• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in 12 days

RussGianni

Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
Hi! I’m watching weather everyday! It’s my first Camino, from Tui to Santiago.( April 26-May 2) I’m using AccuWeather to see future forecasts, and everyday it changes! My question: When the weather calls for 60% chance of rain, what type of rain usually? Light drizzle? Downpour? I’m prepared with a poncho now. I realize this seems like a silly question, just trying to get input from past walkers to understand what this type of rain will be like.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When the weather calls for 60% chance of rain, what type of rain usually? Light drizzle? Downpour?
It could be any of those. But remember that when there's a 60% chance that it will rain that also means that there's a 40% chance that it won't.

There are weather sites that give more detail as to the amount of rain expected.
For example the MeteoBlue app shows the expected amount of rainfall along with the probability.

Screenshot_20240413_085828_meteoblue.jpg

It could be any of those. But remember that when there's a 60% chance that it will rain that also means that there's a 40% chance that it won't.

There are weather sites that give more detail as to the amount of rain expected.
Can you kindly provide me with a more accurate Web site that gives me this info?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have a poncho, smart pilgrim. I live where we might have four seasons and weather types in one day, so really, the best comment I can offer is congrats for getting the poncho.
Your next question, though you might not know it, is - which poncho type is the best? 😂
Have a wonderful camino.

You have a poncho, smart pilgrim. I live where we might have four seasons and weather types in one day, so really, the best comment I can offer is congrats for getting the poncho.
Your next question, though you might not know it, is - which poncho type is the best? 😂
Have a wonderful camino.
Well, honest I am on a budget here! I have looked at very expensive ponchos. I have one now that was within my budget, so that’s how I’ll roll! Also, I will only be carrying a very very small backpack( Jansport) and my other bag is being transported for me. Each day I will have a book, a water bottle, my poncho and my meds, with maybe a light extra pair of New Balance sneakers and a pair of extra socks! That’s it, so I guess I not need to worry about my things getting too wet! I hope! lol

Well, honest I am on a budget here! I have looked at very expensive ponchos. I have one now that was within my budget, so that’s how I’ll roll! Also, I will only be carrying a very very small backpack( Jansport) and my other bag is being transported for me. Each day I will have a book, a water bottle, my poncho and my meds, with maybe a light extra pair of New Balance sneakers and a pair of extra socks! That’s it, so I guess I not need to worry about my things getting too wet! I hope! lol
My poncho has no name. It works.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can you kindly provide me with a more accurate Web site that gives me this info?
For the first, Portuguese part of the caminho, this works...

It's the Portuguese government site. You need to input the district you're in, and then the town. So you *do* need to know what district you're in, at any given time.

It gives you 10-day forecast, with the first 3 days or so broken down into a lot of detail. We use it consistently in Portugal.
So
For example, Valença (which is in Viana do Castelo district):

I find the UV index and the "felt temperature"--that is "what it feels like"--very useful, as someone not all that comfortable with the really hot. Though that is probably not your issue in northern Portugal, this time of year ;)

Bom caminho!

Hi! I’m watching weather everyday! It’s my first Camino, from Tui to Santiago.( April 26-May 2) I’m using AccuWeather to see future forecasts, and everyday it changes! My question: When the weather calls for 60% chance of rain, what type of rain usually? Light drizzle? Downpour? I’m prepared with a poncho now. I realize this seems like a silly question, just trying to get input from past walkers to understand what this type of rain will be like.
I am not a fan of the poncho though they are popular. I use a waterproof jacket and have a waterproof cover for my rucksack. In addition I have dry (Waterproof) bags for my stuff which holds/ organise things in the rucksack.

My stuff has not yet got wet irrespective of the weather.

Some people wear waterproof trousers but I tend not to.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The real question to ask yourself is “regardless of the rain will I keep walking?” The rain may be a light drizzle, it may be an on going downpour, but will either make you stop? If you plan to keep walking then the rain doesn’t matter, it’s just another facet/lesson of the Camino. (A bonus of walking through a cold, rainy day-the absolute joy at having a hot shower and donning warm, dry clothes at the end of the day)

The real question to ask yourself is “regardless of the rain will I keep walking?” The rain may be a light drizzle, it may be an on going downpour, but will either make you stop? If you plan to keep walking then the rain doesn’t matter, it’s just another facet/lesson of the Camino. (A bonus of walking through a cold, rainy day-the absolute joy at having a hot shower and donning warm, dry clothes at the end of the day)
I’ll keep walking, rain or shine.

I’m using AccuWeather to see future forecasts, and everyday it changes!
Then you have already discovered why it’s pointless to look at long-term forecasts. Honestly, resist the temptation, it just creates unnecessary stress. Check back with the forecast the day before you leave if it’s going to impact what you pack, and don’t think about it until then. Good luck ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back