• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof pants yay or nay?

Hannah91

Time of past OR future Camino
First time Pilgrim starting in June 2018
Hi,

First time Pilgrim getting ready to start in mid June and I have a few questions about what to pack.

Is it worth carrying waterproof pants or would I be okay with quick dry tights and a waterproof jacket?

Also how cold does the Camino get in June/July?

Any other packing tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hannah

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For warm weather, like during your time schedule for Camino, I would only be wearing shorts in the rain. Skin dries and the rain won't usually be chilly. If it is a cold rain, then a lightweight baselayer under shorts, or as JillGat said, a rain kilt. And for me, a poncho or umbrella for the upper body.

For walking between mid-June and mid-September, I would consider leaving them at home. However I would not travel at any other time without them - in addition to rainy weather, they are excellent as wind break, extra insulation, spare pants when everything else is in the laundry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Smart to leave them at home.
Camino in June I found to be mostly dry and occasionally chilly mornings and evenings. In July warm and dry all day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I advise NOT using rain pants. IMHO, they weigh too much. In June they are too hot. Instead wear convertible nylon fabric cargo pants. Over six Caminos, my preferred brand and style are the REI "Sahara" convertible pants. They are available for men and women. I find the sizing to be true to stated measurements, at least for men.

If these pants get wet, they dry out FAST. If they get soiled, just zip off the bottoms and wash those. Wring them out well and they will dry in open air, well enough to zip back on and proceed, in about 30 minutes.

Best of all, once the weather hots up, simply remove the bottoms and voila! you have shorts!

Carry less, do more...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Is it worth carrying waterproof pants

Yes in winter, and No in summer. They are not worth the extra weight in summer – wear shorts and get wet; you can dry out easy enough. In winter they are worth their weight in gold by doing double duty: keeping your trousers, socks and boot-tops dry, and as insulation against cold winds.
Jill

I walked in the summer and never even needed my rain jacket (although there was some rain that I managed by luck to avoid). I would say better light, quick dry pants than heavier and perhaps not quite as breathable waterproof pants.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I guess it’s a personal thing, but in all my years of hiking & traveling, i’ve never used a pair of waterproof pants. My go to hiking pants are the Columbia SIlver ridge zip off cargo pants. They’re so versatile. Not only do they turn into shorts when needed saving space in my backpack...they are light and dry super quick. So I don’t mind when it rains. Works for me. Some people hate hiking in wet pants, but as long as they arent made of heavy slow drying cotton, it doesnt bother me at all. Something to keep in mind about rain pants...they don’t breathe well at all, and you end up sweating A LOT! Other than that, whatver you choose...bien camino!

It's interesting how people's experiences vary. I'd probably leave rainpants at home for a June camino, but we had at least four days of torrential rain at the end of September, and I fell in love with my rainpants. They were a godsend.

What about the higher elevations of the Le Puy route starting on June 1st? I have super lightweight Frogg Togg rain pants, so weight is not the problem. But if I get cold sleet or rain I may regret not bringing them. I will have one pair each of wicking long pants and shorts and the Frogg Togg rain jacket. Is that enough protection for the "what ifs"?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I could see the argument for rain or waterproof pants in very cold/wet/snowy conditions. Again, for me personally (one who doesn’t do much winter hiking), i don’t see the need. But for others who get cold easily, even in the Summer, it just may make the difference in wether they enjoy a long trek or not. I would never tell anyone what works for them. Only what works for me. I plan to hike the camino in the Summer, and will use my quick dry zip off cargo pants from Columbia. If it does get cold, i plan to also bring some merino wool long johns by icebreaker. They dry quick too, and worn under my cargo pants should insulate me enough from any cold conditions i may encounter in the mountains. Bien Camino!

Last edited:
It seemed like I was in constant rain for the last half of my Camino. I brought a pair of rain pants. Maybe I just had a bad pair, but it seemed like all they did was trap rain and sweat. The third time the rain came, I didn't bother with them, figuring my pants would be soaked anyway, so why bother?

I found that I was much better off without the rain pants. My regular pants, similar to these,
https://www.cabelas.com/product/clo...mens-cedar-crossing-pant/2437097.uts?slotId=2

were somewhat water resistant and they dried very quickly, especially on those days when the rain would stop and the sun would come out. I think it might have helped that I had a longer rain jacket, one that went down past my waist. I think that might have acted like a mini-poncho to direct water off me.

In June I walked in shorts always, didnt even get my long pants out of the pack once. And a poncho for rain. Bare legs dry fast, and June was warm to very hot..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What about the higher elevations of the Le Puy route starting on June 1st? I have super lightweight Frogg Togg rain pants, so weight is not the problem. But if I get cold sleet or rain I may regret not bringing them. I will have one pair each of wicking long pants and shorts and the Frogg Togg rain jacket. Is that enough protection for the "what ifs"?[/QUOTE

Hi Camino Chris ,I will leave Cluny on 1/6 to walk to Le Puy weather forecast is for thunderstorms.Last year in June I was caught in a violent storm on the Vézelay route.I was wearing a Rab waterproof jacket ,lightweight rain trousers and using an umbrella and all to no avail.With the volume
of rain the roadd very quickly turned in to a river.I squelched along to my destination and I arrived like a drownded rat,soaked to the skin.In weather like this there is nothing that will keep you dry not even waterproof clothing.

Before taking waterproof pants, try them at home. I find they are quite hot and very difficult to get on and off. So go walking in the rain, then find a place to sit or stand and put them on. When the rain stops, take them off. Keep in mind that there will be few benches on the camino and lots of mud. Think of that mud on your boots as you change into/out of the pants.

I leave the pants at home!!

Before taking waterproof pants, try them at home. I find they are quite hot and very difficult to get on and off. So go walking in the rain, then find a place to sit or stand and put them on. When the rain stops, take them off. Keep in mind that there will be few benches on the camino and lots of mud. Think of that mud on your boots as you change into/out of the pants.

I leave the pants at home!!

Amen.... If I am forced to use anything to cover my legs, it is a rain kilt. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.