• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water stops on Le Puy

MissTrant

Time of past OR future Camino
August ā€œ2019ā€
I have done a section of the Spanish Camino and was always able to find water. I believe Le Puy is less developed? Are there plenty of water stops?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wouldnā€™t say the Le Puy is less developed, just not catered to pilgrims like the Frances. However, I was always able to find fresh water next to church cemeteries. Another bonus on the Le Puy: churches are likely to be open, providing a nice respite from either heat or rain.

The Miam Miam DoDo guidebook is excellent and provides a map legend of available ā€œfontsā€ on the trail.

Last edited:
Agreed, there are plenty of small villages you walk through from Le Puy. On a day I expect to see less sources of water on any Camino or GR, I fill a 1.5 litre bottle and pack it on the top of my bag and carry 0.5 litre bottle in my pocket. That should suffice for even and excursion into the Sahel for a day. The added benefit of carrying a 1.5 litre bottle is to help someone else who did not plan ahead. I had to do this for couple of pilgrims at the Col de Lepoeder many years ago, they had started out from SJPdP without any water bottles.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I believe Le Puy is less developed?
France is more oceanic climate than Spain, therefore water is more abundant.
Furthermore, like @truenorthpilgrm wrote: in every cemetery in France you can find water you can drink.
I walk all Podiensis with 1L. I bring a 2L water bag for the Meseta.
There is not only wine in France, but also water !

[Edited by moderator to remove rude response]

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked the GR65 Le Puy to SJPDP just 7 months ago, in September. I had no difficulty with water along the whole route. However, itā€™s always a good idea to carry about a litre anyway. But yes, plenty of stops where you can fill your bottles and take every opportunity to do so. Itā€™s just good practice, on any camino.

There are many places to fill up your water. The miam miam dodo will help to find them.

Like others said, at cemeteries there's usually drinking water. Also, often next to the "mairie" there's a public toilet and / or water fountain. You can always ask the locals, too, they will know. Campsites also have drinking water.

It was very hot when I walked last year (june/july) but finding water was not an issue.

If you want to buy bottled water, that might be more complicated in some places since there are not as many shops and bars as on the FrancƩs.

But water from fountains is easily available.

Bon chemin!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Furthermore, like @truenorthpilgrm wrote: in every cemetery in France you can find water you can drink.
I think "less developed" was more referring to pilgrim infrastructure than to water sources, although water sources was the overall topic.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Efran has done a YouTube series and has made excellent notes for all toilets and water points of which there were many. We have just finished walking from Le Puy to Cahors and had no problems finding water or toilets but don't expect to find any shops selling anything much let alone water. There will be the odd cafe, boulangerie and if you are really lucky, an epicerie or a boucherie but it is best to get a picnic from your accommodation if they offer one as that is usually a good indicator to expect little ahead. If there is a shop, don't forget that it will be closed on Sunday and Monday, for lunch from 12 - 1:30 and on random days like a Wednesday or Friday (usually the day that you are walking through) and all public holidays which for us was 1st, 7th and 18th May. I think that was only about 5 days when we were able to get any food on the trail.
The Podiensis is not just a pilgrimage route but it is also part of the Grande Randonee network of walking routes so there are lots of people, mainly French, walking who are not doing the Camino, and during April/May they were out with their families and friends walking week-long sections and staying in the gites and guest houses.

Efran has done a YouTube series and has made excellent notes for all toilets and water points of which there were many. We have just finished walking from Le Puy to Cahors and had no problems finding water or toilets but don't expect to find any shops selling anything much let alone water. There will be the odd cafe, boulangerie and if you are really lucky, an epicerie or a boucherie but it is best to get a picnic from your accommodation if they offer one as that is usually a good indicator to expect little ahead. If there is a shop, don't forget that it will be closed on Sunday and Monday, for lunch from 12 - 1:30 and on random days like a Wednesday or Friday (usually the day that you are walking through) and all public holidays which for us was 1st, 7th and 18th May. I think that was only about 5 days when we were able to get any food on the trail.
The Podiensis is not just a pilgrimage route but it is also part of the Grande Randonee network of walking routes so there are lots of people, mainly French, walking who are not doing the Camino, and during April/May they were out with their families and friends walking week-long sections and staying in the gites and guest houses.
Thank you! This is so helpful šŸ‘

I wouldnā€™t say the Le Puy is less developed, just not catered to pilgrims like the Frances. However, I was always able to find fresh water next to church cemeteries. Another bonus on the Le Puy: churches are likely to be open, providing a nice respite from either heat or rain.

The Miam Miam DoDo guidebook is excellent and provides a map legend of available ā€œfontsā€ on the trail.
Thank you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[Edited by moderator]
Thank you. Thatā€™s helpful
I wonder why you felt the need to post such an unpleasant response to someone who was just asking for help from more experienced walkers. Everyone else understood what I was asking and gave helpful information

I have done a section of the Spanish Camino and was always able to find water. I believe Le Puy is less developed? Are there plenty of water stops?
I assume you mean the Le Puy route? From my own experience of walking in France (Chemin D'Arles) rural France has at least as many watering places as Rural Spain. A statement that Le Puy is undeveloped could be misconstrued

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I had no problem getting water on this route at all.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
Iā€™ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, thereā€™s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but Iā€™m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.