• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning - Weather going nuts in Portugal.

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Ahhhhhh, Diogo it's back with its warnings. Good to know upload_2014-6-16_22-22-25.png:D

Ok guys, now seriously, for those of you who are going to start walking after Reading this, bear in mind some things that I have to say to you.

We are having some heat wave since the end of last week. Today the thermometers reached 34ºC in Lisbon, and last Saturday they reached 38ºC. BUT, hold on, they say that the weather it's going to change starting from today,

Temperatures will fall about 10ºC, and this can change the environment around you. Warm nights will pass to cooler and colder nights.

And the better part, RAIN! Yes, my good ol' friend it's coming back. I love rain. It's preferable than the heat to be honest. For those starting northern from Coimbra, this it will be worst, since that area of the country has more hills and mountains. For those starting in Lisbon, some drizzles may appear. And rain too, but not so early.

So for you who are starting on a nearby future, here are some advices:
- Check out ipma.pt for the weather forecast in Portugal;
- Take a fleece. We are not still in summer season, and nights can get cold (and mornings too);
- Remember the rain gear that you wanted to let at home? Well, consider it again. It might save you from some cold.

So, you are warned. Don't tell me later that nobody warned you :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, Diogo, since I'm leaving for Spain tomorrow, I will thank you very kindly to keep all the crazy Iberian weather on the Portuguese side of the border! Laurie

Computer says no :p

The rain in Spain falls mostly in Galicia.:)

I think that, that data it's actually correct. In Galicia, and in the border with Portugal (Zona Raiana).

Ahhhhhh, Diogo it's back with its warnings. Good to know View attachment 10910:D

Ok guys, now seriously, for those of you who are going to start walking after Reading this, bear in mind some things that I have to say to you.

We are having some heat wave since the end of last week. Today the thermometers reached 34ºC in Lisbon, and last Saturday they reached 38ºC. BUT, hold on, they say that the weather it's going to change starting from today,

Temperatures will fall about 10ºC, and this can change the environment around you. Warm nights will pass to cooler and colder nights.

And the better part, RAIN! Yes, my good ol' friend it's coming back. I love rain. It's preferable than the heat to be honest. For those starting northern from Coimbra, this it will be worst, since that area of the country has more hills and mountains. For those starting in Lisbon, some drizzles may appear. And rain too, but not so early.

So for you who are starting on a nearby future, here are some advices:
- Check out ipma.pt for the weather forecast in Portugal;
- Take a fleece. We are not still in summer season, and nights can get cold (and mornings too);
- Remember the rain gear that you wanted to let at home? Well, consider it again. It might save you from some cold.

So, you are warned. Don't tell me later that nobody warned you :p

Lovely -weather like in Finland, then. I'm used to that...

Makes me verryyy happy that I hiked from Leon to Santiago in May. Seventeen straight days and not one drop of rain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"The rain in Spain falls mostly in Galicia.:)"

When I was in Galicia, it rained almost everyday. I kept thinking about the phrase in My Fair Lady;
"It rains in Spain mainly in the plains."

But I guess that phrase was just a phrase with no truth to it.

I'm starting from Lisbon on Sunday and I will enjoy the cooler weather. Like Diogo I prefer rain for heat. I have been watching the forecast for Lisbon and Porto and it seems like it is cooling down after some very hot days.

The rain in Spain falls mostly in Galicia.:)

Hey Tony! I'm glad to see you back on here! We haven't chatted in a while so I was wondering how you have been doing. I hope you are well and walking! Cheers from PEI. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
:) Heather, good to hear from you. Tried to contact you via Face Book :( but had no luck. Just got my ticket to Portugal. Sept 1st to the 24th. I'm doing great. I have taken up golf. I find it to be fun :) and frustrating :mad: all at the same time but good exercise ;). I walk the links, I don't ride a cart. Cardiologist has given me a clean bill of health sooo I can start some serious walk training. Plan on 2 whole days in Lisbon then walk to the far Train Station and go by train to Porto. Do the coast for a few days then back to the main route to Santiago. We are going to take our time. If we don't make it to Santiago, it's ok. We got there last year. This time around we want to stop and see the local sights, take the side trips off the beaten path, and meet the people. 8 days from Porto to Tui and 8 days from Tui to Santiago then back to Lisbon and home. Watch for my "Tails from the Rack, Yack, and Snack nShack" on my Face Book page /tony.rice.1485. Friend me so you can follow. I have never done a blog and it to late to try and learn. I will also do regular posts on this sight.

Hi Tony,
Make sure you take a side trip to Braga. There is a free walking tour (ask at the tourist office) and I was lucky to be shown around by a young archeologist. It’s a wonderful little town and really beautiful. One of my favourite places in Portugal.
Cheers, Grace

Makes me verryyy happy that I hiked from Leon to Santiago in May. Seventeen straight days and not one drop of rain.
Was your wife there, if not it never happened.;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Things evened out the next 4 days as I "enjoyed" Portugal-4 straight days of heavy rains.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back