• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We Leave Tomorrow - I think I need a bigger Pack!

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
The final equipment check will take place tonight on the extended dining table.

My stuff one end, Pat's the other, and on another table, the 'post Camino' gear that goes into an Osprey Roller bag (Sojourn) Marvellous bit of gear. And a Forum patch right in the middle.....

Anyway, Pat keeps bringing out all these little bits and pieces. The conversation goes like this generally.......

Can I take this? (Shampoo for example)
Sure, if it goes in your pack..........

She weighs it on the letter scales.
It's 150 gms...............frown on face.
Have you got one of those small Nalgene 50 ml plastic bottles?

Yep. Here you are..........
She then decants 50 ml into the small bottle and weighs it...........

This happens a few more times, then as the pile of little bottles grows..........
Maybe I don't need these two
:)

So we have managed to squeeze into 34L and 22L Ospreys. And it is a bit of a squeeze.

Now I have to fit another gadget in!

A foam roller my Physio gave me today :eek:

It's only about 150 gms but big. I reckon I'll sling it under the pack.

Why take it?

Well, on my first Camino I started getting shin splints about 150 kms out from Santiago.
Ice, taping, meds, nothing seemed to help that much.

And after a few training hikes, I'm starting to feel that twinge again in one shin! :(

Obviously someone upstairs thinks that I get more out of walking a Camino with a slight burden to carry.......

So Pete my Physio showed me some handy taping today and gave me a lesson on the roller. Definitely worth taking along..........
As a tip, I always ask if I can video stuff like taping, so I can do it myself on the Camino if required............the tape seems to helping too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"We leave Tomorrow" - this is very good news.
Buen Camino!

You wrote somewhere else: ...though the tendonitis originally caused through training, is a chronic condition...

What was wrong with your training? I would think that even severe training is normally less exertion than the real camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Double "Muy buen camino!!" wishes, Rob and Pat!
All possible good wishes go with you for a healthy, deep, and joyful journey - and may the challenges be just enough (but not too much!).
I am really happy for you both.

My stuff one end, Pat's the other, and on another table, the 'post Camino' gear that goes into an Osprey Roller bag (Sojourn) Marvellous bit of gear. And a Forum patch right in the middle.....

Anyway, Pat keeps bringing out all these little bits and pieces. The conversation goes like this generally.......

This happens a few more times, then as the pile of little bottles grows..........

So we have managed to squeeze into 34L and 22L Ospreys. And it is a bit of a squeeze.

Why take it?

Well, on my first Camino I started getting shin splints about 150 kms out from Santiago.

And after a few training hikes, I'm starting to feel that twinge again in one shin! :(

Obviously someone upstairs thinks that I get more out of walking a Camino with a slight burden to carry.......

So Pete my Physio showed me some handy taping today and gave me a lesson on the roller. Definitely worth taking along..........
As a tip, I always ask if I can video stuff like taping, so I can do it myself on the Camino if required............the tape seems to helping too.

You're almost off! A very very Buen Camino to you both - may the aches and pains be minimal, may the tinto be plentiful, and may the hills and valleys carry you both safely to Santiago!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your post made me smile - i'm usually rationalising my pack right up until the last minute :D

Hope you both have a very "buen camino" look forward to reading your updates!

"We leave Tomorrow" - this is very good news.
Buen Camino!

You wrote somewhere else: ...though the tendonitis originally caused through training, is a chronic condition...

What was wrong with your training? I would think that even severe training is normally less exertion than the real camino.

Too much road walking. The pounding did it. Now we only do light training and ease in slowly on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino @Robo - hope you and Pat have a simply wonderful time, starting with a decent sleep tonight! Maybe see you in SDC.

So, Rob and Pat , your of soon..

Jippie! :)

I´m so excited and happy for you! Be safe! Take you time to smell the roses and enjoy your journey!
God bless you, the rice cooker, the foam roller and the stones in your backpacks.
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino! My only regret is that we are not walking at the same time so I won’t get to meet you two.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are approaching your final packing properly, weighing everything. The going joke is that, why worry (x) weighs virtually nothing?

Well, I and many others will assure you that too much ‘almost nothing’ Always ends up weighing too damn much.

Have a ‘Plan B’ for either donating stuff at albergues as you go along, or going to the local post office (Correos) to mail your excess down the road to Ivar. That is part of his business model.

He charges a nominal fee to receive and hold parcels, luggage, bicycles, and just about anything that can be shopped to him. About the only thing I have not seen when I stop by to visit is a cranky spouse...sent ahead by the other spouse as excess baggage...LOL!

I did five Caminos with a 46-liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack. Every trip I ended up sending three or four boxes to Ivar. It was starting to get ridiculous.

After all, I am a veteran at this and actually give advice. But I was not taking my own advice.

So, after walking from Lisbon last year, I called “B.S.” on the entire situation. I donated the 46-Liter bag at the Pilgrim House (Rua Nova #19) and bought a new Osprey Kestrel in 38-liter size, but with an actual 36-liter volume as I also moved to the S/M frame. This FORCED me to think lighter. The new bag holds 10-liters less than the old one.

But, I am a clever fellow. I thought of a myriad ways to cheat and pack even tighter. I only harmed myself.

I am now in Chantada, four days from finishing a 10-day Camino de Invierno. So far, I have shipped two boxes totaling 4.2 kg, or about 9.2 pounds, ahead to Santiago.

The first box went from O’Barco de Valedorras, after 3 days. The second went today, from Chantada, after 6 days. At Ponferrada, I had already sent a suitcase ahead to Santiago with stuff I knew I would not need until I got there.

Gone is everything that fell into the ‘just in case’ class. I am down to two clothing changes (one on me and one freshly hand washed, dried overnight and repackaged for the next day.

However, I have only the one pair of convertible pants I am wearing. The towel is gone, as is the sleeping bag liner because I sleep in commercial lodging each night.

So I am finally down to toiletries, medications, snacks, rain gear, sandals and flip-flops, and the one change of clothes (short sleeve polo, boxers, two pair of socks) in a one gallon zip lock bag.

I kept my fleece but mailed the long sleeve polo ahead. I have no idea what my rucksack weighs now. But I assure you, it is likely far less than I started with.

You need to ‘murder board’ every item. All pharmaceuticals and toiletries can be bought here. Bring your prescription medication.

Don’t worry about it. Adapting and overcoming is part of the camino culture.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are approaching your final packing properly, weighing everything. The going joke is that, why worry (x) weighs virtually nothing?

Well, I and many others will assure you that too much ‘almost nothing’ Always ends up weighing too damn much.

Have a ‘Plan B’ for either donating stuff at albergues as you go along, or going to the local post office (Correos) to mail your excess down the road to Ivar. That is part of his business model.

He charges a nominal fee to receive and hold parcels, luggage, bicycles, and just about anything that can be shopped to him. About the only thing I have not seen when I stop by to visit is a cranky spouse...sent ahead by the other spouse as excess baggage...LOL!

I did five Caminos with a 46-liter Osprey Kestrel rucksack. Every trip I ended sending three or four boxes to Ivar. It was starting to get ridiculous.

After all, I am a veteran at this and actual give advice. But I was not taking my own advice.

So, after walking from Lisbon last year, I called “B.S.” on the entire situation. I donated the 46-Liter bag at the Pilgrim House (Rua Nova #19) and bought a new Osprey Kestrel in 38-liter size, but with an actual 36-liter volume as I also moved to the S/M frame. This FORCED me to think lighter.

But, I am a clever fellow. I thought of a myriad ways to cheat and pack even tighter. I only harmed myself.

I am now in Chantada, four days from finishing a 10-day Camino de Invierno. So far, I have shipped two boxes totaling 4.2 kg, or about 9.2 pounds, ahead to Santiago.

The first box went from O’Barco de Valedorras, after 3 days. The second went today, from Chantada, after 6 days. I had already sent a suitcase ahead to Santiago with stuff I knew I would not need until I got there.

Gone is everything that fell into the ‘just in case’ class. I am down to two clothing changes (one on me and one freshly hand washed, dried overnight and repackaged horvthe next day.

However, I have only the one pair of convertible pants I am wearing. The towel is gone, as is the sleeping bag liner because I sleep in commercial lodging each night.

So I am finally down to toiletries, medications, snacks, rain gear, sandals and flip-flops, and the one change of clothes (short sleeve polo, boxers, two pair of socks) in a one gallon zip lock bag.

I kept my fleece but mailed the long sleeve polo ahead. I have no idea what my rucksack weighs now. But I assure you, it is likely far less than I started with.

You need to ‘murder board’ every item. All pharmaceuticals and toiletries can be bought here. Bring your prescription medication.

Don’t worry about it. Adapting and overcoming is part of the camino culture.

Hope this helps.
I’ve never heard the phrase “murder board.” What does it mean? From the context, I think I’d be a proponent.

It means challenge everything, nothing is sacred, nothing is assumed. Of course the phrase is a colloquialism used in analyst circles.

Back in the day, one of us would develop an hypothesis. Our colleagues would ‘murder’ the idea, try to tear holes in the original idea, and see what survives.

It does work. FYI, I was an intelligence analyst. We had to develop thick skins and very fast minds.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Buen Camino! You all have me wondering if we’re packing too lightly! We are starting the CF in mid September from SJPdP. I have a 40L Gregory that’s 13lbs without water, and my wife had a 28L Deuter that weighs in at 11lbs. Hope we’re not forgetting something! Good luck to all - we can’t wait to join the “family” :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took a roller last year as well and can't imagine being without one. I've never had any physical difficulties on my caminos and I still can highly recommend taking one. The one I took last year was light weight but it was about 8" x 14". this year I've found a smaller roller that is 4"x12" and even a little lighter.

All the best to you on your camino
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EANPFNU/?tag=casaivar02-20
1524064240597.png

Thanks for your post Robo, I leave Cape Town on 26th and am starting in Salamanca on 28th via VdLP then Camino Sanabres to Santiago - My pack is spread all over a spare bed i can see that t2andreo's murder board approach will be needed for me too - Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino! You all have me wondering if we’re packing too lightly! We are starting the CF in mid September from SJPdP. I have a 40L Gregory that’s 13lbs without water, and my wife had a 28L Deuter that weighs in at 11lbs. Hope we’re not forgetting something! Good luck to all - we can’t wait to join the “family” :)
Have you got a rice cooker? ;-)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Where are you and Pat now, Rob?
Imagining you both, someplace between Oz and SJPP.
Smooth travels, happy landings, and buen camino!!

A three day break in Bangkok with family (our second home). Getting some Yummy food before we start ;)

And shopping!
a multi pack of packet Thai noodles that Pat can cook for breakfast using coil and cup.
The smallest bottles of Toiletries we can find.....

I can see a few things getting ditched already on Day 2 :rolleyes:

A night in Paris Monday to get over jet lag, then down to St Jean on Tuesday.

Can’t wait.... :D

Last edited:
Robo,
You can't wait and all your digital friends can't wait to read of your journey!
May you both have a splendid walk with easy hills, clear skies and memorable moments.

Buen camino and in the truest sense Ultreia!
Margaret

Why take it?

You really made me laugh...Don’t worry about the weight, by now I am sure you have left some stuff behind...and if your pack is still heavy you’ll keep on leaving things along the way, with no remorse at all !!!
Enjoy your walk, enjoy your conversations and silences, enjoy the wine, enjoy the food, enjoy all !!!

MUY MUY BUEN CAMINO PAT AND ROB !!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Why take it?

When I had shin splints coming I pressed my foot with shoe on, on to an oval stone and rocked my foot back and forth. It did seem to work. Got good relief. Give it a go.

My husband and I may see you out there as we leave the last week of September from SJPdP. We, too, are packing light and hope to have no more than 10 pounds (4.5 kg) each without water. Hope to meet up with you somewhere along the way.

It’s pretty simple actually: one change of cloths, rain gear, warm gear and your toiletries.

Anything else you need, just buy it along the way

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Why take it?

Can you use walking sticks as a kind of roller? I roll out my IT band about every day. I plan on using my walking poles as a kind of roller.

Looks like we might need to cut short :(

Pat had cortisone treatment just before we left, for Plantaar Faciitis. I think the effect is wearing off. It only lasts a month.

She hobbled into Boadilla yesterday and we had to taxi to fromista where we had booked to stay.

Will have a day off in carrion and see if we can find a physio / doctor. Any recommendations? Or Leon?

If all else fails we'll be tourists to Sarria and try from there as she is walking this Camino for her departed mother.

Sxxx happens....

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Pat had cortisone treatment just before we left, for Plantaar Faciitis. I think the effect is wearing off. It only lasts a month.

She hobbled into Boadilla yesterday and we had to taxi to fromista where we had booked to stay.

Will have a day off in carrion and see if we can find a physio / doctor. Any recommendations? Or Leon?

If all else fails we'll be tourists to Sarria and try from there as she is walking this Camino for her departed mother.

Sxxx happens....

Oh, no.... I'm sorry to hear this. I'll be anxious to hear your followup as to what happens next. I hope things can resolve for you guys.

Sxxx happens....

Oh no! So sorry to hear this news, Robo. Bummer! I hope a little rest and some treatment (if you can find some) will allow Pat to keep walking. But if not, jumping ahead to Sarria sounds like a good idea. You guys have done so well to get this far managing your pre-existing injuries. Thinking of you both and sending best wishes.

Sorry to read this. I had that problem once. It took a few sessions with a physiotherapist, and regular exercises that I still do sometimes, to keep it at bay. Wishing you hope and strength.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.