or dehydration or both. Busing through is an option but be prepared for the flak, “real” pilgrims don’t ride buses. “real” pilgrims walk until they drop, “real” pilgrims are…only stay in albergues, “real” pilgrims… well you understand. One last word from an older man with a bad back and worse knees, one who has walked from St Jean all the way through twice and once from Lisbon all in the last three years and all despite his joints. Shoes, proper shoes, ¾ height if you do take that 65 liter pack, will save you a lot of grief, you and many other people can do it in designer shoes such as Nike Adidas Reebok etc you may even make it through apparently unscathed, however “Will you still love me when I’m 64” comes around so much faster then you will ever believe so have mercy on your back, your knees, your ankles now so that you won’t pay the dues later with a chiropractor or the acupuncture who may or may not be able to help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sergio,

I read the above posts and like you I have a 60 liter pack. I considered buying another, but decided not to.
#1) My pack is very comfortable ( even loaded) and I'm familiar with it
#2) My pack has a a detachable cap pack that will reduce the weight/volume
#3) My pack is relative light at 2.3 kg.
#4) I think the secret is to not load the pack down with unnecessary stuff

I plan on using my pack, during normal backpacking here in Tennessee, my pack normally weighs about 11 kg total loaded.

I'm shooting for my pack to weigh < 7 kg when I walk in September.

Hope this helps

Snake

My Aarn pack is 55L with 12L capacity in the balance pockets. I easily resist the temptation to fill it! I do have to cinch down the compression straps so that everything does not descend to the bottom of the pack. If I carried a sleeping bag, it would use enough space to nearly fill the pack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for all the help and suggestions! Really appreciate it!

It's funny that the idea of taking a bus being negative is mentioned, as I was one of those people. In my gut, I wanted to take each step from SJPP all the way to Santiago (I've been dreaming about this hike for about 5 or so years)... but after thinking about this and realizing life is too short, I've come to the conclusion that yes, If I land in Paris, why not enjoy the city for at least a day. And also, if I fall behind on the walk, being able to have a bus to take me to the next city is a nice piece of insurance. The last thing I want is for this to become a race against time and yes, these days are locked, as I need to be back by the 28th.

Did everyone here use a travel agent to book their flights and acquire their train/buss passes? I've only bought the flight ticket but have yet to delve into the nights stay in Paris or the transportation to SJPP or from Santiago to Madrid. If I could, I'd definitely want to take care of these before I left.

OH! & to address the 65L Osprey, the frame and the way it sits around me feels GREAT and the suspended mesh back panel is a godsend (once you enjoy this added comfort, it's difficult to return to a pack that sits flat on your back). It does collapse fairly well, so I'm going to fill it with what I think I'll be bringing and feel its' weight to come up with a final decision. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again gang! REALLY appreciate it!

Buen Camino!

Sergio

Srg.Gnz said:
Did everyone here use a travel agent to book their flights and acquire their train/buss passes?

I never use a travel agent. There's no need if you have time to figure things out since you can do almost everything you want online. However, if you have neither the time nor inclination to do it on your own, an agent can be useful.

One last word concerning walking the Camino with a large pack, one is tempted enticed and drawn to collect an incredible collection of memorabilia, souvenirs, post cards, maps, calling cards, all 95% plain junk all thrown in with a bottle of that wonderful wine from last night (1 kilo) maybe a cooking pot or pan, leftover pasta in the box or a jar or two of that great tuna in olive oil, another book from the last albergue, a tin of Spanish smoked paprika found after great searching, a kilo or so of wet laundry, and I could go on. The smaller the pack the less flotsam and jetsam you will packrat onto your shoulders.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Sergio!

Loads of people get buses at some point, so it's not a problem. Spending some time in Paris to get over your flight is also a good plan. However, if you think you might end up short of time consider starting somewhere a bit beyond SJPP such as Pamplona. That way you can stay with your group of friends for the whole Way, and once started you don't have to worry about bus schedules etc.

Buen Camino!

If I land in Paris, why not enjoy the city for at least a day.
You may spend as much money for a day in Paris as you will spend your first week on the Camino, and end up disliking the French, too! Everyone is different, of course, but many pilgrims find that big cities at the end of a camino are real attitude spoilers. At the beginning, they may also be a distraction from becoming acclimated to the village experience of a rural walk through France and Spain.

I have never had a negative word spoken to me in several months in rural France, and have never had a friendly word in Paris unless it was associated with my wallet. Just saying ...

Regardless of what you do, buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I mentioned before, I just returned from the Camino and spent a few days in Paris first. I loved it. I stayed in an inexpensive hotel, 270 euros for three nights. Very basic but clean, within walking distance of the Seine. Would walk down to the Seine and along to Notre dam and cach the hop on hop off bus there. As I said before my travel agent prebought most of my tickets which when one is pushed for time is a great idea, she even bought my train ticket. The thing with booking with a travel agent is, if anything goes wrong they fix it. I have travelled a lot, used to book my own things but do not any more. I got stuck in the UK during the Iceland volcano ashes a few years ago and because I was booked with a travel agent it was up to her to get me a flight out. She kept booking me everyday and holding the seat, waiting for the day the ashes alert was lifted. We can't do that, travel agents can. Anyway, back to your trip. If you are that close to Paris, do not miss it! It is a fabulous City. It would be different if you lived in Europe but you don't you live a long way a way, as do I. A word of caution, check out the train station the day before you go to Bayonne or get there early. The train leaves at 8:30 am I believe. It is a very busy train station and I found it a little confusing. There are commuter trains in one section and then the cross country trains in another. If you want to private message me I can give you the link to the hotel.I would stay there again, so this gives you an idea of what I really felt. It worked out to 57 a night each as I shared with my friend. Hope this helps. Julie

falcon269 said:
I have never had a negative word spoken to me in several months in rural France, and have never had a friendly word in Paris unless it was associated with my wallet. Just saying ....

maybe you're doing something to alientate Parisians. just sayin'

I've been there as a poor student. I've been there as a businessman. I've been there as a tourist. I've been there in the company of immigrants. I can't corroborate the stereotypes given to Parisians.

A tip which may be useful. I've spent a bit of time in Paris in the last few years, and always stayed away from the monumental end of town. Ideally, I'd stay in the Marais, but the adjacent Bastille area is cheaper. From the Marais, it's a walk to the Seine and other interesting spots.

I say this because I prefer things cute and cosy, like the best parts of Sydney, and the Marais and Jewish Quarter feel much homier, while being old and elegant. Right in the middle of it all you have the lovely Place Vendome, which is "huggy" and human-scale, in spite of its renown.

So if draughty nineteenth century boulevards aren't your thing, you might prefer that end of town. Just a thought.

I'll bet you have a great Camino in any case.

Bon chemin

Rob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wanted To Say Hello & Have A Few Questions!

I have used http://www.airbnb.com for inexpensive places in Paris, and had great experiences. Once I had a studio apartment for a week cheaper than any hotel, and the other time I slept in someone's spare room for 18€.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
vagabondette said:
lhlyda said:
#3) My pack is relative light at 2.3 kg.
WOW! That's almost half of what my entire pack weight will be - including pack!

Ok Vagabondette,

You shamed me into re evaluating my pack! lol

I bought an Osprey Talon 33 at .92 kg

I think I will like it better and I'm sure my old dogs will appreciate it!!!

:D

Snake

lhlyda said:
Ok Vagabondette,

You shamed me into re evaluating my pack! lol

I bought an Osprey Talon 33 at .92 kg

I think I will like it better and I'm sure my old dogs will appreciate it!!!

Woo Hoo! Shaming people is what I'm all about! ;)

Seriously though, I'm certain that your entire body will thank you for carrying less weight. The talon is nice, I'm not looking forward to having to return mine. :(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've heeded the advice here and decided to leave my Osprey Atmos 65 and take the Osprey Stratos 36 instead. Think it's the best decision and the Stratos also has my favorite feature, the suspended mesh back panel.

V, why are you returning your Talon? Was there damage to it?

Thanks again gang,

Sergio

Srg.Gnz said:
I've heeded the advice here and decided to leave my Osprey Atmos 65 and take the Osprey Stratos 36 instead. Think it's the best decision and the Stratos also has my favorite feature, the suspended mesh back panel.

V, why are you returning your Talon? Was there damage to it?

Thanks again gang,

Sergio

I think you'll be much happier with the smaller pack.

The Talon is great, it's just too big. I need about a 20l pack for my camino stuff. The problem is that I'm traveling for an additional 3 months after the camino so I need a pack that is big enough to carry some cold-weather gear. The talon would be great for that but since it has no frame, when it's only 2/3 full it's awkward to carry because the bottom bulges.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back