• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water update

LittleAkaloa

Hi all,

probably a silly question but here goes...

I presume there are plenty of places to buy water on the camino?

But...

what is the tap water like?

What is the river water like?

what are the best tablets to dose water (if suspect) with?

cheers
Graham

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bottled water was available at all the shops, bars & cafes that I stopped at from SJPP to Santiago.

Taps are fine, as are fonts unless they are marked 'non-potable' or 'sin purificado'. I can only recall one that was labelled so, very early on.

There are ample supplies of potable water, and no need to collect from local sources and treat it yourself.

I always carry a pack of Puritabs when I am travelling, but never needed them on the Camino.

LittleAkaloa said:
what is the tap water like?

What is the river water like?

what are the best tablets to dose water (if suspect) with?

Hi Graham, You won't need to worry about river water as there are lots of fountains on the Camino. You'll also be able to fill your water bottles in the albergue before you set off each morning.

Tablets aren't necessary. If you have any doubts about the water supply, buy bottled water - there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No need to buy bottled water, take filters, puritabs, etc. There are numerous fountains to refill bottles, so long as the are marked non-potable or sin purifico or non guarante. Also water from taps in the albergues and bars is safe. As a personal opinion, there is already enough polution on the Camino without causing more by unnecessarily buying water in plastic bottles. Spain is not a third world country. David

camino-david said:
No need to buy bottled water, take filters, puritabs, etc. There are numerous fountains to refill bottles, so long as the are marked non-potable or sin purifico or non guarante. Also water from taps in the albergues and bars is safe. As a personal opinion, there is already enough polution on the Camino without causing more by unnecessarily buying water in plastic bottles. Spain is not a third world country. David

If the fountains are marked non-potable or sin purifio or non guarante as you cite they are NOT drinkable! Only take water from fountains marked potable, purifico or guarante or, of course, from taps in the albergues and bars.

Happy splashing!

Margaret

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My apologies. A couple of hours ago I posted an entry re drinking water, in which I said that it was OK to take water from fountains marked non-potable, sin purifico or non guarante. Unfortunately I made a serious error, and should have said that water from these fountains is NOT drinkable. David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You won't need puritabs or filters. In most villages along the Camino You will be able to find a fountain with drinkable water. There You can refill Your bottle. A 1 liter drinking bottle covers a good distance. Obey 'non-potable' or 'sin purificado' signs in Spain. Tabs are fine and safe. Carrying Your own drinking bottle there is no need to buy water in plastic bottles and You help the nature. Rivers and streams i found very clean along the Camino. Walking in the summer, it's always enjoyable to make a stop on a stream and let Your feet cool out in the refreshing water.

Buen Camino!

I would be careful with the fountains and public water sources in the Meseta, I became sick after drinking from one fountain in the Meseta. Furthermore there are quite often reports about sick people in the Meseta. I would suggest to buy water in bottles there or drink only from taps in the buildings.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice. Your help has made things a lot easier to prepare from waaaayyyyyy over here in kiwiland. :D

adios amigos see you on the camino maybe :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
camino-david said:

Sorry David, but neither are France and Australia, yet both my wife and son managed to contract giardiasis in these countries respectively.

Spain's status as a western European nation does not negate the legitimacy of people's questions in search of a better understanding of any potential risks and, as well as using potable sources, I for one will be buying bottled water en route.

Bottled water is readily available along the Camino.
So is lovely clean and safe water from the fountains in each village. This is Spain, not Mexico.

If you've had giardia, I can understand how you might be concerned.

Unfortunately, those insidious plastic bottles are strewn all along The Way and make up a huge part of the litter left by careless pilgrims. I've personally picked up dozens and carried them to trash receptacles in the next villages.

A better option might be to carry a stainless bottle and fill it with water you've boiled each night (if you're that worried).

I personally know of no person who's gotten sick along the Camino from water. There have been reports on occasion, but those have almost always turned out to be a flu bug or food poisoning from eating food carried in the backpack too long.

Joe drank out of one of those "non-potable" fountains last trip. In explaining our dilemma to a local person, we learned that what that "non-potable" meant in this case was that the water has NOT been treated. His solution was a trip to the closest bar and a few shots of whiskey. He never had any symptoms of stomach distress.

Hi All,

Again thanks for the advice.

I thought there would be no problem but we over here in New Zealand used to have pure water in our rivers but now, with Intensified Diary farming, have real issues with water quality.

In fact we now have some of the most polluted rivers in the world, but there are big moves to fix this and this problem should go away soon (i hope)

Thus my question was one of ensuring we are prepared and clarity around what is the right thing to do.

For us we want to minimise the use of plastics to 4 bottles for the whole trip and use water from any sources and purify it with our Steripen (a great gadget). Thus we are self sufficient, have a back up plan, reduce pressure on supply, and reduce our foot print on the environ's.

We are all priviliged to have this wonderful opportunity and we should all respect the camino, its people, resources etc... for the future.

Thank you Spain and thankyou to all the "Camino people" that do such great work. I can't wait to start walking

Cheers

Graham

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would query the comment that Spain is not a third world country: but let's not get political!
Have caution drinking water. Many Spaniards drink only bottled water, using the mains water for cooking, bathing, flushing etc. Having said that I have no hesitation drinking from 'potable' fountains etc., as one's exposure to highly calcified water is only going to be for a month or so, which shouldn't be a problem at all. By all means use some form of purification if you prefer.
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hello Little Akaloa

From one Kiwi to another - I really appreciated you asking this question and the advice you have received.

Anyone, anywhere can drink infected water - I personally got a bout of giardia from a DOC hut in the Marlborough Sounds, NZ in the late nineties. Not recommended - definitely not something you would wish on anyone.

I like the sound of this little gadget you mentioned and will have to ask Uncle Google about it - any advice welcome.

So, I live in Wanaka and we head away in LESS than FOUR weeks - just a little bit excited now! Possibly starting at SJPDP around May 10/11.

I totally agree with your sentiments and gratitude about the Camino and the opportunity it presents. Buen Camino! and maybe we will see you on the way. Best, Cathie-Therese.

I have just found a useful American manufactured product in a local outdoor equipment store called bobble, which is a BPA free plastic water bottle with a built-in carbon based filter. Although not for use where water is microbiologically unsafe i.e. sin purificado, acting like a portable Brita filter it will definitely improve the taste of tap water and refilling it will reduce the need to buy bottled water.

I already have a 500ml plastic Thermos bottle which I intended to top up with bottled water at the point of purchase (and simultaneously dispose of the empty bottle too!!), and will now also carry a bobble for refilling from potable sources on the camino.

Bobble details are here:

http://www.waterbobble.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This issue was presented before. And some of you didn't like my answer. But this is what I use any time I travel around the world. (third world countries, like Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina, -most of South America) and NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE TAB WATER.
I use "GSE" Grapefruit Seed Extract..
I found this:
"First Aid for Drinking Water - it is known to kill cholera even. let alone ecoli.

GSE is ideal as a safe and simple way to treat drinking water when camping, back packing or in any emergency situation where safe drinking water is not obtainable, and boiling(or distilling) is not practical.
Available water should first be filtered. (At the very least, let suspended particles settle.) Retain the clear water and add 10 to 25 drops of grapefruit seed extract(less for questionable tap water, more for stream or pond water) for each one gallon of water. Shake or stir vigorously and let sit for a few minutes. A slightly bitter taste may be noticed. This is just the inherent taste of the GSE. "

Buen camino
:D

Ok, first I want to point out that the term "third world country" is outdated and considered offensive by many. It died when the Cold War ended. The more appropriate term to use these days is developing nation. You also need to be clear about what category you're using when applying the term as some countries would be considered "third world" with regards to human rights but not with regards to infrastructure and safety. Sorry to have a bit of a rant but I've seen several countries listed as "third world" in this thread that do not even remotely qualify. Mexico, where I live, being top on that list of countries that people refer to as "third world" when it's not.

Anyway...what you do depends on your comfort level and previous exposure to random bacteria that you may have developed a tolerance for. When I first started living in Mexico I used my steripen. Then I got sick of it and chucked it. Now I drink bottled water or, in some places, tap water. Most people don't realize that the tap water in most cities in Mexico is fine, it's the old pipes I worry about. I've never been sick.

For the camino I'll use the local fountains and no purification. I've never gotten sick from water anywhere I've traveled so it's very low on my worry list.

For those who are going to buy bottled water, perhaps you can get a group and buy one huge bottle to refill your small bottles. Not only will it be cheaper for everyone than buying individual bottles but it'll result in less waste.

First I apologize if I offended you, Vagabondette. It certainly was not my intention.

Political correctness is something that seems to change day to day, and I guess I'm not up to date. :oops: Even my 27 year old walking partner in 2009, who was born and still lives in Mexico, referred to it as a "3d World Country," so I guess she also was not up to date. We will try to do better.

Second, I know personally many, many people personally who have gotten sick from drinking water or eating fresh produce in Mexico (I currently live in Palm Desert but worked at Sasabe National Wildlife Refuge on the border of Mexico for quite some time). Whether this illness was from poor sanitation or old pipes, I know not.

On the other hand, I know of nobody personally who has gotten sick from drinking water in Spain. I've only been to a few Mexican border towns and have been pretty much all over Spain. And so, I'm just speaking from my own experience, which I'm sure is limited.

Third, I realize some people tend to get sick drinking water from anyplace different, and some do not. I have a cousin who gets sick from drinking the water in Hanford, California where we were born. And so, if you are one of those people, especially one who has had giardia, which must have been a stressful experience, then bottled water makes sense.

In the end, my only concern really is not what kind of water you drink but that people who purchase the plastic dispose of it properly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
OK as per definition in the Wikipedia Encyclopedia the term "third world country" can be used interchangeably with "developing countries".
"Over the last few decades, the term 'Third World' has been used interchangeably with the Global South and Developing Countries to describe poorer countries that have struggled to attain steady economic development. [3] Third World countries includes most of Africa, Latin America, and Asia."
I was born in one of those countries and I live 4 months a year in one of them and I think (it is only my opinion) we deserve to be called in that way.
But this page was dedicated to the use of "water". And I just told the forum what I use when I stay in Argentina and any time I travel to any other "Developing Country".
Buen camino. :D

:( Sorry, I really wasn't targeting a specific person with my post. It's just something that gets under my skin as most people I've met use the term "third world" not as a descriptive term for a developing nation but as a derogatory term for any country they think isn't as good as their own (not saying that anyone here is doing that, it's just my general experience). So, not only am I sensitive to it but I just had a big debate about it with someone yesterday so I'm sure I'm overly sensitive right now. So, my apologies, I should have just kept my mouth shut. :) Best of luck to all no matter how you handle your water situation. :)

Great info and debate.

lets not "type cast" anywhere aye! :D

Every where has plus's and minus's. NZ is entering 3rd world status in many things and has some of the best stats for many things as well... and while we have many great things we also have many poor things. So does every country.

NZ leads the word for youth suicide for example and yet is an amazing place to live. :?

The big thing is the Camino is one of the great things to do - in my mind. and water is just a minor issue.... but i don't want to ruin the experience by being under prepared. :oops:

It's all good :!: :D

Cathie therese...

We leave SJPDP about the 9th may and are in noooooo rush as we have taken "our life off'" 8) to do this and other things so if you see two taaalllll kiwis (as per our avatar) then say hello... Yay!

we are travelling from paris to Beyonne to SJPDP by train what are you wanakaian's doing?

cheers all... love the passion

Keep in touch

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
miamijhp said:
This issue was presented before. And some of you didn't like my answer. But this is what I use any time I travel around the world. (third world countries, like Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina, -most of South America) and NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE TAB WATER.
I use "GSE" Grapefruit Seed Extract..
I found this:
"First Aid for Drinking Water - it is known to kill cholera even. let alone ecoli.

GSE is ideal as a safe and simple way to treat drinking water when camping, back packing or in any emergency situation where safe drinking water is not obtainable, and boiling(or distilling) is not practical. "

Buen camino
:D
I'm not convinced by the claim that you refer to here. The author cannot be identified to determine what qualifications they might have to give substance to the claim, and even asks not to be quoted.

As far as I can tell, agencies like the US National Centre for Complementary and Alternative Medicine don't make such generous claims (see http://nccam.nih.gov/health/grapeseed/ataglance.htm).

Unless you have a better source for your claims, I don't think that you should be promoting this product as a water treatment option.

Regards,

hi All,

For your info...

http://www.steripen.com/classic

After many many hours checking all types of water treatment options i have decided on this option for travelling.

Why...

-No Chemicals

-Proven and this system is used by hospitals and treatment plants worldwide.

-Easy, fast, small, light, and economical.

-Safe.

easy decision for me. :)

Graham

I only drink Perrier on the Camino.

Not.

I drink from the fountains and the taps and plastic water bottles that I buy and re-use for a few days before I recycle them.

Last year, on a very hot afternoon, my husband and son accidentally drank some very cold water from a non-potable fountain. I watched them suspiciously for 6 weeks. They were fine, but I really wouldn't recommend it. I have had giardia (got dunked in the Amur river in the Russian Far East); it's not fun.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here we go again.
dougfitz I DO NOT RECOMMEND, "GSE". I just tell people what I use when I travel to "some countries" and stay there some time. I am 61 years old and before I found this product (20 years ago) I use to have problems EVERY TIME I TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD, may be coincidence, but when I started using this product in "some countries" my problems stopped (I am talking about , vomiting, diarrhea, etc).
ONE MORE TIME I DO NOT PROMOTE THE PRODUCT, I JUST USE IT. I DO NOT SALE THE PRODUCT OR HAVE ANY INTEREST IN THE 'GSE" BUSINESS
This is what I found in
http://grapefruitseedextract.org/
(I am sure this is an organization dedicated to promote "gse") (I'M NOT)

a Natural Antiseptic

GSE is a natural antiseptic and water purifier when potable water is inaccessible – in many areas of third world countries, water borne illnesses kill more people than all the non-communicable diseases put together. In today’s age of technological advancements and developments in health and medicine, this is a travesty at least. Grape fruit seed extract was found to be a very cheap, relatively easily accessible natural anti-bacterial and anti-protozoal when added to questionable water. It has also been discovered to be an anti-amebicidal in vitro (in test tubes in the lab). To disinfect, simply add ten drops of the liquid extract to visibly clear water, agitate for a short period, then let stand for a couple more minutes. If consuming river water, as much as 25 drops may be needed, once prior filtration has been done.

BUEN CAMINO MI SEÑOR

Hi all,

lets all take a chill pill and reeelax! 8)

It's - whatever "floats your boat" (or works for you)

individuals choice is the spice of life. If your choice works then thats cool!

For me a steripen is great... but not for others!

For some is whatever!... others its something else.

its all gooood.

happy easter :mrgreen:

Non-potable means the same thing in English as it does in Spanish...and it is spelled the same way.
po·ta·ble   [poh-tuh-buhl] Show IPA
adjective
fit or suitable for drinking: potable water.
noun
Usually, potables. drinkable liquids; beverages.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can vouch for the anti-microbial action of GSE...it is an amazing remedy
that few people know about.
BUT, as for adding it to water to sip on on the Camino: UGH!
The taste is SO BITTER, it makes me shudder just to think of it!
I think the bitterness chases away any living thing in the body,
with good reason!
UGH!
Now, granted, when I take it, I use 1/4 teaspoon in a 12 oz. glass of water.
I might try ten drops in a liter and see what that tastes like.

What about just taking GSE in capsule form prophylactically if one is hinky
about the water?

I have a particularly sensitive tummy and any doubtful water or food will set off a doze of the runs.

However I never had any trouble with the water in Spain but did have trouble with the food from some bars along the way!

On my first two caminos, I took a camel with me, not the large quadraped, but the water device with the long plastic tube...

I would put vitamin C tablets in it at the start of the day after I had filled it up from the refuge water supply. There was always a little left in the bottle at the end of the day and when I reached the refuge I would put my backpack on the floor next to my bed. A little while later I would always wonder why there was pee on the floor near my backpack. Eventually I realized I had been stepping on the rubber thingie at the end of the plastic pipe and the water was trickling out!

I gave up on the camel when it started to leak and it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.

cathietherese said:
I like the sound of this little gadget you mentioned and will have to ask Uncle Google about it - any advice welcome.
Steripen uses a UV light to kills all bacteria, it is supposed to be the same method used by some Municipal Water districts to treat their water.

We have used it during Boy Scout backpacking trips to the California Sierra Nevada without any problems. Biggest problem is that it needs clear water to work properly, you need to filter muddy water. Not an issue in the Camino I think.

Water could be drunk from stream in the Sierras but not any longer unless you are fairly high up.

Beware that there are several models, look for the life of the UV Bulb and the type of batteries it uses. I think the newest model is smaller and it uses standard rechargeable batteries.

This is the one I use, it's an older model
http://www.rei.com/product/799003/steripen-adventurer-opti-water-purifier

This is the newest model

http://www.rei.com/product/824898/steripen-freedom-water-purifier

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
capun said:
Steripen uses a UV light to kills all bacteria, it is supposed to be the same method used by some Municipal Water districts to treat their water.
My understanding is that the UV light doesn't kill, but disrupts DNA so that bacteria, viruses and protozoan cysts cannot reproduce once they have been ingested. In contrast, chemical treatments like Puritabs and Aquatabs kill directly, although that might take a little time depending on the amount of water being purified and strength of the chemical.

This appears to be the big advantage of the steripen - after filtering and treatment, the water can be used immediately.

capun said:
Biggest problem is that it needs clear water to work properly, you need to filter muddy water.
This is no different to chemical treatments, where one should remove as much sediment as possible before adding the chemical.

CarolineMathieson said:
Eventually I realized I had been stepping on the rubber thingie at the end of the plastic pipe and the water was trickling out!
I used a Source bladder that has a plastic cap to go over the mouthpiece. This protects the mouthpiece from getting contaminated with dirt and any associated nasties that might be around when you take off your pack and put it on the ground, floor, bench - provided that one remembers to replace the cap and not just leave it dangling! It also protects the mouthpiece bite-valve from opening when it is stepped on etc. This is when a positive closure valve, one that you have to turn or pull to open it, comes into its own.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.