A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

washing powder

Camino(s) past & future
8 march 2018 the french way
where there are washing machines can you purchase washing powder from the establishment? eg/ just for the one washing load.

Advertisment

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Sometimes. If not, a local mercado may have some.

trecile

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
Every time I used a washing machine the detergent was provided. In fact some places have washers that automatically dispense the detergent.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago 2017
Most places, yes. Many places offered wash/dry service for about 5-6 euros, which was fabulous and well worth it. I used a soap block from Lush I carried in a tin for hand wash when needed. At public facilities the soap is automatically dispensed as part of the load..

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
Although many albergues have machine washers and sometimes dryers, you'll be washing by hand most of the time and hanging your clothes on a line to dry. Take a half dozen or so of your own clothes pins/pegs, paint them bright orange and write your name on them with a Sharpie--clothes pins/pegs are more valuable than bitcoins at most locations. I washed my clothes with the same bar of Ivory soap that I used for myself in the showers. My wife made us a couple of small nylon mesh bags with drawstrings for the soap. The mesh provided a good scrubbing medium for the trail dust and mud for the shower. Afterward, we'd hang the soap in the mesh bag on the end of our bed and it would be dry the next morning.

Advertisment

Oravasaari

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Fistera (2015), Leon to Fistera (2016), CF, Salvadore, Primitivo (2017), CF run/walk 2018
I take a bar of olive oil Marseilles type soap that works for having a shower as well as laundry.

HedaP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017
This is one thing to cross off your list of perfectly sensible questions.;) Almost all albergues with washing machine facilities also provide washing detergent. They don’t want you messing up their costly machines with anything you might use as a substitute.
And if not, then soap powder is available in every supermarket and small tienda.
Take less, not more and buen camino, peregrino.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June