• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We Walked it with a 14 Month Old

waveprof

Enthusiast
Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013, Camino Frances
So I couldn't decide which of the "Camino with a Baby" threads this best fit, so I decided to give it its own.

My mother, wife, and I just finished walking the Frances from May 21 to June 21 with our then 14 month old son, from Iruna/Pamplona to Santiago (and then Cee to Fistera). We went to St Jean on the 17, planning to leave on the 19, but that was the time of the snowfall that closed even the low road (!) on the 18. Some people did get out on the 19th, but we decided that with a baby it was best to bus around to Iruna. We also had planned to walk from Santiago to Fistera, but when we got to SdC we decided we were ready to bus to Cee and just walk from there. It allowed us a few days to rest up along the Basque coast.

From that point (Pamplona/Iruna), we walked the entire way to Santiago, sans one day that our baby (Kepa) was sent ahead by taxi with his grandmother for 10 km and one other day that we all went ahead by 10 km. Other than that he did the whole thing in our backpacks, staying primarily at albuerge's.

Anyone interested in more details can check out our blog at http://elpequenoperegrino.blogspot.com/. The post that most specifically deals with how we did it with a baby can be found at http://elpequenoperegrino.blogspot.com/2013/07/doin-it-with-baby.html

While there was plenty of skepticism early on, we did not run against a single negative comment, and Kepa became quite, quite popular with other peregrinos. Only one albuergue said a negative thing, and that was the albuergue run by the Dutch Evangelicals near Montjardin-----and even then their concern was not having a baby on premises, but rather the fact that he was going to share a bed with my wife (we were worried he'd roll out of his own bed). Worked out just as well because it allowed us to take the (prettier and easier) route over the top of Montjardin. Other than that, most albuergues actively worked to help us. A few even had baby beds and/or high chairs. Almost all saved us a private room or else worked to place us in the most private location possible.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with "most" babies, but if your baby has the right personality and you are willing to take on the additional challenges, then it can be a great experience. It was for us. I would highly recommend NOT doing it with a pushchair or buggie however. See the blog for reasons why.

Here are two pictures from Santiago:

9321423167_e0d385fbcd_z.jpg

9321398903_0143d5ede5_z.jpg

Thanks to all of the other peregrinos we met for making our trip so wonderful, for offering so, so much encouragement, for never being negative, for defending us to others, for making this a unanimously positive experience. Having read this forum ahead of time we anticipated a lot of resistance and negative looks and comments. We finished with nary a one. Instead, we felt a massive wave of support. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your baby is a real trooper.
My wife and I took our year old son to the Canadian Rockies. We were camping with our car, and planned on glorious mountain walks each day. Stephen did not cooperate. After the first day in the backpack, he resisted, fussed and cried everytime we put him in it. We went home early and sat in the lawn chairs while he played in the sprinkler for the rest of our holiday.

That was 28 years ago. August 25 Stephen will swim, bike, run Ironman Canada in Whistler, BC.

Amazing! What a wonderful experience for you all to share together! Thank you for sharing the photos...your little guy is a cutie.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stellere said:
Amazing! What a wonderful experience for you all to share together! Thank you for sharing the photos...your little guy is a cutie.

Thank you! Mostly he was/is happy. Which is the biggest factor on whether or not one should try this with a small child. Kepa was thoroughly happy on camino and in the pack. In fact, it was a much more difficult transition for him to leave the camino than it was to join it. He loved the repetition, structure, the meeting the same camino family every day, checking out a new albuergue every evening, and (more than anything) the walking. Other children, such as skilsaw's, would not be as happy. It doesn't make one better or worse, or more or less inclined to be active when older (see that skilsaw's son is currently being far more adventurous than I'll ever be in my life!). It is simply about baby personality. And I can't imagine doing the Camino de Santiago with a baby whose personality was shoe-horned into the life on the Camino.

So, as I say on my blog, yes you can do it with a baby, and yes it can be the best decision you ever made......but that doesn't mean that everyone should do it with a baby.

That's such a great, positive story. It'll be amazi.g for your bairn to look back on the photos in years to come.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
That's such a great, positive story. It'll be amazi.g for your bairn to look back on the photos in years to come.
Sorry NoQ, I didn't see your response till now. Thanks. It is and will be. Our son's favorite toys remain the child's walking stick given him by a shopkeeper in O'Cebreiro and a toy lobster pot given him by a shopkeeper in Euskal Herria/Basque Country.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked the Frances route in the fall of 2009 there was a young Israeli couple walking with a baby. I saw them for two days and then did not see them again- I think that it was out of Roncesvalles and the Zubiri. I always wondered how they made out along the way.

Your blog is extraordinarily informative and very thoughtful.
I am in the midst of planning a 3 generation 20June-9July walk that includes my 2 year old granddaughter, daughter, and son-in-law. From my past love of both LaRioja and Galacia, I am proposing to walk only the Pomplona/Logrono and Hospital/Sarria sections, with a rest day in Santiago to capture the experience of hugging St James, the Jesse Tree, the silver casket, the singing nun, and the swing of butafumerio.
I have a drawer full of compostela that I care little for, but have framed a few of my precious Credencial--so the compostela is easy to forgo at this point. I also believe that the Camino infrastructure and experience has been hugely distorted by the 'last 100km rule'.
Maybe this is an extreme example of 'the journey is not the destination', and depends on the wishes of the intermediate generation, but working hypothesis for now--more Spanish and Camino experiences in trade for no compostela.
Thank you so much for your post-camino insights in your blog!!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.